PDA

View Full Version : Five Doug Whaley Type Free Agents - BillsFanatics

JCBills
02-08-2014, 02:07 PM
Here's my most recent piece for the #BillsFanatics blog.

http://billsfanatics.wordpress.com/2014/01/26/five-doug-whaley-type-free-agents/

stuckincincy
02-08-2014, 02:32 PM

http://billsfanatics.wordpress.com/2014/01/26/five-doug-whaley-type-free-agents/

Former #1 CIN pick Keith Rivers' most notable accomplishment was having his jaw broken by former cheap shot artist Hines Ward, which led to NFL rule changes about hitting high. It was a particularly ugly cheap shot. I remain surprised that Ward wasn't suspended for a year or more. But no flag fell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Rivers

His selection by CIN at #9 in 2008 was a big head scratcher here, and when NYG ponied up a 5th for him 3 seasons later, folks were glad to get that for him. You pulled for the guy - a decent young man he was - hoped he could be a factor, but in his time with CIN, he was really no more than a body to round out the 11.

JCBills
02-08-2014, 03:17 PM
With very few 4-3 type LBs on the roster, it would be a depth move. He hasn't lived up to his billing, but the point of the article was to look at guys that won't cost top dollar.

stuckincincy
02-08-2014, 03:51 PM
With very few 4-3 type LBs on the roster, it would be a depth move. He hasn't lived up to his billing, but the point of the article was to look at guys that won't cost top dollar.

I understand the appeal, I just don't think he ever had quick feet, or speed to get to the action. He might work out as depth - that was NYG's idea - but he's not a first-guy-in type. I'd offer the minimum that his league seniority calls for.

u-y in type.

Pinkerton Security
02-08-2014, 04:29 PM
Former #1 CIN pick Keith Rivers' most notable accomplishment was having his jaw broken by former cheap shot artist Hines Ward, which led to NFL rule changes about hitting high. It was a particularly ugly cheap shot. I remain surprised that Ward wasn't suspended for a year or more. But no flag fell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Rivers

His selection by CIN at #9 in 2008 was a big head scratcher here, and when NYG ponied up a 5th for him 3 seasons later, folks were glad to get that for him. You pulled for the guy - a decent young man he was - hoped he could be a factor, but in his time with CIN, he was really no more than a body to round out the 11.

A big head scratcher? He was very highly touted, and probably the best OLB prospect in that draft...maybe there were other guys that have panned out but at the time his pick was justified.

The Jokeman
02-08-2014, 04:59 PM
I can't say I disagree with anything this article said yet am not sure the chances of bringing back Rinehart toss in he's more of a RG than LG. Also I'm not completely sold on Riley Cooper, while he offers up the size we lack he was buried deep on the Eagles depth chart and only got a chance last year because of injury. So not sure if he's numbers are inflated because of lack of competition or actual skill level.

stuckincincy
02-08-2014, 05:15 PM
A big head scratcher? He was very highly touted, and probably the best OLB prospect in that draft...maybe there were other guys that have panned out but at the time his pick was justified.

They could have drafted Leodis McKelvin... :date:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2008&round=round1#round1

JCBills
02-08-2014, 05:48 PM
I can't say I disagree with anything this article said yet am not sure the chances of bringing back Rinehart toss in he's more of a RG than LG. Also I'm not completely sold on Riley Cooper, while he offers up the size we lack he was buried deep on the Eagles depth chart and only got a chance last year because of injury. So not sure if he's numbers are inflated because of lack of competition or actual skill level.

He did primarily play RG, but it isn't as big of a difference between LT and RT. I think he would be an upgrade over Legursky either way, and wouldn't cost that much.

I would really like to see them go after Asamoah or Beadles, who should have higher price tags, but could be a long term fix at LG.

Also I'd appreciate it if you guys would rate the article on the page, there's a little start meter near the top.

stuckincincy
02-08-2014, 06:03 PM
He did primarily play RG, but it isn't as big of a difference between LT and RT. I think he would be an upgrade over Legursky either way, and wouldn't cost that much.

I would really like to see them go after Asamoah or Beadles, who should have higher price tags, but could be a long term fix at LG.

Also I'd appreciate it if you guys would rate the article on the page, there's a little start meter near the top.

JCBills
02-08-2014, 07:18 PM
You didn't say anything..?

tampabay25690
02-09-2014, 06:36 AM

Yea but when the opportunity Cooper delivered correct???

swiper
02-09-2014, 08:04 AM
I'll wait and see what Ramses Barden brings in camp.

swiper
02-09-2014, 08:10 AM
I'm willing to bet the Bills aren't signing any of those players.

The Jokeman
02-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Yea but when the opportunity Cooper delivered correct???

Sometimes, as there were games he got over 6 targets and he comes away with 2 or 3 catches. His game against the Raiders was great by contrast he was marginal against the Redskins so I just wonder. I'm hesitant though I would rather go after a guy like Cooper who will cost less than say an Eric Decker.

JCBills
02-09-2014, 12:49 PM
I'll wait and see what Ramses Barden brings in camp.

Probably not much, I'm actually more excited to see Kauffman again.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm willing to bet the Bills aren't signing any of those players.

I'm not saying they will, but these are the types they will probably target.

more cowbell
02-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Every player listed here sucks. End of story. If this is their idea of improving on a 6-10 year? (It wouldn't surprise me) but god help us.

JCBills
02-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Every player listed here sucks. End of story. If this is their idea of improving on a 6-10 year? (It wouldn't surprise me) but god help us.

Sucks? Really?

Winning teams tend to rely on the draft to look for impact guys and use FA to fill the holes. The FO made a lot of moves that seem to be paying off, and these type of middle-upper level FAs can help a lot. Nobody has pro bowlers at every position. Did you actually read it or just look at the names?

Pinkerton Security
02-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Sucks? Really?

Winning teams tend to rely on the draft to look for impact guys and use FA to fill the holes. The FO made a lot of moves that seem to be paying off, and these type of middle-upper level FAs can help a lot. Nobody has pro bowlers at every position. Did you actually read it or just look at the names?

WRONG WRONG WRONG! We need to sign only Mike Wallace-types to big contracts to win consisten....oh wait....

Mace
02-10-2014, 06:47 PM

It's not a bad list, every one of them would help not hurt, serviceable midrange gap pluggers with about as much potential upside to negate the limits to their games to date, imho. I had a problem at first considering "Whaley's philosophy" because I wasn't sure what it was, still am not yet, but can see how they fit in to what it well might be. It was a good read and enjoyed considering their possibilities to add anything.

more cowbell
02-11-2014, 10:22 PM
Yes. Sucks. Keith Rivers is not a starting LB and has been a major bust...CIN traded him for peanuts, and he's done nothing in NY.

Cason - Another 1st rd bust who SD (who has MISERABLE corners) willing let walk...much like AZ will let him do this offseason. Pass.

Cooper - I'll retract my "sucks" statement. While I don't see him being a major upgrade at WR, he has the size the Bills need and I would be intrigued if he was signed...

Rinehart - MEH. He was a decent backup while here...was OK in San Diego...but is hardly an upgrade over Doug Legursky...this team needs to find an immediate starter at LG...not a journeyman backup.

Pettigrew - Another bust. Until this past season, he has been the 2nd best receiving option for the Lions and has performed average at best. He has good size, however is a below average blocker and route runner...also drops a ton of passes and isn't as fast as you'd think. He's also about to be 30 years old. Replacing Chandler with Pettigrew is not an upgrade.

I think a realistic target would be Zane Beadles (LG, DEN) He is still young, has been a pro bowler, and is excellent in the screen game (something the Bills lost with Levitre). Denver most likely won't have the $ to resign him, and I really can't see Beadles getting an obnoxious contract.