PDA

View Full Version : Should the Buffalo Bills replace T.J. Graham?

justasportsfan
02-21-2014, 03:21 PM
IMO, this isn't really about TJ Graham but about our qb problems. I've always stated it's hard to evaluate our receivers because of how unstable the qb position was. This write-up shows it.

What I saw
Targets

- T.J was targeted on 58 passing plays, which accounts for 11% of all the quarterback targets (522). T.J. was the fifth receiving option in the pass game, behind Stevie Johnson (150 targets), Robert Woods (85 targets), Scott Chandler (81 targets) and Fred Jackson (65 targets).
- Of the seven primary receiving targets on the Bills, Graham had the worst catch to target ratio of 39.7%.
- Of the 58 targeted passes to T.J., I counted 29 good throws and 29 bad throws (50%), and three dropped passes.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/2/21/5433138/should-the-bills-replace-tj-graham

The King
02-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Not outright. But certainly bring in some competition and if he gets beat so be it. I honestly believe Chris Hogan might be more valuable to the team at this point.

SpikedLemonade
02-21-2014, 04:01 PM
I've always stated it's hard to evaluate our receivers because of how unstable the qb position was.

This can be said for almost 20 years now yet which WR left us and was even remotely successful elsewhere?

I wish we would accept that other than when Polian was here, the Bills have been the worst talent evaluators in the history of the NFL.

That includes Better Days' cousin Buddy Nix.

The reason for that is that our hiring of coaching, scouting and management people has been terrible due to providing an unattractive work environment for a host of reasons.

Meathead
02-21-2014, 04:07 PM
oh hes gonna have to fight for his job all right. he needs to show the big jump youre supposed to show in your second season. twenty three catches in your second season? rookie qb or not thats pretty weaksauce

swiper
02-22-2014, 04:50 AM
Graham drops everything. Goodwin is a newer, better player than Graham could/will ever be. Move on from this Buddy Nix blunder. Please.

Night Train
02-22-2014, 07:44 AM
He's option #4 or 5 right now, which speaks for itself. He's playing for his job. ( SJ,Woods,Goodwin are the current core )

A tall WR with some abilty to go get the ball on 3rd down or make catches in the red zone is probably a profile the Bills would like...but not early in the draft.

TE is a far higher priority.

justasportsfan
02-22-2014, 09:27 AM
Woods hasn't played to our expectation. No one has. I blame our qb situation and the videos show it

The Jokeman
02-22-2014, 11:23 AM
IMO, this isn't really about TJ Graham but about our qb problems. I've always stated it's hard to evaluate our receivers because of how unstable the qb position was. This write-up shows it.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/2/21/5433138/should-the-bills-replace-tj-graham

2014 is a magical season for Graham as it will mark his third year in the league. I'm all for keeping him but also not looking for him to play a role bigger than the 4th WR behind SJ13, Woods and a proven veteran WR.

Mace
02-22-2014, 08:04 PM
I think it's not about our receiver problems or QB problems but coaching/FO problems. We always seem to end up with offensive weapons needing some gloss who end up not being glossed with staffs clueless how to use them.

Parrish was awesome fast, awesome not good hands, Graham is the same, so I think short routes, throw into the breadbasket and room in space, Spiller is an amazing mismatch against a linebacker, so put him out there. But it seems mystifying, keep trying to throw precision routes to Parrish (back then), or Graham now, and run Spiller into the line again so he can run sideways and get mauled. You have Goodwin and Woods and Johnson the QB you didn't realize would be the QB can't throw to so let him not throw it so they can't catch it.

I wasn't fond of the Spiller pick, like Spiller though as a player, and to me he's the perfect example of getting what we don't know what to do with. Same for Graham, Parrish before him, and who knows how many others at the moment. Every new offense you think they have a clue, but you can see from your couch they really don't without making their money.

RedEyE
02-23-2014, 02:08 PM
Graham is horrendous.

The Jokeman
02-23-2014, 02:27 PM
Graham is horrendous.

If mean as a starting WR I agree with you but if you regulate him to the bench as a depth WR he is as good as they get. That's why I say bring in a veteran to keep Graham/Goodwin on the bench. As if play the law of averages most rookie WRs don't contribute as well as veterans.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-23-2014, 03:03 PM
Too bad he doesn't return kicks or he'd have a spot on this team for life.

swiper
02-23-2014, 04:58 PM
If mean as a starting WR I agree with you but if you regulate him to the bench as a depth WR he is as good as they get. That's why I say bring in a veteran to keep Graham/Goodwin on the bench. As if play the law of averages most rookie WRs don't contribute as well as veterans.

What are you smoking?

BertSquirtgum
02-23-2014, 07:08 PM
Graham jumps three feet in the air when the ball is thrown at his chest. Enough said.

YardRat
02-23-2014, 07:45 PM
They shouldn't draft or sign a FA specifically to replace him, per se, but they should bring in somebody to upgrade the squad, and if Graham becomes the odd man out so be it. Hell, they may already have a replacement in the fold if Hogan, Kauffman or Barden really steps up.

kishoph
02-24-2014, 05:37 AM
Woods hasn't played to our expectation. No one has. I blame our qb situation and the videos show it

Manuels % of incompletions due to poor throws was 42.9 %, that may seem high until you see that Payton Mannings was 44.0 % and Tom Brady's was 47.2 %. Brady also had an higher % of overall attempts that were considered poor throws. I am in no way saying that Manuel is Manning or Brady, but pointing out that all QB's have poor throws. The biggest problem is that, all people seem to remember is the few throws that Manuel sailed far out of bounds in like the 2nd and 3rd games of the season and that's all that sticks in their minds.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=26639&team=2

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/findplayer.asp?type=position&position=8

justasportsfan
02-24-2014, 09:06 AM
Manuels % of incompletions due to poor throws was 42.9 %, that may seem high until you see that Payton Mannings was 44.0 % and Tom Brady's was 47.2 %. Brady also had an higher % of overall attempts that were considered poor throws. I am in no way saying that Manuel is Manning or Brady, but pointing out that all QB's have poor throws. The biggest problem is that, all people seem to remember is the few throws that Manuel sailed far out of bounds in like the 2nd and 3rd games of the season and that's all that sticks in their minds.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=26639&team=2

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/findplayer.asp?type=position&position=8
Nope. Don't care what the nos. say. All I care is what the video shows. Yes, Brady and Manning have high incompletion percentage .The difference is they played to win games. I don't only remember EJ's out of bound throws as a matter of fact I've stated several times in other posts is that what bothers me the most is his being inaccurate throwing dinks. Trent was a better dinker than EJ.

Does this mean I think EJ will be a bust? Nope. I actually think he'll get better this year with a QB coach and Hostler to help out offensively and with better OL. Not saying he'll be a franchise qb either just yet.

ublinkwescore
02-24-2014, 05:17 PM
the bills need to replace their whole damn receiving corps with the exception of Goodwin and Woods.

The Jokeman
02-24-2014, 05:30 PM
What are you smoking?
It's called studying the NFL and realize that most teams 4th WRs are pretty bad.

The Jokeman
02-24-2014, 05:33 PM
the bills need to replace their whole damn receiving corps with the exception of Goodwin and Woods.

Toss away are best WR in Stevie Johnson absurd. That said Stevie, Woods, Goodwin and Gragg are the only left overs from last season I'd want in a perfect world but could deal with Stevie, Woods, Goodwin, Graham, Gragg and Moeaki. I could also argue the value of Easley on ST but honestly I think he's better gone than keeping pinning hope on him.

swiper
02-24-2014, 05:36 PM
Easley offers much more value than either Graham or Gragg.

swiper
02-24-2014, 05:37 PM
It's called studying the NFL and realize that most teams 4th WRs are pretty bad.

I promise I study harder than you and you're premise is wrong in that 32 4th WRs are better than Graham. Please try again.

The Jokeman
02-24-2014, 05:56 PM
I promise I study harder than you and you're premise is wrong in that 32 4th WRs are better than Graham. Please try again.

Where did I say they were all better than Graham? I'm debating Graham is as talented than as many 4th NFL WRs. Ideally to me Graham is our 4th WR behind Stevie, Woods, free agent signee (I favor James Jones), Graham and Goodwin.

Mouldsie
02-24-2014, 11:46 PM
Graham is whatever, he'd be better off with a QB who can throw a good deep ball though