X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DesertFox24
    • Jul 2005

Doug Marrone Comment on Imposing will in running game

This is really not any news to anyone that he likes tall big OL as evident by the types of guys that were brought in.

However, I think Doug Marrone kind of gave us an indicator of what he may be looking at from the TE position. I think they want a big guy who can run block but also has soft hands. They are not looking for a Vernon Davis type in my opinion.

I honestly think they are high on Austin Sefarin Jenkins and Troy Niklas and I think that one of these guys will be available in the second round.

Ebron Jenkins, Amaro, Niklas are the top 4 and I think we will have a shot at one of them in round 2.

Another option to look at is Crockett Gilmore from Colorado State, if you watch his film he is a good run blocker and good catcher.

I am starting to think pick 9 will be a defensive front 7 guy. They are good at DT, but behind Mario and Jerry are short at End and could use more LB depth.

I would expect a LB and DE to be added via FA and a OT to be added via FA.

I think they legitimately like the 3 young guards they have but will look to draft an OT later and cross train them for guard and tackle.

I also expect at some point another boundary corner will be added.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes none of this is earth shattering but trying to read between the lines I think he wants more of a run blocker at TE instead of a seam stretcher and that is why I started the post.
  • JoeMama
    Emotion Sickness
    • Oct 2002

Re: Doug Marrone Comment on Imposing will in running game

Uh ok... but is there an actual Doug Marrone comment related to this?
    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• DesertFox24
      • Jul 2005

My bad I forgot to post the article from Tim Graham

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
        Skoobasaurus-Rex
        • Oct 2011

Sound logic that can be followed, a rare commodity lately.

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

" It's obvious. We're going RB the first 2 rounds ! "

Zone Posse
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• jimmifli
            • Nov 2006

Sounds like he knows he's only got two starters on the line. Now we find out how much his opinion matters

Comment

• cookie G
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
              Sounds like he knows he's only got two starters on the line. Now we find out how much his opinion matters
              The OL was Buddy's doing..he was the dumpster digging American Picker.

Even in training camp, Marrone was complaining about a few positions in the OL..especially teh LG position.

The LG position, as far as run blocking is concerned, got noticeably better when Legursky went in. The problem is, he's not much of a pass blocker, and probably never will be.

It isn't just run blocking though. They found out what it was like when your QB doesn't get rid of the ball in 2.1 seconds. Pears was always smart enough to at least get in someone's way in pass pro, but holding the guy up for more than 2 seconds is...a lot to ask of him.

As far as "imposing your will", there aren't too many lines who can do it on a consistent basis anyway. Not when teams put 8 in the box or something like that. But if it means upgrading the line...I'm all for it.

And it would really help if he told his OC not to base his offense out of a read option when his QB doesn't like carrying the ball. Its a cute offense when you have a QB that actually likes running with the ball.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Sign FA Carimi, who can move inside to guard or play RT in a pinch, for vet depth.

Sign FA Gurode, a legit vet back-up center, who can also back-up both guard positions and play any of them if necessary.

Draft the highest rated OT that drops to #9.

I'd be fine with Sef-Jen in the second, would prefer an MLB, but if they also manage to sign Spikes that could wait a round or two.

O-line fixed.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• GvilleBills
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                  Sign FA Carimi, who can move inside to guard or play RT in a pinch, for vet depth.

Sign FA Gurode, a legit vet back-up center, who can also back-up both guard positions and play any of them if necessary.

Draft the highest rated OT that drops to #9.

I'd be fine with Sef-Jen in the second, would prefer an MLB, but if they also manage to sign Spikes that could wait a round or two.

O-line fixed.
                  Post of the day

A Spikes, Carimi, Gurode FA haul would be awesome.
                  I might go Watkins 1, ASJ in the second. Supposed to be some RT starter material available into the fourth this year.
                  Last edited by GvilleBills; 02-20-2014, 10:42 PM.
                  Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

Comment

• GingerP
                    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by GvilleBills View Post
                    Post of the day

A Spikes, Carimi, Gurode FA haul would be awesome.
                    I might go Watkins 1, ASJ in the second. Supposed to be some RT starter material available into the fourth this year.
                    Carimi already signed with Atlanta (where Mike Tice, who drafted him, is the OL coach). He didn't have to wait to sign a FA deal, since he was cut by Tampa.

I'm not sure why people think Carimi is any good. Yeah, he was drafted high, but 2 separate teams have given up on him now and he is no sure bet to make it in Atlanta. They got him for a minimum salary and a $65K signing bonus, with a $850K cap number. Tampa played him at G some and they still gave up on him, so it isn't just his position. If you really want the Bills to upgrade their OL, they need to bring in someone with a track record of success, not a guy who has been a bust in the hopes that the light finally comes on for him.

I guess there is no problem signing Gurode as a backup, since he is versatile enough to back up at any of the 3 inside positions, as long as the money is near-minimum. However, that doesn't do anything to really "fix" their OL. They need starters. Gurode will be 35 in a month, so he could be done some time soon.
                    Last edited by GingerP; 02-21-2014, 05:36 AM.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

On D, we are a MLB away from imposing our will.

On O we aren't even close. We are at least two OL, a true #1 WR and a pass-catching TE away from imposing will.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• sukie
                        Seriously?
                        • Sep 2012

Wasting a picka t 9 on Oline would be a franchise disaster. Trade down if you want oline and gain a pick. 9 is too high for a lineman you won't afford in 4 years.

Comment

• jimmifli
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                          The OL was Buddy's doing..he was the dumpster digging American Picker.

Even in training camp, Marrone was complaining about a few positions in the OL..especially teh LG position.
                          Whaley had a few quotes recently about the oline having talent already on the roster. I hope it's draft smoke.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

If OL is deep in this draft from what I'm reading ,I would rather get a stud ILB if available.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Bill Cody
                              • Sep 2004

It would be cool if this team ever got to the point where you're thinking you didn't need to hit home runs on like 5 picks for the team to have a chance. I favor a modest trade down of a few spots to get another pick. If you could grab another 2nd like lasy year that would be huge.

Comment

Working...
                              X