Kiko on the move to OLB? Seems to be headed that way...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Kiko on the move to OLB? Seems to be headed that way...

Could Kiko Alonso change positions next season, moving from middle to weak-side linebacker? It sounds like that might be on the team's mind.

Schwartz likely wants a bigger run stuffer for the MLB spot...cough-Spikes-cough.

Whaley seems to be echoing that Kiko may be better at OLB.

• DesertFox24
    • Jul 2005

Re: Kiko on the move to OLB? Seems to be headed that way...

I do not have a problem with bring in a better run defender for the MIKE spot but Spikes is a huge coverage liability. I wonder if they try to fill this need via the draft and see if the new can do it this year and if not keep Kiko at the MLB. Then in 2015 hopefully said rook can take over

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

I really should be getting paid as a consultant for the team.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

Myself and many others have been posting this idea for months. We were gashed between the tackles in the run game.

Kiko is more effective when taking angles and not taking everyone head on. He's very fast in short areas and would be tough to block off the end. OLB for his own good so he's not beat up after 1 contract. Love the guys hustle.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
          Myself and many others have been posting this idea for months. We were gashed between the tackles in the run game.

Kiko is more effective when taking angles and not taking everyone head on. He's very fast in short areas and would be tough to block off the end. OLB for his own good so he's not beat up after 1 contract. Love the guys hustle.
          You, Yardie, and others have been. It makes sense. Especially now that Schwartz and a more run stuffing minded D is here. The possible downside would be Kiko not being as effective overall as he was this past year. But Whaley is saying he thinks he could be even better.

Comment

• Turf
            • Jul 2002

So when I got flamed for saying Kiko looked too small for the middle, I was right. He's perfect for the outside.
            Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• jimmifli
              • Nov 2006

I'd love to see two new LBs. Put Spikes in the middle and move Kiko outside. Then add a real pass rushing LB.

I know some people are OK with Hughes, but given our Dline, he's unblocked or only has a RB to beat on so many of his plays. A real pass rushing threat at LB would put opposing offenses in a very tough spot.

If Mack falls to us, as much as I would like to see us go Oline in the 1st, I think he adds a threat we haven't seen here in a few years. At the very least, one side of the ball would be entertaining to watch.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                Skoobasaurus-Rex
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
                I'd love to see two new LBs. Put Spikes in the middle and move Kiko outside. Then add a real pass rushing LB.

I know some people are OK with Hughes, but given our Dline, he's unblocked or only has a RB to beat on so many of his plays. A real pass rushing threat at LB would put opposing offenses in a very tough spot.

If Mack falls to us, as much as I would like to see us go Oline in the 1st, I think he adds a threat we haven't seen here in a few years. At the very least, one side of the ball would be entertaining to watch.
                I think Mack would probably force opposing teams to gameplan for the pain, he'd make sure anyone running wouldn't just get tackled but planted. Those seeds pay dividends, every time a RBI gets a call to get the ball.

Comment

• Mace
                  Haha...yeah you think so ?
                  • Mar 2013

I'll happily go against the grain and say I think it's a woeful idea because he's good at being a MLB which is more than run stuffing because you have defensive linemen incapable of learning how to. He also called the defensive signals and adjustments as a rookie, and I'd say the results speak for themselves.

Alonso is 6'3", 238, which just flatly isn't too small not even considering he's been described as a gym rat, just went into a pro weight training regimen and is likely to add another 5 lbs of rock, easily.

Among MLBs, considering Fletcher, Vilma, Harris, Beason, Kuechly, Poz, Urlacher, Ryans, Mayo, Lewis, and Willis from recently, the only one he's not within 10 lbs of is the tanklike Urlacher, who showed a huffing inability to keep up with the evolving game as his career declined into injuries anyway.

IMHO, you force your 4 defensive lineman to start comprehending they need to tackle running backs too, and get a 3 down pure OLB to go along with him, like Barr, Mosely, or Mack.

To me, Alonso is just fine there in the middle and in the weight room.
                  Last edited by Mace; 02-21-2014, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• JoeMama
                    Emotion Sickness
                    • Oct 2002

I'd be interested to hear how Kiko Alonso feels about sliding to the outside.

He's shown such good instincts and play-making ability in the middle, I'm a little concerned about losing him there.

BUT...

If he can apply pressure and be a disruptive OLB, that's one of the best assets you can have on defense.

I'll sit back and see how this unfolds. No judgment yet.

Worst case scenario: it doesn't pan out as intended, we can slide him back inside.

We have some smart, competent men on our coaching staff. If they can use Kiko in some clever way... no harm no foul.
                    Last edited by JoeMama; 02-21-2014, 07:26 PM.
                    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• jimmifli
                      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                      I'd be interested to hear how Kiko Alonso feels about sliding to the outside.

He's shown such good instincts and play-making ability in the middle, I'm a little concerned about losing him there.

BUT...

If he can apply pressure and be a disruptive OLB, that's one of the best assets you can have on defense.

I'll sit back and see how this unfolds. No judgment yet.

Worst case scenario: it doesn't pan out as intended and we can slide him back inside.

We have some smart, competent men on our coaching staff. If they can use Kiko in some clever way, I guess no harm no foul.
                      I think 3WR is base offense for most teams now, so for most plays there wouldn't be a change. That's why a guy like Spikes would fit so well. He only plays the run, the rest of the time we're in nickel anyways.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Kiko has already demonstrated his football smarts. The position change won't hurt him- his smaller size and speed are better suited for OLB anyway. I have no problem with this, provided the FO can come up with a true MLB this off- season. We don't have anyone else who can handle it at the moment.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mace
                          Haha...yeah you think so ?
                          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                          Kiko has already demonstrated his football smarts. The position change won't hurt him- his smaller size and speed are better suited for OLB anyway. I have no problem with this, provided the FO can come up with a true MLB this off- season. We don't have anyone else who can handle it at the moment.
                          Ok, but so then you have a new guy call the defensive signals and adjustments as a rookie because his maybe is better than your proven who probably added 5 lbs from weight training and weighs same as he does anyway ?

I listed a bunch of LB's size wise, besides 70's mlb's, I'm not sure what anyone thinks a true mlb is ? Kuechly seems a standard ? Alonso weighs 3 lbs more.

Comment

• Mouldsie
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post

Mack wont make it but if he does it would be an utter failure to pass on him. Incredible player right in our own back yard

Comment

• Mouldsie
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                              I think Mack would probably force opposing teams to gameplan for the pain, he'd make sure anyone running wouldn't just get tackled but planted. Those seeds pay dividends, every time a RBI gets a call to get the ball.
                              Yup. He has that Kyle Williams attitude that he wants to impose his will on everyone.
                              I'm so happy he's finally getting publicity but it might be too much as he looks like a top 5 pick now!
                              Mack has great athleticism but what really makes him special is he has violent hands and can play all phases of the game.
                              Last edited by Mouldsie; 02-21-2014, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X