PDA

View Full Version : Are The Bills Going To Trade Stevie Johnson?

BillsImpossible
02-06-2014, 08:17 PM
Is the team better with him on the field in 2014, or are the Bills better off moving in a new direction?

SJ13 is not a prototypical number 1 receiver in terms of his size, but he's still the closest thing the Bills have to a #1 receiver on the roster.

He's never had a really good quarterback that can deliver the ball to him on a consistent basis.

Internally, what's really going on?

Does EJ get along with Stevie? Are they practicing together in the offseason, working out in the same gym, and hanging out as friends on occasion?

That matters, a lot.

What does the coaching staff think of Stevie Johnson's play in 2013?

52 catches out of 100 intended targets for 597 yards, 1 very costly fumble, and 3 TDs in 12 games.

Money shouldn't be an issue for the Bills, but is it wise to pay almost $9 million to Stevie Johnson next year?

Are the Bills better off spending that money on a player like J. Byrd?

The Bills can afford both.

Ultimately, I think it will boil down to a conversation between coach Marrone, Nathaniel Hackett and EJ Manuel.

If EJ3 is SJ13's homie, he's on the team in 2014.

Hope that is the case because I think EJ Manuel is going to have a very good year in 2014 and would very much like to see the Bills hang on to SJ13 to be apart of it.

But, if EJ Manuel thinks Stevie Johnson is a *****...can the Bills trade him?

What is Stevie Johnson worth in a trade?

I would trade SJ13 to any team other than the Patriots for 3rd round draft pick and nothing less.

What team's are desperate for wide receivers and would be willing to make this trade?

They could add an instant guaranteed starter on day 1 for a 3rd round draft choice.

What are the Bills going to do with Stevie Johnson?

Oaf
02-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Draft this Watkins fellow and put Stevie at #2?

Skooby
02-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Stevie is like a 2.5 being paid ~#1 money, never a good combo to keep.

Mr. Miyagi
02-06-2014, 09:43 PM
Woods will be our #1 guy. Stevie to the slot.

Meathead
02-06-2014, 10:34 PM
yep. woods is gonna be a monster next season. stevie will be an excellent compliment

ICRockets
02-06-2014, 11:17 PM
I am legitimately looking forward to Robert Woods and Marquise Goodwin next season. But I want a 3rd guy. I think Mike Evans could be our Demaryius Thomas. I think Sammy Watkins could be our Julio Jones. We have a strong pass blocking team. What we need is more weapons for EJ, and for EJ to stop being the bad version of EJ. Drafting one of those 2 elite receivers is my top priority. If we can get a pick for Stevie and grab a lineman with it, so much the better.

OpIv37
02-06-2014, 11:39 PM
This post just shows the utter delusion of Bills fans.

Look, I'm not a fan of Stevie. The guy has talent but lacks concentration and maturity and it routinely hurts the team. But we are stuck with him until we find a better option which the FO won't do because Stevie is their answer.

The delusional part is this: the original post trashes Stevie (deservedly so, IMO), but then goes on to ask about trading him. Given all his drawbacks, what possible trade value could he have, especially considering our weakness at the WR position? It doesn't make sense.

BuffaloRedleg
02-07-2014, 12:40 AM
I can't imagine anyone giving us enough for him to the point where this type of trade would possibly be worthwhile for the Bills.

The King
02-07-2014, 08:00 AM
This post just shows the utter delusion of Bills fans.

Look, I'm not a fan of Stevie. The guy has talent but lacks concentration and maturity and it routinely hurts the team. But we are stuck with him until we find a better option which the FO won't do because Stevie is their answer.

The delusional part is this: the original post trashes Stevie (deservedly so, IMO), but then goes on to ask about trading him. Given all his drawbacks, what possible trade value could he have, especially considering our weakness at the WR position? It doesn't make sense.

Right and who wants him at 9M?

With Stevie it comes down to one thing. Reps, he doesn't run clean routes and that's not his style, a QB needs to know his timing and his looks if they're going to get on the same page, with EJ and Stevie's injuries that never happened.

I'm not worried about Stevie right now, is he worth 8-9M no, but he doesn't make our team worse and he's not keeping anyone else from getting on the field, so I have no issue with it.

gr8slayer
02-07-2014, 08:16 AM
I don't think that he has as much value as some here might think. He's gone from being a guy who looks like he MIGHT have #1 WR potential, to a guy who's clearly not cut out for it, that has questionable hands at times.

better days
02-07-2014, 08:22 AM
I don't think that he has as much value as some here might think. He's gone from being a guy who looks like he MIGHT have #1 WR potential, to a guy who's clearly not cut out for it, that has questionable hands at times.

Well, I think Stevie's absence last year proved his value.

No question in my mind, a healthy Stevie last year would have meant better numbers for the QB's and probably a few more wins for the Bills.

gr8slayer
02-07-2014, 08:29 AM
On this team, he's a number one, no doubt. But that's not necessarily a ringing endorsement for the guy. We could put Lecter's skinny ass in shoulder pads, and he'd probably compete for #1 WR. That doesn't necessarily mean that he has much in the way of trade value around the league. Johnson is probably amongst the worst 2-3 #1 WR's in the league right now.

If you're a GM for another team, what kind of trade would you be offering the Bills for Stevie's services?
Well, I think Stevie's absence last year proved his value.

No question in my mind, a healthy Stevie last year would have meant better numbers for the QB's and probably a few more wins for the Bills.

The King
02-07-2014, 08:36 AM
To Johnsons credit, I do think he showed maturity this year.

trapezeus
02-07-2014, 08:39 AM
i think woods should be the #2, a #1 with size should be drafted. and stevie should be kept to teach him the ropes/compete with him.

goodwin is a kick returner in my eyes and a third down burner/depth. he's been hurt a couple times already and doesn't have the size.

if you go with woods being the inside guy and a big body receiver on the other side, then stevie can run his shelf life to next year and the bills will have a solid receiving corp.

if you don't want to do that, then keep stevie as 1 uncontested and find a high quality big body receiver in TE to replace chandler. he's the real weakness. he fumbled, he droppped passes, he took penalties. it was impressive that he got back to the field so quickly, but he wasn't the same guy he was the year prior.

gr8slayer
02-07-2014, 08:39 AM
He was probably humbled a bit with everything going on.
To Johnsons credit, I do think he showed maturity this year.

better days
02-07-2014, 08:41 AM
On this team, he's a number one, no doubt. But that's not necessarily a ringing endorsement for the guy. We could put Lecter's skinny ass in shoulder pads, and he'd probably compete for #1 WR. That doesn't necessarily mean that he has much in the way of trade value around the league. Johnson is probably amongst the worst 2-3 #1 WR's in the league right now.

If you're a GM for another team, what kind of trade would you be offering the Bills for Stevie's services?

The point is Stevie has more value to the Bills than what they could get in trade for him.

I think Woods is the #1 at this point. Stevie could be a great slot WR. And we all know how a slot WR can help a team having watched Welker on the Pats*

The King
02-07-2014, 08:58 AM
The point is Stevie has more value to the Bills than what they could get in trade for him.

I think Woods is the #1 at this point. Stevie could be a great slot WR. And we all know how a slot WR can help a team having watched Welker on the Pats*

I'm not convinced Johnson has the speed to create separation in the slot. Welker has a burst that might be unmatched in the NFL. Johnson is very crafty in beating man coverage but when facing the zone schemes of backers and safeties, he's got to be able to break away. I don't think that's a skill he has.

Bill Cody
02-07-2014, 09:04 AM
I say trade him to the Seahawks for a 4th

gr8slayer
02-07-2014, 09:06 AM
I don't doubt that he can provide some value to the Bills, but I don't know that it will be in the slot, man. His skill set is better suited for the outside, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

I say trade him to the Seahawks for a 4th

IC wut u did their.

trapezeus
02-07-2014, 10:38 AM
Stevie is a bit of a chicken egg debate. the numbers don't lie in the aggregate. guy catches a lot of balls and gets a lot of yards over the season. to trade him without anything there isn't wise.

but he has the biggest drops at the most key time. Is that worht 9MM? And QB play was so erratic this year. Thad threw more accurately than EJ but that isn't a glowing compliment of consistency. One only wonders if he had a more reliable qb in his rotation where he would be.

Additionally, the guy has played hurt many times. with the exception of his mom's passing, i think he's been on the field even with serious injuries that other WR would have sat out. and he's been productive.

i'm just for more competition before we cut or trade people. while the marshawn trade wasn't great in hindsight, we had two guys ready to go who were good. the WR corp isn't there. there isn't another guaranteed vet holding the fort. I think we should keep Stevie and hope the QB play gets better whether through EJ's improvements, or finding another qb to be on the roster.

EDS
02-07-2014, 05:38 PM
Does anyone really think it would be a good idea dumping the teams one veteran receiver and relying entirely on second year players and rookies? At worst, you keep Stevie around for another year to see if the young guys develop as the Bills have plenty of cap room to play with currently.

BillsImpossible
02-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Does anyone really think it would be a good idea dumping the teams one veteran receiver and relying entirely on second year players and rookies? At worst, you keep Stevie around for another year to see if the young guys develop as the Bills have plenty of cap room to play with currently.

That's a good point, BUT...

The NFL is on a youth kick lately. The Seahawks receivers average age is 25 years old.

Stevie Johnson turns 28 in July. How many good years does he have left in the tank?

$9 million a season for a soon to be "old," slot receiver that has a bad hammy every season? (Hamstring)

Stevie Johnson was drafted in the 7th round.

There are more receivers like him in this years draft.

The, "oldest," wide receiver on Seattle's roster was 27 years old and caught 5 balls all season.

YardRat
02-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Stevie's unique style of route-running either A-doesn't fit the timing of the offense, or B-has yet to be synced with any of the QB's we fielded last year. I'm hoping it's the latter, and with a healthy Johnson and Manuel with another season working together under their belts they can get on the same page.

BillsFever21
02-07-2014, 08:41 PM

The NFL is on a youth kick lately. The Seahawks receivers average age is 25 years old.

Stevie Johnson turns 28 in July. How many good years does he have left in the tank?

$9 million a season for a soon to be "old," slot receiver that has a bad hammy every season? (Hamstring)

The, "oldest," wide receiver on Seattle's roster was 27 years old and caught 5 balls all season.

It seems like every player is considered "old" when they turn 28 with you. First Johnson and then Byrd. If you consider 28 old then you might as well never plan on keeping a player past their rookie contracts. Most players are 26-27 years old when their rookie contract are up.

BertSquirtgum
02-07-2014, 09:53 PM

Oh my god. 28 is not old. What is wrong with you?

Skooby
02-07-2014, 10:38 PM
28 isn't relative, being unique & dropping balls is what matters.

JohnnyGold
02-08-2014, 08:09 AM
If his (perceived) value is so low to the Bills, why would they trade him? And what would they get? A seventh round draft pick?

Roster cut-downs are months away. Buffalo would be better served to cut him the night before the season starts after running him through 4 preseason games to see if he's worth keeping or not. Don't forget that he was playing with a rookie qb in EJ, then (essentially) a rookie qb in Lewis, then Tuel, then EJ, then Lewis then his mom died--and he still had a decent season statistically. To judge any of Buffalo's wideouts after last season is ridiculous. In fact, to make any conclusions about Buffalo's offense in general after last season is ridiculous.

If the Bills cut Stevie, he wouldn't clear waivers. And if he did, he would be in New England in 24 hours. People bring up the Seahawks receivers because they won the Super Bowl, fair enough. But look deeper:

Stevie would have been # 2 in catches on the seahawks and #3 in yards.
on the 9ers he would be #2 in catches #3 in yards
on the Patriots he would have been #3 in catches #3 in yards
on the Broncos he would have been... nowhere... but that was a record setting offense.

I'm not going to scale it back ANOTHER round of the playoffs to the final 8, but keep in mind, Stevie put up those numbers in only 12 games, with qbs like Tuel and Lewis throwing the ball around--not to mention EJ in his rookie year. He put up numbers that would have been good for being the number 2 or 3 receiver on teams with Kap, Wilson and Brady at QB.

So, at the end of the day, just because Stevie fumbled against Atlanta and cost us a 7-9 season, and his mom died, doesn't mean he should be cut or traded. He should work out with EJ this offseason, and I fully expect him to be Buffalo's clear cut leading receiver next year. He's a very talented young man, and it would be foolish for Buffalo to get rid of him.

Turf
02-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Stevie's an overachieving 7th round show boater. But seeing we have a ton of cap rom, and he can contribute, and we're short at WR anyway, I see no benefit in moving him.

The Jokeman
02-08-2014, 10:05 AM
Is Stevie an elite NFL WR? No. Could he start with other teams and do as well if not better? Yes. Is he the best WR we have on our current roster. Yes. Those last two questions to me are the most important ones as to why I keep him unless we can find someone better AND equally good to replace him.

The Jokeman
02-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Woods will be our #1 guy. Stevie to the slot.

and who do you pencil in as our other outside WR?

cookie G
02-08-2014, 12:33 PM
I do love the thinking of some...

SJ puts up 3 consecutive 1000 yard 75+ reception seasons...but now he sucks under the Marrone/Hackett/Manuel regime;
CJ puts up 1200 + yards, 6.0 ypc and 1700 + yards from scrimmage in part time duty, but now he sucks because he isn't a "power back".

maybe you should be looking at the brain trust that is using these guys.

BertSquirtgum
02-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Also, I think Steve Johnson sucks but releasing him is dumb and no other team is dumb enough to take on the money. Maybe the Raiders.

Skooby
02-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Also, I think Steve Johnson sucks but releasing him is dumb and no other team is dumb enough to take on the money. Maybe the Raiders.

He'd fit in perfectly there.

stuckincincy
02-08-2014, 05:47 PM
[QUOTE=BillsImpossible;3909568

52 catches out of 100 intended targets for 597 yards, 1 very costly fumble, and 3 TDs in 12 games.

I would trade SJ13 to any team other than the Patriots for 3rd round draft pick and nothing less.

[/QUOTE]

If that's true, you couldn't trade him for a stale bag of popcorn.

JCBills
02-08-2014, 05:56 PM
If he blows up again next season, say around 1,200 yds 10 TDs, I'd love to see how much hate he still gets.

stuckincincy
02-08-2014, 06:40 PM
If he blows up again next season, say around 1,200 yds 10 TDs, I'd love to see how much hate he still gets.

I'd say he would be the toast of the town.

Skooby
02-08-2014, 10:01 PM
I'd say he's a goner.