X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Already, A Second Idiot Mock Award Winner

This one is unique. The author, one Taylor Smith is purely conventional in his top 10 picks. No team is making a huge unsupportable reach. I haven't gone through to check team needs against his picks, so I can't really speak to that. His pick for the Bills is Greg Robinson. I'm not sure Buffalo will take an offensive tackle, but it's not impossible, and many mock drafts have them doing just that. Moreover, Robinson has been climbing draft boards so that in some cases he has been mocked as high as #2 overall, and the first tackle off the board, though most still have Jake Matthews going first among tackles. Taylor has won my "coveted" idiot mock award solely for his commentary on the Bills pick. He writes,

"The Bills have a lot of intriguing young talent on offense, they just need a few more guys to help give those players room to run. Robinson was dominant last season for the Wolverines, which led to him deciding to forgo his final season at Michigan and enter the draft. Cordy Glenn is fine on the left side, so Robinson could be able to suit-up opening day as Buffalo’s starting right tackle."

Ummm, Mr. Smith, Greg Robinson played left tackle for the #2 ranked Auburn Tigers.

A mere slip of the tongue, err fingers you say. He compounds his error 2 picks later. The pick is made by the Tennessee Titans, and they take Michigan Wolverine left tackle Lewan Taylor, who is well regarded generally, and might go in the top half of the first round. Says Taylor Smith, "Lewan has been overshadowed of late by his teammate, Robinson, but there was a time in the not too distant past when Lewan was being projected as a possible top overall pick."

I guess in the grand scheme of things this is a pretty minor issue, but it shows Smith is not doing all his own scouting, and got a little careless in what he wrote. Too funny!

Last edited by TigerJ; 01-27-2014, 08:27 PM.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Already, A Second Idiot Mock Award Winner

I'd rather go with LBer CJ Mosely from USC.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• TigerJ
      • Jul 2002

I'd be fine with Mosley. My point in this fun little pastime is not to say who the Bills should or shouldn't draft. There are a lot of different ideas out there on who the Bills should draft, and many of them are at least defensible. Greg Robinson and CJ Mosley are among the defensible picks. What I'm trying to do is to singe out the mock drafts that are way out in left field for one reason or another. Either the mock drafter has lost touch with reasonable value (Allen Robinson at #8 or Cyril Richardson at #9), is clueless about team need (particularly the Bills, since they are the team I know best), or horribly (and humorously) inaccurate in their commentary.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
        • Aug 2013

I wish there was an acceptable WR/TE to pick in that spot.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
          I'd be fine with Mosley. My point in this fun little pastime is not to say who the Bills should or shouldn't draft. There are a lot of different ideas out there on who the Bills should draft, and many of them are at least defensible. Greg Robinson and CJ Mosley are among the defensible picks. What I'm trying to do is to singe out the mock drafts that are way out in left field for one reason or another. Either the mock drafter has lost touch with reasonable value (Allen Robinson at #8 or Cyril Richardson at #9), is clueless about team need (particularly the Bills, since they are the team I know best), or horribly (and humorously) inaccurate in their commentary.
          Read my post more closely
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Swiper
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2010

The joke was that Mosley didn't play at USC.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
            I wish there was an acceptable WR/TE to pick in that spot.
            The Bills could always just re-sign Tim Euhus.

Comment

• TigerJ
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
              I'd rather go with LBer CJ Mosely from USC.
              LOL. Sorry I missed that before.

Comment

• EDS
                • Jan 2003

This one is unique. The author, one Taylor Smith is purely conventional in his top 10 picks. No team is making a huge unsupportable reach. I haven't gone through to check team needs against his picks, so I can't really speak to that. His pick for the Bills is Greg Robinson. I'm not sure Buffalo will take an offensive tackle, but it's not impossible, and many mock drafts have them doing just that. Moreover, Robinson has been climbing draft boards so that in some cases he has been mocked as high as #2 overall, and the first tackle off the board, though most still have Jake Matthews going first among tackles. Taylor has won my "coveted" idiot mock award solely for his commentary on the Bills pick. He writes,

"The Bills have a lot of intriguing young talent on offense, they just need a few more guys to help give those players room to run. Robinson was dominant last season for the Wolverines, which led to him deciding to forgo his final season at Michigan and enter the draft. Cordy Glenn is fine on the left side, so Robinson could be able to suit-up opening day as Buffalo’s starting right tackle."

Ummm, Mr. Smith, Greg Robinson played left tackle for the #2 ranked Auburn Tigers.

A mere slip of the tongue, err fingers you say. He compounds his error 2 picks later. The pick is made by the Tennessee Titans, and they take Michigan Wolverine left tackle Lewan Taylor, who is well regarded generally, and might go in the top half of the first round. Says Taylor Smith, "Lewan has been overshadowed of late by his teammate, Robinson, but there was a time in the not too distant past when Lewan was being projected as a possible top overall pick."

I guess in the grand scheme of things this is a pretty minor issue, but it shows Smith is not doing all his own scouting, and got a little careless in what he wrote. Too funny!

http://breakingfootball.com/2014-nfl...-week-edition/
                You get what you pay for in this instance!

Comment

• CleveSteve
                  • Apr 2011

Man, they let anyone post mock drafts on the internet these days.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                    Buffalo Bills Fan
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by CleveSteve View Post
                    Man, they let anyone post mock drafts on the internet these days.

Heh - they generally are no dumber or have more than a coin toss idea than those that tout for the NFL site, CBS, FOX and so on. And that crowd gets paid.
                    Last edited by stuckincincy; 01-28-2014, 02:22 PM.
                    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• CleveSteve
                      • Apr 2011

I was poking fun at myself there...

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by CleveSteve View Post
                        I was poking fun at myself there...
                        Heh- at best, we fans must be dull normals. We would have to be, following the NFL, paying for games, tv watching, trinkets etc.
                        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Swiper
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2010

That guy should be embarrassed.

Comment

• Mr. Magoo
                            • Nov 2012

I have one better. Look at this article.

January 28, 2014 4:44 pm
                            Bills to interview Anthony Weaver

by Chris Cwik | CBSSports.com

The Bills are set to interview Browns defensive line coach Anthony Weaver, according to the Plain Dealer.

Weaver received permission from the Browns to go through with the interview. Weaver would be making a lateral move, which is part of the reason the interview had to be approved by Cleveland. He's been the defensive line coach in Buffalo for a season. In 2012, he was an assistant defensive line coach with the Jets.
                            2018 Mock:
                            1a Mason Rudolph QB
                            1b Vander Esch LB
                            2a James Washington WR
                            2b James Daniels C
                            3a Harrison Phillips DT
                            3b Geron Christian OT

Comment

• CleveSteve
                              • Apr 2011

Wow, and he just keeps piling on. Maybe the Bills really wanted him back after the Browns hired him?

Comment

Working...
                              X