• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DetDannyWilliams
    Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie.
    • Feb 2013

new idea being floated around about keeping the Bills here

Imagine this offer for a rabid Buffalo Bills fan:
    For a nominal amount – maybe as low as $100 – you get a certificate that you can frame, similar to a stock certificate.
    No, you don’t get any stock in the Bills. And you get repaid only if your investment isn’t used and the team leaves Buffalo.
    Here’s how the plan could work, using hypothetical numbers.
    Let’s say the Bills were to be sold for $870 million. The new buyers could put up $470 million, borrow another $300 million at market interest rates and use the remaining $100 million, at no interest, through the fans’ fund. That $100 million might be repaid over 20 years, but to the fund, not to the individual donors.
    The fund organizers have research suggesting they can raise more than that. Raising somewhere between $100 million and $170 million through the fund could, according to the fan alliance, save a new owner anywhere from about $7.5 million to $12.8 million in interest payments per year.
    In return, the ownership group would have to guarantee keeping the Bills in Buffalo for a certain, specified amount of time.
    To those who scoff at roughly a $10 million annual saving for multimillionaires, the fund creators say it’s the equivalent of an entire season of some teams’ luxury-suite revenues. And in the Bills case, it would buy the equivalent of 173,000 additional tickets for a season.
    That’s no chump change, in any financial circle.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/erie-county/can-fans-help-keep-bills-here-20140201
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Re: new idea being floated around about keeping the Bills here

Whatever it takes... so long as the group dropping the $470 million is competent and wants to win.

Comment

• Gilly
      Go Sabres!!
      • Sep 2012

I'm in....

“A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness,"

Comment

• Mike
        • Jan 2009

Generally, business owners hate the idea of being stuck or confined and not allowing them to have options will limit their interest in this idea.Only way this works is if there's a buy out. The new owners can pay the $100M or whatever is owed and move the team. However, having such a buy out renders the intent of said agreement meaningless and only precures an interest free loan to owner.
        Please Make Sense

Comment

• stuckincincy
          Buffalo Bills Fan
          • Sep 2003

Once again, Ponzi and Barnum were right.
          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
            Skoobasaurus-Rex
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
            Once again, Ponzi and Barnum were right.
            Who invests tiny amounts in Billionaires ?

Comment

• stuckincincy
              Buffalo Bills Fan
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
              Who invests tiny amounts in Billionaires ?
              The dreamers, 100 bucks at a time. And they brag and tell their friends, and they tell their friends and so on.
              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                • Sep 2003

I'd spend a grand on it.

Comment

• ckg927
                  Not quite Best in the World....
                  • Aug 2012

The NFL would shoot this idea down in a heartbeat.

Green Bay is the only team that does this and they will be the ONLY team.
                  John Hemingway(facing certain death): I want to see Buffalo win the Super Bowl.
                  David Coltrane(threatening John): Nobody's going to live that long, pal.

-The John Larroquette Show, "A Dark and Stormy Night", 4/12/94

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                    • Jul 2002

I am definitely giving $100.

Not like I am giving my life savings.

If my $100 helps keep the Bills here great.

If not big whup I eat in instead of going out to dinner.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ckg927 View Post
                      The NFL would shoot this idea down in a heartbeat.

Green Bay is the only team that does this and they will be the ONLY team.
                      Explain how the NFL could shoot the idea down.

Did you read the article

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                        The dreamers, 100 bucks at a time. And they brag and tell their friends, and they tell their friends and so on.
                        And the miserable *****s go on and on about how the city and the team wont change, meanwhile not doing anything to help. YUCK!

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

i thought this was a one off for greenbay back in the day but that the NFL doesn't like it in general.

if it was available, i'd do it. but i think the NFL knows how much it would hurt them if they allowed it. because fans would do it in a heart beat and have more control. and that would impact their profitability and control. Two things the NFL doesn't like giving up.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

I posted before that Bob Rich of Rich products view the Bills as a cultural asset of Buffalo & he said he & his friends like the Knox family would do everything in their power to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

A plan is in place to keep the Bills in Buffalo, I have no doubt about that.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
                              i thought this was a one off for greenbay back in the day but that the NFL doesn't like it in general.

if it was available, i'd do it. but i think the NFL knows how much it would hurt them if they allowed it. because fans would do it in a heart beat and have more control. and that would impact their profitability and control. Two things the NFL doesn't like giving up.
                              Are you guys not reading the article??

In Green Bay the fans own stock in the team.

In this scenario the Bills fans are creating a fund that they will give to the new owners to help make keeping the team in Buffalo more attractive.

Comment

Working...
                              X