PDA

View Full Version : The NFL Needs More Than 16 Games, Playoffs and The Super Bowl

BillsImpossible
02-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Well, the day has come when the Super Bowl marks the end of another short, not long enough season.

Here come the dreadful boring days of a long, late winter in February. Beer please.

September, October, November, December, January, done.

5 months of football isn't enough. A giant void in February exists to fill with fun and money.

As Berry White once said, "It's just not enough."

I'm not in favor of an 18 game season, at least not yet. In order for that to happen, the next CBA between the players and league owners could spell the end of preseason football, and they should.

I think the players would agree to an 18 game season if and only if all 4 preseason games are eliminated, plus the addition of teams being able to carry a 56 man roster instead of 53, and having 2 BYE weeks instead of 1.

Players hate preseason with a passion, as do the fans for having to pay regular season prices to watch 3rd and 4th stringers in games that mean nothing but potential serious injuries.

It is time to get rid of preseason football forever. Everyone would be happy, everyone wins, networks included.

The league is already talking about expanding the playoffs to include an extra team from each conference. If that means adding an extra week to the already too short season, hell yes.

Ways to make the NFL season longer:

Start the season on September 12th every year, regardless of what day it falls on. Early September is back to school time, back from vacation time, and back to work time for a lot of people. 80 degrees at the Ralph on opening day just isn't right!

Eliminate 4 useless preseason games.

Add 2 more regular season games.

Expand the playoffs to 14 teams.

Add 1 more bye week for each team.

That's 4 more extra weeks of football to watch, moving the Super Bowl to early March instead of early February.

If the NFL wants to have more cold weather Super Bowls, early March would be a better time to have it.

Also, January is tough on a lot of people after the Christmas bills roll in and money is tight. Business owners hate January.

Playoff games this year almost didn't sell out. There were over 12,000 Super Bowl tickets available only a few days ago.

Time for a good change, NFL.

Skooby
02-02-2014, 01:10 PM
The later the game start from September, the worse the weather gets unless you're in a dome / Southern states.

stuckincincy
02-02-2014, 01:11 PM
It's all fluffy goodness. Every last word.

BillsImpossible
02-02-2014, 01:17 PM
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/48-tcRiBNj4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BillsImpossible
02-02-2014, 01:23 PM
The later the game start from September, the worse the weather gets unless you're in a dome / Southern states.

Good for us.

Don't Panic
02-02-2014, 01:56 PM
I take it you're not a college basketball fan.

BillsImpossible
02-02-2014, 02:05 PM
I take it you're not a college basketball fan.

I'm not a basketball fan at all. I'd rather watch curling on the CBC.

Don't Panic
02-02-2014, 02:29 PM
I'm not a basketball fan at all. I'd rather watch curling on the CBC.

You missed a ton of great games yesterday, and they're just getting started. NCAA tourney still charts as the greatest sporting event in the world in my eyes.

YardRat
02-02-2014, 02:35 PM
I used to be an opponent of ditching preseason games, but let's face it...they really don't mean dick anymore. The slightest bruise for starters keeps them out, so they aren't getting the 'benefit' of getting live snaps, and what depth players and new additions do during the practices in training camp mean a helluva lot more than the games as we've all seen, repeatedly, players who appear to be producing in the ps games get jettisoned and not make the final roster. Would like to keep one, and see the NFL make it somewhat relevant, somehow, even if it's just from a marketing standpoint (league-wide Kid's Day, for example, with cut-rate tickets. Hook the lil' ****ers early).

I'd accept the changes listed in the OP, but I am a NCAA MBB fan, so I have that after today, and that coupled with NASCAR are real revenue generators, so I think the league would be hard pressed to push their product much farther into the spring, the additional time will probably come on the front end, not the back.

On an end note, I actually enjoy the off-season with free agency and the draft just as much as the season, and obviously I'm not the only one, so in reality just as it has for the athletes the game is a twelve month endeavor for anybody that isn't just a casual fan.