PDA

View Full Version : Rob Moore new WR coach

Skooby
02-06-2014, 09:32 AM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Rob-Moore-named-Bills-WRs-coach/b341b9be-69ea-4c1a-89ca-5bb779bc58a9

Skooby
02-06-2014, 09:33 AM
We reached back into the college ranks for a unproven coach.

sukie
02-06-2014, 09:40 AM
Now if only there were dominating WRs to coach...

Skooby
02-06-2014, 09:41 AM
Now if only there were dominating WRs to coach...

You have to start somewhere.

sukie
02-06-2014, 09:41 AM
Yup... I agree... WR coaches don't catch the ball.

justasportsfan
02-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Question: This is your first full season of coaching. Was it everything you hoped it would be?

Answer: It was even a little bit more. I really lucked out. I work for a great head coach (Doug Marrone) who allows you to coach your guys, who challenges you to become a better coach, who gives you a chance to do a lot of different things. My group of players have bought into what I'm selling and we've continued to get better and better.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2011/02/15/20110215arizona-cardinals-rob-moore-syracuse.html#ixzz2sYhXlEjd

justasportsfan
02-06-2014, 09:48 AM

he's had NFL experience as a player and should be on the same page with Marrone and Hackett.

Albany,n.y.
02-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Here's an interesting thing about Rob Moore-if Rob Moore hadn't declared for the supplemental draft in 1990, the Jets would have drafted Brett Favre in 1991.
When the Jets drafted Moore, they forfeited their 1991 1st round draft choice. Ron Wolf, who was with the Jets at the time had Favre rated the best player in the 1991 draft. The Jets desperately tried to trade up & get Favre but couldn't get a deal done. Atlanta picked him one pick before the Jets and the Jets, looking for their QB of the future used their 1st pick on Browning Nagle, who at one point in his career ended up playing Arena Football with the Buffalo Destroyers. A year after the 1991 draft, Wolf was GM of the Packers & traded a 1st rounder to Atlanta for Favre. Green Bay won a Super Bowl with Favre & appeared in another one while the Jets haven't been to the Super Bowl since 1969.

Pinkerton Security
02-06-2014, 10:17 AM
the Jets haven't been to the Super Bowl since 1969.

you're right, this is interesting.

EDS
02-06-2014, 10:50 AM
Here's an interesting thing about Rob Moore-if Rob Moore hadn't declared for the supplemental draft in 1990, the Jets would have drafted Brett Favre in 1991.
When the Jets drafted Moore, they forfeited their 1991 1st round draft choice. Ron Wolf, who was with the Jets at the time had Favre rated the best player in the 1991 draft. The Jets desperately tried to trade up & get Favre but couldn't get a deal done. Atlanta picked him one pick before the Jets and the Jets, looking for their QB of the future used their 1st pick on Browning Nagle, who at one point in his career ended up playing Arena Football with the Buffalo Destroyers. A year after the 1991 draft, Wolf was GM of the Packers & traded a 1st rounder to Atlanta for Favre. Green Bay won a Super Bowl with Favre & appeared in another one while the Jets haven't been to the Super Bowl since 1969.

In fairness, Rob Moore was a pretty good wide receiver.

TigerJ
02-06-2014, 11:46 AM
I have no idea how good a coach Rob Moore is. There were other wide receiver coaches out there, but it's obvious Marrone went the "comfort route," picking a guy he knew and has worked with. When a head coach does that instead of picking a guy based on credentials (like say Pepper Johnson) then you can really only judge based on results. The one questiion I have is why didn't Marrone hire Rob Johnson a year ago instead of Ike Hilliard, with whom he ended up having a "philosophical" disagreement?

RedEyE
02-06-2014, 01:28 PM
This makes the Jim Hostler hiring that much more intriguing.

justasportsfan
02-06-2014, 01:47 PM
This makes the Jim Hostler hiring that much more intriguing.

I agree. Wouldn't be surprised if Moore was signed with the plan that he learns from Hostler. We have a bunch or young receivers which Hostler has had experience developing in the NFL.

kscdogbillsfan1221
02-06-2014, 01:59 PM
I have no idea how good a coach Rob Moore is. There were other wide receiver coaches out there, but it's obvious Marrone went the "comfort route," picking a guy he knew and has worked with. When a head coach does that instead of picking a guy based on credentials (like say Pepper Johnson) then you can really only judge based on results. The one questiion I have is why didn't Marrone hire Rob Johnson a year ago instead of Ike Hilliard, with whom he ended up having a "philosophical" disagreement?

Rob Johnson? am i missing something or is that a typo? please God be a typo!

Meathead
02-06-2014, 02:35 PM
not a typo, hire rob johnson for wr coach and hire billy joe hobert for wr coach

DesertFox24
02-06-2014, 03:44 PM
This is not a bad coach hiring in my opinion.

Guy is a two time pro bowler and an all pro so he has the pelts on the wall to get these to listen.

Now if Hackert Dowling and Hostler can help EJ and the offense be consistent then we have a chance at a legitmate playoff spot (top 6 seed) and especially at the new 7th seed.

SpikedLemonade
02-06-2014, 03:56 PM
I am just getting tired of these inbred Syracuse hires.

The King
02-06-2014, 04:04 PM
I don't know about coaching but Rob Moore was a way better receiver than Ike Hilliard.

Albany,n.y.
02-06-2014, 04:41 PM

Just wait until they hire Syracuse's athletic director to replace Brandon. Then the takeover will be complete.

better days
02-06-2014, 05:02 PM
I don't know about coaching but Rob Moore was a way better receiver than Ike Hilliard.

I agree. Rob Moore was a GOOD WR. Much better than Ike.

But I don't know that Rob will be as good a Coach as Ike.

He will have to prove it to me.

I like Marrone's hires on defense.

I am undecided about his hires on offense.

I HATE his special teams hire.

X-Era
02-06-2014, 06:15 PM
Great... Now the Bills are on Bell Biv Devoe's assassination list...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N6blgjF6UkU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

The King
02-06-2014, 06:17 PM
I agree. Rob Moore was a GOOD WR. Much better than Ike.

But I don't know that Rob will be as good a Coach as Ike.

He will have to prove it to me.

I like Marrone's hires on defense.

I am undecided about his hires on offense.

I HATE his special teams hire.

I didn't see any improvements on the WR side this year so I am not concerned.

Mace
02-06-2014, 07:44 PM

I was inclined to agree until I realized that if it's going to crash in flames again, it may as well get over with quicker so we can start again because I'm not getting any younger.

Moore was indeed a better receiver than Hilliard so he should have a better handle on "get open, catch the ball and run the way we were heading and don't drop it" than the apparently philosophically deficient Hilliard who was pushing a "catch it if you have to and get the hell out of bounds before anyone harms you" viewpoint.

TigerJ
02-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Rob Johnson? am i missing something or is that a typo? please God be a typo!
Yeah, typo.

To answer my own question, there are reports Buffalo (Marrone) offered Rob MOORE the receiver coach position a year ago. For whatever reason Moore declined at the time. What has changed, I don't know. I'm sure someone will ask him at some point. For what it's worth, Moore was well regarded by Syracuse supporters and they're sorry to see him go.

better days
02-07-2014, 11:39 AM
I was inclined to agree until I realized that if it's going to crash in flames again, it may as well get over with quicker so we can start again because I'm not getting any younger.

Moore was indeed a better receiver than Hilliard so he should have a better handle on "get open, catch the ball and run the way we were heading and don't drop it" than the apparently philosophically deficient Hilliard who was pushing a "catch it if you have to and get the hell out of bounds before anyone harms you" viewpoint.

Moore was a speed receiver. You can't really teach speed.

Hilliard did not have the speed Moore had. His game was all about running good routes & catching the ball when thrown to you.

That is not to say that Moore can not teach a receiver as well as Ike, but the Redskins rehired Hilliard so I think he has something to offer as a Coach as well.

It is obvious Marrone likes to surround himself with his buds by the fact he kept Crossman.

Skooby
02-07-2014, 12:24 PM

Hilliard did not have the speed Moore had. His game was all about running good routes & catching the ball when thrown to you.

That is not to say that Moore can not teach a receiver as well as Ike, but the Redskins rehired Hilliard so I think he has something to offer as a Coach as well.

It is obvious Marrone likes to surround himself with his buds by the fact he kept Crossman.

Crossman's retention is huge flag for this being the case.

Mace
02-07-2014, 04:56 PM

Don't you throw facts in my face, Mister Man. I'll not debate this on the ground defined by the truth of your argument which happens to undermine my point.

kscdogbillsfan1221
02-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Yea. If memory serves me correctly I think I remember him torching us in 94 while with the jets

better days
02-08-2014, 12:04 AM
Yea. If memory serves me correctly I think I remember him torching us in 94 while with the jets

Rob was on with Murph tonight.

Couple interesting things he said, Dick MacPherson told him his rookie year at Syracuse that he could be great, but if he didn't put in the effort, he wouldn't amount to anything.

Also, the Jets only beat the Bills twice the entire time he played for them.

Night Train
02-08-2014, 09:36 AM

This statement is beyond dumb.

Having played in the NFL for 12 years at a high level, gaining experience in college in coaching techniques and working well before with our current coach are the norm with multiple hires in the NFL. He commands instant respect with the roster as a top NFL player and is on the same page with the HC, unlike the last WR's coach.

Blanket statements suck.

The Jokeman
02-08-2014, 10:02 AM
No shock in the hiring just wonder why he didn't come over with Marrone last year.

Meathead
02-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Having played in the NFL for 12 years at a high level, gaining experience in college in coaching techniques and working well before with our current coach are the norm with multiple hires in the NFL. He commands instant respect with the roster as a top NFL player and is on the same page with the HC, unlike the last WR's coach.

possibly, but not nearly automatic

it takes different skills to teach and to do. i always thought that old saying about those who cant do teach is unfair. some of the best qb coaches to ever exist never played qb in their life. sometimes an instructor is someone who dedicates themselves to accumulating a wide array of applicable knowledge instead of going out and doing it. theres more than one way to skin a cat and if you always do it one way you will never learn and be able to teach all the others

rob moore (or sam gash in another thread) were very good players. that may or may not mean they will be good coaches

better days
02-08-2014, 11:52 AM
No shock in the hiring just wonder why he didn't come over with Marrone last year.

Murph asked him that question.

Rob said he had personal issues last year.

Whatever that means.