PDA

View Full Version : Jairus Byrd Is Not On The Bills Roster In 2014

BillsImpossible
02-07-2014, 07:48 PM
I'll bet every zone buck I have on it.

J. Byrd's plantar fasciitis, "injury," from last year left a rotten taste in my mouth.

He missed too many (questionable) games.

Was it a protest, or was his missed time legit?

Who cares, that's all in the past right?

When Marrone first took over last year, one of the first things he said was how he wanted to identify the players that really wanted to be here.

Does Jairus Byrd really want to play in Buffalo?

Byrd is an unrestricted free agent in 2014 and can sign wherever he wants to.

Will the Bills use the franchise tag on Byrd again?

Probably not, just a hunch.

What other teams out there would be willing to pay Byrd top money for his services?

Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder instantly came to mind.

Jairus Byrd is going to be 28 years old this October. He has 4 good years left if he's lucky.

I don't know about you guys, but investing a huge signing bonus and monster chunk of change in the J. Byrd just doesn't seem like the right thing to do with this YOUNG team.

If Byrd was turning 25 in October, this is an entirely different conversation!!!

But Byrd's not young in NFL terms. 28 years old this October playing safety in the NFL means his days are numbered, sadly, but that's life in professional football. He's got tender feet to begin with, so how is he going to hold up in 2014 playing a full season?

Notice the youth movement going on in the NFL? Seahawks were the 2nd youngest winning team in Super Bowl history.

How many juniors declared eligible for the draft? The most ever.

The 2014 draft is also very deep in safety talent.

Much younger guys like Haha Clinton-Dix, Calvin Pryor, Dion Bailey, Craig Loston, Deone Bucannon, Ed Reynolds and Jimmy Ward could spell Byrd's replacement.

Bye bye Byrdy.

YardRat
02-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Good. Give me Bailey from USC in the third.

SquishDaFish
02-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Ill take that bet. Im pretty positive he signs longterm

feldspar
02-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Byrd is just entering his prime. Dunno why you consider age an issue...Byrd will be around for a long time barring injury.

The Bills are stupid if they don't at least tag and trade him if they can't re-sign him.

He wants his money, and he'll get it, either in Buffalo or elsewhere. There isn't really much more to it than that.

BertSquirtgum
02-07-2014, 08:14 PM
I'll bet every zone buck I have on it.

J. Byrd's plantar fasciitis, "injury," from last year left a rotten taste in my mouth.

He missed too many (questionable) games.

Was it a protest, or was his missed time legit?

Who cares, that's all in the past right?

When Marrone first took over last year, one of the first things he said was how he wanted to identify the players that really wanted to be here.

Does Jairus Byrd really want to play in Buffalo?

Byrd is an unrestricted free agent in 2014 and can sign wherever he wants to.

Will the Bills use the franchise tag on Byrd again?

Probably not, just a hunch.

What other teams out there would be willing to pay Byrd top money for his services?

Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder instantly came to mind.

Jairus Byrd is going to be 28 years old this October. He has 4 good years left if he's lucky.

I don't know about you guys, but investing a huge signing bonus and monster chunk of change in the J. Byrd just doesn't seem like the right thing to do with this YOUNG team.

If Byrd was turning 25 in October, this is an entirely different conversation!!!

But Byrd's not young in NFL terms. 28 years old this October playing safety in the NFL means his days are numbered, sadly, but that's life in professional football. He's got tender feet to begin with, so how is he going to hold up in 2014 playing a full season?

Notice the youth movement going on in the NFL? Seahawks were the 2nd youngest winning team in Super Bowl history.

How many juniors declared eligible for the draft? The most ever.

The 2014 draft is also very deep in safety talent.

Much younger guys like Haha Clinton-Dix, Calvin Pryor, Dion Bailey, Craig Loston, Deone Bucannon, Ed Reynolds and Jimmy Ward could spell Byrd's replacement.

Bye bye Byrdy.

Cry me a river.

BillsImpossible
02-07-2014, 08:39 PM
Ill take that bet. Im pretty positive he signs longterm

Game on! I don't think the Bills are going to pay Byrd the kind of money some other team will fork out in free agency.

Jairus Byrd is as replaceable as Lawyer Milloy once was.

If I win the bet, you can keep all of your ZoneBux.

The only thing I want in return is a better football team.

Skooby
02-07-2014, 10:54 PM
I actually heard that Byrd is going to stay, after he gets tagged & settles on an amount that works based on his ongoing situation. Look for a huge guarantee but some just in-case money if things go bad, that way it's a 2-way street.

kscdogbillsfan1221
02-08-2014, 12:42 AM
I actually heard that Byrd is going to stay, after he gets tagged & settles on an amount that works based on his ongoing situation. Look for a huge guarantee but some just in-case money if things go bad, that way it's a 2-way street.

Is this kinda like you heard that wade Phillips was gonna be our next d coordinator?

swiper
02-08-2014, 05:21 AM
Byrd is just entering his prime. Dunno why you consider age an issue...Byrd will be around for a long time barring injury.

The Bills are stupid if they don't at least tag and trade him if they can't re-sign him.

He wants his money, and he'll get it, either in Buffalo or elsewhere. There isn't really much more to it than that.

I agree.

I think the money Levitre got was too much. It was terrible to lose him, but they shouldn't have paid that to a guard. The problem was the Bills could have done a better job filling that hole last year.

But Byrd? Pay him.

Skooby
02-08-2014, 07:08 AM
Is this kinda like you heard that wade Phillips was gonna be our next d coordinator?

Nope, different guy but I don't believe people until I see it done.

Don't Panic
02-08-2014, 07:14 AM
I agree with the logic here, but we have to get something for him. Hoping for a Peerless Price type departure where we get picks from someone desperate to lick him up.

JohnnyGold
02-08-2014, 07:54 AM
To be honest, since the start of the salary cap era, I have never had more confidence in one of our front offices than I do right now. The hirings that Buffalo made for coaching positions, on both sides of the ball, (in addition to the class that they handled the Pettine situation with) showed me that they're finally acting like a professional football organization--or better yet, just a successful business operation in general. In my opinion, Ralph Wilson is truly no longer involved in the day-to-day financial operations of this team.

Now, with that being said, all I can do is put my trust in Whaley and Marrone:

If they want Byrd and Byrd wants to be here--they'll sign him long term.
If they want Byrd and Byrd doesn't want to be here--they'll tag him and try to trade him.
If they don't want Byrd and Byrd wants to be here--they'll tag him and try to trade him.
If they don't want Byrd and Byrd doesn't want to be here--they'll tag him and trade him.

There's a small part of me though that thinks Whaley would be willing to overspend (with Brandon's blessing) just to erase the stigma associated with the Buffalo Bills around the league. It might speak volumes to that locker room, and to what Marrone is trying to build, if they lock Byrd up for slightly more than his market value, to show the young kids (Dareus, Spiller) that it's worth it to stay a Bill.

At the end of the day, we'll be better off as fans when at the end of the game players like Whitner and Peters stop coming up to our guys and saying "when are you getting out of buffalo?", and our guys start going up to players and saying "when are you coming back to buffalo?" It might not seem like much, but judging this front office on their actions and results so far, it seems to me as if that is what Brandon meant by fixing this brand. So far--that's what he's done. Why would it not continue with Byrd?

IlluminatusUIUC
02-08-2014, 09:50 AM
I've read a lot of reasons why we supposedly shouldn't, can't, or won't sign Byrd, but claiming he's too old at 27 is easily the dumbest one yet.

tatersalad
02-08-2014, 10:08 AM
i thought u couldn't trade a player that u franchise if he doesn't sign the offer (beecause he is still a FA ) am i wrong

IlluminatusUIUC
02-08-2014, 10:09 AM
i thought u couldn't trade a player that u franchise if he doesn't sign the offer (beecause he is still a FA ) am i wrong

True, but if the player agrees then they sign and get dealt. New England did it with Cassel.

DraftBoy
02-08-2014, 10:14 AM
Good. Give me Bailey from USC in the third.

Why do you want a player better suited to play LB as a replacement for a free ranging FS? I mean if this was an in the box SS idea I'd be all for it, but Bailey is a horrible replacement for Byrd based on skill set and positional need.

feldspar
02-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Wait until you see how much money the Seahawks throw at their Free Safety, Earl Thomas.

Both Earl Thomas' and Richard Sherman's rookie contracts are up after the 2014 season. Signing Thomas to a long-term extension is the Seahawks' TOP PRIORITY. He just might be the best player on the best defense in the league. And yeah, he plays the same position as Byrd. I bet Thomas sets the market for the position.

OLDSRIP
02-08-2014, 12:31 PM
[QUOTE=BillsImpossible;3909987]I'll bet every zone buck I have on it.

Two things.

The Bills won't let him walk. They have to tag him. Either for a sign trade deal or to sigh a long term deal to stay.
you don't let a asset like Byrd just walk.

Why was Byrds foot in your mouth in the first place?
of course it would leave a rotten taste. j/k

YardRat
02-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Why do you want a player better suited to play LB as a replacement for a free ranging FS? I mean if this was an in the box SS idea I'd be all for it, but Bailey is a horrible replacement for Byrd based on skill set and positional need.

He's faster than Byrd, and supposedly has real football awareness. Plus, he can lay the wood.

Faster = better than Byrd.
Smarter = better than Byrd.
Hitter = better than Byrd, and can add an 'in-the-box' dimension if the defense wants to switch up SS/FS assignments.

Maybe not the 'elite' fit to replace Byrd, but still an upgrade. I'd be OK sacrificing some hitting ability for more speed, though, also if there is a corner available that can be converted, or a true FS that can be plug-and-play.

DraftBoy
02-08-2014, 05:58 PM
He's faster than Byrd, and supposedly has real football awareness. Plus, he can lay the wood.

Faster = better than Byrd.
Smarter = better than Byrd.
Hitter = better than Byrd, and can add an 'in-the-box' dimension if the defense wants to switch up SS/FS assignments.

Maybe not the 'elite' fit to replace Byrd, but still an upgrade. I'd be OK sacrificing some hitting ability for more speed, though, also if there is a corner available that can be converted, or a true FS that can be plug-and-play.

He's maybe a better hitter, but he's not faster than Byrd and smarter is something we just can't measure.

That's an awful big risk you're willing to just take in hopes the D switches the assignments. Is that something Schwartz has done in the past? I know he had Delmas as FS in Detroit whose skill set (when healthy) was nothing like Bailey.

Now I would be fine taking Bailey to take over for Williams who I didn't think had nearly the year many seem to believe he had.

stuckincincy
02-08-2014, 06:34 PM
He's maybe a better hitter, but he's not faster than Byrd and smarter is something we just can't measure.

That's an awful big risk you're willing to just take in hopes the D switches the assignments. Is that something Schwartz has done in the past? I know he had Delmas as FS in Detroit whose skill set (when healthy) was nothing like Bailey.

Now I would be fine taking Bailey to take over for Williams who I didn't think had nearly the year many seem to believe he had.

Byrd reminds me of a center fielder that jockeys around and reliably snags the long arcing ball, but never runs towards the infield to snag a grounder. The runners advance.

YardRat
02-08-2014, 07:16 PM

If you go by the numbers, he's almost a full tenth faster than Byrd. If you go by watching the film, Byrd is pretty slow. Smarter is kind of unmeasurable, that's why I used 'supposedly' in my original post. I'm not hoping they switch assignments, just pointing out they would have that flexibility if they chose, and it's not that big of a risk because IMO at worst Bailey would be a push with Byrd in cover 1.

Williams is more than a full tenth faster than Byrd, so if it works out in a manner that Bailey moves into SS and Williams shifts to center field I'd be OK with that also. Hell, Duke Williams is faster than all of them, and I wouldn't mind seeing what he can do, but it concerns me he couldn't even get on the field last season for regular spot duty.

BertSquirtgum
02-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Jarius Byrd is fool's gold.

DraftBoy
02-09-2014, 09:35 AM
If you go by the numbers, he's almost a full tenth faster than Byrd. If you go by watching the film, Byrd is pretty slow. Smarter is kind of unmeasurable, that's why I used 'supposedly' in my original post. I'm not hoping they switch assignments, just pointing out they would have that flexibility if they chose, and it's not that big of a risk because IMO at worst Bailey would be a push with Byrd in cover 1.

Williams is more than a full tenth faster than Byrd, so if it works out in a manner that Bailey moves into SS and Williams shifts to center field I'd be OK with that also. Hell, Duke Williams is faster than all of them, and I wouldn't mind seeing what he can do, but it concerns me he couldn't even get on the field last season for regular spot duty.

Utilizing what numbers? The 4.52 estimate for Bailey on NFL Draft Scout/CBS Sports and the 4.68 that Byrd ran at his Oregon Pro Day? Byrd also had a 4.10 SS and 6.75 3 cone. His SS would of been the fastest of any at the Combine in 2009 and his 3 Cone would of been 3rd fastest. You're putting way too much emphasis on straight line speed and not enough on quickness, explosion, and change of direction.

Let's see what Bailey runs in two weeks before we just starting claiming things about him that may or may not be true.

YardRat
02-09-2014, 09:39 AM
Utilizing what numbers? The 4.52 estimate for Bailey on NFL Draft Scout/CBS Sports and the 4.68 that Byrd ran at his Oregon Pro Day? Byrd also had a 4.10 SS and 6.75 3 cone. His SS would of been the fastest of any at the Combine in 2009 and his 3 Cone would of been 3rd fastest. You're putting way too much emphasis on straight line speed and not enough on quickness, explosion, and change of direction.

Let's see what Bailey runs in two weeks before we just starting claiming things about him that may or may not be true.

Straight line speed is important for a FS in C1. If Bailey runs a slower 40 than Byrd, I'll change the pick.

DraftBoy
02-09-2014, 10:39 AM
Straight line speed is important for a FS in C1. If Bailey runs a slower 40 than Byrd, I'll change the pick.

Based on what? I won't pretend to be a Cover 1 expert but his lateral agility and ability to explode out of a backpedal seem pretty important to me since he's the CF option from sideline to sideline.

What am I missing?

YardRat
02-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Based on what? I won't pretend to be a Cover 1 expert but his lateral agility and ability to explode out of a backpedal seem pretty important to me since he's the CF option from sideline to sideline.

What am I missing?

Nothing...I never claimed agility and explosion weren't important, but straight line speed is a bigger factor for C1 FS's (for obvious reasons) than it is for C2, and Byrd doesn't have it. The last line of defense has to be able to make up ground, in a hurry, to either side of the field, against the pass AND the run, and Byrd can't do it. Look at any 'big play' run that ended up in a TD this season (especially the Atlanta game) or try and find a single instance where Byrd gave adequate deep support on a sideline pass.

He's a much better fit for a cover 2 where he only has half-field responsibility and agility/explosion become bigger factors, as opposed to cover 1 where his lack of speed actually is a liability.

stuckincincy
02-10-2014, 10:51 AM
Cover 1 is a legacy technique from the bump 'n run days, IIRC. It's 3 dbs playing man coverage with a safety roaming. When you could club a receiver forever, it worked, but with the 5 yard rule combined with 3 and 4 wr sets, and run-minded qbs who see that the dbs aren't looking at the LOS so they scoot down field, you may well get burned and/or see the sticks moved more often than not.

I like Byrd - that he's a fine opportunist is beyond doubt - but I haven't seen enough overall game from him to elevate him as worthy of top $ cash.

I think the Bills erred in the last third of the season - it was doubtful that they would get a playoff berth, so (IMO) they should have had him come up, blitz, hawk the opposing runners. Get a better feel.

Historian
02-10-2014, 11:29 AM
I thought he had a pretty decent year, considering his injury.

BertSquirtgum
02-14-2014, 06:48 PM
I thought he had a pretty decent year, considering his injury.

Vaginaissoreitis?

mikemac2001
02-14-2014, 08:45 PM
byrd wasnt the problem Healthy qbs caused the losing record....byrd plays hard every play is a solid tackler and makes ints when they come up...he might not shut down a Te but if he bobbles it byrd picks it bc he is the right spot with good awareness