How much did or D/STs improve during last season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WG
    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
    • Jul 2002

How much did or D/STs improve during last season?

Yet another article berating our young and inadequate D last year came out today.

"For the better part of 17 weeks last season, betting the "over" on Buffalo games was the closest thing to a sure bet as you can find in the topsy-turvy NFL. The Bills' combination of potent offense and porous defense routinely turned games into track meets. While Drew Bledsoe, Eric Moulds and Peerless Price were piling up points, the defense was giving it all back and then some. Only Cincinnati (456) and Kansas City (399) allowed more points in the AFC than Buffalo (397)."

Is this true?

Let's take a closer look-see!

Over the first 6 games, the Bills as a team put up an average of 32.3 PPG while surrendering an average of 34.0 PPG, so that seems to ring true for the first 6 games.

But what about after that? Is it also true as the media world loves to spin it, that the same trend continued over the last 10 games?

Let's take a closer look-see!

Over the last 10 games, the Bills as a team put up an average of 18.5 PPG while surrendering an average of only 19.3 PPG, which makes that statement over the last 10 games absolute nonsense!

In fact, it clearly shows marked improvement in a D w/ no front 7, little talent on paper at least, and one which was overmatched for most of the season.

Ah, but the cold weather and worse opponents must have had to do with all of that, right? Wrong! That's the way the media, both national and local, like to spin it, but the fact of the matter is that weather was only a factor in two games, the second Miami game and the Green Bay game.

As to strength of opponents, the average records of teams faced in the first 6 games was 7-9 while the average record of teams faced in the last 10 games was 8-8.

Over the first 6 games, the Bills faced only one of the league's top 10 defenses, yet, faced three of the league's top 10 offenses to include the league's top three yardage offenses!

Over the last 10 games, the Bills faced only one of the league's top 10 defenses, yet, played four games vs. the league's top 10 offenses and 6 games vs. teams amongst the league's top 12 scoring offenses!

So what gives? Why all this negativity about how poorly the Bills D played last season?

As I see it, the real reason why the Bills lost games is because the offense didn't show up for the last ten games w/ only one exception, namely that Miami game in the blizzard which was a feast of big plays.

Other than that, the Bills offense only put up more than 20 points twice, once against Detroit, and once against Cincinnati, the league's 31st and 32nd ranked defenses! Big deal!

By contrast, the following teams put up equal to or more points vs. Cincy than we did: San Diego, Atlanta, Tampa, Indy, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Baltimore, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Carolina, and Jacksonville.

The following teams put up equal to or more points vs. Detroit than we did: Miami, Carolina, Green Bay, Minnesota, Green Bay, the Jets, Atlanta, and Minnesota!

But wait, there's more! Against one of the league's worst defenses in Kansas City, the Bills offense under Bledsoe could not even put up more than 16 points! Vs. San Diego, Cincinnati, and Detroit, the Bills' "high powered" offense could not even manage to put up what the rest of the league averaged against those teams!

Something isn't jibing here! We're told that the offense is what carried the team, yet, the actual scores indicate something different over the last two-thirds of the season. Or do the first few games now define the entire '02 season?

Now, did all those teams have a better offense than Buffalo? Many of those teams scored far more points against those two paltry defenses than we did. So why is the defense taking all the hits while Drew and the offense gets a total pass?

That my friends is the question of the 2002 season!

As I see it, if the defense plays this entire season the same as it did over the last 10 games, then according to last season's defensive rankings, the Bills will finish 7th in scoring defense league-wide!

So what on earth are all the people writing this jibberish thinking about? Because they certainly are not doing their homework. What instead is happening is an ongoing love affair with Drew Bledsoe and some big play highlight reels. Because if you measure the actual contributions to winning games over the last 10 games in the traditional sense of putting points on the boards, then the Drew Bledsoe/Kevin Gilbride led offense falls miserably short of contributing with an average performance over those last 10 games, and by-the-way 4 games more than the first 6 games of the season, that would have landed them at 27th in the league in scoring offense on the season.

Those my friends are the facts! It's time for everyone to take the "I love Drew Bledsoe" blinders off, give Jerry Gray some credit for the improvement over the season on defense, and to start criticizing those components of the team that actually failed instead of those "perceived" to have failed!

Here, here Jerry! You have at least one friend in "Bill's Land" that stands behind you and recognizes your contribution to winning games as the season went on! To the rest of the media who simply cannot seem to get their facts straight, it's time to start seeing things as they were, not as you would like to see them!
    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

• Fairway To Green
    • Jul 2002

Re: How much did or D/STs improve during last season?

Originally posted by Wys Guy

So what on earth are all the people writing this jibberish thinking about? Because they certainly are not doing their homework.

You expect journalists to do thier homework.............come on Wys!

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
      • Jul 2002

How about lack of turnovers? Weren't we last in the league at takeaways? Wasn't there an artilce a few days ago that said the Bills had the worst average offensive start position. Something like the Bills had an average start at their own 25 and opponents had an average at their own 40 or so?

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
        • Jul 2002

Great D! 19 takeaways!

The 2002 NFL Postseason Player stat leaders on ESPN. Includes stat leaders in every category from passing and rushing to tackles and interceptions.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
          • Jul 2002

Donahoe lamented: "We have to get more balanced. If you look at us on the stat sheet, we had a quarterback pass for (a team-record 4,359) yards and a running back run for (1,438) yards … yet we have to get more consistent. If we can play better defense we'll be a very productive team."

Buffalo's offense and defense weren't all that mismatched in yardage. The Bills' offense was 11th in yards gained while the defense was a respectable 15th in yardage surrendered.

However, Buffalo was 27th in points allowed and 29th against the run. But those weren't the indicting stats for critics of the Bills' 'D'. The most compelling number was 19 -- the total number of takeaways generated by Buffalo's defense. That's 13 fewer -- almost one a game -- than the average of the 12 teams that made the playoffs.

As a result, the Bills rarely had a short field courtesy of a turnover. In fact, 26 of their 43 offensive touchdowns were scored on drives of 73 yards or longer, while only five possessions started on the opponents' side of midfield.

After watching the offense carry the Bills last year, GM Tom Donahoe spent this offseason upgrading the defense.

Comment

• TypicalBill
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by billsfanone
            How about lack of turnovers? Weren't we last in the league at takeaways? Wasn't there an artilce a few days ago that said the Bills had the worst average offensive start position. Something like the Bills had an average start at their own 25 and opponents had an average at their own 40 or so?
            i agree
            Great D! 19 takeaways!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statis...=afc&year=2002
            yeah, i said i agree
            Donahoe lamented: "We have to get more balanced. If you look at us on the stat sheet, we had a quarterback pass for (a team-record 4,359) yards and a running back run for (1,438) yards … yet we have to get more consistent. If we can play better defense we'll be a very productive team."

Buffalo's offense and defense weren't all that mismatched in yardage. The Bills' offense was 11th in yards gained while the defense was a respectable 15th in yardage surrendered.

However, Buffalo was 27th in points allowed and 29th against the run. But those weren't the indicting stats for critics of the Bills' 'D'. The most compelling number was 19 -- the total number of takeaways generated by Buffalo's defense. That's 13 fewer -- almost one a game -- than the average of the 12 teams that made the playoffs.

As a result, the Bills rarely had a short field courtesy of a turnover. In fact, 26 of their 43 offensive touchdowns were scored on drives of 73 yards or longer, while only five possessions started on the opponents' side of midfield.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/s/2003/0702/1575746.html

ok so you made your point, i friggin' agree
            For the latest Bills news, visit the front page www.billszone.com

Comment

• Wys Guy
              • Jul 2002

Re: Re: How much did or D/STs improve during last season?

Originally posted by Fairway To Green
              You expect journalists to do thier homework.............come on Wys!
              LMAO

No, I suppose not.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• TedMock
                • Jul 2002

I think the D improved quite a bit once they "got it". The system works, it's been proven over the years from Chicago, to Philly, Houston and Tennessee, yet so many wanted to overthrow the staff. JG and GW are good coaches and we, as fans, really needed to be patient. Granted, this season is do or die considering the talent. Allowing 19ppg is a great improvement but it's still in need of work. LDE pending, we should have a top rated D this year, talent wise, and mix that with JG, GW and DL calling schemes......things should be dangerous.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                  • Jul 2002

Great D! 19 takeaways!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statis...=afc&year=2002
                  With the front 7 we had, we were lucky to have had that!!!

As usual, a completely one-dimensional analysis!!!

You have to consider the talent which you obviously completely fail to do!!!

The O was LOADED!!! while the D had GAPING HOLES in it!

The O massively underachieved, the D massively overachieved!

Does that seem to fit into your analysis at all, or are we simply looking at aggregate stats?

B/c if so, perhaps you could outline all the marvelous offensive stats that led us to 3-5 over the last 8 games while the D, which held K.C., the league's best offense to only 17 points, G.B. to only 10, Cincy to less than 10, San Diego to only 13, Detroit to 17 and Miami to 10 while scoring a TD themselves.

I guess those things don't matter in your analyses, huh BFO!

I think perhaps you should apply as a national media person.

See, and this is the problem w/ you and the media, you measure everything according to what matters least. You completely ignore TOs and sacks on O, but then turnaround and use them as the end-all-to-be-all on D.

You completely ignoring the amount of points put up by the O which is paltry and then say the O was incredible even though for 2/3 of the season it played like amongst the league's worst! You measure success by yardage, not points!

Meanwhile, you completely ignore the amount of points allowed by the D which was outstanding overall for 2/3 of the season in favor of a lack of "takeaways."

Let me ask you this, which is more important?

To allow only 9, 10, 13, 16, or 17 points?

Or to allow significantly more while logging 2 or 3 takeaways?

No, I don't expect you to be able to figure that one out...

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                    • Jul 2002

One sided? How so? Take away Ray Pukas' debacle, what are the bills left with?

Wys - from any keen football observers perspective, the Bills D was almost entirely to blame for last season's woes.

You seem to want to completely separate the D and the O and analyze them as two teams. If the D can’t get the O the ball with some favorable field position, the O can’t enjoy more success.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                      • Jul 2002

Does that seem to fit into your analysis at all, or are we simply looking at aggregate stats?

lmao! Is this coming from you!?

Comment

• Dozerdog
                        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                        • Jul 2002

Isn't it a coincidence that our high powered offense slowed down along with our crappy defense suddenly getting better?

Could it be the crappy weather? I mean, if a team is laying in 30 MPH winds, that would explain our stat anomolie.

I can point to a number of games where our offense won it. I really am hard pressed, other than the two Lucas games, to find any great effort by the defense. Yeah, the GB game was 10-0, but the conditions on that game were terrible- even by GB standards.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                          • Jul 2002

NEWS FLASH!!!! DREW BLEDSOE IS NOT PERFECT. I REPEAT, DREW BLEDSOE IS NOT PERFECT!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                            • Jul 2002

You should be a strategist for the DNC!

The premise of the CNNSI article, and the one that we are operating from, is simple. Really BFO, it's quite simple.

Namely, that the O scored in droves all season long while the D didn't do it's job!

That's the premise here. The only way to see that is to completely ignore the impact of "disallowing points on D", while again ignoring the impact of "not scoring points on O!"

It's really that simple. No other team in the league would be praised for it's savvy in games where it put up:

24 pts. v. the 31st ranked D
                            20 pts. v. the 22nd ranked D
                            and 27 v. the dead last ranked D in the league!

Only in Buffalo is that D celebrated!!!

Meanwhile, a D who allows:

10 v. the 12th ranked O
                            17 v. the 1st ranked O
                            31 where 14 was courtesy of the O (17 otherwise)
                            27 where 10 was courtesy of the O (17 otherwise)
                            10 v. the 6th ranked O
                            and 9 points

is considered to have made no contributions!

Keep singin' it! For any other team in the league, and presumably on any team w/o Drew, that D is considered at minimum an average D, better by many standards, regardless of the number of takeaways they had!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                              • Jul 2002

I think you missed this tidbit wys:

Comment

Working...
                              X