X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Chris Brown's take on Bills plan

I know he's not always right, but he's closer to the Bills brain trust and players than anyone else.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think your reasoning makes sense, but what you want to do is often affected by what’s available in terms of talent. When it comes to linebacker I get the sense that the team would prefer to move Kiko Alonso out to the weak side where they can take better advantage of his athleticism and coverage ability. That would mean a middle linebacker would need to be plugged in. Buffalo was fortunate that they had a rookie in Alonso who was able to learn and call a new defense as a rookie at the mike spot. That doesn’t always happen, so I’m inclined to think that they would want to add a veteran in free agency at that position. However, the market is particularly thin, which means the price tag on what the Bills might see as an affordable option (as Doug Whaley calls them, ‘dust settle’ guys) may not be if there are other teams competing for experienced LBs.
    I could see the Bills adding a linebacker both in free agency and in the draft. They need bodies at that position.
    At receiver another rookie is probably not the way to improve the offense sooner rather than later. They need a player who has produced in the past and has adapted to different offensive systems before. Buffalo invested a pair of high picks at the receiver position last year (2nd and 3rd round) so I’d be surprised if they go that route again, especially early.
    Offensive tackle is where I expect them to turn to the draft for help. There’s good talent at the top of the draft and with some QB hungry teams ahead of Buffalo in round one some great talent could fall to them at nine.
    Guard is a position where I think they will plug in the best talent they can find. They have some players in house who they believe have starter potential, but they might add a stop gap free agent veteran to hold down the fort until they feel comfortable enough to plug in one of the prospects that you mentioned.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to Brown, I'd say Spikes would be high on Bills list, probably the prized one they go after this offseason. I'm surprised that the G position is ranked low on the list, but expecting a day one starter in the draft on a RT is very realistic. I sort of agree to his assessment on a big WR that is on the lips of Marrone/Whaley so often. There is no one in the draft considered can't miss prospect that fits the Bills profile. In fact I'd go on to say this feels like the year the Bills drafted Hardy where all the big WRs drafted that year $ucked in NFL. An alternative way to get a big receiver would be TE. So they may go that route in FA or draft.
  • jimmifli
    • Nov 2006

Re: Chris Brown's take on Bills plan

What guards have starter potential?

JJ Unga? Mark Asper? Thomas Welch?

Nobody else on the roster even saw playing time. I'm sure he doesn't mean Legursky or Urbik because they've already proven they shouldn't be starters.

I feel like I owe Eric Wood a beer, he ****ing earned it playing next to two scrubs last year and it sounds like he's got to do it again.

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

i the CB's of the world are part of the smoke and mirrors that NFL teams use to try and mask what their plans may be and goad others into picks they might not make earlier.

Some national reporters pull this, it comes out several different ways anda ll of sudden a team two slots ahead of the bills are second guessing their pick. or so the thinking goes.

i trust only a few things...1. the bills will make the wrong selection, 2. they won't help that person grow, 3. after the draft we will all buy into the excitement that maybe these selections will end this "quantum leap"-like episode. perhaps the next leap, will be the leap home.....into the playoffs.

Comment

• coastal
        Legendary Zoner
        • Mar 2005

Not making a serious commitment to upgrade the LG spot?

ummm... wtf?

Comment

• The Jokeman
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by coastal View Post
          Not making a serious commitment to upgrade the LG spot?

ummm... wtf?
          He's reading into Marrone's comments toward the end of the season about seeing what Unger had to offer I remember the story he posted as it was on the front page after we acquired him. If you read Chris enough he really doesn't comment on how he feels but more reports what the team has said before and formulate into what it could mean. As he is a reporter first and foremost yet at the end of the day despite what some fans think doesn't have any real knowledge of what the brass is going to do until after it's done.

Comment

• X-Era
            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
            He's reading into Marrone's comments toward the end of the season about seeing what Unger had to offer I remember the story he posted as it was on the front page after we acquired him. If you read Chris enough he really doesn't comment on how he feels but more reports what the team has said before and formulate into what it could mean. As he is a reporter first and foremost yet at the end of the day despite what some fans think doesn't have any real knowledge of what the brass is going to do until after it's done.
            Agree with most of that. But being in and around the Bills he does know more about their thinking than outsiders. That is real knowledge.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

If that ends up being their plan and they follow through successfully, I'll take it.

Spikes in FA, kick Kiko outside.
              Another LB in the draft.
              A FA vet WR.
              OT in the first.
              Possible vet G in FA.

Add a mammoth DT, a TE and a FS in the draft and we're ready to roll.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• The Jokeman
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                If that ends up being their plan and they follow through successfully, I'll take it.

Another LB in the draft.
                A FA vet WR.
                OT in the first.
                Possible vet G in FA.

He's my latest mock offseason:

Re-sign Byrd
                Sign UFA LB Jonathan Vilma
                Sign UFA TE Brandon Pettigrew
                Sign UFA WR James Jones
                Sign UFA G/T Jeff Linkenbach

Round 1: T Greg Robinson
                Round 2: CB Marcus Roberson
                Round 3: G Gabe Jackson

Comment

• X-Era
                  What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                  He's my latest mock offseason:

Re-sign Byrd
                  Sign UFA LB Jonathan Vilma
                  Sign UFA TE Brandon Pettigrew
                  Sign UFA WR James Jones
                  Sign UFA G/T Jeff Linkenbach

Round 1: T Greg Robinson
                  Round 2: CB Marcus Roberson
                  Round 3: G Gabe Jackson
                  With the exception of Robinson in the 1st I'd be ecstatic if we did that. It is adding some age but I don't mind it. I just don't know if the Bills would go with an aged vet.

In the 1st I want a guy who makes the most impact. I think a WR may be a long term move but it could pay off huge in the end. OLB would definitely help us a lot. If we cut Pears RT becomes a much larger need obviously. If we don't I'd still add one if Hairston is done for good just not necessarily in the 1st round.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                    With the exception of Robinson in the 1st I'd be ecstatic if we did that. It is adding some age but I don't mind it. I just don't know if the Bills would go with an aged vet.

In the 1st I want a guy who makes the most impact. I think a WR may be a long term move but it could pay off huge in the end. OLB would definitely help us a lot. If we cut Pears RT becomes a much larger need obviously. If we don't I'd still add one if Hairston is done for good just not necessarily in the 1st round.
                    To me there are 4 guys I have on my list to draft in the Round 1. In order they are Matthews, Robinson, Mack and Mosley. I think the top 3 will be gone and would love Mosley but at the same time if signed Vilma think the need for a young MLB is less of a need so I kinda wished Robinson on us. I'm not going to beat a dead horse with a WR in the Round 1 comments as to me it's a foolish way to go. Ultimately if we're at pick 9 is up and it means only Mosley or another position like WR I might ultimately would trade down and maybe take Lewan to play RT but only of course if we did sign Vilma.
                    Last edited by The Jokeman; 01-31-2014, 05:43 PM.

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

i would LOVE to see eric decker here as our FA wr
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Tatonka View Post
                        i would LOVE to see eric decker here as our FA wr
                        I would too, but I think he stays in Denver.

I know Pats* fans would love him as well.

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

Brown is probably on his 12th pair of knee pads by now.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by YardRat View Post

Another LB in the draft.
                            A FA vet WR.
                            OT in the first.
                            Possible vet G in FA.

And if the Bills sign a LB like Spikes, I would not be surprised to see Kiko outside when Spikes is on the field & in the middle with Spikes on the sideline on likely passing plays.

Comment

Working...
                            X