PDA

View Full Version : Why are the jets a major marketing team?

Cali512
02-01-2014, 10:35 PM
This team has no history, no amazing historic players that come to your mind like buffalo, Pitt, the giants have. There best qb in history is arguably the worst qb in the hof. They havent been great in 20-30 yrs and there best qb has been favre and Pennington. There a hype team who has been a top place to be for years, yet in no way shape or form do they deserve the recognition they get. When's the last time the jets were a top 5 team? Why do players go there when they've been embarrassing and have underachieved there amazing expectations they receive for no reason. Ive always wondered what made the jets so special. Theyre still looking for there next Joe Namath. Curtis martin was there best player of the past 20 yrs. There head coach is bi polar has self image issues and a well documented foot fettish. Wtf. Buffalo gets blasted but at least we have a respectable history and franchise.

feldspar
02-01-2014, 11:08 PM
Why are the Jets a major marketing team?

I think the question answers itself...because they are in a major market.

Also, nowadays the circus entertains people even outside the major market. Kinda like how you can't turn your head away from a train-wreck. They have a good defense, but the way that team has been being handled is ridiculous. They really bring a lot of the negative attention down upon themselves.

I don't see them as getting "recognition" anymore. They're just overly scrutinized at this point. Why? Because they bring it on themselves, and they are in a large market.

It's not very complicated.

ZAZusmc03
02-01-2014, 11:24 PM
Stupid threads like this are the reason I hate the off season. The true trolls all come out from under their rocks to give their expert opinions. They're marketed as a NYC team, that answers the question. They play in a HUGE market.

Albany,n.y.
02-02-2014, 06:38 AM
Buffalo gets blasted but at least we have a respectable history and franchise.

Sorry, but someone has to say it. Outside of the Saban/Kemp era, the Knox era and the Levy/Kelly era, this team has a history of being one of the league's laughingstocks.

YardRat
02-02-2014, 06:40 AM
Bob Griese is the worst QB in the HOF.

Night Train
02-02-2014, 06:43 AM
I had oatmeal for breakfast.

DynaPaul
02-02-2014, 08:23 AM
Jets = Mets, Giants = Yankees. The former teams are the little, mentally challenged brothers to the latter teams.

BleedinGreenNC
02-02-2014, 09:09 AM
Jets = Mets, Giants = Yankees. The former teams are the little, mentally challenged brothers to the latter teams.

So what does that make the Bills? Funny, Bills fans knocking on the Jets. What have the Bills ever done?

Skooby
02-02-2014, 09:31 AM
So what does that make the Bills? Funny, Bills fans knocking on the Jets. What have the Bills ever done?

We made a Detroit insurance businessman a Billionaire.

EricStratton
02-02-2014, 09:41 AM
The Tri-State area has between 6-1000 newspapers, all will copy to fill, a dozen tv stations, all with dedicated sports shows and the Jets are interesting and the Giants are boring.

That's why they are a big market team.

I hate the Jets but seeing it first hand they are never dull.

JoeMama
02-02-2014, 10:33 AM
My cat's breath smells like cat food. ~ Ralph Wiggum

DynaPaul
02-02-2014, 10:32 PM

There's no comparison because we aren't in the NYC metropolitan area.

Historian
02-03-2014, 07:27 AM
Stupid threads like this are the reason I hate the off season. The true trolls all come out from under their rocks to give their expert opinions. They're marketed as a NYC team, that answers the question. They play in a HUGE market.

Same here.

The Jets may not be as storied a franchise as their NFC Counterpart, but have had plenty of success over the years with the likes of Klecko, McNeil, O'Brien, Castor, Riggins, Walker, Gastineau, Toon, Glenn and Revis. That's just a few of the greats.

And the difference between them and us, is at least they have one World Championship to their credit....no matter how long ago it was.

gr8slayer
02-03-2014, 08:22 AM
This thread hurts my brain.

Pinkerton Security
02-03-2014, 08:44 AM

seriously? what have the Jets ever done?

Jets # of Super Bowl wins since the merger: 0
Bills # of Super Bowl wins since the merger: 0

Jets Division championships since the merger: 2
Bills Division championships since the merger: 4

Jets playoff appearances since the merger: 12
Bills playoff appearances since the merger: 13

Jets overall W/L/T: 373-439-8
Bills overall W/L/T: 376-436-8

Its shocking how similarly bad these 2 franchises are, so you have no room for talk. Stick to trying to be a real southerner there in NC.

gr8slayer
02-03-2014, 08:52 AM
What does him being from the south have to do with anything?

Its shocking how similarly bad these 2 franchises are, so you have no room for talk. Stick to trying to be a real southerner there in NC.

justasportsfan
02-03-2014, 08:57 AM

Win superbowl after superbowl, until the woman I live with pulls the plug on the PS3.

Meathead
02-03-2014, 09:03 AM
you living with dr lecter now?

Meathead
02-03-2014, 09:58 AM
the jets get waay more attention than they should bc a) they are in one of the most premier cities in the world, and 3) the jews love them

most of the guys in my college frat were jews, most of my roommates in college (none were fratboys) were jew bastards, and a bunch of my friends since have been dirty jew bastards. they all loved the jets. well most of them, a few liked the giants but regular white/dago guy giants fans pretty much give them the bronx salute until they leave and slink back to the jets. so the jets became like the negro league for jews

next week: which nfl team has the most eskimo fans and will there ever be more than a dozen paying black customers at an nhl game

kishoph
02-03-2014, 10:14 AM

If you compare Griese to Joe Namath, Griese should have his own wing in the HOF, Namath was terrible, but the NY media made him a superstar. Namath has no business being in the HOF.

Mike13
02-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Between the concusions, drugs(it was the 60s), STDs(probably, again 60s) and the alcoholism. I'm shocked he is alive.

That's not how you spell Joe Namath.

more cowbell
02-03-2014, 11:15 PM
Is this a serious question?

The Jets "play" in New York City...

The Bills play in a city that isn't even in the top 50 populated cities and until recently has been in a steady decline.

Beebe's Kid
02-03-2014, 11:29 PM
Hey kids, want to go to Buffalo, or dreary old NYC for vacation?

Namath wore a chinchilla coat on the sidelines.

BleedinGreenNC
02-04-2014, 03:23 PM

Please dont run your mouth when you live in Albany. What are you going on 14 years straight without the playoffs?

Pinkerton Security
02-04-2014, 03:48 PM
Please dont run your mouth when you live in Albany. What are you going on 14 years straight without the playoffs?

Cary, NC? As if thats some amazing place...I'd much rather live here (I now live in Saratoga Springs, much nicer than Albany). Face it, the Bills suck and so do the Jets.

BleedinGreenNC
02-04-2014, 03:54 PM
Cary, NC? As if thats some amazing place...face it, the Bills suck and so do the Jets.

I know both teams suck, no reason to knock where i live. You should visit NC sometime, its better than that ****hole NY, thats why i moved away from there.

THRILLHO
02-04-2014, 09:32 PM
My cat's breath smells like cat food. ~ Ralph Wiggum

This game is great. And all I've done is enter my name!

~Milhouse VanHouten AKA Thrillho

TigerJ
02-06-2014, 09:33 PM
The fact that some 10 to 12 million people live within a two hour drive of where they play their games might have something to do with it. It's true, they are the little sisters to the Giants, but not all the people who live in New York City and northern New Jersey that like NFL football have a shot to get tickets to Giants games. I understand there is a waiting line to get season tickets, and the only way to get individual game tickets is through resellers (scalpers). I can see why people hungry for the live game experience and tired of waiting for Giants seasons might be tempted to become fans of the weaker sister.

Albany,n.y.
02-06-2014, 10:11 PM

We'll run our mouths as much as we want. Don't slip on the tobacco juice that your fellow North Carolinians spit on your sidewalk.

BleedinGreenNC
02-07-2014, 06:34 PM
We'll run our mouths as much as we want. Don't slip on the tobacco juice that your fellow North Carolinians spit on your sidewalk.

Funny guy, like i said...Albany, enough said.

Downinfloflo
02-07-2014, 06:43 PM
You can do what ever you want, when ever you want in NYC, as long as you can pay for it.

There are more places to go eat/drink and party in NYC then there are homes in the rest of the state.

DynaPaul
02-11-2014, 07:33 AM
Cary, NC? As if thats some amazing place...I'd much rather live here (I now live in Saratoga Springs, much nicer than Albany). Face it, the Bills suck and so do the Jets.

I'll second NaturalBornSpiller since I also live in the area (about 20 minutes from Saratoga). Yeah, Albany isn't some great metropolis but there are very nice areas in the footprint (no not Troy or Schenectady).

pmoon6
02-11-2014, 07:55 AM
Sorry, but someone has to say it. Outside of the Saban/Kemp era, the Knox era and the Levy/Kelly era, this team has a history of being one of the league's laughingstocks.Well, if you compare the Jets/Bills all time records and playoff appearances, they are remarkably similar.

The one thing about the Jets and Namath is they facilitated the merger. They gave the AFL credibility. When the NY Jets got off the plane the next year in Buffalo to play the first game after winning the SB, they were greeted by hundreds of Bills fans cheering.

Also, if the Super Bowl or AFL/NFL championship as it was called then, was played two years earlier, the Buffalo Bills may have been NFL legend. You can argue the fact, but I think we matched up well with the Browns and the Packers.

pmoon6
02-11-2014, 07:58 AM
Hey kids, want to go to Buffalo, or dreary old NYC for vacation?

Namath wore a chinchilla coat on the sidelines.I'd chose Buffalo. The pizza is better.

pmoon6
02-11-2014, 08:05 AM
If you compare Griese to Joe Namath, Griese should have his own wing in the HOF, Namath was terrible, but the NY media made him a superstar. Namath has no business being in the HOF.Bob Griese was the definition of "game manager". The Dolphins won on the back of a great defense, Larry Czonka, Jim Kiick and Mercury Morris. Griese didn't even play during most of the undefeated season, Earl Morrall did.

The Cowboys beat the **** out of them in SB VI by limiting their ground game and knocking Bouniconti on his ass every play. Griese had no answer. 24-3.

DynaPaul
02-12-2014, 09:36 AM
The one thing about the Jets and Namath is they facilitated the merger. They gave the AFL credibility.

Not for nothing but I've been hearing for years that this Super Bowl was fixed for precisely the reason you stated.

stuckincincy
02-13-2014, 12:31 PM
Bob Griese was the definition of "game manager". The Dolphins won on the back of a great defense, Larry Czonka, Jim Kiick and Mercury Morris. Griese didn't even play during most of the undefeated season, Earl Morrall did.

The Cowboys beat the **** out of them in SB VI by limiting their ground game and knocking Bouniconti on his ass every play. Griese had no answer. 24-3.

Duane Thomas and Walt Garrison combined for 169 yards, and Staubach was 12 for 19.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197201160dal.htm

Generalissimus Gibby
02-15-2014, 02:47 PM
I think being in the New York City metropolitan area helps. I mean Fox, NBC, ABC, NBC, CBS are there, CNN has a huge office there. All sorts of papers and a lot of sports magazines are there.

pmoon6
02-18-2014, 09:06 AM
Duane Thomas and Walt Garrison combined for 169 yards, and Staubach was 12 for 19.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197201160dal.htmI know, I cleaned up on that game betting all the Dolphin backers. Shula called it the most perfect team performance he ever saw.

kishoph
02-20-2014, 04:51 AM
Bob Griese was the definition of "game manager". The Dolphins won on the back of a great defense, Larry Czonka, Jim Kiick and Mercury Morris. Griese didn't even play during most of the undefeated season, Earl Morrall did.

I didn't mean to imply that Griese was a great QB, unless you're comparing him to Namath.

pmoon6
02-20-2014, 07:06 AM
I didn't mean to imply that Griese was a great QB, unless you're comparing him to Namath.Well, the game was different then. You didn't win without a running game because it carried you. Also, QB's called their own plays so, Namath gets credit for putting the ball in Snell's and Boozer's hands against the Colts. The Jets also benefited from a lot of turnovers. Good QB for the era, yeah. HOF, no way.