PDA

View Full Version : Sabres not interested in Callahan...at least not yet

DetDannyWilliams
02-02-2014, 12:34 PM
New York Rangers captain Ryan Callahan is on the market, but the Sabres aren’t shopping for him. At least not yet.
Multiple reports say New York has given teams permission to talk with Callahan’s agent about a sign-and-trade deal for the pending unrestricted free agent. The Sabres have not inquired about Callahan, a source with knowledge of the situation tells The Buffalo News.
Callahan, a Rochester native who will represent the United States at the Olympics, is finishing a three-year deal that pays $4.275 million annually. The 28-year-old winger has nine goals and 21 points in 39 games.
“I’m not going to talk about that stuff now,” Callahan told reporters Saturday in New York. “I don’t think it’s productive to the process, the negotiations or anything.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/sabres-notebook-buffalo-not-showing-interest-in-callahan-20140202

JATMtheJATM
02-02-2014, 01:06 PM
i would love callahan, but not as a trade, right now.

but this summer? id go after him in a heartbeat. its highly unlikely he would sign in sabreland, but its worth a shot.

Skooby
02-02-2014, 01:28 PM
i would love callahan, but not as a trade, right now.

but this summer? id go after him in a heartbeat. its highly unlikely he would sign in sabreland, but its worth a shot.

It depends on how much we can spend on him after dumping out over-priced holdovers.

JATMtheJATM
02-02-2014, 01:52 PM
It depends on how much we can spend on him after dumping out over-priced holdovers.

the sabres arent going to have a cap problem, so i wouldnt worry.

Downinfloflo
02-02-2014, 02:44 PM
One thing I like about Sather, He don't dick around with the players.

Cally was offered $30m over 5 years, That a fair deal for a guy with his skill and injury issues that come about due to his style of play.

If he want's to make $1.6 million less then Rick Nash let him get it somewhere else.

A sign and trade is a great option for the Rangers as it would maximize the return they would get for Cally, (Not just a 6 week rentals return)

With all that's been floated out there, Both sides are playing hardball and I see him resigning for $5.5m for 5-6 years.

Dan Girardi is said to be close on his new contract.

JATMtheJATM
02-02-2014, 02:54 PM
One thing I like about Sather, He don't dick around with the players.

Cally was offered $30m over 5 years, That a fair deal for a guy with his skill and injury issues that come about due to his style of play.

If he want's to make $1.6 million less then Rick Nash let him get it somewhere else.

A sign and trade is a great option for the Rangers as it would maximize the return they would get for Cally, (Not just a 6 week rentals return)

With all that's been floated out there, Both sides are playing hardball and I see him resigning for $5.5m for 5-6 years.

Dan Girardi is said to be close on his new contract.

the rangers would get a good return even if it was a rental. teams that feel they are getting a piece of puzzle for a cup overspend on rentals all the time. remember the time goose got the sabres a first rounder?

swiper
02-05-2014, 05:29 AM
Katie Strang of ESPN (https://twitter.com/KatieStrangESPN/status/430388451796451328): Ryan Callahan is reportedly looking for a seven-year deal in the $42 million range, and the Rangers reportedly offered a five-year deal worth $30 million.

For 11 goals/13 assists? No thanks.

OpIv37
02-05-2014, 07:38 AM
I've been saying all along that the Sabres need young talent, but they need vets to settle things down too. And they need to spend money. Capgeek has their projected payroll at $42 million, and it'll be less if Leino is a compliance buyout.

The cap floor is estimated at $52 million, ceiling at $64 million. Translation: the Sabres HAVE to spend at least $10 million and can spend up to $22 million if they want. Granted, they do have a lot of guys to re-sign or replace, but there is a lot of room there to make some moves.

I think Callahan is the kind of guy who would help. And he's from Rochester so it's a good marketing move too.

swiper
02-05-2014, 07:59 AM
I've been saying all along that the Sabres need young talent, but they need vets to settle things down too. And they need to spend money. Capgeek has their projected payroll at $42 million, and it'll be less if Leino is a compliance buyout.

The cap floor is estimated at $52 million, ceiling at $64 million. Translation: the Sabres HAVE to spend at least $10 million and can spend up to $22 million if they want. Granted, they do have a lot of guys to re-sign or replace, but there is a lot of room there to make some moves.

I think Callahan is the kind of guy who would help. And he's from Rochester so it's a good marketing move too.

Valid point, but Callahan just isn't that good. He's ok, but is he really an upgrade over Hodgson? To overpay for the production that Callahan will bring is, to me, the same as overpaying for what Leino and Stafford bring.

trapezeus
02-05-2014, 11:05 AM
i think of callahan as a drury type guy. people love his day to day prep. he's a leader who sets an example. He doesn't score the most goals, but he is of significant help. having him around could be good for younger talent.

however, i wouldn't trade anything to get him if he's a free agent this summer.

as op said, the sabres will need to spend some serious cash to get to the minimum. He's a good guy to put it on.

Downinfloflo
02-05-2014, 02:07 PM
Valid point, but Callahan just isn't that good. He's ok, but is he really an upgrade over Hodgson? To overpay for the production that Callahan will bring is, to me, the same as overpaying for what Leino and Stafford bring.

Ryan Callahan is the Swiss army knife of hockey players.

Hodgson is a one trick pony, If he don't score he's turning over the puck and getting scored on.

Callahan could play in net if you needed him to.And even teach Cody to how to win a faceoff.

Is he worth close to $7m a season, To the Sabres he would be.

I highly doubt he would sign with the Sabres even if they did give him a brinks truck, He's all about winning and that won't happen in Buffalo.

- - - Updated - - -

The Cap will be around $70m.

trapezeus
02-07-2014, 10:42 AM
he would be a guy who would be part of the growing process. he could conceivably be the part that starts the talent acquisition. he's young enough that he'd definitely see improvements by year 2.

the sabres suck right now, but i don't think they are in a 3Y rebuild where it will still be this dire 3 years from now (famous last words). I think after this draft (if they get 2 #1 very high via islanders) and a couple mid level free agents, this team should be struggling for the 8 spot. and if they get another good draft, the system of developing players should put out a decent playoff team in 2 years.

Callahan would more than be capable to be an excellent C to lead this team.