Whaleys Combine comments... not likely to move down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Whaleys Combine comments... not likely to move down?

Whaley said that he sees it as very unlikely that they won't have a prospect at 9 that they want... Based on their current draft board.

To me that means that unless they get a good offer from below that they see as more valuable than who's sitting there at 9, they are staying put.

Personally, if it's a OT or a TE that you want the most i'd rather move down a bit.

But I'm a huge Ebron fan, and I think Mack, Barr, or Watkins could be there at 9, so I'm fine with staying put as well.

Trade Byrd after franchising him for a pick or picks if you want to capitalize on the deep draft.
    Last edited by X-Era; 02-21-2014, 01:15 PM.

• better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: Whaleys Combine comments... not likely to move down?

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
    Whaley said that he sees it as very unlikely that they won't have a prospect at 9 that they want... Based on their current draft board.

To me that means that unless they get a good offer from below that they see as more valuable than who's sitting there at 9, they are staying put.

Personally, if it's a OT or a TE that you want the most i'd rather move down a bit.

But I'm a huge Ebron fan, and I think Mack, Barr, or Watkins could be there at 9, so I'm fine with staying put as well.

Trade Byrd after franchising him for a pick or picks if you want to capitalize on the deep draft.
    Ebron is a LOW first rnd pick at best.

Comment

• Downinfloflo
      Victimizing The Victimizer
      • Aug 2012

If the Bills take a TE with the 9th pick I'll fly to Buffalo and slap Whaley.

Comment

• X-Era
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by better days View Post
        Ebron is a LOW first rnd pick at best.
        Really disagree. Mid 1st I could see. Not late IMO. And he easily could go in the top 15. He's probably going to have a very good combine.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
          Lets GO BUFFALO!!
          • Jun 2005

Ebron will be somewhere between 8-15

Comment

• DesertFox24
            • Jul 2005

I just do not think Ebron is what they are looking from at the TE position.

I think they believe Moeaki and Gragg are the seam stretchers and if they lose Chandler they want a big body who can run block and catch.

Personally I would take Watkins, but if Watkins is gone I would look at Cyrus or Lewan but I am not a lewan fan personally.

Comment

• X-Era
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
              I just do not think Ebron is what they are looking from at the TE position.

I think they believe Moeaki and Gragg are the seam stretchers and if they lose Chandler they want a big body who can run block and catch.

Personally I would take Watkins, but if Watkins is gone I would look at Cyrus or Lewan but I am not a lewan fan personally.
              At 9 I want the best playmaker we can get. Whether that is a OT or WR I don't care. If it ends up being a OT I would only wonder if we could have gotten a solid starting RT lower in the draft. This draft is deep at OT and the top 3 guys all seem to be LT prospects more than RT.

That's why I like the idea of a big time play-maker like Watkins, Barr, Mack, or even Ebron. If you watch the Heels the games you'll see how special this guy is. And with a QB who likes to check down a lot a receiving TE is ideal. Lee Smith is our blocker. Seferian-Jenkins may be decent at both but he isn't the vertical threat or athlete that Ebron is.

If, and it's a big if, Ebron ends up being like Vernon Davis I would take it at 9 absolutely.

The better question is whether you would skip Watkins, Barr, Mack, or even Ebron to draft a RT. That's a tougher sell for me.

The other piece to the RT issue is Pears and Hairston. Hairston looked decent before missing last year. Pears is due to make 3+ mill in cap space next year. I'd keep Pears even at 3+ mill to battle it out with the rookie. But cutting him may make sense too.
              Last edited by X-Era; 02-21-2014, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Well, we got a LT in the second round, so an RT certainly isn't out of the question.

I don't take anything anybody says at this time of year at face value...feigning non-interest in moving down theoretically drives up the value of #9 to somebody who might want to move up to that spot.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

Another thought on Ebron...

Ebron is 6'4" and 250 now. What happens if he runs faster than Mike Evans at the Combine? We want a possession receiver... is that not what Ebron resprents? The Pats use Gronk a lot for a reason. Work the flat and slot with a receiving TE and you can add the receiving size you're looking for. Hell, if he runs as fast as some think he will we could even line him up outside sometimes.
                  Last edited by X-Era; 02-21-2014, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Another thought on Ebron...

Ebron is 6'4" and 250 now. What happens if he runs faster than Mike Evans at the Combine? We want a possession receiver... is that not what Ebron resprents? The Pats use Gronk a lot for a reason. Work the flat and slot with a receiving TE and you can add the receiving size you're looking for. Hell, if he runs as fast as some think he will we could even line him up outside sometimes.
                    What good is speed when he drops the ball?

Comment

• DesertFox24
                      • Jul 2005

At 9 I want the best playmaker we can get. Whether that is a OT or WR I don't care. If it ends up being a OT I would only wonder if we could have gotten a solid starting RT lower in the draft. This draft is deep at OT and the top 3 guys all seem to be LT prospects more than RT.

That's why I like the idea of a big time play-maker like Watkins, Barr, Mack, or even Ebron. If you watch the Heels the games you'll see how special this guy is. And with a QB who likes to check down a lot a receiving TE is ideal. Lee Smith is our blocker. Seferian-Jenkins may be decent at both but he isn't the vertical threat or athlete that Ebron is.

If, and it's a big if, Ebron ends up being like Vernon Davis I would take it at 9 absolutely.

The better question is whether you would skip Watkins, Barr, Mack, or even Ebron to draft a RT. That's a tougher sell for me.

The other piece to the RT issue is Pears and Hairston. Hairston looked decent before missing last year. Pears is due to make 3+ mill in cap space next year. I'd keep Pears even at 3+ mill to battle it out with the rookie. But cutting him may make sense too.
                      Oh I agree completely I am huge best player available guy.

My points where I am not sure Ebron is the type of guy they are looking for, but it could all be smoke screens like the Glenn not being a LT and not liking Manual.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                        • Jul 2005

I am huge Ebron fan for what it is worth by the way and I would be very happy if he is our pick.

I really like Stevie and Robert woods and I think Goodwin and Graham are good 3 and 4 WRs, adding a guy like Ebron would not only answer the big tall threat but also be the big tall guy we need in the red zone.

Trust me I would love him and he is taller and bigger than davis

Comment

• OLDSRIP
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                          Well, we got a LT in the second round, so an RT certainly isn't out of the question.

I don't take anything anybody says at this time of year at face value...feigning non-interest in moving down theoretically drives up the value of #9 to somebody who might want to move up to that spot.
                          Really, no one tells the truth right now. It's misdirection at its finest this time of the year.
                          the GM's big poker game.

Comment

• jimmifli
                            • Nov 2006

"We doubt there will be a player worth the 9th pick and we'd like to trade out of the spot, but it's unlikely anybody would be dumb enough to trade up for the guys that are still left on the board"
                            said no GM ever.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
                              "We doubt there will be a player worth the 9th pick and we'd like to trade out of the spot, but it's unlikely anybody would be dumb enough to trade up for the guys that are still left on the board"
                              said no GM ever.
                              Buddy might have if he stuck around for another year.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X