• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WagonCircler
    Escaped Convict
    • Jul 2002

OK, so basically the Seahawks cheated

Seahawks star Richard Sherman says they cracked Peyton Manning's hand signal code during the Super Bowl so they were able to predict every play

Seahawks star Richard Sherman says they cracked Peyton Manning's hand signal code during the Super Bowl so they were able to predict every play

Read more:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2sNyoOKp1
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Some will argue, of course, that it's part of the game.

I don't see how this is much different than what Belichick did.

In baseball, stealing signals is considered cheating, and I agree. It's cheating.

Had the Seahawks used a hi-tech devise to eavesdrop on the Broncos' huddle, would that be seen as cheating? I say absolutely. This is no different.
  • Mindbender
    • Apr 2010

Re: OK, so basically the Seahawks cheated

Part of the game. Would you call Manning's reading of defenses cheating?
    "Talk is cheap, we all know that. It's like I've always said, don't tell me about the labor pains, just show me the baby. That's what we've got to do. We've got to show you the baby, and the baby is winning." ~Buddy Nix

Comment

• Meathead
      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
      • Jul 2002

idk, is visually stealing hand signals officially against the rules? honestly i dont think it should be

in any event, being able to steal signals while watching something live is COM-PLETE-LY different than recording them. you give me tapes of an opponents signals and im going to hire a team of geeks to digitize everything, chart every signal, compare it against the gametape of what actually happened, and produce a magic batman decoder ring that will tell me what play they are running

adding a video record of hand signals increases your ability to decode them more accurately by a factor of approximately 1,203,347.45%, so yeah id say they are very different
      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• WagonCircler
        Escaped Convict
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
        in any event, being able to steal signals while watching something live is COM-PLETE-LY different than recording them.
        How do you suppose they cracked the code? You don't think it involved recording?

Wait, let me guess. Racism.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Mindbender View Post
        Part of the game. Would you call Manning's reading of defenses cheating?
        Apple, meet orange.

Comment

• Meathead
          • Jul 2002

really its shame on peyton and the broncos to not be prepared to prevent them from stealing signals. thats like central to their jobs and there are established ways to get that done. so in a day full of bronco blunders that was just another huge one

Comment

• SquishDaFish
            Lets GO BUFFALO!!
            • Jun 2005

I don't think it's cheating they figured it out during the game so I dont see that as cheating. I see that as using your brain

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
              Skoobasaurus-Rex
              • Oct 2011

Omaha.... steak.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                idk, is visually stealing hand signals officially against the rules? honestly i dont think it should be

in any event, being able to steal signals while watching something live is COM-PLETE-LY different than recording them. you give me tapes of an opponents signals and im going to hire a team of geeks to digitize everything, chart every signal, compare it against the gametape of what actually happened, and produce a magic batman decoder ring that will tell me what play they are running

adding a video record of hand signals increases your ability to decode them more accurately by a factor of approximately 1,203,347.45%, so yeah id say they are very different
                It's a shame his center couldn't read his hand signal to not snap the ball to him on the first play from scrimmage otherwise it might have been a totally different game.

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

fake controversy.

meathead's comment is pretty much the answer. case closed.

Comment

• Mike13
                    • Aug 2005

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                    It's a shame his center couldn't read his hand signal to not snap the ball to him on the first play from scrimmage otherwise it might have been a totally different game.
                    Yeah, Seattle would have scored two less points.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                      Skoobasaurus-Rex
                      • Oct 2011

A 35 point win tells me that Seattle came in with the #1 defense & the Broncos didn't show up.

Comment

• AndreReed83
                        Dink or dunk, Mularkey just plain stunk.
                        • Mar 2004

Most offenses change or plan offensive wrinkles during the practice week. Which means no video evidence should exist of these wrinkles. It should then be up to the defensive staff to identify these changes when the two teams play and react to it.

Belichick was video tapping these practices when offenses were being installed and no previous evidence should have existed. Definitely not in in the spirit of the game.

The Seahawks saw that Peyton Manning used hand signals to call routes for his receivers by watching past game footage. They had to take the time to cipher through game footage, determine what each hand signal was, and then react to it properly. The Broncos did not adjust to this the ENTIRE game.

"Look it up Thurman!!!" ~Marv Levy~
                        "It's like someone walking into your house and punching your mother RIGHT in the the face." ~Darryl Talley ~

Comment

• Meathead
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
                          meathead's comment is pretty much the answer. case closed.
                          this really should be part of the TOS

Comment

• Don't Panic
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Dec 2005

I don't know... its one thing to read a defense at the line of scrimmage in front of the whole world and make adjustments. Its another to have a secret leg up on the competition. Between this and the PED whispers, I think we may have an asterisks coming....

Comment

• Meathead
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                              nah. that sucked for denver but a veteran team and certainly peyton shoulda been able to overcome that. seattle only got a fg out of that drive so really it was a five point mistake with just a few minutes gone. denver had plenty of time to make up for that

when you think about it, the denver defense played well enough to win, certainly well into the third quarter. it was mistake after mistake by the broncos offense and special teams that doomed them. and as much as i like peyton as a player, this didnt do anything to help him shake his reputation of being shakey in big games cuz he was awful

Comment

Working...
                              X