• Yasgur's Farm
    • Feb 2005

More Support for...

EJ to be able to continue his journey///

• MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: More Support for...

It scares me how fans that pine for a huge question mark at QB, it's been our biggest Achilles heal. Lets all fall in love with whoever wears the jersey, gets injured 3 times in one season (2 different knees) & yet he's going to save the team. The branch that all of you walk out on that do this will hardly support the weight. I'd look for an additional alternative before committing your soul to EJ if I were you guys, him being "the one" seems unlikely.
    Last edited by Skooby; 02-18-2014, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
      It scares me how fans that pine for a huge question mark at QB, it's been our biggest Achilles heal. Lets all fall in love with whoever wears the jersey, gets injured 3 times in one season (2 different knees) & yet he's going to save the team. The branch that all of you walk out on that do this will hardly support the weight. I'd look for an additional alternative before committing your soul to EJ if I were you guys, him being "the one" seems unlikely.
      Here's the problem: fans HAVE to believe that, because if it's not true, then we still need a QB and will still struggle until we find him

Realistically, though, I don't know why anyone thinks EJ won't be given more time. I get the concerns about both his play and his durability, and they are legitimate concerns. But first, the org invested a 1st round pick in him, and second, they threw him to the wolves in a position with a notoriously high learning curve with questionable WR's and a mediocre OL. And finally, who are we going to get that's better? Even if they wanted to replace him, there are no franchise QB's available via FA or trade (Cutler is NOT a franchise QB- if he was they wouldn't be considering trading him), and we are not drafting high enough to get a top prospect.

Sure, we could mortgage the future to move up and take a chance on one of the top QB's, but that's even more risky than sticking with EJ and ignores the reality of glaring holes at other positions.

So, all we can do is hope that EJ's the guy. Remember, hope is different from expectations.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
        Skoobasaurus-Rex
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
        Here's the problem: fans HAVE to believe that, because if it's not true, then we still need a QB and will still struggle until we find him

Realistically, though, I don't know why anyone thinks EJ won't be given more time. I get the concerns about both his play and his durability, and they are legitimate concerns. But first, the org invested a 1st round pick in him, and second, they threw him to the wolves in a position with a notoriously high learning curve with questionable WR's and a mediocre OL. And finally, who are we going to get that's better? Even if they wanted to replace him, there are no franchise QB's available via FA or trade (Cutler is NOT a franchise QB- if he was they wouldn't be considering trading him), and we are not drafting high enough to get a top prospect.

Sure, we could mortgage the future to move up and take a chance on one of the top QB's, but that's even more risky than sticking with EJ and ignores the reality of glaring holes at other positions.

So, all we can do is hope that EJ's the guy. Remember, hope is different from expectations.
        The world is going to end for sure now, where the F is that asteroid at ?

Comment

• alohabillsfan
          • Sep 2003

If we don't draft a QB in the first 3 rounds then this franchise is just stupid.

Comment

• bleve
            • Mar 2005

There are those that say, they've seen enough and we should look for other options, and there are those that concede EJ did not impress, but needs the proper amount of time to develop. I don't think anyone's "in love" with EJ.

I don't pretend to evaluate QB's for a living, but I do know that reps are important to the quarterback's timing, and mechanics. Those reps were missing last year. Give him a full off season, and the proper amount of reps in OTA's and spring training, then see what shakes out in the first five games or so.

And having a backup plan is a good idea, but as mentioned, there ain't nothing out there.
            "You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."
            ~ Frank Zappa

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
              • Feb 2005

Look... It's simple...

We've invested in him. The best case scenario is that he continues to grow toward being the solution. And the stats show that he compares well with both historical and most recent rookie starters...

Worst case scenario is that he busts... And, in spite of what the "he's already a bust" crew says, it's simply not supported by facts.

So... As I've stated before... I want to save our highest draft picks in 2014 to fill holes and build a supporting structure. That way, it's all in place for either EJ to continue with in 2015, or for the 2015 drafted QB to begin to grow with... If EJ doesn't contribute to the Bills winning at least 9 games in 2014, I'm on board with drafting the best QB we can get in 2015.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                Skoobasaurus-Rex
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
                Look... It's simple...

We've invested in him. The best case scenario is that he continues to grow toward being the solution. And the stats show that he compares well with both historical and most recent rookie starters...

Worst case scenario is that he busts... And, in spite of what the "he's already a bust" crew says, it's simply not supported by facts.

So... As I've stated before... I want to save our highest draft picks in 2014 to fill holes and build a supporting structure. That way, it's all in place for either EJ to continue with in 2015, or for the 2015 drafted QB to begin to grow with... If EJ doesn't contribute to the Bills winning at least 9 games in 2014, I'm on board with drafting the best QB we can get in 2015.
                Going for broke leaves you broke more often than not & our QB position is so far from secured it's scarey. I'm not saying to throw EJ away by any means, I'm saying lets invest another early pick in the QB position. If EJ stays healthy & gets it clicking then it's all great. If one of his knees gives out again, we can put the new early pick in & watch him run around for a while EJ gets healthy.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by alohabillsfan View Post
                  If we don't draft a QB in the first 3 rounds then this franchise is just stupid.
                  Or draft people to play around EJ and get a true evaluation of the guy, and if he fails draft one next year.

EJ was going to get this year no matter what and probably the 2015 season as well. If he falters in 2014 then I say draft a guy in 2015 draft to compete with EJ and see what happens. This happened with San Diego when they had Brees and then drafted Rivers.

I personally would rather use this draft to get talent on both sides of the ball, this is the deepest draft in 20 years and we could be able to get third round guys in round 5 and rond 4 5 guys in round 7, and probably draftable guys as UDFAs.

Lets get as much young talent as we can.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                    • Feb 2005

Going for broke leaves you broke more often than not & our QB position is so far from secured it's scarey. I'm not saying to throw EJ away by any means, I'm saying lets invest another early pick in the QB position. If EJ stays healthy & gets it clicking then it's all great. If one of his knees gives out again, we can put the new early pick in & watch him run around for a while EJ gets healthy.
                    How can you say that waiting until 2015 is "going for broke"? One could argue that drafting another high round QB in 2014 is going for broke... Especially when we have at least 3 obvious holes to fill. 2015 is the logical time period to make this decision!

Comment

• cookie G
                      • Mar 2003

Look... It's simple...

I'm sorry, but how does he compare "well"?

Looking at the first stat, the net yards/att....he's ahead of Gabbert, Glennon and Ponder. In case you hadn't heard, Ponder and Gabbert are being replaced...not sure on Glennon, but he's iffy at best. He's below Weeden, who is also going to be replaced, and Geno Smith, who few claim had a stellar rookie year.

He's actually far below people like Newton, RGIII and Wilson...like several yards below. Nonetheless, the article claims he's slightly below the middle of the pack. When you translate that, it means, "below average".

When you go through the stats, except for completion percentage, just about everything is below average. You can argue that his TD/INT percentage is good...but the man only threw 11 TD passes. THAT'S well below average...and far closer to Trent Edwards land than Russell Wilson land.

If anything, that article paints a pretty bleak picture...realizing how far behind the curve he really is.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                        • Jun 2024

... If EJ doesn't contribute to the Bills winning at least 9 games in 2014, I'm on board with drafting the best QB we can get in 2015.
                        That is too high a bar.
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-18-2014, 04:40 PM.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                          Escaped Convict
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
                          Or draft people to play around EJ and get a true evaluation of the guy, and if he fails draft one next year.
                          Here's the problem with that:

EJs two biggest problems are inaccuracy and injuries.

It doesn't matter who you put around him, those two don't change.

Comment

• Swiper
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2010

The people around him were fine. Big Ben would have taken that offense deep into the play-offs. The notion that that offense wasn't good enough is pure bull.

Comment

• Turf
                              • Jul 2002

Aside from EJ staying healthy, which is highly unlikely, I have yet to see him thread a few passes with some force into very tight spots for completions. I've seen just the opposite, where he can't hit wide open people or throw a sideline route. Until I see that, my hopes for him are dashed.
                              Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

Working...
                              X