PDA

View Full Version : Miller is ready to move on, so let him

DetDannyWilliams
02-09-2014, 04:42 PM
There have been impressive, comprehensive studies done in regards to goaltenders and their careers. They’ve come to a similar conclusion: Age 34 is when goalies begin to fall off dramatically.
How old will Miller be when the puck drops next season? He’ll be 34.
Two studies, in particular, clearly define the rapid decline:
• Pension Plan Puppets, a site affiliated with SB Nation and dedicated to the Toronto Maple Leafs, studied the save percentage of 200 goaltenders who have played 60-plus games since 1984. It shows how a goalie who put up a .912 save percentage at age 30 (Miller was .916) drops to .905 at age 34, .899 at age 35 and .892 by age 37.
• Copper and Blue, another SB Nation site serving the Edmonton Oilers’ community, focused on whether goalies are starters, backups or out of the league as they age. Age 34 is when the majority become backups. At age 35, there are more retired goalies than backups or starters.
Does it make sense for a rebuilding team to offer multiple years and big dollars to someone who might not have much left?
There are, of course, goalies who seem ageless. Martin Brodeur, Dominik Hasek and Patrick Roy put up stellar seasons in their mid-30s.
But is Miller in their class? Or does he belong with stellar netminders such as Eddie Belfour, Tom Barrasso, Mike Richter, Miikka Kiprusoff, Olaf Kolzig and Grant Fuhr? I’d go with the latter. While they could stop breakaways in their prime, they couldn’t beat the odds that face aging goaltenders.

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/john-vogl/miller-is-ready-to-move-on-so-let-him-20140209

YardRat
02-09-2014, 05:00 PM
He was ready to move on when he married the model from the left coast. Should have moved him then.

SpikedLemonade
02-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Take the 2nd round pick and run.

Downinfloflo
02-09-2014, 05:53 PM
What makes Sabres fans think Steve Ott is worth a 1st round draft pick?

The guy has had one season with over 40 points in a year in the last 13 years.

And he averages around 14 goals a season.

I don't get it??

DetDannyWilliams
02-09-2014, 06:24 PM

I don't get it??

Ott could be a good rental for some playoff team! look at Regehr last season, Sabres traded him to the Kings for their second round pick(s) in this years draft and next years. Also Murray knows almost every GM in the NHL.

OpIv37
02-09-2014, 07:40 PM

I don't get it??
Well we got a first for Paul Gaustad. I like Goose but that was too high a price.

Is Ott worth it? No, but that doesn't mean some desperate team won't be duped into paying it.

Downinfloflo
02-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Ott could be a good rental for some playoff team! look at Regehr last season, Sabres traded him to the Kings for their second round pick(s) in this years draft and next years. Also Murray knows almost every GM in the NHL.

Regehr is a tough defense men, They have more value then a winger who's main job is to be a loud mouth..LOL

And all GM's know each other, Only 30 of them.

Downinfloflo
02-09-2014, 07:52 PM
Well we got a first for Paul Gaustad. I like Goose but that was too high a price.

Is Ott worth it? No, but that doesn't mean some desperate team won't be duped into paying it.

You ain't kidding.

Rangers could clean house with Callahan and Girardi.

Meathead
02-09-2014, 08:38 PM
ott is a pretty good instigator though and that could be valuable to a team that needs some of that in an otherwise solid lineup

didnt realize the stats on over 34 goalies were so stark. miller appears to have prepared himself to be one of the exceptions but you never know. i still hope they find a way to keep him but im leaning a little more toward a trade after reading that

btw, this article is supposted to be contrasted against another one making the case for him to stay so the next person not as lazy as me should link to it

Meathead
02-09-2014, 08:41 PM
dang there it is lol

JATMtheJATM
02-09-2014, 09:05 PM

I don't get it??

paul gaustad. and kyle quincey.

- - - Updated - - -

You ain't kidding.

Rangers could clean house with Callahan and Girardi.

theres no doubt. the rangers could get some sexy pieces in return for those players.

OpIv37
02-10-2014, 07:39 AM
ott is a pretty good instigator though and that could be valuable to a team that needs some of that in an otherwise solid lineup

didnt realize the stats on over 34 goalies were so stark. miller appears to have prepared himself to be one of the exceptions but you never know. i still hope they find a way to keep him but im leaning a little more toward a trade after reading that

btw, this article is supposted to be contrasted against another one making the case for him to stay so the next person not as lazy as me should link to it

One other thing about Miller's age: Lindy worked him hard for at least 4 years due to a lack of confidence in his back ups, and one of those was his previous Olympic season. I can't imagine being pushed that hard for so much time is going to help his longevity.

Downinfloflo
02-24-2014, 10:14 PM
I am hearing that it is not likely that Ryan Miller will be traded by the Deadline and Sabres are turning attention towards re signing him.

The school of thought on Miller @BuffaloSabres (https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres) is that a deal in the Lundqvist range now would allow team to trade him in a better market.

The goalie market is thin. @StLouisBlues (https://twitter.com/StLouisBlues) r the only serious possibility for Miller trade and everyone knows it driving value down.

https://twitter.com/brianlawton9

Murray not getting the offers he was hoping for?

JATMtheJATM
02-24-2014, 10:20 PM
espn said today the sabres are focusing their attention to trading him.

Downinfloflo
02-24-2014, 11:59 PM
espn said today the sabres are focusing their attention to trading him.

You listen to ESPN when it comes to hockey?

Lawton was the managing director at Octagon, a sports agency, from 1998-2007. He co-founded the agency with Mike Liut - who is now the current managing director of the agency and happens to be Miller's representative.

http://www.octagonhockey.com/Default.aspx/OctagonHockey

JATMtheJATM
02-25-2014, 12:24 AM
You listen to ESPN when it comes to hockey?

http://www.octagonhockey.com/Default.aspx/OctagonHockey

when they quote murray, yeah.

JATMtheJATM
02-25-2014, 12:42 AM
edit: sorry, not murray quotes. quotes about murray.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10512909/buffalo-sabres-continue-shop-goalie-ryan-miller

so, millers as good as gone.

swiper
02-25-2014, 04:50 AM

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10512909/buffalo-sabres-continue-shop-goalie-ryan-miller

Sounds like he's gone. Too bad when this was his best season in Buffalo.

OpIv37
02-25-2014, 07:40 AM
On a rebuilding team like the Sabres, trading him for younger talent makes the most sense for both parties.

However, I know good goaltending is hard to find and can make up for a lot of mistakes on a young team, so I could live with re-signing him.

What absolutely CANNOT happen is letting him walk for nothing. This team lacks talent on an epic level. We either need Miller on the ice or we need compensation for losing him. Letting Briere and Drury walk set this team back at least 5 years and it can't happen again.

OpIv37
02-25-2014, 07:43 AM
Also I don't get the Tallinder thing. Why bring him back for 6 months just to move him at the deadline?

Don't get me wrong- he's past his prime and it's no huge loss on a rebuilding team. I just don't get why they brought him back if they knew they weren't going to keep him. We could have managed a measly 15 wins without him.

Dr. Lecter
02-25-2014, 07:47 AM
Also I don't get the Tallinder thing. Why bring him back for 6 months just to move him at the deadline?

Don't get me wrong- he's past his prime and it's no huge loss on a rebuilding team. I just don't get why they brought him back if they knew they weren't going to keep him. We could have managed a measly 15 wins without him.

Why not?

They gave up an ECHL player to get him. If they can now turn him into a 3rd round pick (or higher), then they got the use of veteran player for a partial season and can turn Riley Boychuck, who is not good enough for the AHL, into a pick that could turn into an NHL player,even if it is just a depth guy.

OpIv37
02-25-2014, 08:21 AM
Why not?

They gave up an ECHL player to get him. If they can now turn him into a 3rd round pick (or higher), then they got the use of veteran player for a partial season and can turn Riley Boychuck, who is not good enough for the AHL, into a pick that could turn into an NHL player,even if it is just a depth guy.

As long as it didn't come at the expense of developmental ice time for a young defender during a wasted season...

Dr. Lecter
02-25-2014, 08:33 AM
With guys like McBain, Sulzer and Weber able to be benched/scratched, having Tallinder here won't do that if they want the young guys to play here

JATMtheJATM
02-25-2014, 09:35 AM

tallinder was brought back for one reason; get myers going again. and while at first it didnt work, myers has certainly found his game. still a long ways to go, but the jump in his play was a huge sigh of relief to the sabres front office. now, he needs to keep it going without tallinder. its sink or swim time for tyler. and hes swimming. for now.

SpikedLemonade
02-25-2014, 10:54 AM
The boys from Hockey Central at Noon on SportsNet are saying there is no market for Ryan Miller right now. They are saying the Sabres need to resign him now otherwise watch him walk for no return.

Downinfloflo
02-25-2014, 11:21 AM

Did you read the article you linked??

From the link you posted.

The person said the team's first option is trading Miller, who is in the final year of his contract and eligible to become an unrestricted free agent. Option No. 2, the person added, would be making a bid to re-sign Miller if a trade can't be completed.

OpIv37
02-25-2014, 11:30 AM
Miller's not what he was 4 years ago but he's still easily a top 10 goaltender in the league.

And dealing the team's recent failures, he has two conf finals runs under his belt so he knows the playoffs.

I can't imagine that no one out there wants a goalie like that on the eve of the playoffs.

Downinfloflo
02-25-2014, 11:44 AM
Miller's not what he was 4 years ago but he's still easily a top 10 goaltender in the league.

And dealing the team's recent failures, he has two conf finals runs under his belt so he knows the playoffs.

I can't imagine that no one out there wants a goalie like that on the eve of the playoffs.

The teams that are in the playoff picture are happy with their goalies..(you don't get there with out it)Plus Millers a UFA who's going to want $7m a year.

The team that trades for him has to keep that in mind and may not be willing to trade away any of their current contracts that could offset the cost.

He's a goalie, They don't get moved at the deadline as rentals like forwards do.

And Murray's price may be to high.

OpIv37
02-25-2014, 11:50 AM
One other thing:

The person said the team's first option is trading Miller, who is in the final year of his contract and eligible to become an unrestricted free agent. Option No. 2, the person added, would be making a bid to re-sign Miller if a trade can't be completed.

Option 2 isn't really an option. It's more like a gamble. If Miller decides he doesn't want to languish here for the rest of his career, or that he wants to be closer to his wife, or if some other team offers him more money, he's gone. The supposed "option" may or may not actually be on the table for the team.

Downinfloflo
02-25-2014, 11:59 AM
One other thing:

Option 2 isn't really an option. It's more like a gamble. If Miller decides he doesn't want to languish here for the rest of his career, or that he wants to be closer to his wife, or if some other team offers him more money, he's gone. The supposed "option" may or may not actually be on the table for the team.

So it sounds like you take what you can get and just move on..Teams may have offered 2014 draft picks for Miller but since they say this draft is pretty much poop.

Murray may be trying for 2015 picks and teams are not willing to go that route..The other GM's are aware that Murray is not dealing from a position of strength.

Anyone have any idea what the teams are that Miller will not agree to get traded to?

And who do you think is a viable option for Miller at this current time?

Skooby
02-25-2014, 12:01 PM
So it sounds like you take what you can get and just move on..Teams may have offered 2014 draft picks for Miller but since they say this draft is pretty much poop.

Murray may be trying for 2015 picks and teams are not willing to go that route..The other GM's are aware that Murray is not dealing from a position of strength.

Anyone have any idea what the teams are that Miller will not agree to get traded to?

And who do you think is a viable option for Miller at this current time?

The Islanders need a good goalie.

Downinfloflo
02-25-2014, 12:07 PM
The Islanders need a good goalie.

Are they on Millers no trade list?

Would he resign with them?

They can certainly afford to pay him and he would make them a playoff contender.

OpIv37
02-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Islanders have nothing of value because we took it all in the Vanek trade.

Downinfloflo
02-25-2014, 12:28 PM
Islanders have nothing of value because we took it all in the Vanek trade.

You might want to do some homework. :mehmeh:

Ginger Vitis
02-25-2014, 05:49 PM
Islanders have nothing of value

Ryan Strome and Griffin Reinhart.. Not that it matters not a chance the Isles are giving them up for Miller

JATMtheJATM
02-25-2014, 06:09 PM
Yeah, that's been common knowledge forever that if they can't trade him, they'll try to resign him. But moving him is first priority

DetDannyWilliams
02-25-2014, 06:10 PM
Buffalo Sabres ‏<s style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(177, 187, 195); ">@</s>BuffaloSabres (https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres)<small class="time" style="font-size: 13px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); "> 17m (https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/438462797140467712)</small>
<s style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(102, 121, 144); ">#</s>Sabres (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Sabres&src=hash) GM Tim Murray updating the media, says other teams have expressed interest in several Sabres. Full interview to come.

tampabay25690
02-25-2014, 10:24 PM
He was ready to move on when he married the model from the left coast. Should have moved him then.

No he wasn't.
His head has always been in Buffalo.
But u can believe what u read or hear is fine!

tampabay25690
02-25-2014, 10:25 PM
Why not?

The brought him back to help Myers again!

tampabay25690
02-25-2014, 10:27 PM
I do know as of tonite Sabres are busy...
Don't be surprised to see Ryan moved in the next few days!!
Look for a Few players in return and a pick!!!!

I have a feeling I will not see Ryan next week here in Tampa!!
Ryan is ready for whatever happens, I do know he can't wait till the deadline is over so he can finish the season!

FYI Sabres want a lot for Miller..

DetDannyWilliams
02-25-2014, 10:44 PM
On insider trading Dreger and Bob McKenzie mentioned that there are rumors going around of a possible 3 way trade between us, the Blues, and the Wild for Miller. They mentioned that we would want Jake Allen from the Blues, and that Halak may be involved as well.

JATMtheJATM
02-26-2014, 06:01 AM
i heard the same thing last night on NHL network

doug45
02-26-2014, 07:04 PM
We need Miller and we need Ott. Draft picks are not as important as in the NFL ! I wish one time a player would say if you trade me I retire, money has ruined most sports because the agents get thier cut where ever the player has to go. Almost everytime we have sent a player awa, what we have gotten in return has been a bust!!!!!!

OpIv37
02-27-2014, 09:33 AM
Why exactly do we need Miller and Ott?

Miller will be 34 next season. He will be in his late 30s by the time this team is ready to make a run, so we need to be thinking about goaltending post-Miller anyway. Plus, there is no guarantee we can re-sign him, so if we don't sign him, we risk losing our best asset for nothing. Trading him is the most logical move.

As far as Ott, he's Goose with slightly better hockey skills. I like him but he's not irreplaceable. I do think he will be easy to re-sign if he doesn't get trades. His salary is manageable and he wants to be here.

I'd love to see them trade Ott to someone, then re-sign him when he becomes a FA in the off-season. We'd get compensation and all we'd lose is Ott's services for two meaningless months.

coastal
02-27-2014, 09:51 AM

Miller will be 34 next season. He will be in his late 30s by the time this team is ready to make a run, so we need to be thinking about goaltending post-Miller anyway. Plus, there is no guarantee we can re-sign him, so if we don't sign him, we risk losing our best asset for nothing. Trading him is the most logical move.

As far as Ott, he's Goose with slightly better hockey skills. I like him but he's not irreplaceable. I do think he will be easy to re-sign if he doesn't get trades. His salary is manageable and he wants to be here.

I'd love to see them trade Ott to someone, then re-sign him when he becomes a FA in the off-season. We'd get compensation and all we'd lose is Ott's services for two meaningless months.
Same with Moulson

WagonCircler
02-27-2014, 09:51 AM

I really think that's the plan. That would be awesome.

He may be a slightly better Goose in the hockey skills department, but he's head and shoulders above him in the leading by example/intensity department. Ott is the definition of a high-motor guy. He was made for Ted Nolan, and apparently Murray feels the same way.

JATMtheJATM
02-27-2014, 10:01 AM
i would love to get ott back after trading for a late first or a prospect. that would be a really nice turn of events.

Downinfloflo
02-27-2014, 12:44 PM
If the Rangers don't sign Cally, Buffalo is going to offer him $7m a year if he hits free agency.

coastal
02-27-2014, 01:38 PM
Would be a smart signing for them.

Downinfloflo
02-27-2014, 01:53 PM
Would be a smart signing for them.

No team looking to compete could afford to sign a guy with Cally's talent level to a contract for $7 mill a year, He has cracked the 50 point mark once in his 8 year career.

He's 28 years old and his style of play is going to shorten his career..He has had shoulder problems the last few years, Those hits take it's toll on his small frame.

He's a lot of fun to watch and is a real heart and soul player.

But he lost his mind thinking a 45 point a year guy is worth $7 mill a year, But kudos to him if it happens.

coastal
02-27-2014, 02:07 PM
No team looking to compete could afford to sign a guy with Cally's talent level to a contract for $7 mill a year, He has cracked the 50 point mark once in his 8 year career.

He's 28 years old and his style of play is going to shorten his career..He has had shoulder problems the last few years, Those hits take it's toll on his small frame.

He's a lot of fun to watch and is a real heart and soul player.

But he lost his mind thinking a 45 point a year guy is worth $7 mill a year, But kudos to him if it happens.
Agreed but the Sabres are in a position to overpay. Not just that... heart and soul vets like him and Ott are the kind of guys you want around during a "rebuild".

Downinfloflo
02-27-2014, 02:34 PM
Agreed but the Sabres are in a position to overpay. Not just that... heart and soul vets like him and Ott are the kind of guys you want around during a "rebuild".

Yes..They can, The Islander and Panthers will also throw their hat into the ring for Cally..Problem is, He want's $7 mill per for 7 years, That could tie a team up down the line big time.

If Cally goes, The Rangers will offer Ott a contract in the offseason, And Ott will be Millions of dollars cheaper and play the wing on the 3rd line.

The rumors around the Rangers this year are pretty crazy, This team could change dramatically on March 5th.Here is a few of the rumblings that the talking heads are blabbing about.

I'll only post the major players since you never know what picks or prospects could be part of the package.

Ryan Callahan and Marty St Louis (TBL) or Chris Stewart (STL).

Dan Girardi and Sami Vatanen (ANA)

Derek Stepan and Ryan Kesler (VAN)

Should be a interesting week in the NHL, There is a lot of big time players that could be on the move through out the league.

WagonCircler
02-27-2014, 03:17 PM

Exactly. Mike Peca types.

With Nolan getting extended, and hearing Murray heap praise on Ott, Callahan seems like their type of guy.

coastal
02-27-2014, 03:19 PM
Exactly. Mike Peca types.

With Nolan getting extended, and hearing Murray heap praise on Ott, Callahan seems like their type of guy.
Say hello to Sam Bennett.

coastal
02-27-2014, 03:20 PM
Yes..They can, The Islander and Panthers will also throw their hat into the ring for Cally..Problem is, He want's $7 mill per for 7 years, That could tie a team up down the line big time.

If Cally goes, The Rangers will offer Ott a contract in the offseason, And Ott will be Millions of dollars cheaper and play the wing on the 3rd line.

The rumors around the Rangers this year are pretty crazy, This team could change dramatically on March 5th.Here is a few of the rumblings that the talking heads are blabbing about.

I'll only post the major players since you never know what picks or prospects could be part of the package.

Ryan Callahan and Marty St Louis (TBL) or Chris Stewart (STL).

Dan Girardi and Sami Vatanen (ANA)

Derek Stepan and Ryan Kesler (VAN)

Should be a interesting week in the NHL, There is a lot of big time players that could be on the move through out the league.
Yeah... should be an interesting week to be sure.

and totally agree the Rangers are headed for an overhaul... not a rebuild.

doug45
02-28-2014, 06:23 PM

Because they are very good players and leaders and as usual we got nothing for them !!

Dr. Lecter
03-01-2014, 06:53 AM
Because they are very good players and leaders and as usual we got nothing for them !!

Nothing????

1st round pick in the deep 2015 draft
Another pick that ranges from a 3rd in 2016 (min) to a 1st in 2014(max)
A prospect in Carrier
Halak, who could finish the year here or could be moved for more assests
Stewart who could play here this year and next year or could be moved for more assets.

That is hardly nothing

Meathead
03-01-2014, 09:50 AM
i am surprisingly sad today when i think about this team without miller. hes probably my favorite sabre of all time, which really is saying something, but i figured its just sports and id get over it quick bc i dont idolize sports celebs like most ppl. but every time i realize hes gone i get a little sad and regretful and wish he was still here. so im acting a little bit like a teenage girl, sue me

doug45
03-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Nothing????

1st round pick in the deep 2015 draft
Another pick that ranges from a 3rd in 2016 (min) to a 1st in 2014(max)
A prospect in Carrier
Halak, who could finish the year here or could be moved for more assests
Stewart who could play here this year and next year or could be moved for more assets.

That is hardly nothing

If you trade your best players you should get the same or better in return.

Draft Picks....Most do not pan out.
Stewart...No one has wanted him for 2 years why would they now.
Halak...second stringer at best only has looked good because of the D in front of him.
That is why I say we got nothing !

Downinfloflo
03-01-2014, 12:53 PM

Halak...second stringer at best only has looked good because of the D in front of him.

WOW!!!, It's refreshing to see someone who realizes that.

Stamkos was drafted 1st overall in 2008, No other 1st rounder drafted that year, Has 60 goals in their career.

doug45
03-01-2014, 01:08 PM
WOW!!!, It's refreshing to see someone who realizes that.

Stamkos was drafted 1st overall in 2008, No other 1st rounder drafted that year, Has 60 goals in their career.

1 in 10,000

Downinfloflo
03-01-2014, 01:55 PM
1 in 10,000

A quick look back at the last 10 years of players Drafted in the 2nd round of the NHL draft...53 players out of 270 have played over 100 NHL games.

And it gets much worse from the 3rd round on...

There are 9 players from the 2004 draft that were taken in the 2nd round, that have over 100 NHL games played.

There are 10 players from the 2005 draft that were taken in the 2nd round, that have over 100 NHL games played.

There are 12 players from the 2006 draft that were taken in the 2nd round, that have over 100 NHL games played.That is less than 50%.

There are 6 players from the 2007 draft that were taken in the 2nd round, that have over 100 NHL games played.

There are 6 players from the 2008 draft that were taken in the 2nd round, that have over 100 NHL games played.

There are 2 players from the 2009 draft that were taken in the 2nd round, that have over 100 NHL games played.

There is 1 player from the 2010 draft that was taken in the 2nd round, that has over 100 NHL games played.

There are 7 players from the 2011 draft that were taken in the 2nd round, that have over 100 NHL games played.

There are NO players from the 2012 draft that were taken in the 2nd round, that have over 100 NHL games played.In fact only 1 player has even seen the NHL and he has 4 games played.

Meathead
03-01-2014, 06:37 PM
yeah but the guys at the very top of the draft, like literally first or second, are usually the only place you get the elite game changers, and thats what it appears the sabres are going for

so they pick first this year, suck next year but probably not as bad, and package some picks (if they have to) to move up next season to get another chance at another game changer. you usually cant and shouldnt trade all your picks so in the meantime they also get to add a handful of other first and second rounders to increase the chances they fall into another gem or strong compliment player(s)

Downinfloflo
03-01-2014, 06:59 PM
yeah but the guys at the very top of the draft, like literally first or second, are usually the only place you get the elite game changers, and thats what it appears the sabres are going for

so they pick first this year, suck next year but probably not as bad, and package some picks (if they have to) to move up next season to get another chance at another game changer. you usually cant and shouldnt trade all your picks so in the meantime they also get to add a handful of other first and second rounders to increase the chances they fall into another gem or strong compliment player(s)

Go back and look at the draft history, The odds are against you.

Check out the 2007 draft.

Check out the 2008 draft.

Check out the 2009 draft.

Check out the 2010 draft.

Sure you can find a hero, But most turn out to be average or below.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/

JATMtheJATM
03-02-2014, 01:18 AM
A quick look back at the last 10 years of players Drafted in the 2nd round of the NHL draft...53 players out of 270 have played over 100 NHL games.

And it gets much worse from the 3rd round on...

There are 9 players from the 2004 draft that were taken in the 2nd round, that have over 100 NHL games played.

There are 10 players from the 2005 draft that were taken in the 2nd round, that have over 100 NHL games played.

There are 12 players from the 2006 draft that were taken in the 2nd round, that have over 100 NHL games played.That is less than 50%.

There are 6 players from the 2007 draft that were taken in the 2nd round, that have over 100 NHL games played.

There are 6 players from the 2008 draft that were taken in the 2nd round, that have over 100 NHL games played.

There are 2 players from the 2009 draft that were taken in the 2nd round, that have over 100 NHL games played.

There is 1 player from the 2010 draft that was taken in the 2nd round, that has over 100 NHL games played.

There are 7 players from the 2011 draft that were taken in the 2nd round, that have over 100 NHL games played.

There are NO players from the 2012 draft that were taken in the 2nd round, that have over 100 NHL games played.In fact only 1 player has even seen the NHL and he has 4 games played.

is this supposed to be a surprise? most of those guys are still in juniors and too young for the AHL still.

JATMtheJATM
03-02-2014, 01:20 AM

this is a rather ignorant take. they got a first rounder, possibly another first rounder, a starting goalie who can be flipped, and a scoring winger. and a project prospect who is a long shot, but has size and skill.

sabres got plenty.

Skooby
03-02-2014, 03:29 AM
I think the Sabres did great, Miller was a walking after this season & we would've got no value at all.

tampabay25690
03-02-2014, 08:00 AM
I think the Sabres did great, Miller was a walking after this season & we would've got no value at all.

Funny thing is..
Half the organization was on same page...
Most wanted him back and signed!!
I'm not getting into details but there is so much more behind the debacle yesterday and Friday nite!!!

coastal
03-02-2014, 08:06 AM
Funny thing is..
Half the organization was on same page...
Most wanted him back and signed!!
I'm not getting into details but there is so much more behind the debacle yesterday and Friday nite!!!
Dude your insider knowledge meme is annoying.

great you people and know stuff.

big ****ing whoop.

heres hoping you're connected to the half that just left the building.

tampabay25690
03-02-2014, 08:19 AM
Dude your insider knowledge meme is annoying.

great you people and know stuff.

big ****ing whoop.

heres hoping you're connected to the half that just left the building.

No prob.
I will stay out of this part of zone and not post.
It's hard when u read stuff and not comment but I will do so!
Didnt to want to come off annoying but I guess it is..
Like I said its hard when u know so much more and can't really speak ur mind!!

coastal
03-02-2014, 08:42 AM
No need to pull a Patty on us.

its just irritating to see you saying over and over again that your "in the know" only to not really share anything.

why don't you just out the nonsense by sharing what you know.

afterall, we are the consumers of the product and IMO have a right to know exactly what is going on.

tampabay25690
03-02-2014, 09:18 AM
No need to pull a Patty on us.

its just irritating to see you saying over and over again that your "in the know" only to not really share anything.

why don't you just out the nonsense by sharing what you know.

afterall, we are the consumers of the product and IMO have a right to know exactly what is going on.

No patty here.
Listen if I could I would say more....
Lot of BS going on started Friday and never ended....
I will know much more Tuesday since sabres are in Tampa for 3 days...

Meathead
03-02-2014, 09:19 AM
how many things could it have been? weve already heard patty wanted miller to stay. or maybe it was the final authority thing. or maybe patty called pegulas daughter a *****. or maybe patty came out that hes gay. or maybe patty is really an extraterrestrial

what horrific kind of information could you possibly have that would require so much secrecy? its only one of a few things that could have gone wrong and spilling the beans, if you had them, wouldnt be such a big deal

Dude
03-02-2014, 10:01 AM
No patty here.
I will know much more Tuesday since sabres are in Tampa for 3 days...you can share without naming sources. Happens all the time. It's better to do that then to say you know more but can't say anything.

coastal
03-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Just spill what u know dude... What's going to happen?

The organization is going to melt down...

WagonCircler
03-02-2014, 10:23 AM
No other 1st rounder drafted that year, Has 60 goals in their career.

Gilbert Perreault was drafted first overall. Never had 60 goals, but I think that worked out pretty well.

Dr. Lecter
03-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Gilbert Perreault was drafted first overall. Never had 60 goals, but I think that worked out pretty well.

In his career?

WagonCircler
03-02-2014, 11:02 AM
In his career?

I thought he meant in a season. I thought 60 was an odd choice for a benchmark.

Doesn't change my point in the least, though.

Perreault never even made it to 50, but he was still the greatest Sabre ever.

Ginger Vitis
03-02-2014, 12:15 PM
No patty here.
I will know much more Tuesday since sabres are in Tampa for 3 days...

When you said Miller could not wait until the deadline to come and be over that wasn't exactly earth shattering most of us could assume that.. Skooby is wrong most of he time but at least he divulges specific and detailed info that his so called Bills sources tell him

Downinfloflo
03-02-2014, 02:03 PM
is this supposed to be a surprise? most of those guys are still in juniors and too young for the AHL still.

And the other 140?? LMFAO!!

tampabay25690
03-02-2014, 03:48 PM
When you said Miller could not wait until the deadline to come and be over that wasn't exactly earth shattering most of us could assume that.. Skooby is wrong most of he time but at least he divulges specific and detailed info that his so called Bills sources tell him

He thought he was staying..

Skooby
03-02-2014, 06:43 PM

I try, thanks. Tampa knows more about the Sabres than most & if he's holding back, it's probably a messy situation. You don't want to break news that's too bad because it'll get people grief. I know I'd feel guilty & actually just left all kinds of stuff alone because it's too specific & would assuredly get back to them. Some things aren't meant for public consumption, especially if it's embarrassing. Anyways, give us the goods when you feel comfortable Tampa, we'd like to know.

JATMtheJATM
03-02-2014, 10:08 PM
And the other 140?? LMFAO!!

uh, what?

Downinfloflo
03-02-2014, 10:16 PM
uh, what?

You really think the 2nd rounders are not in the NHL because their in the minors? LOL..........

JATMtheJATM
03-02-2014, 10:21 PM
You really think the 2nd rounders are not in the NHL because their in the minors? LOL..........

uh, i was talking about the 2012 draft class. draft picks take time to develop.

Downinfloflo
03-02-2014, 10:29 PM
uh, i was talking about the 2012 draft class. draft picks take time to develop.

I know you were, That's why my original response was what about all the other drafts, Hence the 140 comment.

You chose to ignore them (The other draft classes) because it makes you feel uncomfortable, You stated many times you want to "Jizz in your pants" and you will avoid anything that will make you uncomfortable, It's a defense mechanism you have.

That's why your eye took you directly to the 2012 draft..It brings you comfort.

JATMtheJATM
03-02-2014, 10:34 PM
I know you were, That's why my original response was what about all the other drafts, Hence the 140 comment.

You chose to ignore them (The other draft classes) because it makes you feel uncomfortable, You stated many times you want to "Jizz in your pants" and you will avoid anything that will make you uncomfortable, It's a defense mechanism you have.

That's why your eye took you directly to the 2012 draft..It brings you comfort.

or because its downright stupid to include it.

if picks miss, they miss. its stupid to assume they will however.

i dont get you. whats your obsession with playing the debby downer role to a bunch of fans of a team you dont even care about? why do you care so much what sabre fans think about their teams future?

Downinfloflo
03-03-2014, 12:09 AM
or because its downright stupid to include it.

if picks miss, they miss. its stupid to assume they will however.

i dont get you. whats your obsession with playing the debby downer role to a bunch of fans of a team you dont even care about? why do you care so much what sabre fans think about their teams future?

See there you go again, The defense mechanism kicking in.

The numbers prove most will miss, I'm not the debbie downer, The numbers don't lie, They just make you "FEEL" bad.

You love the draft, I get it, You are in love with the unknown you mentioned it before when you were asked if you would move any of the Sabres picks.

For young established talent..And your answer was "NO I like the unknown"

You like to think it's easy for the Sabres to draft their way out of this hole, I mean, The Hawks and Penguins did it..

But again, You refuse to see how long it took them to do so.

Example, Black Hawks.They won the cup in 2010 and 2013.

2002: Drafted: Duncan Keith (Round 2) 1st Rounder they drafted was a dud.

2003: Drafted: Seabrook (Round 1) and Crawford (Round 2) their other 2nd rounder was a dud!

2004: Drafted: Cam Barker,???(3rd overall) Only 1 other player made it to the NHL for a few games from this draft. (THIS WHOLE DRAFT WIFFED!!)

2005: Drafted: Jack Skille, (7th overall) 190 NHL games played..Thier other draft picks never made the NHL.

2006: Drafted: Toews, No other player they drafted that year ever played in the NHL.

2007: Drafted: Kane, 1st overall (Won the lotto ty Bettman) NO other player from this draft made the NHL.

2008: Drafted Kyle Beach, 11th overall, He is now in the AHL playing with the Wolfpack..No NHL games played.

2009: Drafted Dylan Olson, 1st round, Never heard of him.No other player from this draft has played in the NHL.

2010: Drafted Kevin Hayes?? Not a single player from this draft has played in the NHL.

So the Hawks spent 8 years drafting before they got their cup. And 5 of those 8 years they only got 1 freaking player!!!

And only 4 of them, Are guys that stand out...The rest of the team came from trades and free agency.

And the Penguins are the same, Took them the same amount of time.

And I post here because I love hockey and I watch the NHL, Not just my team.

JATMtheJATM
03-03-2014, 12:14 AM
i refuse to see how long it took them to do it?

only 1 team can win the cup a year. the penguins and hawks were competitive before they won a cup.

Downinfloflo
03-03-2014, 01:25 AM
i refuse to see how long it took them to do it?

only 1 team can win the cup a year. the penguins and hawks were competitive before they won a cup.

From 1996-1997 through 2007-2008 the Hawks made the playoffs 1 time and got bounced in the 1st round.

From 2001-2002 through 2005-2006 the Penguins missed the playoffs and got knocked out in the 1st round in 2006-2007.

Penguins had 4 strait years of no playoffs.

The Hawks missed the playoff 9 times in 11 years before they won.

If that's what you call competitive then you're right.

You think the Sabres will follow the Hawks and Penguins, And not the Oilers, Islanders, Or Panthers.

Either way you slice it, You are most likely looking at a 5-6 year rebuild, Not counting this year.

Unless Buffalo can sign key free agents (They have a hard time with that), Or trade some young assets or picks like the Hawks and Pens did.

swiper
03-03-2014, 05:11 AM
They did get Ehrhoff and Regher. They still suffer from one huge problem: the lack of a true #1 center. They have suffered from this since Drury and Briere left.

Skooby
03-03-2014, 05:42 AM
They did get Ehrhoff and Regher. They still suffer from one huge problem: the lack of a true #1 center. They have suffered from this since Drury and Briere left.

They suffered because of Darcy & the mess he left.

WagonCircler
03-03-2014, 08:28 AM

It's because he's a troll who obviously has no actual life or purpose.

ticatfan
03-03-2014, 08:39 AM
Well it is a win- win situation for both teams.

JATMtheJATM
03-03-2014, 10:16 AM
From 1996-1997 through 2007-2008 the Hawks made the playoffs 1 time and got bounced in the 1st round.

From 2001-2002 through 2005-2006 the Penguins missed the playoffs and got knocked out in the 1st round in 2006-2007.

Penguins had 4 strait years of no playoffs.

The Hawks missed the playoff 9 times in 11 years before they won.

If that's what you call competitive then you're right.

You think the Sabres will follow the Hawks and Penguins, And not the Oilers, Islanders, Or Panthers.

Either way you slice it, You are most likely looking at a 5-6 year rebuild, Not counting this year.

Unless Buffalo can sign key free agents (They have a hard time with that), Or trade some young assets or picks like the Hawks and Pens did.

if im looking at a 5 or 6 year rebuild, then so be it. i dont think i am, but if i am, i am. there is nothing i can do about it. which brings me back to my previous point. why do you care so much how i look at the rebuild? of course i think theyll take after the teams who have had positive rebuilds. jesus, im a fan of the team. theres no reason not to believe theyll do well, untill it happens.

also, when you bring up the hawks, you also fail to bring up their inept ownership group, only televising away games, among other discretions.

as for the pens, if missing 4 years of the playoffs is a bad thing, and the sabres have already missed 2... im fine with that time frame.

swiper
03-03-2014, 10:59 AM
They suffered because of Darcy & the mess he left.

That has nothing to do with what he or I said. The fact is, veterans can be had. Yes, the Sabres might have to try harder or pay more, but most will come.

chernobylwraiths
03-03-2014, 11:09 AM
He thought he was staying..

I wonder if he ever had a contract offer.

tampabay25690
03-03-2014, 11:35 AM
I wonder if he ever had a contract offer.

Let u know tomorrow.
Great ??

JATMtheJATM
03-03-2014, 11:40 AM
That has nothing to do with what he or I said. The fact is, veterans can be had. Yes, the Sabres might have to try harder or pay more, but most will come.

i think this is a great point. free agents will come, if buffalo shows a willingness to spend to win, and create a winning environment.

the current stage of the rebuild is through the draft. once they get more prospects drafted, you will see the sabres start to spend more and trade for more.

that said, i would love if the sabres went after callahan. yes, theyll have to overspend. but it would be a huge piece of the puzzle.

Downinfloflo
03-03-2014, 12:32 PM
i think this is a great point. free agents will come, if buffalo shows a willingness to spend to win, and create a winning environment.

the current stage of the rebuild is through the draft. once they get more prospects drafted, you will see the sabres start to spend more and trade for more.

that said, i would love if the sabres went after callahan. yes, theyll have to overspend. but it would be a huge piece of the puzzle.

I would too, But it looks like he's staying in NY, He just lowered his contract demands.

chernobylwraiths
03-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Let u know tomorrow.
Great ??

Good for me. Wondered if they made a framework for a contract. Miller did look out of it in the interview.

Downinfloflo
03-03-2014, 01:20 PM
also, when you bring up the hawks, you also fail to bring up their inept ownership group,

Really????

JATMtheJATM
03-03-2014, 01:23 PM
Really????

oh, dont get me wrong. im not happy with pegula. money can only do so much. i think murray was the first good choice hes made.

Downinfloflo
03-03-2014, 01:29 PM
oh, dont get me wrong. im not happy with pegula. money can only do so much. i think murray was the first good choice hes made.

Money can't do anything but get you to the Salary Cap..

Murray was Pats choice, Pegula has no clue when it comes to hockey.

He's not the only clueless Rich guy who owns a team. Dolan is in the same boat.

tampabay25690
03-03-2014, 01:42 PM
I try, thanks. Tampa knows more about the Sabres than most & if he's holding back, it's probably a messy situation. You don't want to break news that's too bad because it'll get people grief. I know I'd feel guilty & actually just left all kinds of stuff alone because it's too specific & would assuredly get back to them. Some things aren't meant for public consumption, especially if it's embarrassing. Anyways, give us the goods when you feel comfortable Tampa, we'd like to know.

Thank u!!!
Very hard to bite my tongue right now....
I will be around them the next few days. I'm sure know one knows the Sabres will be in Tampa after tonites game till Thurs nite.... So it will be a very interesting but weird few days to say the least...
I have been very busy too so I haven't really been asking from my person with sabres... Trust me he is busier then 50 of us combined the last week... Friday he got so many texts and voicemails his phone was full in 10 minutes...
So I'm trying not to pry at all...

tampabay25690
03-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Good for me. Wondered if they made a framework for a contract. Miller did look out of it in the interview.

Bingo!!
Last I knew that was wed that he was probably sticking around!!!
That changed real fast...
I thought I was seeing him Tomorrow but I'm not....
I did just get his olympic USA jersey for my boy... I'm getting tomorrow signed to my son....
He signed it to him last week Wed I believe..

Y do u think the huge disconnect in front office....

JATMtheJATM
03-03-2014, 01:47 PM

see? flo, we can talk puck without quelling my optimism for the teams future. thats my only beef with you. let me enjoy my cloud 9.

i hoped pegula would be like cuban (without the mouth)

hes not.

WagonCircler
03-03-2014, 03:01 PM
A guy who called WGR just now, who claimed to have sources with two NHL teams (as always, who knows?) had what seems to me to be the most plausible explanation for all of this.

He said that Patty LaLa and Teddy wanted a two year rebuild that included Miller and Ott in the fold. Murray, and apparently Pegula, realized that a total tear-down is necessary, and that this would take longer than two years, despite all the money the Sabres have for free agency. They prefer to build via the draft and add FAs later.

This coincides nicely with my feelings on the potential tanking for McDavid next year, which would seem certain to have been part of the conversation.

The caller's explanation is the first story I've heard that has the ring of truth to it.

chernobylwraiths
03-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Bingo!!
Last I knew that was wed that he was probably sticking around!!!
That changed real fast...
I thought I was seeing him Tomorrow but I'm not....
I did just get his olympic USA jersey for my boy... I'm getting tomorrow signed to my son....
He signed it to him last week Wed I believe..

Y do u think the huge disconnect in front office....

Nice.

Disconnect? I have no idea. Maybe Sawyer, is he still around? Lot of Pittsburgh connections right now with Black and Sawyer and now Patrick. To be honest, I think maybe Pat wanted to go in a certain direction and when it didn't go in that direction, he quit. I mean it happened before with the Islanders where the owner didn't do what he wanted to do and left. I like LaFontaine alot, but I don't give him a pass just because. They built the office to be a 'by committee" office and if the committee that he helped put together went against his wishes, then he should just live with that.

I wanted to keep Miller too, but he would be on the wrong side of 35 at the earliest this team would be able to seriously contend. I wouldn't mind seeing them make a run for him in free agency. I just hoped they talked to him first, but the way he reacted when he left, that doesn't seem to be the case.

coastal
03-03-2014, 03:51 PM
A guy who called WGR just now, who claimed to have sources with two NHL teams (as always, who knows?) had what seems to me to be the most plausible explanation for all of this.

He said that Patty LaLa and Teddy wanted a two year rebuild that included Miller and Ott in the fold. Murray, and apparently Pegula, realized that a total tear-down is necessary, and that this would take longer than two years, despite all the money the Sabres have for free agency. They prefer to build via the draft and add FAs later.

This coincides nicely with my feelings on the potential tanking for McDavid next year, which would seem certain to have been part of the conversation.

The caller's explanation is the first story I've heard that has the ring of truth to it.
Ownership (Pegula) and mgmt (Murray) on the same page.

All about what is the best way to rebuild the on-ice product!

Buffalo sports has seen a lot worse than that.

patty didn't apparently share that vision so it's best that he's moved on.

Murray's in the game now and a job that suits his reported strengths.

i think he will work his ass off.

WagonCircler
03-03-2014, 04:29 PM
The other thing about this story is that it explains Ted Nolan's apparent reluctance to sign a 3-year deal. It has to be a tough enough gig, going out and either tanking or just getting beat because you're team is a group of boys playing against men every night.

But then, just when all your hard work and patience is about ready to pay off, you have to negotiate a new contract after you've finished dead last for 3 years.

swiper
03-03-2014, 04:42 PM

I'm not a basketball fan. But got to listen to Michael Kaye lay into Dolan and the Knick's GM (Mills ?) on the way home today. They have ruined the basketball team and are not talking to the media. They are leaving it all to the coach to explain. Dolan is a tool.

swiper
03-03-2014, 04:51 PM
Ownership (Pegula) and mgmt (Murray) on the same page.

All about what is the best way to rebuild the on-ice product!

Buffalo sports has seen a lot worse than that.

patty didn't apparently share that vision so it's best that he's moved on.

Murray's in the game now and a job that suits his reported strengths.

i think he will work his ass off.

So LaFontaine disagreed. But leaving is tantamount to one big temper tantrum on his part. So bye-bye Pat. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. It might cause another concussion.

- - - Updated - - -

The other thing about this story is that it explains Ted Nolan's apparent reluctance to sign a 3-year deal. It has to be a tough enough gig, going out and either tanking or just getting beat because you're team is a group of boys playing against men every night.

But then, just when all your hard work and patience is about ready to pay off, you have to negotiate a new contract after you've finished dead last for 3 years.

Makes too much sense.

Yasgur's Farm
03-03-2014, 05:36 PM

But then, just when all your hard work and patience is about ready to pay off, you have to negotiate a new contract after you've finished dead last for 3 years.IDK about that theory... I feel like it's more a matter of timing... LaLa's departure needs to die off a bit.

He'll sign in a couple days because it's his (only) ticket back into the NHL.

Downinfloflo
03-03-2014, 06:01 PM
A lot more to this story, And I don't think anyone will ever know for a long time, Patty signed a non disclosure agreement as part of his settlement with the Sabres.

That alone tells you some **** went down..Matt Barnaby was on the radio today talking about what he has heard, Any one catch it?

WagonCircler
03-03-2014, 06:56 PM
IDK about that theory... I feel like it's more a matter of timing... LaLa's departure needs to die off a bit.

He'll sign in a couple days because it's his (only) ticket back into the NHL.

I agree with most of that, but the offer was made quite a few days ago, initially. He must have had some misgivings then, or he'd have just signed. But I think the drama was bubbling for a lot longer than any of us know.

coastal
03-03-2014, 07:18 PM
A lot more to this story, And I don't think anyone will ever know for a long time, Patty signed a non disclosure agreement as part of his settlement with the Sabres.

That alone tells you some **** went down..Matt Barnaby was on the radio today talking about what he has heard, Any one catch it?
Non-disclosures are standard at that level of corporate organizations.

Barnaby thinks he's in the know but is just attaching himself to the drama angle of this.

From what I've seen this boils down to philosophical differences.

The owner and GM in one corner and the Pres of Ops and coach in the other.

It's a drama created by Pegula and it's now resolved.

The rest is just talking head fodder and inconsequential.

its Murray's show now.

coastal
03-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Milbury is in the middle of roasting Lafontaine and Nolan.

wow.

basically said both of them shouldn't let the door hit them in the ass on the way out.

this is not your father's Sabres!

good!

Downinfloflo
03-03-2014, 07:42 PM
All I know is, Ryan Callahan lowered his contract demands after the Sabres front office debacle, Coincidence?? LOL

Thursdays @8 Only On Bravo!!

chernobylwraiths
03-04-2014, 05:37 AM
Milbury is in the middle of roasting Lafontaine and Nolan.

wow.

basically said both of them shouldn't let the door hit them in the ass on the way out.

this is not your father's Sabres!

good!

Oh no! Not the great Milbury roasting someone!? They will never recover.

Milbury is and has always been a scumbag. He might even be right about some of it, but as a coach and GM, he sucked and wouldn't (and probably didn't) pay attention to anything he said. I love the line about as the coach, you just do what your told and tow the line. Yeah, coaches just love that.

coastal
03-04-2014, 05:44 AM
He was right about everything he sad last night.

tampabay25690
03-04-2014, 06:53 AM
This should be a very interesting today and tomorrow!
Rumors flying of guys leaving!!
They are in Tampa as of very late in the nite. Here till Thurs nite after game here in a Tampa!

Dude
03-04-2014, 07:29 AM
Who? Give us names and teams.

chernobylwraiths
03-04-2014, 07:55 AM
He was right about everything he sad last night.

you know about as much as anybody, which is nothing.

He said that a coach should tow the line and shut the hell up. He should do as he's told. That is a line of crap and I would think most coaches would agree.

coastal
03-04-2014, 09:21 AM
you know about as much as anybody, which is nothing.

He said that a coach should tow the line and shut the hell up. He should do as he's told. That is a line of crap and I would think most coaches would agree.bull****.

and obviously a lesson Nolan still hasn't learned.

theres a reason he hasn't coached in the league for years.

plus... he backed the wrong stallion and is now the odd man out.

chernobylwraiths
03-04-2014, 10:00 AM
bull****.

and obviously a lesson Nolan still hasn't learned.

theres a reason he hasn't coached in the league for years.

plus... he backed the wrong stallion and is now the odd man out.

If you believe have the **** out of Milbury's mouth, you're more stupid than he is. And that is saying something.

coastal
03-04-2014, 10:31 AM
If you believe have the **** out of Milbury's mouth, you're more stupid than he is. And that is saying something.
This isn't believing what's coming out of his mouth.

this is common sense.

the GM and owner r on same page.

the pres of ops and coach weren't.

the pres of ops is gone.

do the math.

chernobylwraiths
03-04-2014, 10:53 AM
This isn't believing what's coming out of his mouth.

this is common sense.

the GM and owner r on same page.

the pres of ops and coach weren't.

the pres of ops is gone.

do the math.

Oh, I believe some of it. I hate to say it but I believe that Lafontaine might have been a bit of a baby about it and quit (which kind of goes with what Milbury said). But regarding the coach, I disagree with much of what he said, especially regarding "do what you're told". No self respecting coach would put up with that.

I'm NOT sure about where the owner is on this. I don't believe for a second that Pegula is making strongarm decisions regarding personel.

I think if they wanted to retain Miller and he wanted to stay, a deal would have already been done. As much as I like and admire Miller and like Ott, you CAN'T just let the deadline pass with a handshake deal of "I will come back". Burned once, shame on me, burned twice ...

I just don't want to give that ahole one once of credit on anything. Even though I admit he "might" have some truth in there, the way he puts out his arguement is juvenille and mean spirited, especially towards Nolan. Even Jones disagreed with him on that.

coastal
03-04-2014, 11:04 AM
Fair enough. I realize there's not a lot of love for Milbury... but he was dead on.

as far as Nolan... he's either on board with the organization or he's not. If he's not he's going to be gone one way or the other.

chernobylwraiths
03-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Fair enough. I realize there's not a lot of love for Milbury... but he was dead on.

as far as Nolan... he's either on board with the organization or he's not. If he's not he's going to be gone one way or the other.

yeah, I hope he does realize that this is probably his last kick at the can. If he passes up this offer, he will never get another one IMO. And I think he is at least a decent coach. He gets his players to play for the most part. Even Stafford plays with more spirit, though I wish he's score more.

- - - Updated - - -

Man, I am misspelling words all over the place. Ounce of credit ...

swiper
03-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Non-disclosures are standard at that level of corporate organizations.

I think I've signed 3 or 4 of them myself recently. No big deal.

coastal
03-04-2014, 12:18 PM
I think I've signed 3 or 4 of them myself recently. No big deal.
Me too

Meathead
03-04-2014, 12:25 PM
A guy who called WGR just now said that Patty LaLa and Teddy wanted a two year rebuild that included Miller and Ott in the fold. Murray, and apparently Pegula, realized that a total tear-down is necessary, and that this would take longer than two years, despite all the money the Sabres have for free agency. They prefer to build via the draft and add FAs later.

isnt this what some of us have been saying since the split?

if thats the case then for patty to have any credibility to quit he must have been told he gets final authority or something, which frankly would be weird considering he has no exp as a hockey exec and said so himself is why he turned down the gm job originally discussed. if he WAS told that then it was clearly a mistake by pegula, probably some comment made off the cuff without realizing the turmoil it could cause when they still were looking for a GM

but even so, you would think patty would realize that the authority simply had to go to murray since player evaluation and team construction is priority 1 in the GM job description. you dont have what is essentially a made up special adviser position making final calls on the makeup of the team, in that case the GM would essentially be a glorified scout and would be about the dumbest way to build a mgmt structure

i was hoping they would do that 'fast turnaround' kinda thing myself and keep at least miller to build around. but you hire your GM to make that call and murray made it. pegula has to let murray do his job and patty should have realized he was not qualified to do that and deferred to the expert in this case

so to honestly sum it up, patty just looks like a big baby here

Meathead
03-04-2014, 12:32 PM
and btw, of course nolan is going to want to keep miller and ott bc they help him win now

if this indeed is the long build it looks like and the sabres are going to suck by design simply bc they have so many assets developing at the same time, how is teddys w/l record going to look during his next contract negotiations? are murray and black going to say 'well weve missed the playoffs by wide margins the last three years, but youre doing a heckof a job and we want you to stay? maybe but i wouldnt be comfortable with that either if i were him

it doesnt look like teddy has any choice if he wants to coach in the nhl and just should accept the job, keep his head down, and hope he can impress even on a bottom dwelling team

fwiw, i completely agree that the coach really shouldnt be involved in player decisions other than in an advisory role. the coaches job is to coach, the GMs job is to build the team. certainly you should listen closely to the coaches but if it comes down to a difference in opinion the coaches just have to shut up and coach. their job is to do everything they can to make the GMs choices look good no matter what. anything short of that and you will fairly earn the label as a GM killer

swiper
03-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Well now I can rest easier knowing that meathead agrees that the coach shouldn't be involved in player decisions. I just feel so much better having his approval.

WagonCircler
03-04-2014, 01:28 PM
isnt this what some of us have been saying since the split?

I don't know. I rarely read anything that you post.

Downinfloflo
03-04-2014, 02:09 PM
Farg....You fans sound as divided as the Sabres front office. :jj:

Downinfloflo
03-04-2014, 02:21 PM
This should be a very interesting today and tomorrow!
Rumors flying of guys leaving!!
They are in Tampa as of very late in the nite. Here till Thurs nite after game here in a Tampa!

****, Or get off the pot..

tampabay25690
03-04-2014, 05:57 PM
****, Or get off the pot..

****... Luv it

Downinfloflo
03-04-2014, 06:05 PM
****... Luv it

Let's hear the dirt, You been leading it on.

tampabay25690
03-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Let's hear the dirt, You been leading it on.

Dont have enough room to type...
The players are even betting who will be on ice for the game on Thursday!
Anything can go between today and the deadline...
All trades are coming out of buffalo where the top people are, they r heading to Tampa Thurs..
So everything will be delayed coming in...

coastal
03-04-2014, 06:38 PM
Translation... I don't know anything.

tampabay25690
03-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Translation... I don't know anything.

Ha ha...
What do I really want me to type????
What that the team is a mess right now??

Honestly what do u want to know??

Downinfloflo
03-04-2014, 06:57 PM
Ha ha...

I wanted to hear the info you said you had on the front office debacle.

Ginger Vitis
03-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Ha ha...

The name/names of Sabres players and where Tim Murray is trading them too

tampabay25690
03-04-2014, 07:05 PM
I wanted to hear the info you said you had on the front office debacle.

Lot of chiefs..
Pat thought he would get final say on everything just below.... TP...
Murray is running show that I know for 200%
They said TM knows his **** and they have a ton of confidence in him...

U have to remember TM has not 1 tie to any of these guys in the locker room...
Wouldn't be surprised to see 1-3 guys moved by tomorrow afternoon...
Some guys packed more then 1 bag ....
Moulson getting most play but a guy that value a ton right now!!!!!

U will not here much from PLa.....in buyout won't talk about it and can't....
His family was still in NYC and that played a factor....

Sorry all over the place wit this.....
RM trade was very very hard for the organization....

Ott coming back to BLo after season very much in play!!!!

From talks today sounds like #10 probably getting dealt....
It's hard did a lot of catching up with some today and didn't want to pry that much!!!!

Locker room is very down with all the talks...... They r real people too..... They just have no clue and can't wait till tomorrow deadline is over...
I think a big party will be thrown tomorrow nite...... Seriously too.. C

tampabay25690
03-04-2014, 07:08 PM
The name/names of Sabres players and where Tim Murray is trading them too

Big dogs r still in buffalo....
All trades are being done there..
Will trickle to the staff and people in Tampa..

Honestly anything can happen right now with a few of the guys...
FYI don't think a stewart is very happy to be a Sabre right now!!!!! That's what I got from him today.... A pissed off fella

Downinfloflo
03-04-2014, 07:15 PM
So, Myers, Moulson, Erhoff and Stewart are all gone...

tampabay25690
03-04-2014, 07:18 PM
So, Myers, Moulson, Erhoff and Stewart are all gone...

I don't think Myers to be honest!!!
Stewart prob and the other 2 only for the right deal....
They will not just give away...
Moulson getting most play

gebobs
03-05-2014, 08:14 AM
Miller wins his second

tampabay25690
03-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Hearing a lot about Stafford this am....
Asking price for Moulson, and Ehroff is very steep and sabres are in no hurry to get rid of them...
Tallinder might be a name mentioned since his asking price will be much less..
Anything can happen today...

denverboz
03-08-2014, 06:30 PM
Watched the Blues beat me the Avs 2-1 on the road here this afternoon. Great game Miller looked awesome, as did Varlomov. Broadcaster noted how Miller was only facing 21 shots a game with St.Louis (albeit only a few games played) while with the Sabres he was facing 35 shots on average. Paul Stastny hurt early did not return. He's a big piece of the puzzle for the Avs.

Skooby
03-08-2014, 11:41 PM
You're free Ryan, win the big one for your family.