PDA

View Full Version : What's your Super Bowl meal?

stuckincincy
02-02-2014, 05:36 AM
Baked ham, mashed potatoes, cranberry/yam/pecan mix, green beans, chips, squirt cheese and beer, here. :cheers:

swiper
02-02-2014, 06:03 AM
My mother used to make these things called Super Bowl Sandwiches from a recipe she got out of the Courier Express. Yes that Courier Express (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f6/Buffalo_courier_express.jpg). We pulled out the recipe and are trying it again this afternoon.

SUPER BOWL SANDWICHES - Courier Express<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
4 Minute steaks (3oz.ea)
1can (8oz) refrigerated cresant rolls<o:p></o:p>
1 medium onion
sliced 1egg white, slightly beaten<o:p></o:p>
½ cup beer
Sesame seeds
2 Tbls. Oil

HORSERADISH SAUCE:<o:p></o:p>
2 Tbls Soy Sauce 1cup sour cream<o:p></o:p>
½ tsp garlic salt (or clove of fresh garlic,crushed) ½ tsp horseradish<o:p></o:p>
Salt and Pepper<o:p></o:p>
Place meat in a shallow pan with onion slices.<o:p></o:p>
Combine beer, oil, soy sauce and seasonings and pour over meat. Cover and let stand at room temp.<o:p></o:p>
2 or 3 hours or in refrigerator overnight.<o:p></o:p>
Preheat oven to 375 deg. Lightly grease cookie sheet. Remove meat and onions from marinade and<o:p></o:p>
lightly dry with paper towels.<o:p></o:p>
Separate rolls into 4 rectangles. Press perforations to seal and prevent separation during baking.<o:p></o:p>
Place onion slices and a steak in center of each rectangle. Fold dough ends over the meat<o:p></o:p>
overlapping in the center. Press to seal. Place seam side down on cookie sheet. Brush with egg<o:p></o:p>
white and sprinkle with sesame seeds.<o:p></o:p>
Bake at 375 deg. For 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot.<o:p></o:p>
Mix horseradish and sour cream. You may use more horseradish,if desired.

Steaks have been marinating in onions & beer overnight.<o:p></o:p>

pmoon6
02-02-2014, 06:07 AM
Crab Cakes with three different dipping sauces, cheese board, veggie tray and homemade pizzas.

swiper
02-02-2014, 06:09 AM
Sounds good!

coastal
02-02-2014, 06:19 AM
Pussy.

pmoon6
02-02-2014, 06:35 AM
Pussy.Yours or someone elses?

coastal
02-02-2014, 06:37 AM
Yours or someone elses?
Go hump your taxidermy.

pmoon6
02-02-2014, 06:38 AM
Go hump your taxidermy.:rofl:

YardRat
02-02-2014, 06:39 AM
Snacks.

Meat and cheese tray, veggie tray, chips, a couple of pizza's...might throw in some pigs in a blanket or burritos this year. Sometimes beef on weck and homemade wings, but not this time.

Night Train
02-02-2014, 06:41 AM
I was thinking a very large filet mignon with a side lobster bisque and a bottle of 2009 Chateau Margaux.

Or 20 wings and a 12 pack of Genny.

It's one or the other...

GvilleBills
02-02-2014, 06:52 AM
I was going to smoke some phenomenal ribs and chiavetta's chicken for a party. but daughter is sick, so I called off the festivities.

Ginger Vitis
02-02-2014, 07:29 AM
homemade pizzas.

Ditto

DynaPaul
02-02-2014, 08:26 AM
Human flesh with chianti and fava beans. Preferably from a Patriots fan.

Novacane
02-02-2014, 08:27 AM
Pizza and hot wings.

JoeMama
02-02-2014, 08:50 AM
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/cheflonelyhearts_zps4a7e396e.jpg (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/JoeMama025/media/cheflonelyhearts_zps4a7e396e.jpg.html)

And maybe some of these to wash it down.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/JoeMama025/chippos_zpsd5f0df2a.png (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/JoeMama025/media/chippos_zpsd5f0df2a.png.html)

Buffalogic
02-02-2014, 09:23 AM
Spicy machaca tacos...been cookin the meet throughout the night. Smells so good...

Skooby
02-02-2014, 09:29 AM
My Dad's daily recipe via Jimmy Griffin:

Genny Cream Ale nuked for 40 seconds, drink & repeat.

ublinkwescore
02-02-2014, 09:29 AM
Beef back ribs.

Gonna make a layered dip with refried beans, salsa, sour cream, nacho cheese, cilantro, and menudo seasoning. I dont really drink any more,
but will be enjoging a tall can of bedside chelada (budweiser with clamato, tapatillo hot sauce)

Will probably stream it at home, or go to the inlaws and watch it on a 60 inch screen.

ublinkwescore
02-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Spicy machaca tacos...been cookin the meet throughout the night. Smells so good...

I hate you.

Buffalogic
02-02-2014, 10:01 AM
I hate you.Don't hate me! I'd share if you were in AZ!

feldspar
02-02-2014, 10:23 AM
Pizza and hot wings.

That's the way to do it. Keep it simple and traditional. You simply cannot go wrong with pizza and wings.

I'll get some wings. Maybe pizza, but I'll probably just stick with wings...and some chips & dip, or whatever the girl decides to get me.

Of course, I'm completely hungover this morning and currently have no appetite. Perhaps I'll soon recover from that once I start drinking again. Coors today.

stuckincincy
02-02-2014, 10:32 AM
Beef back ribs.

Gonna make a layered dip with refried beans, salsa, sour cream, nacho cheese, cilantro, and menudo seasoning. I dont really drink any more,
but will be enjoging a tall can of bedside chelada (budweiser with clamato, tapatillo hot sauce)

Will probably stream it at home, or go to the inlaws and watch it on a 60 inch screen.

Good going with the beef ribs. I've been 50/50 in making them well.

Meathead
02-02-2014, 10:38 AM
bread and water

stuckincincy
02-02-2014, 10:41 AM
bread and water

get some squirt cheese like i have. it makes even leaves and grass clippings taste good.

JoeMama
02-02-2014, 10:48 AM
bread and water

Finally, somebody who enjoys a MAN'S MEAL.

No pussification of America going on in the Meathead household.

- - - Updated - - -

get some squirt cheese like i have. it makes even leaves and grass clippings taste good.

That stuff is poison.

Even the name is repulsive sounding... squirt cheese.

stuckincincy
02-02-2014, 10:53 AM
That stuff is poison.

I know - it's in celebration of the cheesiest annual sporting event on the planet.

cookie G
02-02-2014, 11:21 AM
and homemade pizzas.

Doing that too this year..the dough is sitting in the bread machine right now.

bleve
02-02-2014, 11:31 AM
I usually make something themed to the city of the team I want to win i.e I made Jambalaya when New Orleans played, Brats for Green Bay, etc.

I'm indifferent this year on the winner, and I know both Denver and Seattle are great beer cities, so maybe I'll just have beer.

pmoon6
02-02-2014, 12:03 PM
Doing that too this year..the dough is sitting in the bread machine right now.I don't use the bread machine due to high altitude and weather. You have to use your eye and feel to know what the right amount of flour is going to be that day.

Anyway, I've almost got it down to where I can replicate a Bocce. Now, if I could find decent pepperoni I'd be in business.

YardRat
02-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Meatballs and enchiladas just got added to the list. I forgot to mention before, we've always had a 'holiday' cake also, decorated with the team logo's in some fashion. Added a '83 HOF' in the corner of this year's version, an homage to Andre of course. Been doing that since the glory days, and the first one was a Bills logo, only. My favorite of all time was Calvin, wearing an Eli Manning uni, pissing on a Patriots logo. Good call on that one, if I do say so myself.

tomz
02-02-2014, 12:21 PM
I will be preparing the closest equivalent to a Royal Sub from John and Mary's that I can. Italian sausage, provolone, hot cappy...

YardRat
02-02-2014, 12:22 PM
I will be preparing the closest equivalent to a Royal Sub from John and Mary's that I can. Italian sausage, provolone, hot cappy...

Mmmmmm....

feldspar
02-02-2014, 12:23 PM
That stuff is poison.

Squirt cheese...I think I did that once.

Can't be certain.

Meathead
02-02-2014, 12:26 PM
I've almost got it down to where I can replicate a Bocce. Now, if I could find decent pepperoni I'd be in business.

http://www.delallo.com/products/pepperoni-double-stick

best pepperoni on the planet. sometimes its too fresh and you have to leave it in the fridge for a month before it matures, which is why i usually buy ten sticks to make sure i have any left in a month

stuckincincy
02-02-2014, 12:29 PM
For future reference for Bflo. ex-pats unable to have beef on weck, here is how to do it at home:

Rump roast, Kaiser rolls (don't use rolls that contain egg), kosher salt, egg white, water, caraway seed, marjoram, onion powder, ground black pepper, McCormick's powdered aj jus mix.

First...cook the beef and refrigerate, saving the juices.
Second...Prepare the au jus mix.
Third...prepare the rolls.

Beef:

Scrape off all meat surfaces with a knife. If there is a band of fat and membrane, cut with a sharp knife so the roast won't buckle, but do not remove the fat. Season a 2 - 4 lb rump roast with marjoram, kosher salt, onion powder, and black pepper.
Place in a foil-lined pan.
Set into oven. Then turn oven on to 325 F. You don't need to pre-heat. Using a meat thermometer (a remote probe is best), remove at 115 F. Place pan on a hot plate and cover with foil. When cool, place in an air-tight container.

Carefully remove the bottom foil containing juices, fold it and place it in the container, and refrigerate.
When fully refrigerated, remove beef and slice thinly with an electric knife.

Au jus - buy the commercial McCormick package - a dollar or so.

Prepare per package instructions, adding the reserved juices from the drippings you saved on the aluminum foil.

Rolls:

Set an oven rack high, and turn oven to broil.

Cut in half and place down on a baking sheet. Add a teaspoon or so of water to one egg white, and brush the rolls. Dust top and bottom to taste with caraway seed and kosher salt.

Place in the broiler, being very watchful. You want the egg wash to set the salt and seed, and the roll tops and bottoms can burn easily.

To serve: Using tongs, douse enough beef in the au jus for a sandwich, remove and place on the roll. Beef on weck is best served juicy - dipping the top of the roll into the top of the au jus works well.

If you have the time (and moxie) to make original, authentic Kummelweck, here's the deal. Even the best of B&W purveyors don't make these labor-intensive, time-consuming things.:

Kummelweck Rolls, Makes 6

1 x package of dry yeast. Do not use quick-rise.
3/4 cup tepid potato water (80 - 100 F)
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup mashed potatoes. Don't add salt but do reserve the liquid
1/2 cup milk
3 tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp caraway seeds
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
1 x egg white, beaten with 1 1/2 tsp water
x kosher salt for dusting
x caraway seeds for dusting

Procedures

1. Mix yeast with 1/4 cup of the tepid potato water and sugar in a separate bowl large enough to hold the remaining ingredients.
2. Combine mashed potatoes, 3/4 cup remaining potato water, milk, butter, salt and caraway seeds in a separate bowl.
3. When yeast mixture is foamy, stir in the contents of 2., above. Add the flour, a cup at a time, stirring until dough comes away from bowl.
4. Turn out onto floured board and let rest while you clean and butter a bowl. Knead dough 10 minutes, adding flour if necessary to create a smooth dough. I use a mixer with dough hooks, on the "Fold" setting.
5. Return to bowl and roll dough around to coat it with butter. Cover with a towel and let rise in warm place until double in bulk, about 1 to 2 hours. Punch dough down, knead again,
flouring as needed, for 1-2 minutes. Roll out and divide into six pieces.
6. Form each piece into a smooth ball. Then flatten ball slightly so that it is roll shaped. Set 2 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
7. Cover loosely with towel and let rise until double in bulk, less than 1 hour.
8. Preheat oven to 375 F.
9. Make the star-shaped indentations with a spatula, and brush rolls with egg white mixture and sprinkle with desired amount of kosher salt and caraway seeds.
10. Bake 15 minutes, reduce heat to 325 F and bake 15-20 minutes, until rolls are medium brown.
11. Remove from oven and cool on baking rack.

Note: You can freeze the dough after the first rising. Thaw, continue with the second rise. They will not rise very much, but they still taste good.

Bon apetit!

pmoon6
02-02-2014, 12:30 PM

best pepperoni on the planet. sometimes its too fresh and you have to leave it in the fridge for a month before it matures, which is why i usually buy ten sticks to make sure i have any left in a monthThanks Meat.

YardRat
02-02-2014, 12:31 PM
You just keep your pepperoni away from Cincy's rump roast, Meathead.

l3ills
02-02-2014, 12:34 PM
A huge pot of chili, some chips, pepsi, and cheesy garlic toast.

YardRat
02-02-2014, 12:36 PM
A huge pot of chili, some chips, pepsi, and cheesy garlic toast.

Are you going to have to change your username to l4ills, now?

feldspar
02-02-2014, 12:43 PM

best pepperoni on the planet. sometimes its too fresh and you have to leave it in the fridge for a month before it matures, which is why i usually buy ten sticks to make sure i have any left in a month

Meat pimping meat.

Can't beat meat...

cookie G
02-02-2014, 12:45 PM
I don't use the bread machine due to high altitude and weather. You have to use your eye and feel to know what the right amount of flour is going to be that day.

Anyway, I've almost got it down to where I can replicate a Bocce. Now, if I could find decent pepperoni I'd be in business.

Eh, I'm lazy, sue me.

The pepperoni I get is decent enough...not exactly Casillo's but it'll make do. Especially when you have a steady dose of non-flavored pepperoni like most places have here.

stuckincincy
02-02-2014, 01:05 PM
Eh, I'm lazy, sue me.

The pepperoni I get is decent enough...not exactly Casillo's but it'll make do. Especially when you have a steady dose of non-flavored pepperoni like most places have here.

I use my machine to mix and rise the dough, then oven bake. I've found that in my machine (Oster), using warmed water to mix with the sugar and salt and melted margarine in the liquid fraction, using a 2 cup/1 cup bread/all-purpose flour blend, and extra yeast, makes for reliable basic white bread. I oven bake in a 9 1/4 x 5 1/4 x2 3/4 Wilton pan 28 minutes at 375F, putting on a foil tent after 15 minutes.

If you bake in the oven, get a Wilton pan. They're tops - cheap, too:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/department.cfm?dc=2.5

cookie G
02-02-2014, 01:13 PM
If you have the time (and moxie) to make original, authentic Kummelweck, here's the deal. Even the best of B&W purveyors don't make these labor-intensive, time-consuming things.:

Kummelweck Rolls, Makes 6

1 x package of dry yeast. Do not use quick-rise.
3/4 cup tepid potato water (80 - 100 F)
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup mashed potatoes. Don't add salt but do reserve the liquid
1/2 cup milk
3 tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp caraway seeds
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
1 x egg white, beaten with 1 1/2 tsp water
x kosher salt for dusting
x caraway seeds for dusting

Procedures

1. Mix yeast with 1/4 cup of the tepid potato water and sugar in a separate bowl large enough to hold the remaining ingredients.
2. Combine mashed potatoes, 3/4 cup remaining potato water, milk, butter, salt and caraway seeds in a separate bowl.
3. When yeast mixture is foamy, stir in the contents of 2., above. Add the flour, a cup at a time, stirring until dough comes away from bowl.
4. Turn out onto floured board and let rest while you clean and butter a bowl. Knead dough 10 minutes, adding flour if necessary to create a smooth dough. I use a mixer with dough hooks, on the "Fold" setting.
5. Return to bowl and roll dough around to coat it with butter. Cover with a towel and let rise in warm place until double in bulk, about 1 to 2 hours. Punch dough down, knead again,
flouring as needed, for 1-2 minutes. Roll out and divide into six pieces.
6. Form each piece into a smooth ball. Then flatten ball slightly so that it is roll shaped. Set 2 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
7. Cover loosely with towel and let rise until double in bulk, less than 1 hour.
8. Preheat oven to 375 F.
9. Make the star-shaped indentations with a spatula, and brush rolls with egg white mixture and sprinkle with desired amount of kosher salt and caraway seeds.
10. Bake 15 minutes, reduce heat to 325 F and bake 15-20 minutes, until rolls are medium brown.
11. Remove from oven and cool on baking rack.

Note: You can freeze the dough after the first rising. Thaw, continue with the second rise. They will not rise very much, but they still taste good.

Bon apetit!

Again...I'm lazy.. if you don't want to make them from scratch...you can get away with buying decent Kaiser rolls..they don't have to have a hard crust.

Just brush the top of the rolls with egg wash, or if you're more traditional, potato water, or corn starch and water. (They are supposed to be starchy, I think.)

Sprinkle Kosher salt/caraway mixture onto rolls. Bake at 350 for about 5 minutes.

Its a reasonable substitute.

When I've made beef on weck for people out here, they've invariably loved it. And this is beef country.

cookie G
02-02-2014, 01:17 PM
I use my machine to mix and rise the dough, then oven bake. I've found that in my machine (Oster), using warmed water to mix with the sugar and salt and melted margarine in the liquid fraction, using a 2 cup/1 cup bread/all-purpose flour blend, and extra yeast, makes for reliable basic white bread. I oven bake in a 9 1/4 x 5 1/4 x2 3/4 Wilton pan 28 minutes at 375F, putting on a foil tent after 15 minutes.

If you bake in the oven, get a Wilton pan. They're tops - cheap, too:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/department.cfm?dc=2.5

I've started doing that... it comes out better baked in the oven.

But this is pizza dough..I have two pizza stones ready to go for today.

Now excuse me, all this cooking and cooking talk...I need to go do something manly for an hour. Maybe I'll fire up my chainsaw for a while.

Or run and get a quick lap dance.

stuckincincy
02-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Again...I'm lazy.. if you don't want to make them from scratch...you can get away with buying decent Kaiser rolls..they don't have to have a hard crust.

Just brush the top of the rolls with egg wash, or if you're more traditional, potato water, or corn starch and water. (They are supposed to be starchy, I think.)

Sprinkle Kosher salt/caraway mixture onto rolls. Bake at 350 for about 5 minutes.

Its a reasonable substitute.

When I've made beef on weck for people out here, they've invariably loved it. And this is beef country.

Re-read my post. That's what I said about using store-bought rolls if you don't want to make the authentic ones.

BillsImpossible
02-02-2014, 02:02 PM
pmoon6, the best pepperoni is Margheritta cup and char.

They call it, "cup and char," because the pepperonis form a cup of pure love that curls up charred on the rims with a crunchy black crispy carbonized texture.

JCBills
02-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Steak with home fries, onions and mushrooms, green beans on the side.

And Tullamore Dew.

stuckincincy
02-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Steak with home fries, onions and mushrooms, green beans on the side.

And Tullamore Dew.

Heh - can't beat that!

JCBills
02-02-2014, 02:49 PM
I also have a Kielbasa I might grill up after dinner.

Skooby
02-02-2014, 03:12 PM
It's Buffalo style prepared wings baked & fall off the bone ribs here with Buffalo chip dip with sauce & meat, a no miss combo.

tomz
02-02-2014, 04:05 PM
It's Buffalo style prepared wings baked & fall off the bone ribs here with Buffalo chip dip with sauce & meat, a no miss combo.

First time I read that I thought you said no MESS combo. Sounds like sloppy goodness! :)

BADTHINGSMAN
02-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Beef on Weck.

swiper
02-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Meat pimping meat.

Can't beat meat...

Well, actually, you could...

IlluminatusUIUC
02-02-2014, 08:06 PM
At this point my Super Bowl meal is choking back my own vomit

WagonCircler
02-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Well, actually, you could...

As the great Rodney Dangerfield once said, "I shoulda stayed home and played with mySELF."

pmoon6
02-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Eh, I'm lazy, sue me.

The pepperoni I get is decent enough...not exactly Casillo's but it'll make do. Especially when you have a steady dose of non-flavored pepperoni like most places have here.Don't get me wrong, if I could I'd use the machine to make the dough. Hell, if there was a pizzaria in town, I'd just buy their dough. Saves a big step.

Sorry if you thought I was bragging.

Don't know why Coastal thanked your post, though. He brags about his culinary skills all the time.

cookie G
02-02-2014, 09:12 PM
Don't get me wrong, if I could I'd use the machine to make the dough. Hell, if there was a pizzaria in town, I'd just buy their dough. Saves a big step.

Sorry if you thought I was bragging.

Don't know why Coastal thanked your post, though. He brags about his culinary skills all the time.

That's my last Super Bowl...anything...

I'm at that point where, as Sinbad says..."All you want to do is just want to watch the game"..

A bowl of popcorn and a 12 pack, I'll be fine.

People talk through the whole game and then.."shhh, commercial coming on".

/ends rant.

pmoon6
02-02-2014, 09:27 PM
That's my last Super Bowl...anything...

I'm at that point where, as Sinbad says..."All you want to do is just want to watch the game"..

A bowl of popcorn and a 12 pack, I'll be fine.

People talk through the whole game and then.."shhh, commercial coming on".

/ends rant.My wife likes doing the SB thingie. If I was the boss, I would do exactly what you suggest.

imbondz
02-02-2014, 10:05 PM
had a party catered from Blue Coast Burrito. freakin' yum

Meathead
02-03-2014, 05:09 AM
pmoon6, the best pepperoni is Margheritta cup and char.

They call it, "cup and char," because the pepperonis form a cup of pure love that curls up charred on the rims with a crunchy black crispy carbonized texture.

margheritta?!? might as well use spam

TigerJ
02-04-2014, 12:21 PM
I usually make something themed to the city of the team I want to win i.e I made Jambalaya when New Orleans played, Brats for Green Bay, etc.

I'm indifferent this year on the winner, and I know both Denver and Seattle are great beer cities, so maybe I'll just have beer.
In Denver the local cult dish is bull gonads. They fix them in all kinds of inventive ways starting with basic deep frying and getting more exotic. They have a local name for them that I've forgotten. They probably would have been tough to find outside of the Denver area though.

pmoon6
02-04-2014, 12:32 PM
In Denver the local cult dish is bull gonads. They fix them in all kinds of inventive ways starting with basic deep frying and getting more exotic. They have a local name for them that I've forgotten. They probably would have been tough to find outside of the Denver area though.Mountain Oysters and they be good.

jdaltroy5
02-04-2014, 01:00 PM
Made a big pot of chili in the slow cooker and topped it with cheddar, sour cream and green onion. Also made a batch of buffalo wings with a garlic/blue cheese/dill dipping sauce.

We used to go nuts and make all kinds of dips, pizzas, and burgers, but now we just keep it simple and stick to the basics.

Pinkerton Security
02-04-2014, 01:26 PM
I usually make homemade wings but I got a new smoker for Christmas so it was 2 racks of baby backs and a beer can chicken, plus buff chicken dip, taco dip, some veggies and several beers.

http://cdn.smokingmeatforums.com/e/ef/900x900px-LL-efc0d35a_20140202_181112.jpeg

http://cdn.smokingmeatforums.com/b/bd/900x900px-LL-bdd4b707_20140202_194159.jpeg

bleve
02-04-2014, 01:40 PM
In Denver the local cult dish is bull gonads. They fix them in all kinds of inventive ways starting with basic deep frying and getting more exotic. They have a local name for them that I've forgotten. They probably would have been tough to find outside of the Denver area though.

Thanks, and you're right, I probably would not find them here. Come to think of it, I wouldn't want to look. :-)

Mountain Oysters and they be good.

Never tried them, I'm sure I'd prefer Baynes Sound Oysters.

feldspar
02-04-2014, 10:36 PM
Dunno what the hell is wrong with half you guys...bunch of puds. :shoothead:

The last thing in the world that I'd want to do is spend any time at all in the kitchen or cooking ANYTHING on Super Bowl Sunday. Leave that to your women, if they elect to do it and don't care so much for football...not putting down the women here, but sometimes they like to do **** like that for their guys. If not, that's fine too. I'd rather nobody goes through any fuss, personally...then you gotta clean up afterwards and everything.

Personally, I'd rather order out anyway. I got an order of 25 hot chicken wings slapped in front of me straight from the restaurant chef. Great food. No fuss, no muss. Couple of plates to put in the dishwasher. Chips and dip, too this year. Maybe some ready-to-eat shrimp or pizza sometimes.

But hey, that's just me. I hope nobody was offended when I called them puds. LOL. Far be it from me to stop somebody from doing something they enjoy, but I just don't see the attraction of making a big production of making food myself.

pmoon6
02-05-2014, 05:50 AM

The last thing in the world that I'd want to do is spend any time at all in the kitchen or cooking ANYTHING on Super Bowl Sunday. Leave that to your women, if they elect to do it and don't care so much for football...not putting down the women here, but sometimes they like to do **** like that for their guys. If not, that's fine too. I'd rather nobody goes through any fuss, personally...then you gotta clean up afterwards and everything.

Personally, I'd rather order out anyway. I got an order of 25 hot chicken wings slapped in front of me straight from the restaurant chef. Great food. No fuss, no muss. Couple of plates to put in the dishwasher. Chips and dip, too this year. Maybe some ready-to-eat shrimp or pizza sometimes.

But hey, that's just me. I hope nobody was offended when I called them puds. LOL. Far be it from me to stop somebody from doing something they enjoy, but I just don't see the attraction of making a big production of making food myself.I get that. I had that luxury for years. It was great, but unfortunately my wife became disabled and can no longer do everything. Besides, I enjoy cooking. It became a hobby when the Food Network came on and I worked graveyard. Nothing really to do when I got off work except go to the gym and then maybe rent a movie. Kids were in school and everyone else was working.

Anyway, it's not that hard if you plan and prep in advance and it adds a personal touch if you have guests over. I also think the home cook can tailor his food instead of the one size fits all commercial stuff.

Oh, and as far as pizza and wings, most of the rest of the country doesn't have a clue on how to make them and I have lived out of state for 35 years.

WNY....Baby.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-05-2014, 11:43 AM

But hey, that's just me. I hope nobody was offended when I called them puds. LOL. Far be it from me to stop somebody from doing something they enjoy, but I just don't see the attraction of making a big production of making food myself.

Cooking is the common man's art form. I'm never going to paint a potrait or record a song, but I can make some mean food.

jdaltroy5
02-05-2014, 11:47 AM

But hey, that's just me. I hope nobody was offended when I called them puds. LOL. Far be it from me to stop somebody from doing something they enjoy, but I just don't see the attraction of making a big production of making food myself.I usually pre-cook all my SB food the day before and then just warm it up for the game. It tastes better that way too, because the flavours have had a chance to mingle.

Making your own food is 10x better and more satisfying than ordering some crappy take out.

stuckincincy
02-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Making your own food is 10x better and more satisfying than ordering some crappy take out.

Absolutely. The TV chef Mario Batali once said that dining out is what you do when you don't feel like doing dishes.

bleve
02-05-2014, 12:29 PM
I enjoy making "from scratch" meals. It's my quiet time. I put on Pandora, and go about my business. The food is good, and healthy.

Pinkerton Security
02-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Cooking is the common man's art form. I'm never going to paint a potrait or record a song, but I can make some mean food.

truth - pretty satisfying to make something at home that you'd pay $25 at a restaurant for as well.

Im already in love with my smoker - have to add wood chips/chunks a couple times but other than that, its pretty much set it and forget it. I loved making wings every year but I always ended up missing some of the game since I'd cook about 12 pounds lol.

stuckincincy
02-05-2014, 12:52 PM
truth - pretty satisfying to make something at home that you'd pay $25 at a restaurant for as well.

Yep. Great cost savings, too. Wife 'n me go to a locally-based chain for breakfast on Saturday. I have 2 eggs, 2 sausage patties, 2 toast. That costs $4.85 plus tax and tip. At-home cost is under a buck. A simple burger at other than the fast food chains runs 5 or 7 bucks here. Insanity. Lousy burgers, too - they cook the daylights out of 'em because of lawsuit worry, and even if you ask for different, they do a half-hearted job.

Heh - I was 16 when I went to my first restaurant, other than an ice cream stand. How times have changed...