PDA

View Full Version : re: Jim O'Neil

swiper
01-26-2014, 05:57 PM
Saw this....

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/378800000703235351/b058c29fd881d7644ec7066c372fadf3_normal.jpegIan Rapoport ✔ @RapSheet (https://twitter.com/RapSheet)

#Bills (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bills&src=hash) have til Mon to decide if they’ll allow DC candidate Jim O’Neil to take CLE job. If not, Ravens LB coach Don Martindale is a target

Bunion
01-26-2014, 06:05 PM
He probably goes so he can get his promotion and so Schwartz can bring in one of his people.

better days
01-26-2014, 06:29 PM
Make them wait until Monday.

Jry44
01-27-2014, 06:58 AM
Make them wait until Monday.

Why? How does that benefit us?

You do realize that doing something like that "just because" would make it harder for us to draw top assistants int he future, right?

better days
01-27-2014, 07:24 AM
Why? How does that benefit us?

You do realize that doing something like that "just because" would make it harder for us to draw top assistants int he future, right?

Why would it make it harder to draw assistents in the future?

MANY teams have denied other teams permission to talk to Coaches.

It was reported that Green Bay refused to let the Bills talk to Van Pelt about the QB Coach job.

I think Schwartz should get a chance to talk to O'Neil first.

Jry44
01-27-2014, 10:52 AM
Why would it make it harder to draw assistents in the future?

MANY teams have denied other teams permission to talk to Coaches.

It was reported that Green Bay refused to let the Bills talk to Van Pelt about the QB Coach job.

I think Schwartz should get a chance to talk to O'Neil first.

Why would a positional coach want to come here to coach if the organization has a reputation for preventing guys from accepting promotions? I know that I wouldn't want to work for a company like that....

As was already stated, Schwartz is going to want his own guys anyway on his staff, so they probably won't keep him. They are probably just doing this until they get things figured out with the transition to make sure they have all of the bases covered. Sean Payton let Marrone go as soon as he accepted the Syracuse job so that eh could get to work, so I'm sure that Marrone will end up doing the same.

better days
01-27-2014, 12:15 PM
Why would a positional coach want to come here to coach if the organization has a reputation for preventing guys from accepting promotions? I know that I wouldn't want to work for a company like that....

As was already stated, Schwartz is going to want his own guys anyway on his staff, so they probably won't keep him. They are probably just doing this until they get things figured out with the transition to make sure they have all of the bases covered. Sean Payton let Marrone go as soon as he accepted the Syracuse job so that eh could get to work, so I'm sure that Marrone will end up doing the same.

It is a huge jump to go from a Coordinator to HC even if at the college level.

So you would not want a job with Tampa, Chicago, Green Bay or Pittsburgh among other places because they may hold you to your contract?

Jry44
01-27-2014, 01:50 PM
It is a huge jump to go from a Coordinator to HC even if at the college level.

So you would not want a job with Tampa, Chicago, Green Bay or Pittsburgh among other places because they may hold you to your contract?

If im a POSITIONAL coach (linebackers, dbacks, quarterbacks) , not coordinator, get offered another position of similar stature with a team with a reputation of holiding coaches back from bigger opportunities purely out of spite, then yes, I would be hesitant if it were my goal to move on to eventually become a head coach!

better days
01-27-2014, 10:05 PM
If im a POSITIONAL coach (linebackers, dbacks, quarterbacks) , not coordinator, get offered another position of similar stature with a team with a reputation of holiding coaches back from bigger opportunities purely out of spite, then yes, I would be hesitant if it were my goal to move on to eventually become a head coach!

Well, how often is a positional coach offered two jobs at the same time?

And even if that is the case, chances are both teams have held a coach to his contract in the past.

MANY teams have done that.