PDA

View Full Version : Bills Biggest Need

Pinkerton Security
02-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Nothing groundbreaking but I'd agree - interesting to see some advanced metrics show that we had the 4th best defense in the NFL.

Buffalo Bills: Offensive tackle
For a team coming off its ninth consecutive losing season, the Bills actually have a decent roster in place with no glaring holes. Key acquisitions on defense in the past few years have solidified that unit, which ranked No. 4 in DVOA at Football Outsiders. This leaves Buffalo in the familiar position of trying to replace Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly. Florida State's EJ Manuel was a first-round pick last year, but injuries really took away from his opportunity to impress in his initial campaign. Adding talent around the quarterback should be the top priority this offseason, but that does not have to be a big-name receiver. In the past two years, the Bills have drafted Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin and T.J. Graham in the first three rounds. With young receivers and a very good running back duo (C.J. Spiller and Fred Jackson), the Bills would be better served to improve the trenches.

Coach Doug Marrone has specialized in the offensive line during his career, so he should have a good grasp on what went wrong in his rookie year on the Bills' sideline. No one ran the ball more in 2013 than Buffalo, with 546 runs, but the offense ranked only 14th in yards per carry (4.2) and 17th in DVOA. Run blocking was not a strength of the offensive line, especially to the outside, and right tackle Erik Pears in particular could be the player replaced in the draft by a top prospect like Greg Robinson (Auburn) or Jake Matthews (Texas A&M). Left tackle Cordy Glenn was a second-round pick in 2012, and his starting job should be safe, but he must play better. Buffalo had such little success when rushing outside last season that a league-high 71 percent of runs came up the middle or behind a guard.

Not only does Manuel need some insulation from a consistent running game, but he could use better protection so he does not have to scramble as much and risk more injuries. Buffalo's offensive line ranked 28th in adjusted sack rate (8.5 percent). Only 28 of the 48 sacks surrendered came with Manuel taking the snap, but if he's going to stay on the field and get better, then the blocking must improve.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10430600/2014-nfl-offseason-biggest-needs-bills-dolphins-patriots-jets

stuckincincy
02-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Nothing groundbreaking but I'd agree - interesting to see some advanced metrics show that we had the 4th best defense in the NFL.

Buffalo Bills: Offensive tackle
For a team coming off its ninth consecutive losing season, the Bills actually have a decent roster in place with no glaring holes. Key acquisitions on defense in the past few years have solidified that unit, which ranked No. 4 in DVOA at Football Outsiders. This leaves Buffalo in the familiar position of trying to replace Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly. Florida State's EJ Manuel was a first-round pick last year, but injuries really took away from his opportunity to impress in his initial campaign. Adding talent around the quarterback should be the top priority this offseason, but that does not have to be a big-name receiver. In the past two years, the Bills have drafted Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin and T.J. Graham in the first three rounds. With young receivers and a very good running back duo (C.J. Spiller and Fred Jackson), the Bills would be better served to improve the trenches.

Coach Doug Marrone has specialized in the offensive line during his career, so he should have a good grasp on what went wrong in his rookie year on the Bills' sideline. No one ran the ball more in 2013 than Buffalo, with 546 runs, but the offense ranked only 14th in yards per carry (4.2) and 17th in DVOA. Run blocking was not a strength of the offensive line, especially to the outside, and right tackle Erik Pears in particular could be the player replaced in the draft by a top prospect like Greg Robinson (Auburn) or Jake Matthews (Texas A&M). Left tackle Cordy Glenn was a second-round pick in 2012, and his starting job should be safe, but he must play better. Buffalo had such little success when rushing outside last season that a league-high 71 percent of runs came up the middle or behind a guard.

Not only does Manuel need some insulation from a consistent running game, but he could use better protection so he does not have to scramble as much and risk more injuries. Buffalo's offensive line ranked 28th in adjusted sack rate (8.5 percent). Only 28 of the 48 sacks surrendered came with Manuel taking the snap, but if he's going to stay on the field and get better, then the blocking must improve.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10430600/2014-nfl-offseason-biggest-needs-bills-dolphins-patriots-jets

FWIW, CIN's Anthony Collins is emerging as a top LT FA. He also has significant time at G and RT. I suspect he's being considered by BUF. He's a decent young man - not a prima donna.

alohabillsfan
02-10-2014, 02:37 PM
Franchise quarterback

YardRat
02-10-2014, 02:38 PM
Can't argue with oline.

X-Era
02-10-2014, 02:47 PM
FWIW, CIN's Anthony Collins is emerging as a top LT FA. He also has significant time at G and RT. I suspect he's being considered by BUF. He's a decent young man - not a prima donna.
If he's a top LT FA then how is he also a "dust settles" guy?

Uncle Jesse
02-10-2014, 02:57 PM
A gay defensive end.

stuckincincy
02-10-2014, 02:58 PM
If he's a top LT FA then how is he also a "dust settles" guy?

:kid:

Bill Cody
02-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Can't argue with oline.

I can

Pinkerton Security
02-10-2014, 03:27 PM
I can

Give it a whirl!

SpikedLemonade
02-10-2014, 03:29 PM
The Bills biggest need is a new owner but in the meantime a RT and a LG would be great.

OLDSRIP
02-10-2014, 03:43 PM
A gay defensive end.

Should have been a tight end.

BillsImpossible
02-10-2014, 06:06 PM
O-line is by far the biggest need. If the Bills can't protect EJ, they're not making the playoffs. It's that simple.

A guy like Robinson at right tackle would make for an explosive running game. His pass blocking skills are somewhat of a question mark.

Matthews is more of a technician, and I think is safe to say the better pass blocker of the two.

Either OT will help the Bills be a better team.

If the Bills can run the ball and protect Manuel, the long ball is going to be very fun to watch in 2014.

Mace
02-10-2014, 06:55 PM
I still think their biggest need is a QB coach who accomplished something instead of being associated with a regressing QB, and consider the situation the inevitable epitaph of this coaching staff.

"Well Doug, you found yourself with three kid QB's, working for a college OC in a brand new offense, and didn't do anything, waiting to compensate by hiring a bad QB coach in the offseason. What were you thinking ?"

"Well, I can only tell you right now I need to get this ECC team ready to compete, though I admit it makes me emotional ..."(breaks down in tears then gives the reporter an ECC cap and a hug).

Meathead
02-10-2014, 07:23 PM
Should have been a tight end.

unless hes defensive about it

Bill Cody
02-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Give it a whirl!

We already have a good LT which is the only O-line position worthy of a top ten pick. You can draft a RT or a top guard in the 2nd round or even later. On the other hand top defensive talent gets snapped up early. We have a pretty good defense but we are porous against the run. Is that defense playoff caliber? Not quite. My take would be to draft Louis Nix from Notre Dame with the 1st pick. He could be a Vince Wilfork type of player that can stuff the run and be disruptive in the passing game also, command double teams. With Brady in our division you need to get a push up the middle to pressure him and be able to rush just 4. Nix could allow us to do that.

chernobylwraiths
02-11-2014, 11:34 AM
We need another good linebacker and the defense will be just about set.

swiper
02-11-2014, 11:40 AM
We already have a good LT which is the only O-line position worthy of a top ten pick. You can draft a RT or a top guard in the 2nd round or even later. On the other hand top defensive talent gets snapped up early. We have a pretty good defense but we are porous against the run. Is that defense playoff caliber? Not quite. My take would be to draft Louis Nix from Notre Dame with the 1st pick. He could be a Vince Wilfork type of player that can stuff the run and be disruptive in the passing game also, command double teams. With Brady in our division you need to get a push up the middle to pressure him and be able to rush just 4. Nix could allow us to do that.

Bold is excellent.

sukie
02-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Bold is excellent.

Indeed

Skooby
02-11-2014, 01:22 PM
A healthy NFL caliber QB.

YardRat
02-11-2014, 01:25 PM
I'd be OK with Nix, just don't think it's as big of a need as oline.

The Jokeman
02-11-2014, 05:53 PM

The issue is how long are we going to have the good LT? He's due be an UFA in 2016. So while it maybe foolish to use a high end pick on a guy who might play LG or RT this year and maybe next year the thought of having a guy in place to replace Glenn isn't foolish. As look at the Chiefs last year they used the top overall pick last year and he was regulated to RT this year but could be in the mix to be their LT with Branden Albert set to be an UFA this year. The 49ers used an 11th overall pick on their RT (Anthony Davis) and the Bengals used the 6th overall pick on their RT and these are two playoff teams. I know the rule of thumb is wait on LG and RT but to me we should take the best prospect/need and to me if we can't get Mack or Mosely I'd have a hard time passing on Matthews or Robinson as to me their superior talent to what would be available if wait later. I mean let's not forget that Ruben Brown the best LG in team history was drafted 12th overall. The problem in drafting Nix is it means taking either Kyle Williams or Dareus off the field and both were Pro Bowl players. True neither are the traditional NT that I think we lack but I blame the poor rush defense more on the LBs behind the front line and why think Mack or Moseley be my target. Yet I wouldn't be fully opposed to taking an O-lineman the caliber of Matthews or Robinson to man RT and quite possibly replace Glenn when he's due to be an UFA if follow our recent trend of shifting RTs to LTs.

Night Train
02-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Just remember, Rounds 2-7 of the draft and the entire FA period equal nothing.

It all begins and ends with Round 1 of the draft.

:assclown:

YardRat
02-11-2014, 06:56 PM
Just remember, Rounds 2-7 of the draft and the entire FA period equal nothing.

It all begins and ends with Round 1 of the draft.

:assclown:

And that = a QB, or a wasted pick. Duhh...

BuffaloRedleg
02-11-2014, 09:23 PM
I don't doubt that it may be our biggest need, but that doesn't mean we should be spending our 8th pick on it.

RT is just not that important compared to other positions in the league. There will plenty of decent candidates I'm sure in the 2nd/3rd I'm sure.

Don't Panic
02-12-2014, 06:24 AM
I want to go in Hot Tub Time Machine and draft Patrick Willis. Throw a guy like him in the mix and be happy focusing the rest of our energy on O. Someone told me they felt Barr was an apt comparison. I'm not seeing it so far. Not sure there's a guy of Willis' talent level in this draft.

Bill Cody
02-12-2014, 12:20 PM
I want to go in Hot Tub Time Machine and draft Patrick Willis.

Is that you Michael Sam?:lolabove:

Bill Cody
02-12-2014, 12:25 PM
I was just thinking if the commissioner read the card that said "with the 9th pick in the 2014 NFL draft the Buffalo Bills select Johnny Manziel, QB Texas A&M wouldn't all of us, whether you like or hate Manziel be like "OMG they didn't..."

sorry for the thread hijack, just thinking that would be the one pick that would make this board literally blow up

sukie
02-12-2014, 12:42 PM
I would love it THEN take Sam in the 4th... BOOM heads and keyboards would explode

stuckincincy
02-12-2014, 12:47 PM
I was just thinking if the commissioner read the card that said "with the 9th pick in the 2014 NFL draft the Buffalo Bills select Johnny Manziel, QB Texas A&M wouldn't all of us, whether you like or hate Manziel be like "OMG they didn't..."

sorry for the thread hijack, just thinking that would be the one pick that would make this board literally blow up

It wouldn't be the first time...McGahee with Henry on board, Lynch with McGahee on board, Spliler with McGaheee on board...BUF has to lead the league in high pick rb drafting. :shoothead: