X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yasgur's Farm
    • Feb 2005

My "Plan B" for QB...

...doesn't include a round 1 through 3 draft pick...

1 down and 2 to go per Doug Whaley...
    The Buffalo Bills have personnel issues all over the place, but they don’t believe EJ Manuel is one of them.

Bills General Manager Doug Whaley said Friday he will consider every position except quarterback with the ninth overall draft pick. “With the way our roster’s set up right now, besides quarterback, we could go with any position,”
    http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/02...sition-but-qb/
    Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 02-22-2014, 10:46 AM.
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: My "Plan B" for QB...

...doesn't include a round 1 through 3 draft pick...
    / Thread.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Sounds like he's really setting up hard for someone behind him who wants a QB badly enough to trade up to 9.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Swiper
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2010

Smoke and mirrors season is in full play.

Comment

• stuckincincy
          Buffalo Bills Fan
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
          Smoke and mirrors season is in full play.
          That would be a refreshing change for them. In recent years, they've done everything but put up a billboard announcing who they like.
          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• WagonCircler
            Escaped Convict
            • Jul 2002

If this is true, we'll be drafting #9 again next season.

Same as it ever was...

Comment

• sudzy
              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post

Same as it ever was...

Top ten the next 4 years. Then they'll reach in another poor QB draft and the cycle begins again.

Comment

• Mace
                Haha...yeah you think so ?
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post

Same as it ever was...
                Don't jump ahead, I'm still working on figuring out this years prospects. More important thing for next year is figuring out how long Marrone has left and who the next HC might be. Spiked will be upset about Ralph, who has not been mentioned for 18 months, we'll all be even more infuriated about the Toronto series after learning they extended it 47 more years, and Justin Bieber will have straightened out, sobered up and produced a stunning must have Blues effort after being deported from the US, Canada, Switzerland, Latvia, and Sri Lanka before settling in Bulgaria.

Hm, just my thought, anyway.

Comment

• feldspar
                  • Mar 2007

All Whaley said was that the Bills won't be picking a QB in the first round, and I tend to agree with that. There is a pretty good chance that nobody else will be picking a QB after the Bills in the first round either. Don't know.

EJ Manuel will have his chance regardless. I wonder if a lot of the fanboys would have the same optimism and give him the same leash if the Bills didn't pick Manuel in the first round last year...if they could be objective about him strictly as a player. Not too many people even projected he would be picked there at the time. I myself was fairly shocked. Where he was picked plays in from a logistics standpoint, but it shouldn't have an end-all consequence where he is handed the job as a result...like he plays well or we're screwed and have to start over again the next year or the next.

There absolutely has to be a plan B in my opinion, and Thad Lewis isn't it. Forget about Dixon and Tuel. If the Bills really like a QB (even in the 2nd or 3rd round) they have to pull the trigger...not that it has to be that high. I'm not going to trade football cards or project my opinion on who they should get right now...it's all about what the Bills think. If they like somebody and he's there for value, they should grab him. If Manuel pans out, then they can trade that guy later if he's any good, maybe. If Manuel doesn't pan out, then you have a prospect already on the roster who is familiar with the team and system...so there is less of a learning curve for everybody. A greater chance for a plug-and-play QB.

Trent Edwards may be a terrible example, but this was the idea behind that draft pick. JP Losman had only actually played a year-and-a-half when we drafted Edwards, and I don't think that Losman was looking all that much worse coming off his only full year of play than Manuel looked last year...and at least he lasted a full year, too. He probably looked better than EJ last year. There are always the same excuses...give him better weapons and protect him better. Three years later, the bags are packed.

The point is that you don't stop trying, especially just because the guy was picked in the first round.
                  Last edited by feldspar; 02-22-2014, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                    • Feb 2005

Mike Watkins
                    (Twitter: @merk256 )
                    -I wouldn’t completely discount a QB for the Bills this year. It will not be a high pick but if a Mettenberger or Murray are there in the 5th or the 6th don’t be surprised if the Bills pull the trigger. At worst they have someone to push Lewis and a back up plan if the bottom falls out on Manuel...
                    IMO... We have way more pressing needs than QB... And filling those needs does absolutely no harm to our QB situation in 2015. That's the only reason I don't advocate doubling down in 2014.

If that makes me a "fanboy", so be it.
                    Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 02-22-2014, 07:05 PM.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

I agree with merk's comment...I'd be willing to snag one of those guys in the fourth though.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                        There absolutely has to be a plan B in my opinion, and Thad Lewis isn't it. Did I say there shouldn't be a plan B?

Trent Edwards may be a terrible example, but this was the idea behind that draft pick. JP Losman had only actually played a year-and-a-half when we drafted Edwards, and I don't think that Losman was looking all that much worse coming off his only full year of play than Manuel looked last year...and at least he lasted a full year, too. He probably looked better than EJ last year. There are always the same excuses...give him better weapons and protect him better. Three years later, the bags are packed. See below.

The point is that you don't stop trying, especially just because the guy was picked in the first round.
                        JP Losman 2nd year stats... I see absolutely zero likeness to EJ's rookie stats...
                        SEASON TEAM GP CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD LNG INT FUM QBR RAT
                        2005 9 113 228 49.6 1,340 5.88 8 58 8 6 -- 64.9
                        Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 02-22-2014, 07:20 PM.

Comment

• feldspar
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
                          Mike Watkins
                          (Twitter: @merk256 )
                          IMO... We have way more pressing needs than QB... And filling those needs does absolutely no harm to our QB situation in 2015. That's the only reason I don't advocate doubling down in 2014.

If that makes me a "fanboy", so be it.
                          I actually specifically mentioned Mettenberger and Murray before...those two specifically.

I thought the Bills should have taken a QB in the 4th round last year, too. Instead, we got Duke Williams...if you turned around and bent over, he may have "filled a hole" last year...nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more. Yeah, I know, he needs to develop too, along with everybody else. QBs typically have the largest learning curve because they have greater responsibilities...the most important position in all team sports, actually. I don't want to be talking about somebody else the same way people talked about Losman and Manuel a couple of few years down the line...can't judge him yet, and all that absolute crap. You sure can judge him now...project what you may into the future.
                          Last edited by feldspar; 02-22-2014, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                            I actually specifically mentioned Mettenberger and Murray before...those two specifically.

I thought the Bills should have taken a QB in the 4th round last year, too. Instead, we got Duke Williams...if you turned around and bent over, he may have "filled a hole" last year...nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more. Yeah, I know, he needs to develop too, along with everybody else. QBs typically have the largest learning curve because they have greater responsibilities...the most important position in all team sports, actually. I don't want to be talking about somebody else the same way people talked about Losman and Manuel a couple of few years down the line...can't judge him yet, and all that absolute crap. You sure can judge him now...project what you may into the future.
                            Please return to the title of this thread and my OP... We seem to be saying the same thing in other languages.

Comment

• feldspar
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post

JP Losman... I see absolutely zero likeness to EJ's rookie stats...
                              SEASON TEAM GP CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD LNG INT FUM QBR RAT
                              2005 9 113 228 49.6 1,340 5.88 8 58 8 6 -- 64.9
                              Forget about stats as though they tell the story, and I wasn't comparing their rookie years. 2005 wasn't even Losman's rookie year, either. Troy Vincent broke his leg in his rookie year, I believe. I was talking about Losman's SECOND year where he actually played, his 2006 season...actually his third year in the league. I said that, Woodstock. He'd only started 8 games before that, and he probably looked just as good in 2006 as Manuel did this year, and probably even much better. Yet we drafted a QB in the 3rd round the next year, in 2007. That was my point.

For that matter, we gave up a first round pick for Drew Bledsoe and then drafted JP Losman in the first round two short years later. Why? Actually, that was kinda stupid.

Manuel isn't the kind of guy you can bank on at this point, so you have to keep trying...my ONLY point. If he pans out, then I'm still right because nobody has the slightest inkling as to whether that will happen. The odds don't favor it.

Comment

Working...
                              X