Will BUf be in the market for an RB in the draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Will BUf be in the market for an RB in the draft?

BUF led the league with 546 rush attempts. Did good with that, too - 2nd in the league in gross rush yards, high in first downs, yet the team was low in third down conversions:

I don't know that low figure was spread between pass/run plays.

It's a yearly item of discussion if Fred finally hits the "wall', and if Spiller stops blowing hot and cold, how he's utilized, and last season if he was injured, or if he more or less a one-trick pony.

Roster space eater Wingo was active for 2 games, 1 rush for 4 yards and 1 reception for 2 yards.

So - do you think that BUF will spend a pick on rb depth? Is this the season Fred is washed up? Did the league figure out CJ, or was it injury?
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Re: Will BUf be in the market for an RB in the draft?

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
    BUF led the league with 546 rush attempts. Did good with that, too - 2nd in the league in gross rush yards, high in first downs, yet the team was low in third down conversions:

I don't know that low figure was spread between pass/run plays.

It's a yearly item of discussion if Fred finally hits the "wall', and if Spiller stops blowing hot and cold, how he's utilized, and last season if he was injured, or if he more or less a one-trick pony.

Roster space eater Wingo was active for 2 games, 1 rush for 4 yards and 1 reception for 2 yards.

So - do you think that BUF will spend a pick on rb depth? Is this the season Fred is washed up? Did the league figure out CJ, or was it injury?
    I think they should consider one in amid-round. Will they? Maybe not. I'd like to see a bigger bruising back with decent speed. I like Carlos Hyde but he'll go to high.

Comment

• stuckincincy
      Buffalo Bills Fan
      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
      I think they should consider one in amid-round. Will they? Maybe not. I'd like to see a bigger bruising back with decent speed. I like Carlos Hyde but he'll go to high.
      I also think they will have their eyes open in the 3rd and the 4th for one. Their #9 slotting gives them a lot of flexibility to dicker for an additional pick if they favor this or that rb.

IMO, they need to get one of their choice, despite the talk saying that rbs are easy to find. Fred's older, has his injury history. Spiller has his own injury thing, as well as folks noting about limitations in his game, i.e, great burst through the middle when the middle opens up, but not a sideline run runner that dekes defenders. IMO, of course.
      Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
        • Nov 2007

i don't know if they will, but they certainly should

freddy just turned 33. and cj can opt out of his contract after this season if i'm not mistaken. so yes, they absolutely need to take one somewhere. (not first round dammit)

sorry. freddie turns 33 tomorrow. he didn't turn 33 yet.
        I came.
        I saw.
        I conquered.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

They should be. Take a shot on Grice, Neal or Wilder Jr in the mid rounds.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• k-oneputt
            • Jun 2009

Knowing the Bills they will probably waste a pick on a running back.

Comment

• BillsFever21
              • Aug 2004

They should be looking for one in the middle rounds. I could handle the 3rd round if he was a great talent that fell in the draft. If not then more like the 4th round. We need insurance and we need to be ahead of the game for once. If they took one before the 3rd round I would blow a gasket though.

Jackson was limping around all season and just turned 33 years old. I'm completely shocked he didn't miss any games last season like the previous two years. It's highly doubtful that will happen again. If he's lucky he has one more good season in him.

This will also most likely be Spiller's last season unless we sign him to a contract extension. As much as I like him he's not an every down RB though and is also prone to injuries. I'm sure he will opt out because RB's literally have one shot at a big guaranteed money after their rookie deals. He won't be any exception. If he's looking for huge money then it's not worth keeping him. A deal slightly higher then Reggie Bush would be sufficient for him. If he wanted Marshawn Lynch type money then you need to let him walk. That kind of money should only be given to durable RB's that can carry the load and find the end zone on a regular basis. Spiller has been neither since we've drafted him.

Even IF we re-signed Spiller he still can't do it on his own. In fact nobody could with how much we rely on the running game. Either way we would need a starter or a compliment to split carries with Spiller after this season. I would rather get one this year and get him some playing time when the inevitable happens that Jackson and/or Spiller gets dinged up again. Come 2015 he could possibly be our starter or a compliment to Spiller or even possibly another RB. I would rather have one to step in ready to go when that time comes. Then at the very worse they are a good insurance policy for this year if/when Jackson or Spiller misses some time.

Comment

• cookie G
                • Mar 2003

maybe Seattle will be willing to part with Lynch for a 4th rounder..

Never does get old..

Comment

• BillsFever21
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                  maybe Seattle will be willing to part with Lynch for a 4th rounder..

Never does get old..
                  What a pathetic trade that was. Nothing like trading a Pro Bowl RB for a 4th round draft pick. Hell even the Browns got a 1st round pick back for Trent Richardson and he sucked for the first 20+ games of his career.

It was even worse using another top 10 draft pick for his replacement just two years after drafting him. Hell Lynch had as many rushing TD's in his first season with Seattle as Spiller does in his 4 years in Buffalo.

If the Bills didn't want Lynch and Lynch didn't want to be here is one thing. To trade him for a bag of peanuts is another. Sure worked out for Seattle though.
                  Last edited by BillsFever21; 02-19-2014, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• Mace
                    Haha...yeah you think so ?
                    • Mar 2013

I sure hope they don't waste their time, imho. You can find them in UDFA, decent backs are not rare. Glorious ones are, sure, but what Glorious ones lead their team to glory. If you look at Joique Bell, seems Philly is happy having him in their bunch. A real stud RB (not saying Bell is) is frosting on your cake, but not the cake and they flow into the NFL yearly. If they run out of them next year it's not like there won't be 5 fresh ones with wondrous stats next year.

Regarding Marshawn Lynch.....I think I don't see him as what got Seattle to the top, think he would have imploded if he had to be and it wouldn't have gone anywhere. He was a piece, and had a team around him. Build the team first or you get Jones-Drew, Peterson, CJ2K spearheading what, besides contract renegotiations and salary cap issues ?

No rb's, tyvm.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                      I sure hope they don't waste their time, imho. You can find them in UDFA, decent backs are not rare. Glorious ones are, sure, but what Glorious ones lead their team to glory. If you look at Joique Bell, seems Philly is happy having him in their bunch. A real stud RB (not saying Bell is) is frosting on your cake, but not the cake and they flow into the NFL yearly. If they run out of them next year it's not like there won't be 5 fresh ones with wondrous stats next year.

Regarding Marshawn Lynch.....I think I don't see him as what got Seattle to the top, think he would have imploded if he had to be and it wouldn't have gone anywhere. He was a piece, and had a team around him. Build the team first or you get Jones-Drew, Peterson, CJ2K spearheading what, besides contract renegotiations and salary cap issues ?

No rb's, tyvm.
                      Last I checked Bell plays in Detroit and sad fact is the Bills had the guy in camp and cut him but I agree to me RBs is the one position on the field that you don't need a world beater to be a great athlete for as the list of great ones who were later picks is endless

Comment

• jimmifli
                        • Nov 2006

The name of the game is rookie contracts. The more roster spots you can fill with guys that are still on their rookie deals the more money is left for star players and re-signing the performers.

There is no way we should have three RBs that are being paid. The third stringer needs to be on a league minimum deal. I'd rather see us trade down and fill out the roster with cheap guys. So sure, mid to late round pick on a RB that likes hitting people is fine with me.

Comment

Working...
                        X