Buying The Schwartz…Was it The Right Hire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raptor
    • Jan 2009

Buying The Schwartz…Was it The Right Hire?

I agree with, I dont think we should have made a shift in philosphy when we finally found a defense that seemed to be on the way to being dominant
    It’s been over a week now and I still don’t like the hire of Jim Schwartz as the new defensive coordinator of the Buffalo Bills. Its not that I don’t think he is qualified or a bad coach. I think as far as DC goes he is good but not great. Which for this franchise at that coaching position is not a bad thing at all. Bills fans know it could be worse, a lot worse

It’s not so much the coach that I can’t get on board with but rather the switch in philosophies. Myself personally, I have always been a fan of the 3-4 and more recently the hybrid defense. It likely stems from the glory days of the Bills in the 90’s. Where I saw a defense that was dominate year in and year out. I’ve taken to the hybrid more recently because I feel offenses have advanced so far that you have to try and match wits now with opposing QB’s and OC rather than taking the my guy can beat your guy style. The hybrid and the 3-4 in my opinion give you far more options in terms of masking pressure and coverage’s than a standard 4-3 does.......

..........While I have seen this defense be effective I don’t understand why the Bills would want to move away from what they had last year. No, they were not going to change Pettines mind about staying. He has always had aspirations to be a head coach and I have no ill will towards anyone realizing their dream.

Still, the Bills found a defense that both players and fans truly liked. The Players often gushed about how they loved the style and really bought into it. So if you are the Bills why wouldn’t you find a coach to continue to build on what looked like a really strong foundation in year one. Just look at the years some of the Bills defensive players had in this defense last year

-Mario Williams looked like a 100 million dollar player
    -After a rough second year Dareus finally looked like a top 5 pick
    -Kyle Williams had the best year of his career
    -L.McKelvin finally found a defense he can play well in on a consistent basis
    -Manny Lawson found a home in a defense he looked very good in
    -Jerry Hughes went from first round bust to a pass rushing fiend
    -Two rookies, K.Alonso and N.Robey, in their first year excelled in this defense. Alonso to the point where he almost took home rookie of the year honors.

So if you were the Bills why wouldn’t you look to continue to build off of that? Players across the board on every level were finally tapping into their potential and the Bills decide to hire a defensive coordinator who has a drastically different way of playing defense................
    NFL Draft Mock Draft and Prospect Rankings Buffalo Bills Draft Preview -Fitting the Bills profootballwarroom.com
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: Buying The Schwartz…Was it The Right Hire?

Ummm...Schwartz said we will maintain a mulitple front look that will include 43, 34, Wide 9, and other looks...

This article is way too premature.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Swiper
      • Sep 2010

Absolutely no one said there has been a change in defensive philosophy. No one. The d-coordinatoor left. They had to hire a new one. They got a good one. What's the problem?

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
        • Jul 2005

I've seen complaints about the hire, but haven't really seen a good alternative proposed. Who else should we have hired?
        Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Swiper
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim View Post
          I've seen complaints about the hire, but haven't really seen a good alternative proposed. Who else should we have hired?
          You're absolutely right. Saw plenty of (bad imo) ideas before the hire, but none afterwards.

What do you say about Mike Singletary?

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

I advocated for continuity in schemes before Jim Schwartz was hired, but he is the Bills' defensive coordinator now whether he incorporates some or all of what Mike Pettine did or not, we go forward. Get him any tools he needs and lets see if we can make this defense better.
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• trapezeus
              Legendary Zoner
              • Oct 2004

i only worry that schwarz had no control over suh for tardiness and other things that dareus is showing. i think this ends badly, but i liked that they actually went and got a guy with a track record. hopefully he's smart enough to work with what he has as opposed to trying something dramatically new.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

I think the original poster forgot the Bills could not stop even mediocre RB's last year.

I expect the defense under Schwartz to be better than it was last year.

Comment

• Goobylal
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim View Post
                  I wanted Wade Phillips, but that probably would have necessitated a scheme change.
                  Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
                  i only worry that schwarz had no control over suh for tardiness and other things that dareus is showing. i think this ends badly, but i liked that they actually went and got a guy with a track record. hopefully he's smart enough to work with what he has as opposed to trying something dramatically new.
                  Not sure I understand the logic here. Schwartz was the HC and had no control over Suh, so why should you be worried that he'll have no control over Dareus when he'll now be the DC? Shouldn't you be worried about Marrone?

In any case, I think Pepper Johnson has enough cred to keep Dareus in line.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                    Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
                    I'm not worried about this because Marrone is there. He's a big guy, former player. The team has respect for that and can relate to it, so I don't see players trying to walk all over Schwartz. I think he will be good with this defense. He's got some good secondary players here that he really hasn't had anywhere else he's coached. He has improved every team's rush defense he was a part of, so it should be a good mix.

Just get a couple linebackers and I think this defense can be very scary. Must keep Byrd though.

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

The only Coach on Pettine's staff I would have considered for the DC position is Donnie Henderson & it is questionable what his defense would have been & how well he would have ran it.

Pepper Johnson was another possibility for DC, but the Bills have him at least a year along with Schwartz.

I think this Defensive staff may be the best the Bills have ever had.

Comment

• Goobylal
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by better days View Post
                        The only Coach on Pettine's staff I would have considered for the DC position is Donnie Henderson & it is questionable what his defense would have been & how well he would have ran it.

Pepper Johnson was another possibility for DC, but the Bills have him at least a year along with Schwartz.

I think this Defensive staff may be the best the Bills have ever had.
                        Let's hope, because Wade's defenses were some of the best.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                          Let's hope, because Wade's defenses were some of the best.
                          Agreed. But I can't remember who Wade had under him.

Can anyone else?

Pepper Johnson & Donnie Henderson are two names you don't forget & both are very good Coaches.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

The more I read about Schwartz, the more I'm liking the hire. If Schwartz was available when we were looking for a DC last year, I would think people would even lean towards hiring Schwartz over Pettine based on track record.

Marrone took a horrible college program and turned it around. Schwartz took a horrible NFL team and took them to the playoffs. Inspite that, I wouldn't be confident in making Schwartz the HC, but as a DC he can focus on one unit even though he's taken an NFL team to the playoffs and Marrone hasn't.

For those who are worried about discipline, Marrone is the HC and the entire team will react based on him just like the entire team took the personality of Dick Jauron.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Goobylal
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by better days View Post
                              Agreed. But I can't remember who Wade had under him.

Can anyone else?

Pepper Johnson & Donnie Henderson are two names you don't forget & both are very good Coaches.
                              When he was DC he had Dan Sekanovich (DL), Ted Cottrell (LB) and Dick Roach (DB) as assistants. When he was HC, Cottrell was DC and he had John Levra, Chuck Lester, and Bill Bradley.

And Henderson was the guy I was most impressed with given what he did with the secondary (minus Rogers).

Comment

Working...
                              X