• Show
Clear All
  • swiper
    • Sep 2010

Free Agent QBs are "Slim Pickings"

Pickings are slim at veteran quarterback, as usual

Posted by Mike Florio on February 9, 2014, 2:40 PM EST
    AP
    The Seahawks’ total-team dominance notwithstanding, the NFL still consists of franchises that have franchise quarterbacks — and franchises that are looking for franchise quarterbacks.

As a result, true franchise quarterbacks never become available in free agency, barring serious injury questions, like Drew Brees in 2006 and Peyton Manning in 2012.

The quarterbacks who become available in any given year rarely become franchise quarterbacks; few become starters. Still, every year, quarterbacks are available, via free agency or trade.

Here’s a look at the guys who will most likely be available in 2014, and where they could land.

Michael Vick: He’s confident he’ll be a starter, and for good reason. If there’s a coach who believes Mark Sanchez would be the starter of said coach’s team from Day One, there will be a spot for Vick, somewhere. In Cleveland, Jacksonville, Houston, Tennessee, Oakland, Minnesota, and Tampa Bay, Vick would be the starter immediately. With the Jets, Bills, and Bengals, Vick could give the current starter a run for his starter’s money. While Vick is far closer to the end of his career than the beginning, he may have one solid year left.

Josh McCown: A late-career surge in 2013 could make him an attractive option for a team looking for a veteran backup — or for a team that wants someone to mentor a younger player. In the right situation, he also could be a full-season starter. Regardless, McCown won offensive player of the week honors in 2013. None of the other guys on this list can say that.

Matt Cassel: Cassel didn’t walk away from $3.7 million in Minnesota because he thinks he’ll get less elsewhere. He’ll make more as the short-term starter in Houston (where he would be reunited with former Pats assistant Bill O’Brien) or as the full-season answer in Oakland. At worst, Cassel will make slightly more as the veteran backup to an established starter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16773[/ATTACH] Destined to be cut by the Jets with a $9 million salary for 2014, Sanchez could be an intriguing option for a team that needs a quarterback and that has the supporting cast he never really enjoyed in New York. Not many first-round busts have had strong second acts, but Sanchez could still develop into a decent starter, in the right situation.

Josh Freeman: After being run out of Tampa and languishing on the bench in Minnesota, Freeman has become a forgotten man. At best, he’ll get a chance to prove that he can and will work as hard as a quarterback needs to work in the today’s quarterback-driven NFL. If he fails, it could be over for Freeman.

Matt Schaub: With former Texans offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan in Cleveland, some think Schaub will land there if/when he’s cut by the Texans. With a $10 million salary, it’s likely more “when” than “if” Schaub gets the heave-ho in Houston. At best, he’ll keep a spot warm somewhere for a rookie, providing protection against the possibility that the newcomer won’t be ready — and a little in-house competition to help get him there.

Kirk Cousins: Former co

The Seahawks' total-team dominance notwithstanding, the NFL still consists of franchises that have franchise quarterbacks -- and franchises that are looking for franchise quarterbacks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by swiper; 02-09-2014, 07:33 PM.
  • feldspar
    • Mar 2007

Re: Free Agent QBs are "Slim Pickings"

If Michael Vick ever started for my team, I'd probably tune out.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Pass. I will take another arm from the draft somewhere in rounds 3-5, though.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

I'll take a flyer on Freeman.
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• kishoph
          • Jun 2003

The article say that McCown would be a good choice for a back up and a mentor to a young QB, which I think is what the Bills and EJ need, but after how he played last season, I don't think McCown is going to be looking to fill the roll of a backup and I can see some team trying him out as their starter, depending on how the draft goes.

Comment

• Uncle Jesse
            • Sep 2004

Matt Cassel is good enough to start somewhere. Oakland, Cleveland, or somewhere like that.

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

What NFL Coach or team would sign Sanchez & hand him the starters job?

What NFL Coach or team would sign Vick & hand him the starters job?

If either of those two are looking for a potential starting job & the money that goes with it, they will be sitting at home a long time.

Comment

• TigerJ
                • Jul 2002

Depends on the QB's asking price. I'd consider several on the list if the Bills really wanted to go in that direction. Cassel, Sanchez, McCown, Freeman and Schaub. I'm not willing to pay and arm and a leg though. I think it's more likely that Buffalo stands pat with what they've got, adding a camp arm only.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on the QB's asking price. I'd consider several on the list if the Bills really wanted to go in that direction. Cassel, Sanchez, McCown, Freeman and Schaub. I'm not willing to pay and arm and a leg though. I think it's more likely that Buffalo stands pat with what they've got, adding a camp arm only.
                I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                  Skoobasaurus-Rex
                  • Oct 2011

I used to like Vick but he'd end up on IR with EJ eventually, so we're going nowhere there.

Comment

• Uncle Jesse
                    • Sep 2004

Schaub would be a nice backup for us. Even Cassel, but I doubt he wants to be a backup.

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
                      Schaub would be a nice backup for us. Even Cassel, but I doubt he wants to be a backup.
                      Nobody want to be a back up. Everyone wants to start.

But both Schaub & Cassel have had their chance to start & failed.

They have both proven to be nothing better than a back up.

Comment

• jimmifli
                        • Nov 2006

All of them would probably win an open competition in camp. But none are really going to improve. EJ better.

Comment

• The Popcorn
                          Cincinatti > Buffalo
                          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                          I'll take a flyer on Freeman.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't know happened in Tampa Bay or Minnesota but i think he's talented enough to be a starter. Let EJ know the Bills aren't fooling around too.
                          The Popcorn and Terrell Owens are coming to a town near you.

Comment

• Swiper
                            • Sep 2010

Josh McCown: A late-career surge in 2013 could make him an attractive option for a team looking for a veteran backup — or for a team that wants someone to mentor a younger player. In the right situation, he also could be a full-season starter. Regardless, McCown won offensive player of the week honors in 2013. None of the other guys on this list can say that.
                            Just saying.

Comment

Working...
                            X