• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Marrone unsure on Kevin Kolb's status

Back in December, Buffalo Bills coach Doug Marrone said that he had not spoken to quarterback Kevin Kolb, who was placed on injured reserve in August.Nearly two months later, Marrone said he is still not sure of Kolb's plans.

"He's under contract and I'm not aware of really what exactly is going on right now, whether he's planning to come back, whether he's not going to come back," Marrone told WGR 550 on Friday. "I have not been informed of anything to that nature."

While it's unclear if general manager Doug Whaley has been in contact with Kolb, the Bills have a decision on their veteran quarterback coming soon. According to ProFootballTalk.com, he is due a $1 million roster bonus on the third day of the 2014 league year, which is March 13. If he is on the roster at that time, Kolb will earn that bonus, so the Bills would need to release him before then (or restructure his contract) to avoid that charge.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • more cowbell
    • Apr 2006

Re: Marrone unsure on Kevin Kolb's status

Adios.
    The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.

Comment

• The Popcorn
      Cincinatti > Buffalo
      • Jun 2009

He has nothing to do with that part of football.
      The Popcorn and Terrell Owens are coming to a town near you.

Comment

• Swiper
        • Sep 2010

Kelvin Kolb, Kelly Holcomb, Craig Nall.

I can't decide which was the best for the Bills.

Last edited by swiper; 02-15-2014, 05:21 AM.

Comment

• Mace
          Haha...yeah you think so ?
          • Mar 2013

Sort of amazes me though that Marrone is "not aware of really what exactly is going on right now" with him.

Seems like that should be something a HC would be paying attention toconsidering our situation.Knowing and not wanting to say isn't that hard to express:"I'm keeping an eye on it, and now isn't the time to discuss it further at this point."

At least make pretend you're paying attention to absolutely everything.

Comment

• JCBills
            • Jan 2010

Cut him and save 3.6 Mil in cap space, money that can be used on actual contributors.

Comment

• Jeff1220
              H to the 12:20
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mace View Post
              Sort of amazes me though that Marrone is "not aware of really what exactly is going on right now" with him.

Seems like that should be something a HC would be paying attention toconsidering our situation.Knowing and not wanting to say isn't that hard to express:"I'm keeping an eye on it, and now isn't the time to discuss it further at this point."

At least make pretend you're paying attention to absolutely everything.
              He's just deflecting the question. Or, like many of us, is just trying to forget that Kolb was ever a part of the plan for this team.

Comment

• Mace
                Haha...yeah you think so ?
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Jeff1220 View Post
                He's just deflecting the question. Or, like many of us, is just trying to forget that Kolb was ever a part of the plan for this team.
                Might be, but there are better ways of deflecting the question than looking clueless and uninvolved.

Like I said with evident spacing issues : "I'm keeping an eye on it, and now isn't the time to discuss it further at this point."

I don't think he's deflecting the issue, wears his heart on his sleeve, I think he really doesn't have a clue, isn't paying the least attention. Well, it's just Kolb, yeah but that's not the point. "Not yet successful HC's" don't want anyone thinking they have no clue, they want everyone thinking they do.

The hated Belichick assertively and authoritatively says nothing whatever on purpose Dick Jauron said nothing whatever not on purpose, Chan Gailey said little smoothly, Marv Levy said tons of stuff irrelevantly.....

I got carried away with remembering what coaches had to say and how, it was funny stuff. Not happy funny though. I want Marrone to at least pretend to be omnipotent and in control until he can be breezy and diffident because THEY ARE A WINNING TEAM.

Until then he'd better damn well pretend he has a clue what's going on with his QB's and if they have any place in his plan, if he has one.

In my humble opinion anyway....

Comment

• feldspar
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Jeff1220 View Post
                  He's just deflecting the question.
                  Yep. I could have said exactly what Marrone said. I find it hard to believe that he doesn't more than I do about this. But it comes as no surprise that he would not be absolutely forthcoming about Kolb's status, and it's probably the smart way to approach the issue. It has to officially play out. I wouldn't expect a coach to comment about it until it does. It will be interesting to see what happens if Kolb decides to continue to pursue his playing career and is medically cleared to do so.

Comment

• JoeMama
                    Emotion Sickness
                    • Oct 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                    http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bill...n-kolbs-status

"He's under contract and I'm not aware of really what exactly is going on right now, whether he's planning to come back, whether he's not going to come back," Marrone told WGR 550 on Friday. "I have not been informed of anything to that nature."

While it's unclear if general manager Doug Whaley has been in contact with Kolb, the Bills have a decision on their veteran quarterback coming soon. According to ProFootballTalk.com, he is due a $1 million roster bonus on the third day of the 2014 league year, which is March 13. If he is on the roster at that time, Kolb will earn that bonus, so the Bills would need to release him before then (or restructure his contract) to avoid that charge.
                    Kolb's return is probably contingent on how many slippery rubber mats they plan on having in the facility this year.

And Marrone hasn't taken inventory yet.
                    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

He probably knows more than he is letting on to and and just used a very poor choice of words to make his statement. One would hope that is the case, anyway.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DynaPaul
                        • Sep 2003

He ain't coming back unless it's just to collect a check. Who the hell is out for an entire year with a concussion?

Comment

• Meathead
                          Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                          • Jul 2002

reports are coming in that kolb finally contacted marrone today and told him that he would have called sooner but the last time he tried he got a concussion raising the phone to his head
                          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• GingerP
                            • Aug 2012

The Bills are probably treading carefully with Kolb because it is a concussion issue. He has a $1M roster bonus due on 3/31, so they will likely make a decision before then. However, if he is still suffering symptoms and they cut him, he could file a grievance for termination pay. A player can do that once in his career when cut, and if they win they get their full salary. Until the grievance is heard, he would remain on the Bills cap, likely for the entire season. If he were to lose his grievance, the Bills would receive a credit in 2015. Of course, that is all conjecture, but it likely is why the Bills are being careful saying anything about Kolb.

Comment

• GingerP
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by DynaPaul View Post
                              He ain't coming back unless it's just to collect a check. Who the hell is out for an entire year with a concussion?
                              Concussions have ended careers.

Comment

Working...
                              X