Off topic: Did Pettine know he was stepping into a hornets' nest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Off topic: Did Pettine know he was stepping into a hornets' nest?

Not directly Bills related, but it's been announced in Cleveland that GM Mike Lombardi and team CEO Joe Banner are out. Assistant GM Ray Farmer takes over as GM. According to the article, this is good news for Pettine. I'm not sure how, but I'm it looks like the owner blamed Banner and Lombardi for the poor way the Browns have been run.

The Cleveland Browns announced that team CEO Joe Banner and general manager Michael Lombardi will step down. Ray Farmer has been promoted to GM effective immediately.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.
  • Meathead
    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
    • Jul 2002

Re: Off topic: Did Pettine know he was stepping into a hornets' nest?

well pettine is going to make out like a bandit bc no matter what happens hes going to get another shot at a hc job after this one anyway. nobody is going to hold it against him if he doesnt win here and will like that hes now an experienced hc and thus is less of a risk than he was. so smart move by him regardless

this could be an advantage to him bc it gives him more direct control without more layers of mgmt to get in his way. of course that means hes more on his won to screw up but again i just dont think the clusterfubar there is going to hurt his chances for his next hc job
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Historian
      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
      • Dec 2002

Screw Pettine...he's going to have enough FU money for the rest of his life.

I feel bad for the Cleveland fans.

They're the ones paying for this circus.

Comment

• ICRockets
        Legendary Zoner
        • Jul 2008

I don't feel bad for Browns fans. They stole our movie.

**** you, Costner.

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by ICRockets View Post
          I don't feel bad for Browns fans. They stole our movie.

**** you, Costner.
          perhaps not. what happens if the movie sucks? then they jumped on the grenade meant for us. Of course, if its an alltime great sports movie, we got the short end of the stick.

Comment

• gebobs
            One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
            perhaps not. what happens if the movie sucks?
            If it features Kevin Costner, it better have a great supporting cast or it will most assuredly.
            Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• jimmifli
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
              If it features Kevin Costner, it better have a great supporting cast or it will most assuredly.
              He's made some REALLY good sports movies.

Bull Durham, Field of Dreams and Tin Cup are all movies I'd watch again on a Sunday afternoon. ****, For Love Of The Game was even a watchable chick flick.

Comment

• DBrown77
                Watching the Bills suck since 1999
                • Mar 2005

So now the new front office has zero ties to the Pettine hire. He's screwed. And thats why no one else would take the job. Hope he sinks.

Comment

• feldspar
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post

Bull Durham, Field of Dreams and Tin Cup are all movies I'd watch again on a Sunday afternoon. ****, For Love Of The Game was even a watchable chick flick.
                  Kevin Costner gets a bad rap sometimes. Yeah, he's made some real stinkers, but I like a LOT of the movies he was in or behind.

But I agree with ICRockets: **** Kevin Costner. LOL.

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

Pettine does have a decent defensive based on cleveland. if he's given a chance to implement his style with players he believes in, then he's in position to put together a very good defense in cle, just like he was doing in buffalo. His offense might still suck if he's got people like hackett that he trusts. And i still think browns fans will forgive him based on his strong pedigree, the fact he probably will get the defense much better next year, and they know their QB situation is in flux.

i just dont see him doing a poor enough job to get canned quickly.

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Agreed, but all those movies had a GOOD cast around Costner.

Especially Bull Durham. I LOVE Susan Sarandon & with Tim Robbins & Robert Wuhl that cast was STRONG.

Comment

• gebobs
                        • Sep 2003

No doubt. But a good supporting cast is key.

Field of Dreams: Ray Liotta, James Earl Jones, Burt Lancaster
                        Bull Durham: Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Robert Wuhl

Waterworld, the Postman...not so much.

I didn't care for Tin Cup and never saw For Love of the Game.

IMHO, Costner is an actor on a level about somewhat below Nick Cage. They both have made some really good movies in spite of their own rather limited acting.

Sorry for derailing the thread. I will desist.
                        Last edited by gebobs; 02-11-2014, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                          Skoobasaurus-Rex
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
                          No doubt. But a good supporting cast is key.

Field of Dreams: Ray Liotta, James Earl Jones, Burt Lancaster
                          Bull Durham: Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Robert Wuhl

I didn't care for Tin Cup and never saw For Love of the Game.

IMHO, Costner is an actor on a level about somewhat below Nick Cage. They both have made some really good movies in spite of their own rather limited acting.

Sorry for derailing the thread. I will desist.
                          Cage's ghost-rider movies are masterpieces of theatrical work, lol.

Comment

• gebobs
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                            Cage's ghost-rider movies are masterpieces of theatrical work, lol.
                            Wait for the remake of Left Behind....wowowowowow!

Leaving Las Vegas though was rather poignant. Moonstruck was charming. And Raising Arizona was hilarious. None of them stretched his range and the supporting casts were excellent.

Well, maybe not Leaving Las Vegas, but Elizabeth Shue was very good and Cage put in the performance of his life. Still, how the Academy picked him over Anthony Hopkins (Nixon), Sean Penn (Dead Man Walking) or Massimo Troisi (Il Postino) is a mystery.

These things happen. Rocky won over Network and Taxi Driver. LOL
                            Last edited by gebobs; 02-11-2014, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                              • Aug 2004

Why would Haslem let them hire a coach if he planned on canning them? Maybe most of the decision was with Haslem and Ray Farmer.

Comment

Working...
                              X