X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

A New Idiot Mock Award Winner

I am awarding my third Idiot Mock honors to Cal, one of the football intelligence challenged mock drafters at TheNewNFLDraft.com. This website apparently lets anyone who wants to post mock drafts. Some of them are OK. Some are simply awful. This is in the latter category. In the first round, Cal has the Bills drafting Justin Gilbert, good cornerback. This is only a modest reach for the Bills as most mock drafters are putting him in the first round, just not the top ten. The main problem with this pick is that CB is a pretty low level need position. Yes, Gilmore started out the year hurt and then struggled when he came back, but it turns out a QB like Gilmore really needs 2 arms. As soon as the club came off, he started looking more and more like his old self. Meanwhile, on the other side, Leodis McKelvin is looking more and more like a starting corner, and less and less like a punt returner. Maybe Cal should have had Buffalo draft a punt returner. Buffalo also signed a surprisingly good UDFA in Nikel Robey, who fits well in the nickel spot. More competition is never a bad thing, but there are other areas where the needs are greater and the values better at ninth overall.

In round two, Cal has Buffalo picking Dominique Easley. He is a true defensive end who has an explosive first step and never takes a down off. Moreover, it can be easily argued that Buffalo needs a defensive end like him to put across from Mario Williams. All Buffalo has are 'tweeners right now. So why is this a bad pick? Because Easley recently had his second knee surgery (ACL both times) and won't be able to work out before the draft. Odds are he'll recover and make a nice pick for somebody, but that's not the kind of risk you take in the second round.

In round three, Cal has Buffalo picking Jonatthon Harrison. Who? Jonatthon Harrison is a center from Florida. Well, maybe he can play guard. He has played some at guard at least. The trouble is he's not a very good center. Information is tough to come by on the internet, but Walter Football, the only site I could find that had an evaluation on him, calls him a 4th to 6th round prospect. He's undersized at 295 lbs., regressed in his senior year, and aside from a good 40 time is pretty underwhelming. Walter football rates him the seventh best center prospect in a class that has been termed below average for centers. You can't do better than that, Cal?

While commentary for the Idiot Mock Award is focused on picks for the Bills, I do note that in this mock, Sammy Watkins goes to the Steelers at #15, Hageman is drafted by two teams in the first round while most would rate him as a second rounder. Gabe Jackson, a likely second round guard goes late first. Tajh Boyd, whom many see as a third or fourth round pick now goes at 20 overall. A. J. Johnson an ILB who is off the radar for everybody else and was just arrested for buying alcohol for an underage person goes in the first round. Jason Verrett plays both cornerback and defensive end for TCU and is drafted by one team in the first round and another team in round two. I shouldn't wonder, as versatile as he must be. And Greg Robinson is not in this mock at all. Maybe Cal rates him as a priority UDFA.

For your enjoyment, here is the link. http://newnfldraft.com/cals-2014-nfl-mock-draft/
    Last edited by TigerJ; 02-15-2014, 09:42 PM.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.
  • Swiper
    • Sep 2010

Re: A New Idiot Mock Award Winner

Why do even bother? It is interesting that this guy has the Bills drafting postions in the top three that the Bills are mostly set in and ignoring areas of need that we all recognize. So, again, ....

You know this team more than Cal does.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

I feel really good about my mocks every time I read one of these.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• The Popcorn
        Cincinatti > Buffalo
        • Jun 2009

Watkins at 15??? I think this kid is a top 5 pick.
        The Popcorn and Terrell Owens are coming to a town near you.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
          • Sep 2012

n the first round, Cal has the Bills drafting Justin Gilbert, good cornerback. This is only a modest reach for the Bills as most mock drafters are putting him in the first round, just not the top ten. The main problem with this pick is that CB is a pretty low level need position. Yes, Gilmore started out the year hurt and then struggled when he came back, but it turns out a QB like Gilmore really needs 2 arms. As soon as the club came off, he started looking more and more like his old self. Meanwhile, on the other side, Leodis McKelvin is looking more and more like a starting corner, and less and less like a punt returner. Maybe Cal should have had Buffalo draft a punt returner. Buffalo also signed a surprisingly good UDFA in Nikel Robey, who fits well in the nickel spot. More competition is never a bad thing, but there are other areas where the needs are greater and the values better at ninth overall.
          This mock writer must be predicting that we won't re-sign Gilmore, and it's not an unrealistic assumption.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

As a first round pick, Gilmore was signed to a four year deal, with an option for a fifth. He's just completed his second year. He's in the fold for at least two more years and maybe a third.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• TigerJ
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
              Why do even bother?
              Mainly for entertainment value (mine).

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
                I think he was referring to the author of the mock, not you.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• stuckincincy
                  Buffalo Bills Fan
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
                  This is an entertaining Idiot draft. It had CIN picking behemoth DT Louis Nix. He may be a good prospect, but far, far away from that team's style of DL play. Then had them taking SS Ahmad Dixon from Baylor in the 2nd.

For a team with an injured CB Hall, aging corner backs PacMan and injured and aged Terrance Newman. A willing but aged S in Chris Crocker. LT Whitworth aging. LT Collins probably becoming a hot FA commodity.

Keep 'em coming!
                  Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                    I think he was referring to the author of the mock, not you.
                    I think you're right. Oh well. I also do these awards so you can feel better about the mocks you do.

Comment

• tatersalad
                      • Apr 2008

ealsy is a first round pick love to get him in 2

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by tatersalad View Post
                        ealsy is a first round pick love to get him in 2
                        I agree with you that he's a first round talent, but you have to factor in the ACL somehow. The fact that he's had two major ACL injuries in the same knee makes him a health risk, particularly with the fact that it takes him completely out of the pre-draft physical evaluation process.

Comment

Working...
                        X