PDA

View Full Version : Bills Salary Cap Carryover $$$

Don't Panic
02-14-2014, 10:27 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/116713/inside-slant-salary-cap-carryover-numbers

Looks like the Bills will potentially be a shade under $20 million in money to spend on this year's draft class and free agent signing period. I'd guess we're looking at $6 million for the rookies, so that probably leaves us with three mid-level signings in FA and maybe a couple bargain basement late period types to boot. Should be enough to plug holes if we spend it wisely.

Downinfloflo
02-14-2014, 10:30 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/116713/inside-slant-salary-cap-carryover-numbers

Looks like the Bills will potentially be a shade under $20 million in money to spend on this year's draft class and free agent signing period. I'd guess we're looking at $6 million for the rookies, so that probably leaves us with three mid-level signings in FA and maybe a couple bargain basement late period types to boot. Should be enough to plug holes if we spend it wisely.

Does that include Byrd?

SpikedLemonade
02-14-2014, 10:36 AM
You need to first deduct the $20M that Ralph pockets off the top from the Bills share of the TV revenue. We have an internal salary cap that is $20M below the real cap. The Bills just roll the $20M year over year thus losing the ability to spend the $20M from the prior year.

In 2016, the 4th year of the 1st 4 year period, because the Bills must spend 89% of the total of the 4 years of the salary cap, we may send a little more otherwise the "penalty" is to pay the the offside amount pro-rated to the players on the team during those 4 years.

How is Ralph's health these days?

YardRat
02-14-2014, 10:40 AM
#1---Ralph's too smart of a businessman to 'pocket' 20mil, the taxes would be killer.
#2---The salary cap floor, if I remember correctly when the new CBA was agreed to, is actually a league-wide cumulative floor, not individually team-by-team.

SpikedLemonade
02-14-2014, 11:13 AM
#1---Ralph's too smart of a businessman to 'pocket' 20mil, the taxes would be killer.
#2---The salary cap floor, if I remember correctly when the new CBA was agreed to, is actually a league-wide cumulative floor, not individually team-by-team.

He pockets it by leaving it unspent in the Bills. They will find other expenses to deduct so the tax is minimal.

No the floor is per team but over two 4 year periods rather than year by year.

Don't Panic
02-14-2014, 11:19 AM
Does that include Byrd?

It wouldn't include any free agents. If Byrd comes back, we're looking at a little more than half the original amount, minus the $6 million for the draft picks. That would probably leave us $5 million to spend on other FAs.

GingerP
02-14-2014, 11:24 AM

There is a team floor.

1) Teams have to spend 89% of their cap room, on average, for the period of 2013 - 2016.

2) Teams have to spend 89% of their cap room, on average, for the period of 2017 - 2020.

3) After 2016 & 2020, any team that is under the minimum has to make up the difference (before the next Sept 16) directly to the players who were on the roster during the period in question.

So, for instance, let's say the cap adds up to $500M for the period of 2013 - 2016 ($125M per year). NFL teams will have to spend $445M during the period minimally ($111.25M per year).

The 2013 cap was set at $123M (prior to carryover). Thus, 89% of that means cash spending of $98.4M to stay on average.

YardRat
02-14-2014, 02:51 PM
Do either of you have a link to the actual contract language? I know X-Era did when the new agreement was first signed, but I won't have time to search for it through the archives until later.

streetkings01
02-14-2014, 03:49 PM
You need to first deduct the $20M that Ralph pockets off the top from the Bills share of the TV revenue. We have an internal salary cap that is $20M below the real cap. The Bills just roll the $20M year over year thus losing the ability to spend the $20M from the prior year.

In 2016, the 4th year of the 1st 4 year period, because the Bills must spend 89% of the total of the 4 years of the salary cap, we may send a little more otherwise the "penalty" is to pay the the offside amount pro-rated to the players on the team during those 4 years.

Are people still calling Ralph cheap? Thought that was over and done with.........guess not.

GvilleBills
02-14-2014, 04:00 PM

First thing came to my mind after reading this, I chuckled:

Tom Ace. Pleasure to meet you Mr. Camp, and congratulations on all your success. You smell terrific. I was just telling Melissa that one of the first things we learned back at Stanford Law was the modern proliferation of food poisoning claims against wealthy private homeowners. In fact, if one were so inclined, one could make quite a lucrative law practice with little else.
How is everyone feeling tonight?
Ace Ventura

GingerP
02-14-2014, 06:44 PM
Do either of you have a link to the actual contract language? I know X-Era did when the new agreement was first signed, but I won't have time to search for it through the archives until later.

Here is the relevant portion of the CBA:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa199/lilOUmikey/MinimumTeamCashSpending.jpg

BertSquirtgum
02-14-2014, 07:21 PM
Ralph is frugal.

Mace
02-14-2014, 07:36 PM

Evidently well enough where he can party it up for 20 million.

Let him go, Spiked, it sort of makes you look overly obsessed with a guy in a hospital bed, who wears diapers and eats baby food.

Whatcha think he does with that 20 million windfall, Rio, Paris, a nice new bedmat, pillows and a diamond encrusted spoon for his Gerbers ? Or are you thinking Mink G-string and starlets to party it up with ?

more cowbell
02-15-2014, 12:27 AM
Kevin Kolb is going to be cut so add another 3.6 million in cap room. Also, don't be surprised to see Dareus get a new contract which would lower his cap number this year.

Other potential cuts:

Pears - 3.3 Mil Cap hit according to Rotoworld

Moorman - 1 mil cap hit (assuming we find a rookie to replace him)

Easley - 730k cap hit

K. Elliot - 570k cap hit

Hopkins - 495k cap hit

Legursky - 850k cap hit

Moeaki - 1.25 mil cap hit

L. Smith - 688k cap hit

A. Allen - 550k cap hit

Rodriguez - 570k cap hit

So if the players listed above are all not a part of the 2014 Bills...it would tentatively add close to $13.6 million of additional cap space....

Source: http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/buf/

GingerP
02-16-2014, 08:13 AM
Keep in mind, if you cut someone with a low salary it doesn't really save much because they will be replaced in the Top-51 with another salary. This is true in the offseason, so any savings is offset by at least a minimum salary ($405K), depending on how much the 51st player makes.

Also, the Bills are probably treading carefully with Kolb because it is a concussion issue. He has a $1M roster bonus due on 3/31, so they will likely make a decision before then. However, if he is still suffering symptoms and they cut him, he could file a grievance for termination pay. A player can do that once in his career when cut, and if they win they get their full salary. Until the grievance is heard, he would remain on the Bills cap, likely for the entire season. If he were to lose his grievance, the Bills would receive a credit in 2015. Of course, that is all conjecture, but it likely is why the Bills are being careful saying anything about Kolb.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-16-2014, 11:48 AM
Kevin Kolb is going to be cut so add another 3.6 million in cap room.

That's not how it works. If you dump a guy, he leaves behind dead money so the cap hit isn't the measure of cap savings. For Kolb, he leaves behind 500K, so we'd save 3.1 million by dumping him.

Mike
02-17-2014, 01:05 PM

In essence this is why the Bills have been a top 10 profit making machine over last 15 years!

Basically, Ralph benefits from shared TV revenue and Bills get their share there. Include ticket sales, consesions, etc... And the Bills revenue is bottom 10 however the expenses are not. Instead of paying their players, the go cheap & have an internal cash to cap philosophy which means they spend $20,000,000 less than the Cap. That's $20M less expenses, which means that now the Bills are a top 10 in profit!

To put it in perspective they made more money in profits than 23 other teams which include: Jets, Dolphibes, Packers, Ravens, etc and many much bigger market teams (NY).

Now this Cap floor hasn't done much. We still have some time but I would like to see if it works. The NFL has a floor, yet Bills are still shaving $20,000,000 in cap space.

**£* We will see what happens but if it continues, and where profit is the biggest motive, don't expect such teams to ever put a great product on the field. Anytime such a team has great players, they will 8/10 times let them walk to they can Save $$$. They will opt for rookies, Cheap FAs, etc and a splash every so often so to keep enough fans engaged. Basically, this is the minor league of the NFL; Buffalo.

stuckincincy
02-17-2014, 01:28 PM
Heh - and again, we had recent thread about how a new stadium is needed. :anvil:

SpikedLemonade
02-17-2014, 03:31 PM
In essence this is why the Bills have been a top 10 profit making machine over last 15 years!

Basically, Ralph benefits from shared TV revenue and Bills get their share there. Include ticket sales, consesions, etc... And the Bills revenue is bottom 10 however the expenses are not. Instead of paying their players, the go cheap & have an internal cash to cap philosophy which means they spend $20,000,000 less than the Cap. That's $20M less expenses, which means that now the Bills are a top 10 in profit!

To put it in perspective they made more money in profits than 23 other teams which include: Jets, Dolphibes, Packers, Ravens, etc and many much bigger market teams (NY).

Now this Cap floor hasn't done much. We still have some time but I would like to see if it works. The NFL has a floor, yet Bills are still shaving $20,000,000 in cap space.

**£* We will see what happens but if it continues, and where profit is the biggest motive, don't expect such teams to ever put a great product on the field. Anytime such a team has great players, they will 8/10 times let them walk to they can Save $$$. They will opt for rookies, Cheap FAs, etc and a splash every so often so to keep enough fans engaged. Basically, this is the minor league of the NFL; Buffalo.

You get it!

SpikedLemonade
02-17-2014, 03:33 PM
Heh - and again, we had recent thread about how a new stadium is needed. :anvil:

Not needed by the fans but demanded by the new eventual owner.

alohabillsfan
02-18-2014, 12:57 AM
Owning the buffalo bills is a business, the reason Ralph owns the bills and makes money is the same reason he does and we don't, he's a schrewed business man and if I owned the bills idioms to make 20million a year too. After all it is a business!

better days
02-18-2014, 09:02 AM
Owning the buffalo bills is a business, the reason Ralph owns the bills and makes money is the same reason he does and we don't, he's a schrewed business man and if I owned the bills idioms to make 20million a year too. After all it is a business!

Ralph got rich from the Bills the same way Steve Jobs got rich from Apple.

Both had a passion for something & the riches are a byproduct of that passion.

Buffalogic
02-20-2014, 11:14 AM
Looks like salary cap will be 130 million this coming year. No reason not to sign Byrd and others...

SpikedLemonade
02-20-2014, 11:46 AM
Looks like salary cap will be 130 million this coming year. No reason not to sign Byrd and others...

Oh there is still the same reason -- better the money in Ralph's pocket than out in the field.

jimmifli
02-21-2014, 12:08 PM

It's too bad our fearless leader is so old now. It seems like just yesterday he gave birth to Jim Kelly and then invented the KGun.

X-Era
02-21-2014, 01:33 PM
So, I think the top 51 count for cap purposes and then you add the carry over from last year if we choose to do that.

My guess based on this is we have 113 mill in cap tied up in the top 51. We then take another 17.8 mill off that because of the carry over. Then if the cap is set at 130 mill, we end up with 34 mill in cap space. But then we have to eat up 12 mill in dead money if the numbers from the link are right.

That leaves us at about 22 mill in cap space before any cuts.

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Bills&Year=2014

When the cap gets set, the rollovers happen, and better figures come out I'll put up a cap space thread.

This link agrees with the 22 mill in cap space number:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap-hit/

IlluminatusUIUC
02-21-2014, 03:30 PM

:rofl:

Don't Panic
03-01-2014, 10:04 AM
$133 million... should be about $25 million to spend.

SpikedLemonade
03-01-2014, 10:22 AM
$133 million... should be about $25 million to spend.

But $20M will not be spent per our internal salary cap.

better days
03-01-2014, 11:01 AM
:rofl:

Typical post from the mentally challenged.

Thanked by others of the same ilk.

YardRat
03-01-2014, 11:39 AM
If Ralph wasn't passionate about this team and it's ties to WNY he would have moved the team 30 years ago.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-01-2014, 02:32 PM
If Ralph wasn't passionate about this team and it's ties to WNY he would have moved the team 30 years ago.

I don't doubt his passion but the comparison to Jobs is utterly laughable.

Typical post from the mentally challenged.

Thanked by others of the same ilk.

Most guys have to be successful before they attract a sycophant as devoted as better days. Ralph manages though.

YardRat
03-01-2014, 03:05 PM
I don't doubt his passion but the comparison to Jobs is utterly laughable.

Why?

BillsFever21
03-01-2014, 04:29 PM
I didn't know Steve Jobs made Apple one of the biggest companies in the world by putting out an inferior product every season that always lagged behind their competitors. That's how Ralph made the money off the Bills.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Why?

Jobs built Apple (twice) by being innovative, creative, and aggressive. Ralph has been sitting back on a paid off franchise collecting revenue sharing checks for decades.

YardRat
03-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Jobs built Apple (twice) by being innovative, creative, and aggressive.

Fair enough.

JoeMama
03-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Bills fans are a lot like Apple users.

Insane brand loyalty.

jimmifli
03-02-2014, 12:06 AM
Bills fans are a lot like Apple users.

Insane brand loyalty.
Say what you will about Apple's products, but they don't suck. They might be overpriced, overcontrolled and overhyped, but they are at worst, of comparable build quality.

Then there's the Bills. Bills fans aren't like Apple fans. We're like loyal fans of the Reliant Robin.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QQh56geU0X8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>