PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Martin

ICRockets
02-15-2014, 10:17 AM
Now that we know the extent of the harassment by some Phins linemen, I think it's safe to say Martin desperately needs a scenery change. We want an upgrade along the line at RT, right? Seems to me bringing him in cheap and giving him a fresh start would be mutually beneficial. If there's anybody who is going to be motivated to go hard 2 times a year against Miami, it's gotta be this guy right?

Sign Martin, draft a WR in round 1. That's part of my offseason plan.

starrymessenger
02-15-2014, 10:42 AM
Now that we know the extent of the harassment by some Phins linemen, I think it's safe to say Martin desperately needs a scenery change. We want an upgrade along the line at RT, right? Seems to me bringing him in cheap and giving him a fresh start would be mutually beneficial. If there's anybody who is going to be motivated to go hard 2 times a year against Miami, it's gotta be this guy right?

Signing Martin prolly won't do much to improve our O-line.
He's just not good and being Ritchie's ***** does not make him a better football player.
I'd rather keep clear of the whole Miami mess.
The Bills can, and I think will do better.

imbondz
02-15-2014, 11:07 AM
ugh. no thanks. drama

better days
02-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Signing Martin prolly won't do much to improve our O-line.
He's just not good and being Ritchie's ***** does not make him a better football player.
I'd rather keep clear of the whole Miami mess.
The Bills can, and I think will do better.

Agreed. The harassment by Incognito started because Martin was playing like crap. IMO, Martin has proven to be mentally weak.

When someone bullies you the way Incognito did to Martin, a strong person stands up to the bully, he doesn't run away from him.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-15-2014, 11:12 AM
I do feel for Martin and believe he was the victim here, but i think this saga shows clearly that he's not the kind of guy who is motivated to play better by personal slights.

starrymessenger
02-15-2014, 11:15 AM
Agreed. The harassment by Incognito started because Martin was playing like crap. IMO, Martin has proven to be mentally weak.

When someone bullies you the way Incognito did to Martin, a strong person stands up to the bully, he doesn't run away from him.

I agree it's best to confront a bully.
Apparently JMs dad told him to knock Ritchie's head off.
If he had tried that tho I suspect he would have been face down on the floor in less than three seconds getting his clock cleaned.
Now if he was Jonathan Ogden instead of Jonathan Martin then ok.
But of course if he was Jonathan Ogden Ritchie would never have pulled this stuff.
And that's a problem, tho not the only one, I have with Incognito.

YardRat
02-15-2014, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I'll pass too. Rather sign someone like Carimi whou could start at RT if necessary, but also move inside if we were able to land a decent RT in the draft in the first two rounds.

JoeMama
02-15-2014, 11:39 AM
Martin's too soft. No interest.

Besides, he was never very good.

In 2012, he had the dubious honor of allowing something awful like the most sacks and/or most QB pressures. I forget which, maybe both.

I don't think sliding him to RT is going to help him all that much.

starrymessenger
02-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Martin's too soft. No interest.

Besides, he was never very good.

In 2012, he had the dubious honor of allowing something awful like the most sacks and/or most QB pressures. I forget which, maybe both.

I don't think sliding him to RT is going to help him all that much.

He's wideout in an O-lineman's body.
Thats worse than being a tweeter.
Sort of unfortunate.
Mother Nature played a trick on him.

starrymessenger
02-15-2014, 11:46 AM
Sort of unfortunate.

Edit: Read "tweener" not "tweeter".
Friggen spellcheck thinks it knows everything.

coastal
02-15-2014, 12:09 PM
Maybe he could practice against Mario then.

they can both exchange stories about how they've been abused.

justasportsfan
02-15-2014, 01:14 PM
Sign Martin, Michael Sam and Freeman. Then we can make Dr. Phil our in house physician.

jdaltroy5
02-15-2014, 01:28 PM
First off, Martin is terrible.

Second of all, if Martin was the victim, he did a great job of hiding it.

I read all 1000+ of those text messages. The abuse, racial slurs, and insults absolutely went both ways.

Incognito was always asking Martin to hang out, go to movies, get dinner, work out, etc...

He was even telling him he needed to stop hanging out with people who smoked weed.

I can't imagine any NFL team will sign him.

pmoon6
02-15-2014, 01:36 PM
Maybe he could practice against Mario then.

they can both exchange stories about how they've been abused.:rofl:

tatersalad
02-15-2014, 02:30 PM
snitches get stitches

JoeMama
02-15-2014, 02:41 PM
Sort of unfortunate.

He certainly has a wideout's diva mentality.

I wish we could export the entire position to the NBA, where divas belong.

We don't need them ruining another perfectly good sport like they did to basketball.

Raptor
02-15-2014, 02:45 PM
Funny thing about this Martin thing, he is actually a Horrible and I mean HORRIBLE player. He wouldn't even be a good back up. The guy shouldn't even be in the league and would be a downgrade from Pears

stuckincincy
02-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Don't know it he gets cut, but as X-Era mentioned in a post late January, CIN's Brandon Tate deserves consideration. He's a good ST returner - close to 10 yards per on punts, 26 yards on kickoffs and several touchdowns. He has a knock, though - takes it out of the EZ when he shouldn't - but that's not uncommon..these guys get their roster spots for taking the chance.

In the few times he was lined up on offense, he got some decent gains. It's a big question mark if he has the skills to be considered as a wr on a roster, though. He couldn't crack the NE starting roster nor CIN's.

But CIN had the occasional blowout victor during his tenure - I would have liked to have the OC put him in and see if he could show something.

But OCs are all Ladies-In-Waiting for a HC gig these days, so you won't see many bench players being exercised for future betterment of the team.

kishoph
02-15-2014, 03:54 PM

I read all 1000+ of those text messages. The abuse, racial slurs, and insults absolutely went both ways.

Incognito was always asking Martin to hang out, go to movies, get dinner, work out, etc...

He was even telling him he needed to stop hanging out with people who smoked weed.

I'm not justifying everything, Incognito did, but Martin definitely was trying to play up the victim role here. It seems to me a lot of it was just two friends busting each others balls, Incognito may have crossed the line at times, but Martin was not an innocent abused victim as he and his agent portrayed him to be.

Mace
02-15-2014, 07:54 PM
Yeah, people taking shots at the obviously fragile Martin are sort of ignoring the part where they harassed McDonald up to inappropriate touching and also harassed an assistant trainer. Come on already. They were over the line and if Martin had slugged Incogonito in the face like maybe some of us would have, including Incognito.....

I read enough of the entire thing, they called Incognito "tornado" because sometimes his switch just flipped. That's called a head full of bad wiring, and we know how those work out in society.

All that said, Martin is just not a good tackle to grab anyway as others have mentioned. We could get the same value by grabbing Demetress Bell again.

DynaPaul
02-16-2014, 07:32 AM
Pass.

Meathead
02-16-2014, 07:50 AM

what are you trying to pull? everybody knows we only count them in one direction. in fact, i think its racist just suggesting otherwise. and now that youre a confirmed racist, i get to attack you without consequence. what could go wrong?

YardRat
02-16-2014, 08:50 AM
Don't know it he gets cut, but as X-Era mentioned in a post late January, CIN's Brandon Tate deserves consideration. He's a good ST returner - close to 10 yards per on punts, 26 yards on kickoffs and several touchdowns. He has a knock, though - takes it out of the EZ when he shouldn't - but that's not uncommon..these guys get their roster spots for taking the chance.

In the few times he was lined up on offense, he got some decent gains. It's a big question mark if he has the skills to be considered as a wr on a roster, though. He couldn't crack the NE starting roster nor CIN's.

But CIN had the occasional blowout victor during his tenure - I would have liked to have the OC put him in and see if he could show something.

But OCs are all Ladies-In-Waiting for a HC gig these days, so you won't see many bench players being exercised for future betterment of the team.

lol...I love it when **** like this happens.

WagonCircler
02-16-2014, 09:09 AM

Getting your panties wet over the gay player, lobbying for the quitter who couldn't stand up for himself so he quit.

I swear some of you lefties would sign Richard F-c-king Simmons.

Mike13
02-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Yeah, people taking shots at the obviously fragile Martin are sort of ignoring the part where they harassed McDonald up to inappropriate touching and also harassed an assistant trainer. Come on already. They were over the line and if Martin had slugged Incogonito in the face like maybe some of us would have, including Incognito.....

I read enough of the entire thing, they called Incognito "tornado" because sometimes his switch just flipped. That's called a head full of bad wiring, and we know how those work out in society.

All that said, Martin is just not a good tackle to grab anyway as others have mentioned. We could get the same value by grabbing Demetress Bell again.

OL Coach Jim Tuner encouraged and participated in the "fun"
How he isnt fired yet is anyone's guess.

Mace
02-16-2014, 09:49 PM

Matter of time I think.....

kishoph
02-17-2014, 05:29 AM

Where is Joe Philbin in all of this ?

The Jokeman
02-17-2014, 07:35 AM
I remember wanting him a lot coming out of Stanford but it appears the Bills made a wiser decision taking Glenn over Martin. As Martin hasn't played up to his draft billing. If he was cut I'd be interested in him but not make him a priority.

Mike13
02-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Where is Joe Philbin in all of this ?

Martin never told him or Jeff Ireland what was going on, however when you consider how large a coaching staff is, someone else should have known, and should have went to Philbin about it.

Either he is clueless or he has no respect from his players. Or he did know and simply didnt care.

alohabillsfan
02-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Martin is weak minded, not a good quality in a professional athlete. Pass

swiper
02-17-2014, 12:39 PM
Just say "no" to nuts.

It's a good motto to live by.

swiper
02-17-2014, 12:42 PM
Martin is weak minded, not a good quality in a professional athlete. Pass

I once met a girl who was weak minded. She was also 34-22-34. I didn't pass. In fact, I bent her over like a twist-tie on a loaf of pumphernickel.

BillsFever21
02-17-2014, 04:32 PM
I don't want Martin anywhere near this team. Not only is he not worth the drama but he also wasn't very good anyway. He's mentally weak and when somebody tells him he's playing like crap he may run off the team crying he was being bullied again.

Skooby
02-17-2014, 06:47 PM
If we can get Teo & this guy together, they'd be in love.

kishoph
02-18-2014, 05:22 AM
Martin never told him or Jeff Ireland what was going on, however when you consider how large a coaching staff is, someone else should have known, and should have went to Philbin about it.

Either he is clueless or he has no respect from his players. Or he did know and simply didnt care.

I also thought that one of his players or staff would have brought this to his attention. Maybe it is a respect thing, when watching the Dolphins on Hard Knocks, I got the feeling that Philbin didn't command much respect. I could of just read it that way, but it seems odd that Philbin was kept in the dark to this whole thing that involved numerous players and someone from his staff.

Buffalogic
02-18-2014, 12:20 PM
He struggled at left tackle, doesn't mean he can't play right tackle. Love hearing people say he's mentally weak and not motivated by personal slights like they eat lunch with the guy every day. Nothing against having him compete at right tackle where he gets to play Miami twice a year.

starrymessenger
02-18-2014, 03:39 PM
He struggled at left tackle, doesn't mean he can't play right tackle. Love hearing people say he's mentally weak and not motivated by personal slights like they eat lunch with the guy every day. Nothing against having him compete at right tackle where he gets to play Miami twice a year.

Well he did admit that he thought he was soft.
Says it was because he went to soft schools, where, curiously, smaller kids bullied him all the time.
Sure you still want him at RT?
How about kicking him inside? Think he'd be a good guard?

Buffalogic
02-18-2014, 03:57 PM
Well he did admit that he thought he was soft.
Says it was because he went to soft schools, where, curiously, smaller kids bullied him all the time.
Sure you still want him at RT?
How about kicking him inside? Think he'd be a good guard?I'd try him at RT first and see how it goes. I mean if the guy is committed to playing, he could use this as a learning experience. Pretty sure everyone has had misteps in their professional career that they have grown from. I know I have. I think everyone deserves a second chance. Hell, Incognito has had like 5 second chances and I still would like to see him carry on his career too.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-18-2014, 06:25 PM
Love hearing people say he's mentally weak and not motivated by personal slights like they eat lunch with the guy every day. Nothing against having him compete at right tackle where he gets to play Miami twice a year.

He outright said this in his text messages. This idea that he's going to get fired up to get revenge against Miami just doesn't fit with how he handled the situation. Some guys aren't wired that way.

pmoon6
02-19-2014, 07:28 AM
I don't see the harm of signing to him to a minimal contract despite the media attention. Do I think he'll succeed? Probably not, but it's not like we have Wolford, Ritcher, Hull, Davis and Ballard as starters.

Mike13
02-20-2014, 10:44 AM
He outright said this in his text messages. This idea that he's going to get fired up to get revenge against Miami just doesn't fit with how he handled the situation. Some guys aren't wired that way.

If you guys wanna see him get his ass kicked by Cam Wake and Oliver Vernon twice a year, go ahead and sign him.

Bill Cody
02-20-2014, 11:45 AM
I would take Richie Incognito ahead of Martin and I don't want Incognito anywhere near this team. At least Incognito is one mean MoFo. If I was starting an Ultimate Frisbee team I might take Martin but I'd make sure nobody got his cell #. Otherwise not just no hell no.

Buffalogic
02-20-2014, 12:05 PM
Martin is young, Incognito is what, 32 and a repeat offender? Change of scenery does wonders sometimes. The guy was a high second round pick. At vet minimum, it would be silly not to give him a shot. At the very least it would improve OL depth. I'm cool either way though.

better days
02-20-2014, 12:12 PM
I would take Richie Incognito ahead of Martin and I don't want Incognito anywhere near this team. At least Incognito is one mean MoFo. If I was starting an Ultimate Frisbee team I might take Martin but I'd make sure nobody got his cell #. Otherwise not just no hell no.

Martin would QUIT chasing the Frisbee.

Ingtar33
02-21-2014, 12:38 AM

i always thought this whole "bullying" thing was his mom's attempt to sue the pants off the NFL and Dolphins. That said there was no excuse for the **** going on in the Dolphins clubhouse. Sure, sometimes stuff like this happens, but it's the coaching staff and management's job to keep it to a min, and choke it off before it gets worse.

And i wouldn't take Martin even if the Fins wanted to give us picks to take him. He was a terrible player on the field and he comes with too much baggage off of the field.