PDA

View Full Version : There goes Weaver.

The King
01-28-2014, 02:18 PM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2014/01/28/bills-grant-browns-permission-to-meet-wweaver/

Bills head coach Doug Marrone expressed concern Monday that he may lose defensive line coach Anthony Weaver to the Browns. On Tuesday the Bills granted Cleveland permission to interview Weaver.

No surprise here.

justasportsfan
01-28-2014, 02:45 PM
Our players respected and liked Pettine and Weaver. Listening to what people have to say about Schwartz , players like playing for him and play hard for him as well. Should be interesting how Mario and co. react with the new DC and DL coach.

swiper
01-28-2014, 04:58 PM
Weaver? We hardly knew you. I'm not gonna shed a tear.

Meathead
01-28-2014, 05:23 PM
pop goes the weaver

swiper
01-28-2014, 06:25 PM
http://donttrysohard.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/angry-dwight.gif

feldspar
01-28-2014, 06:58 PM
I wonder if Pettine will go after anyone on the Jets roster.

Turf
01-28-2014, 07:23 PM
If they don't want to lose him why did they grant him permission.

DraftBoy
01-28-2014, 07:30 PM
I'll take Micheal Sinclair who was non-renewed by Chicago or Chuck Smith.

Meathead
01-28-2014, 08:31 PM
If they don't want to lose him why did they grant him permission.

you cant hold ppl against their will, even if its technically legal it will be counterproductive plus youll look like a dick. when guys like pettine get their chance at a hc job teams generally let the position coaches decide which team they go with, then both teams fill in whats left

kishoph
01-29-2014, 07:41 AM
Taking an interview doesn't mean he'll go. Why wouldn't he listen to an offer ? I think Weaver will consider that he has a better chance of being/looking successful coaching the Bills DL, than he would coaching the Browns DL. The Browns DL isn't really bad, but the Bills are coming off a season where they had close to 60 sacks and that looks good on Weaver, which would help in some day maybe getting an offer to be a DC. I think (hope) he stays with the Bills.

swiper
01-29-2014, 07:54 AM
you cant hold ppl against their will, even if its technically legal it will be counterproductive plus youll look like a dick. when guys like pettine get their chance at a hc job teams generally let the position coaches decide which team they go with, then both teams fill in whats left

NFL rules, if I am not mistaken, say that any position coach or coordinator can interview for a position that is considered a step up (as LB coach to coordinator). The time limit given to the Bills? IDK. Was that so the Bills had an exclusive time period to try and retain their staff member?

kingJofNYC
01-29-2014, 09:31 AM
Our D staff was gutted, basically starting from scratch on that side of the ball.

better days
01-29-2014, 09:47 AM
NFL rules, if I am not mistaken, say that any position coach or coordinator can interview for a position that is considered a step up (as LB coach to coordinator). The time limit given to the Bills? IDK. Was that so the Bills had an exclusive time period to try and retain their staff member?

No, you are mistaken Swiper. No NFL team is responsible for letting any coach under contract interview with another team for any position even if it is a promotion.

It is the Bills philosophy do to so. As Marrone said, we want people here that want to be here.

The Browns put the time limit on O'Neil saying if the Bills did not grant permission by Monday, they would consider someone else for that job.

SpikedLemonade
01-29-2014, 09:50 AM
Our D staff was gutted, basically starting from scratch on that side of the ball.

It does however provide the ready made excuse when the Bills end up at 7-9 this year. Look on the bright side.

kingJofNYC
01-29-2014, 09:57 AM
It does however provide the ready made excuse when the Bills end up at 7-9 this year. Look on the bright side.

Pretty much, also doesn't say much about the org or Marrone.

I know it's a new scheme under Schwartz for some of these coaches, but everyone took off for Cleveland. Some received promotions so it makes sense to leave, for others it was a lateral move. What is interesting is that these coordinators don't have much security, no coach does, but they all left for an org which cleaned house two years in a row.

SpikedLemonade
01-29-2014, 10:23 AM
Pretty much, also doesn't say much about the org or Marrone.

I know it's a new scheme under Schwartz for some of these coaches, but everyone took off for Cleveland. Some received promotions so it makes sense to leave, for others it was a lateral move. What is interesting is that these coordinators don't have much security, no coach does, but they all left for an org which cleaned house two years in a row.

In this case, I think they are safer at the end of this year then they would have been in Buffalo.

The Browns will not fire Pettine or D coaches at the end of this year no matter what. The front office knows the rep they have developed and will want to be patient this year. Those jobs are safe.

The Bills would clearly have cleaned the D side of the coaches at the end of this year if the D regressed or continued to be gashed by the run. Marrone would have been pressured to do so if he wanted to coach a 3rd year (which I believe he will).

The D coaches loyalty to Pettine will be rewarded by a safe 2 years.

DynaPaul
01-29-2014, 04:52 PM

Marrone made it clear during the press conference that he only wants people who want to be here. His words. I heard Weaver was pissed because he didn't get offered a promotion to DC but I can't prove that.

Meathead
01-29-2014, 04:56 PM

actually i dont think it does

with a veteran lineup of players and a very experienced dc theres really no reason not to expect result right away. theres really no excuses

really i think theres big pressure on marrone this season. they have to show marked improvement and should be at least a wildcard playoff candidate if not a threat to win the division, or else marrone will be coaching for his buffalo life in 15

Meathead
01-29-2014, 05:02 PM
it would be interesting to know what their philosophical difference with hilliard was, tho we will likely never know

edit: wrong thread sorry

kishoph
01-30-2014, 04:20 AM

I don't know if you can say it was "gutted", Pettine and O'Neil could be missed, but Brian Fleury was one of 2 defensive quality coaches and the Bills fired LB coach Chuck Driesbach. The two top units on defense are (up to now) still coached by the same guys, Weaver and Henderson.