PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper has left the building

Albany,n.y.
02-21-2014, 08:54 AM
Mel Kiper is no longer publishing his draft report. I got this e-mail today.

Mel Kiper Draft Report 2014
Last April marked the 35th edition of the Draft Report. After much deliberation and thought, we just recently made the decision to no longer publish any reports pertaining to the NFL Draft. My player rankings, mock first round projections, and other draft related information is available on ESPN.com through "ESPN Insider".

We can't thank you enough for your loyalty and support over the years. Without it, I would have never been able to turn my passion into a fulfilling and tremendously enjoyable career. It was your enthusiasm for the draft and football in general that made the Draft Report and our other publications a true labor of love for me. I wish you nothing but the best and who knows, maybe down the road I will decide to publish the Draft Report once again.

Take Care,

Mel

The King
02-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Translation. I get paid a lot more money to be on tv.

Albany,n.y.
02-21-2014, 09:48 AM
I take it as another sign that printed publications like this are becoming extinct. Everything is on-line these days. He probably wasn't making much money selling individual reports, printing & shipping them, or even sending the individual reports as e-files. Last year we lost Pro Football Weekly & their publications. In 2007 The Sporting News stopped publishing their annual Pro Football Guide. It's just the way things are in the 21st century.

Night Train
02-21-2014, 02:38 PM
I like Mel, who answered the phone in his kitchen years back to take my order.

That being said, I've been buying Ourlads for years. It's just better.

Albany,n.y.
02-21-2014, 05:09 PM

That being said, I've been buying Ourlads for years. It's just better.

I like Mel because one year my draft report came with a page missing. I called his number & left a message asking for a copy of the missing page & a few days later a brand new report arrived. I ended up copying the page & giving the 1st report to a friend.

One year I called Dave Te' Thomas to order his report & he was on the phone with me for about 45 minutes telling me all sorts of stuff like he got really sick, almost died & his wife left him. I think he was feeling down that day & a call from a football fan picked him up.

TigerJ
02-22-2014, 07:59 AM
Translation. I get paid a lot more money to be on tv.I've never paid out the money to get his draft publications, but I would bear him no ill will for this decision if I had. He has the perfect right to do what is best for him and his family.

Meathead
02-22-2014, 08:06 AM

you bought pot from mel kiper?

Night Train
02-22-2014, 08:43 AM
you bought pot from mel kiper?

Meth..I said "Kitchen"

feldspar
02-22-2014, 01:28 PM

LOL, I pictured you ordering some chicken wings from chef Mel.

Explain...tell the story. Sounds interesting.

DynaPaul
02-22-2014, 05:28 PM
His report was about as useful as toilet paper or kindling anyway.

feldspar
02-22-2014, 06:05 PM
His report was about as useful as toilet paper or kindling anyway.

Yeah, but so is this message board.

It's just entertainment.

Kiper is good at what he does IMO.

DynaPaul
02-23-2014, 12:18 PM
Yeah, but so is this message board.

It's just entertainment.

Kiper is good at what he does IMO.

This is true but none of us are "experts" or touted as such.

feldspar
02-23-2014, 01:15 PM
This is true but none of us are "experts" or touted as such.

Kiper IS an expert, dude. He knows everything about hundreds of these guys every year. His memory about it is quite staggering.

Just because he's wrong about a player doesn't make him less of an expert. It's far from an exact science. If you prefer the word "professional," than use that instead. The guy knows his stuff.

RedEyE
02-23-2014, 02:04 PM
Mayock > Kiper