• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buffalogic
    Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
    • Feb 2006

Backup QB

We should bring in a more traditional back up quarterback with EJ's injury history. A pocket passer; a game manager type. I would be pleased if they signed a guy like Cassel, who just opted out of his contract. I'm sure he's looking for a starting job, but I think he will realize there will be no opportunity for that as free agency moves forward.

Any others to consider?
  • The Jokeman
    • Dec 2003

Re: Backup QB

Originally posted by Wagon Circler View Post
    We should bring in a more traditional back up quarterback with EJ's injury history. A pocket passer; a game manager type. I would be pleased if they signed a guy like Cassel, who just opted out of his contract. I'm sure he's looking for a starting job, but I think he will realize there will be no opportunity for that as free agency moves forward.

Any others to consider?
    Shaun Hill was Stafford's backup in Detroit and due to the QB coach ties he seems like a good guy to pursue and he meets your drop back QB veteran request, here's a good writeup http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lion...-qb-shaun-hill

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

I think the Bills are interested in keeping the offense in the same type of rhythm, so someone who is similar to Manuel. I think Thad fits the bill.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• k-oneputt
        • Jun 2009

We already have our backup qb, he is currently the starter.
        Now need to find a starting NFL caliber qb.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Thad could be a game manager if that's what the coaches want him to be , but that's not our coaches philosophy. IF we bring in another qb I want someone who has the potential to be a franchise qb but I doubt the bills will do that to EJ.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Buffalogic
            • Feb 2006

I think we have seen enough of Thad to accept he is at best a third option. We need a savvy vet that can come in and the wheels won't fall off. Similar to the job Fitz did in Tennessee. They were in it pretty much until the end, just lacked fire power to make the playoffs. Vick would be a good option too with his dynamic game. He's become a pocket passer as his career has progressed, but he could also help EJ with when, and how to run successfully.

Comment

• EDS
              • Jan 2003

I am with others, I am much more concerned with making sure the team has the right starter in place than worrying about whether the back-up is good enough.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                • Sep 2012

I think we have seen enough of Thad to accept he is at best a third option. We need a savvy vet that can come in and the wheels won't fall off. Similar to the job Fitz did in Tennessee. They were in it pretty much until the end, just lacked fire power to make the playoffs. Vick would be a good option too with his dynamic game. He's become a pocket passer as his career has progressed, but he could also help EJ with when, and how to run successfully.
                I feel like the team already thinks they have this in Kolb.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Buffalogic
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                  I feel like the team already thinks they have this in Kolb.
                  He's hurt more than the starter. Kolb would be fine if he wasn't made of glass. We need reliability.

And to those who are talking about the starter, just face it, it's EJ. At least for this upcoming year. So it's time to plan around that and if he gets hurt, I'm not willing to flush the season down the toilet again.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                    • Sep 2012

He's hurt more than the starter. Kolb would be fine if he wasn't made of glass. We need reliability.
                    You're preaching to the choir, I was criticizing Kolb on the day we signed him. The backup I wanted to keep was Jackson.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• X-Era
                      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by The King View Post
                      I think the Bills are interested in keeping the offense in the same type of rhythm, so someone who is similar to Manuel. I think Thad fits the bill.
                      Yep. I bet they don't even bring any FA in at QB. I think Kolb gets an injury settlement.

Comment

• jimmifli
                        • Nov 2006

Why? Are we trying to save the season if EJ goes down?

I'd much rather have a rookie QB in that spot and hope we win the lottery than have to watch a scrub struggle to go 500.

Comment

• jdaltroy5
                          • Aug 2012

I'd like to drop Tuel and pick Mettenberger or Murray in the 4th round. They can be our 3rd string benchwarmer for a year or two until they learn the pro game.

I'd also like to pick up a veteran to compete with Thad for the back up spot.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                            • Feb 2006

This defense next year I think will be able to carry us to the post season sans epic failure from the QB position. EJ will get hurt. You can almost pencil it in, but I'm not looking to waste our defense for a year just because EJ is fragile. Need some experience behind him, not another rook.

Comment

• trapezeus
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Oct 2004

torn on this. the bills d is ok. and if it had an ounce of support, they could easily win 3 more game.s Defense is more or less made to win now. They aren't good enough to be dominant but good enough to get 6 wins on their own with little support.

If ej sucks again with injuries, maybe a cassell guy is better to have. but he's going to cost a lot and frankly, i'd rather see another early qb drafted. if he unseeds ej when he's hurt and shows signs of getting it, great. if not, ej can get cut for realitively little expense and they try to find another qb.

Comment

Working...
                              X