PDA

View Full Version : Are fast WR's important? Check this stat...

X-Era
02-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Check this stat from NFL.com In last 5 years, 15 WRs have run sub-4.4 40. Mike Wallace is only one with a 1,000-yard season.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2000000326466/mindblowing-stats-for-the-2014-nfl-scouting-combine

---------------------

Yet we coveted speed in the Marrone regime so far...

Seems to say WR's that can make plays after catching the ball, get separation, play physical, and make the tough grabs are more successful.

It's an interesting stat.

Before we go jumping off the Watkins bandwagon and on to the Evans train consider that Watkins averaged 9.71 yards after the catch. That's an incredible number. He doesn't use his speed to get open, he uses his speed to make plays with the ball in his hands.

The Jokeman
02-20-2014, 04:10 PM
I'm pretty sure Megatron ran a 4.33 forty which is outstanding for a guy his size. Also am pretty sure that Julio Jones ran a sub 4.3 and had it not been for injury would have had a great year. That said forty speed alone doesn't measure great WRs as everyone knows about Jerry Rice's poor forty. As it's short area quickness and ability to separate after an initial bump which makes great WRs. That said I'm not in love of Watkins like most here. As I can't see him or any rookie WRs making a big impact with our top pick. As to me WRs is one of the hardest positions to learn and make an impact as a rookie. For every Keenan Allen you can rattle off Cordarrelle Patterson, Robert Woods or even Tavon Austin. All of which had good rookie seasons but hardly impacts on their teams. That's why am calling for us to sign a veteran, let Robert Woods and Goodwin/Graham further develop. As if you're asking me today with no free agents sign what position picked could we expect a rookie have the most impact on the 2014 squad I'd go by the position of OT or LB and thankfully it looks like we could get one of them if stay put at 9.

X-Era
02-20-2014, 04:21 PM
I'm pretty sure Megatron ran a 4.33 forty which is outstanding for a guy his size. Also am pretty sure that Julio Jones ran a sub 4.3 and had it not been for injury would have had a great year. That said forty speed alone doesn't measure great WRs as everyone knows about Jerry Rice's poor forty. As it's short area quickness and ability to separate after an initial bump which makes great WRs. That said I'm not in love of Watkins like most here. As I can't see him or any rookie WRs making a big impact with our top pick. As to me WRs is one of the hardest positions to learn and make an impact as a rookie. For every Keenan Allen you can rattle off Cordarrelle Patterson, Robert Woods or even Tavon Austin. All of which had good rookie seasons but hardly impacts on their teams. That's why am calling for us to sign a veteran, let Robert Woods and Goodwin/Graham further develop. As if you're asking me today with no free agents sign what position picked could we expect a rookie have the most impact on the 2014 squad I'd go by the position of OT or LB and thankfully it looks like we could get one of them if stay put at 9.Calvin Johnson was drafted in 07 (more than 5 years ago).

On Julio Jones, you are right and they are wrong. He ran an official 4.39 and posted a 1000+ yard season in 2012.

BillsFever21
02-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Great speed is nice to have but it doesn't mean anything if you can't play the position, beat press coverage, run good routes, create separation and make tough catches. If not then they are mainly good to help stretch the field for the guys that can with an occasional big play from them.

There are plenty of guys who can run fast but they just aren't good at the position. Many of the fastest guys are just one trick ponies like Lee Evans was. It's the guys that still have decent speed but can do many of the other things are the one's who make the best WR's.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-20-2014, 05:41 PM
Are fast WR's important? Yes. The real question is whether the 40 is the best measure of that speed.

YardRat
02-20-2014, 06:16 PM
Speed WR's function in the offense isn't to post big numbers, and it's not surprising that very few of them do.

They are supposed to draw coverage, back off the shell and under coverage, make the occasional big play. Open things up for the WR's that are supposed to put up big numbers, and the running game.

Are they important? Hell, yes, but their importance isn't going to be fairly judged if one is only looking at statistics.

X-Era
02-20-2014, 06:31 PM
Speed WR's function in the offense isn't to post big numbers, and it's not surprising that very few of them do.

They are supposed to draw coverage, back off the shell and under coverage, make the occasional big play. Open things up for the WR's that are supposed to put up big numbers, and the running game.

Are they important? Hell, yes, but their importance isn't going to be fairly judged if one is only looking at statistics.
Better yet, scroll to the bottom of the article and many folks who responded pointed out how the reported stat was BS. Just makes the point that you can't trust the media... yet again.

stuckincincy
02-21-2014, 04:34 AM
When it comes to just pure speed, it's more important for a defensive back. The offense owns the snap count, so receivers have the edge getting out of the block, and defenders have to make up ground. It most always goes beyond speed, of course - moves, beating the block ,making the block, shifty feet, eyes off the qb then eyes on the qb etc.

justasportsfan
02-21-2014, 09:04 AM
Until EJ improves on his decision/reads and deep ball accuracy , fast receivers are useless on this team. Kinda like TO was useless with Trent at qb.

Mouldsie
02-21-2014, 09:09 PM
Weight, age at the time of college breakout (younger = better), share of college offensive production, and height are the best indicators of success at the WR position according to some interesting analysis on rotoviz. I believe they had Allen Robinson as one of the best prospects according to the formula... it's been said the Bills are high on him and he is not projected as highly right now as some other guys.