Copycat NFL - Do More Teams Switch Priority Back To D With Seattle WIn ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Copycat NFL - Do More Teams Switch Priority Back To D With Seattle WIn ?

I rooted for Manning but marvel at that Seattle D. That was amazing.

It will be interesting to watch whether other teams reboot their thinking, come this off-season. Seattle has a great Front 7 and a unique secondary in that the CB's are bigger than the norm, plus the Safties are built like LB's. So they have imposing size and strength everywhere within that tight zone they employ and just pound the stuffing out of the opposing D. Hard to find any daylight in the passing game, let alone run.

Sound be interesting to watch teams in FA and the Draft. Will priorities shift to the D after watching that SB ? Should be interesting to observe. I'm thinking that Seattle D left a lasting impression on many GM's and coaches.
    Last edited by Night Train; 02-03-2014, 05:28 AM.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Copycat NFL - Do More Teams Switch Priority Back To D With Seattle WIn ?

As you stated, it is a copy cat league.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• alohabillsfan
      • Sep 2003

Yes, so the bills will be employing the tampa two :) and drafting a freaking guard at 9

Comment

• Historian
        2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by alohabillsfan View Post
        Yes, so the bills will be employing the tampa two :) and drafting a freaking guard at 9
        They're probably still trying to sign Tony Casillas...

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
          • Sep 2012

It's an easy plan. First off, you draft a Pro Bowl safety in the 5th round. Then next year, you draft a lockdown, legit DPOY candidate corner in the 5th round. Then you find a top 5 halfback available for the change in your couch cushions. Top that off with a heady, pro ready QB in the 3rd round, and you're golden.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
            • Aug 2004

That's the trap I hope the Bills to avoid. The big plus Seattle got is the late round draft picks they turned into golden the last couple of years. And their early round picks don't $uck. And you turn the team around quickly.

Comment

• Buffalogic
              Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
              • Feb 2006

We must draft a linebacker at 9. It's pretty obvious at this point.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Wagon Circler View Post
                We must draft a linebacker at 9. It's pretty obvious at this point.
                That's just the trap I'm talking about: spend on defense.

Wouldn't it be great we get a Sherman kind of talent equivalent on a linebacker in round 5? We may get another player maker with the 9th pick.

The bottom line to me is getting quality players in draft. Looking at the history, just the Bills history, you can see that if we hit on two players every draft, we are basically maintaining status quo. Hit on 3, 4 etc., you are really improving (last year looks like one of those). If you hit on only one player or less, you are putting yourself behind.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                  • Sep 2009

When was defense not a priority?

Seattle managed to draft multiple All Pros on that side of the ball. Few teams do.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                    • Aug 2004

So the mentra is just just all pros - does not matter offense or defense or even special teams. If you can do that - that's a HUGE IF, you will be in superbowl in no time.

Comment

• Later
                      • Oct 2007

No way. The key to victory is to just draft TJ Graham's and Marcus Goodwin's and pick up garbage OL off the street.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                        • Aug 2004

I don't get the hate for Nix. Graham vs Wilson is one case that I'm sure he regreted now. But any GM, even the best one, you can list such an example. Brady was drafted in the 6th round. I guess looking up the picks around him, you can add a long list of theose dud GMs.

Overall, you can't help but admit the Bills talent level has gone up since Nix at the helm. Hope Whaley continues the trend and adds pleasant surprises now and then.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Later View Post
                          No way. The key to victory is to just draft TJ Graham's and Marcus Goodwin's and pick up garbage OL off the street.
                          You might want to peruse the offensive lines around the league and see how the starters were acquired. If you really want a hoot, look up the Cowboy's offensive line from back in the day when they were ass-raping our defense in Super Bowls. Let me know if you find a single team that doesn't field 'garbage OL off the street', OK?
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• jdaltroy5
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                            You might want to peruse the offensive lines around the league and see how the starters were acquired. If you really want a hoot, look up the Cowboy's offensive line from back in the day when they were ass-raping our defense in Super Bowls. Let me know if you find a single team that doesn't field 'garbage OL off the street', OK?
                            You might want to peruse the word "sarcasm" in the dictionary.

Comment

• Meathead
                              Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                              • Jul 2002

yes teams will copycat like they always do but it wont change the fact that the nfl rules have migrated consistently to favoring the qb above all else so that will remain the 'easiest' way to win. doesnt make it the only way but more often than not it will have more consistent success than trying to assemble and retain a killer d unit

so really unless you need a qb your draft picks should always be bpa with maybe the only exception being rb. step one is to get your qb or somebody you think might be your qb (ie ej), step two is everybody else. rbs are only excepted bc spending a high pick on a rb appears to not pay off as well as pretty much every other position

i dont expect the bills to spend a high pick on qb and i think thats the right move while they have ej and major holes elsewhere. but i can also see the logic of leaning toward picking qbs until you find yours even if you have an ej in process. it all depends on how confident you are that you have your qb. marrone has expressed repeatedly he thinks ej is going to be very good so most likely the bills are going to just double down on that and use high picks for positions of need

i think thats the right call but then again my job doesnt depend on it
                              One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

Working...
                              X