PDA

View Full Version : The Top 3 OT's Looked Very Good Saturday

Night Train
02-23-2014, 05:50 AM
Jake Matthews Texas A&M 6-5 305
Greg Robinson Auburn 6-5 320
Taylor Lewan Michigan 6-7 315

All 3 backed up their excellent game film with great footwork in the Combine drills. Very impressive.

Seems to be plenty of acceptable choices at #9. If it's any of these 3, I'll be thinking " good pick " after hearing their name.

SpikedLemonade
02-23-2014, 06:06 AM
Yup.

swiper
02-23-2014, 06:08 AM
Geez those are some big guys. For guys like that to have good footwork sounds too good to pass up. Where do I sign up?

swiper
02-23-2014, 06:12 AM
NFL Combine: O-Line Kick things off in impressive fashion

Anthony D. Macari @nflwarroom (https://twitter.com/NFLWarRoom)

http://imageprocessor.websimages.com/width/300/crop/0,0,300x203/ramsherd.com/images/stories/Greg-Robinson.jpg

Greg Robinson is an impressive human specimen. 6'-5" 332lbs with 35" arms. Puts up 32 reps on the bench and then blows the doors off the 40 with an unofficial 4.84, which would be good for a TE. I really can't see him slipping out of the top 5 and I have him going #2 overall.

Right behind Robinson in the early going at the combine would be the performance of Taylor Lewan. Lewan at 6'7" 309lbs put up 29 reps on the bench and ran an unofficial 4.85. I have Lewan going top 10 to the Bills at 9. Lewan has the long frame the Bills covet and the frame to add even more bulk and strength.

PFWR number one ranked OT, Jake Matthews, a bit overshadowed by Robinson and Lewan, is still putting up solid numbers. 6'-5" 308lb polished Tackle put up 24 reps and ran an unofficial 4.91 40.

http://profootballwarroom.com/

Downinfloflo
02-23-2014, 10:57 AM
If Mack and Watkins are off the board at #9, Landing one of those tackles would be a great consolation prize.

SpikedLemonade
02-23-2014, 11:18 AM
If Mack and Watkins are off the board at #9, Landing one of those tackles would be a great consolation prize.

Watkins just ran a 4.34 on his first attempt. He won't be there at #9.

I think I would still rather have one of the top 3 LTs rather than Mack.

Downinfloflo
02-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Watkins just ran a 4.34 on his first attempt. He won't be there at #9.

I think I would still rather have one of the top 3 LTs rather than Mack.

That would be a tuff call for me, Mack playing with Kiko behind that D-Line could be too hard to pass up.

SpikedLemonade
02-23-2014, 12:19 PM
That would be a tuff call for me, Mack playing with Kiko behind that D-Line could be too hard to pass up.

A QB and RBs behind a very good OL is a better way to go. Otherwise our D gets worn out.

cookie G
02-23-2014, 12:33 PM
Robinson looks like an agile version of Bob Sapp. The guy is put together.

YardRat
02-23-2014, 12:37 PM
I really want an OT at 9, but I'm starting to get the feeling that considering the depth of the position this year coupled with the fact we got a decent LT in the second they may be looking at pulling the trigger elsewhere and waiting a round for tackle.

swiper
02-23-2014, 12:42 PM
Any way it falls, the Bills will get a very good player at #9. Unless they go Donte Whitner on us again. But Whaley doesn't seem to fit that mold.

Downinfloflo
02-23-2014, 12:56 PM
Any way it falls, the Bills will get a very good player at #9. Unless they go Donte Whitner on us again. But Whaley doesn't seem to fit that mold.

Yes...They are in a very good spot given the QB's that should go ahead of them leaving more position players on the board.

The Jokeman
02-23-2014, 01:48 PM
I really want an OT at 9, but I'm starting to get the feeling that considering the depth of the position this year coupled with the fact we got a decent LT in the second they may be looking at pulling the trigger elsewhere and waiting a round for tackle.

If a guy like Lewan falls to you at pick 9 you can't just pass on him. As to me he's too good to pass up.

cookie G
02-23-2014, 03:48 PM

After Watkins' 40 time today, I don't know if he's falling. He'd seem a perfect fit for the Rams..I just don't know if they take a WR that high. If nothing else, the ghost of Al Davis is going to intervene.

Downinfloflo
02-23-2014, 03:56 PM
Clowney only 21 reps in the bench press...

Brady Quinn put up 24, And a punter put up 23.

Is that a concern?

coastal
02-23-2014, 09:29 PM
Clowney only 21 reps in the bench press...

Brady Quinn put up 24, And a punter put up 23.

Is that a concern?
Absolutely that's a concern.

Downinfloflo
02-23-2014, 09:44 PM

I was thinking he may fall to someone who may have thought they have no shot.

Making someone else available who we thought we may have no shot.

jimmifli
02-23-2014, 09:44 PM
That's an opportunity. If he can dominate CFB without real strength, just imagine what he could do after a year of NFL strength and pharmaceutical training?

cookie G
02-23-2014, 10:36 PM
That's an opportunity. If he can dominate CFB without real strength, just imagine what he could do after a year of NFL strength and pharmaceutical training?

Sincerely,

Aaron Maybin

:) couldn't resist.

jimmifli
02-23-2014, 11:09 PM
Sincerely,

Aaron Maybin

:) couldn't resist.
I think it's entirely different. Clowney was a standout as a true freshman, then as a sophomore he became one of the best defensive players in CFB and followed that up by solid but disappointing Junior season. 3 good seasons and he didn't beat OT's through physical dominance, so improving some physical attributes can't be a bad thing.

Maybin on the other hand, was merely able to run around some guys that never made the NFL. He didn't have the technique or attitude required to play in the NFL. Adding more speed or strength wouldn't have helped him much, if at all.

Honestly though, I really don't give a **** about the dude's bench. My real concerns in drafting him would be injuries and what caused his dropoff last year.

cookie G
02-24-2014, 09:47 AM
I think it's entirely different. Clowney was a standout as a true freshman, then as a sophomore he became one of the best defensive players in CFB and followed that up by solid but disappointing Junior season. 3 good seasons and he didn't beat OT's through physical dominance, so improving some physical attributes can't be a bad thing.

Maybin on the other hand, was merely able to run around some guys that never made the NFL. He didn't have the technique or attitude required to play in the NFL. Adding more speed or strength wouldn't have helped him much, if at all.

Honestly though, I really don't give a **** about the dude's bench. My real concerns in drafting him would be injuries and what caused his dropoff last year.

eh, lighten up, it was a joke. No, he's nothing like Maybin..Maybin had the lower body of a player from the 1940's. 21 reps aside, I doubt Clowney gets ragdolled by RB's in pass pro like Maybin used to.

BTW, did Clowney really run a 4.47 40..I just read he did, then took the rest of the day off.

Night Train
02-24-2014, 10:45 AM
BTW, did Clowney really run a 4.47 40..I just read he did, then took the rest of the day off.

Yes he did. I'm watching it. Pure genius. Leaves them buzzing with that 40 time.

These agents know when to shut their asset down. Pro day coming and it's scripted for the player. Clowney will be top 5 if he doesn't do another thing until draft day.

sukie
02-24-2014, 11:34 AM
If something miraculous happens I would love me some Clowney.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-24-2014, 11:59 AM
I would love if the bench press makes him fall to us.

Uncle Jesse
02-27-2014, 12:51 PM
Teams that miss the playoffs 14 years in a row should not be drafting a right tackle in the top 10. Although, they are the Bills, so they will probably do that. Why got a true play maker though, our offense already has so many!

jdaltroy5
02-27-2014, 01:35 PM
Teams that miss the playoffs 14 years in a row should not be drafting a right tackle in the top 10. Although, they are the Bills, so they will probably do that. Why got a true play maker though, our offense already has so many!That doesn't really make any sense.

What does our playoff drought have to do with what position we take?

Maybe the reason why we have a playoff drought is because we constantly ignore the offensive line and try to draft playmakers?

Uncle Jesse
02-27-2014, 01:57 PM
That doesn't really make any sense.

What does our playoff drought have to do with what position we take?

Maybe the reason why we have a playoff drought is because we constantly ignore the offensive line and try to draft playmakers?

You're really clueless aren't you? How is a right tackle that you can get undrafted, in free agency or in much later rounds, beneficial to a team with 1 offensive play maker?

There is a reason NOBODY drafts right tackles in the top 10. Like, literally, nobody. How do you even fathom thats the best we can do for this team at 9? I don't even know if you're just messing with me or are really serious on this.

k-oneputt
02-27-2014, 02:09 PM
DF. If you are talking about Lewan he is a left tackle that would probably start out on the right side with the Bills. Big difference but carry on.

jdaltroy5
02-27-2014, 02:10 PM
You're really clueless aren't you? How is a right tackle that you can get undrafted, in free agency or in much later rounds, beneficial to a team with 1 offensive play maker?

There is a reason NOBODY drafts right tackles in the top 10. Like, literally, nobody. How do you even fathom thats the best we can do for this team at 9? I don't even know if you're just messing with me or are really serious on this.Uhh, maybe because a RT that is drafted in the top ten is going to be significantly better than one that is undrafted?

It's the attitude that "all fat guys are the same" that got us into this mess.

BTW Andre Smith was drafted 6th overall and he's one of the best RTs in the league. Anthony Davis was also drafted 11th overall and he's most likely the best RT in the league, playing on one of the best OLs in the league.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-27-2014, 02:27 PM

There is a reason NOBODY drafts right tackles in the top 10. Like, literally, nobody. How do you even fathom thats the best we can do for this team at 9? I don't even know if you're just messing with me or are really serious on this.

Lane Johnson went #4 to the Eagles just last season.

Uncle Jesse
02-27-2014, 03:07 PM
Uhh, maybe because a RT that is drafted in the top ten is going to be significantly better than one that is undrafted?

It's the attitude that "all fat guys are the same" that got us into this mess.

BTW Andre Smith was drafted 6th overall and he's one of the best RTs in the league. Anthony Davis was also drafted 11th overall and he's most likely the best RT in the league, playing on one of the best OLs in the league.

Andre Smiths fat ass wasn't good enough to play LT like he was supposed to.

Funny those teams you listed, 9ers, Bengals and Eagles are staring at playoff droughts, and have elite play makers on offense.

Meanwhile...in Buffalo, we're building up the lines again! That should help score points with an anemic QB/TE/WR combo!!

cookie G
02-27-2014, 03:21 PM

Besides the aforementioned Andre Smith, Lane Johnson and Anthony Davis,

Eric Fisher was the no. 1 pick in the draft last year and played RT. Whether he stays there is anyone's guess but that's where he played last year.

DJ Fluker was drafted at no. 11 last year by the Chargers.

We're up to 5 now.

BTW, 4 of 5 teams were playoff teams last year, all with better offenses.

I'm so glad we're smarter than everyone else.

cookie G
02-27-2014, 03:23 PM
Meanwhile...in Buffalo, we're building up the lines again! That should help score points with an anemic QB/TE/WR combo!!

Again?

We have one drafted Olineman on the team from the past 4 years...and let our best OL go without replacing him.

Again?

jdaltroy5
02-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Andre Smiths fat ass wasn't good enough to play LT like he was supposed to.

Funny those teams you listed, 9ers, Bengals and Eagles are staring at playoff droughts, and have elite play makers on offense.

Andre Smith's fat ass was ALWAYS projected to play on the right side. Look at his scouting profile.

Sure, they have elite playmakers, but they also have elite OLs.

Wanna know why? Because they invested a lot of money and high draft picks into them.

Then again, you probably thought 8mil was too much for a guard and then yelled at Manuel for making poor decisions under pressure.

And what do you mean building up the again? When did we build up the line originally? We've had castoffs filling in for years. The strongest parts of the line have been from players that were drafted in higher rounds.

Uncle Jesse
02-28-2014, 07:49 AM
Andre Smith's fat ass was ALWAYS projected to play on the right side. Look at his scouting profile.

Sure, they have elite playmakers, but they also have elite OLs.

Wanna know why? Because they invested a lot of money and high draft picks into them.

Then again, you probably thought 8mil was too much for a guard and then yelled at Manuel for making poor decisions under pressure.

And what do you mean building up the again? When did we build up the line originally? We've had castoffs filling in for years. The strongest parts of the line have been from players that were drafted in higher rounds.

Those teams have QBs and play makers. You don't need a great offensive line to win in this league, it's been proven ever year. The Bills line is fine, and can get upgraded later in the draft and free agency. There is literally zero reason to waste a top 10 pick on a right tackle for this team, like none.

All those teams you guys are listing already HAVE play makers. They already have QBs. They are patching up holes to fine tune their rosters. They are/were not in the situation the Bills are in.

Totally different circumstances, I can't believe you people can't see that. This board is unreal.

jdaltroy5
02-28-2014, 08:34 AM
Those teams have QBs and play makers. You don't need a great offensive line to win in this league, it's been proven ever year. The Bills line is fine, and can get upgraded later in the draft and free agency. There is literally zero reason to waste a top 10 pick on a right tackle for this team, like none.

All those teams you guys are listing already HAVE play makers. They already have QBs. They are patching up holes to fine tune their rosters. They are/were not in the situation the Bills are in.

Totally different circumstances, I can't believe you people can't see that. This board is unreal.Yeah, those teams were so good that they were picking in the top ten that year. All those teams were just "fine tuning" their roster, yet they were all in the bottom third of the league.

And I don't think you bothered to investigate your line about not needing an OL to win in the league.

The Seahawks have two first rounders and a second rounder on their OL. The Ravens won with bookend first rounders and a pro bowl OG last year. San Fran has three first rounders on their OL. New England has two firsts and a second on their OL.

Smart teams build up their OL and give their best players time to make plays.

better days
02-28-2014, 08:43 AM

You mean like the RT & LG the Bills got LAST YEAR?

Yeah, they played GREAT...........NOT

Uncle Jesse
02-28-2014, 09:34 AM
You mean like the RT & LG the Bills got LAST YEAR?

Yeah, they played GREAT...........NOT

Who did the Bills get at RT last year? They've had the same one really.

Look, I'm not saying we don't need a better offensive line, at LG and RT specifically, I totally agree. I just think it's totally unnecessary to use a top 10 pick on a RT when our offense needs more play makers for our young QB. You can certainly upgrade the lines in rounds 2-7 and free agency.

jdaltroy5
02-28-2014, 09:39 AM

Look, I'm not saying we don't need a better offensive line, at LG and RT specifically, I totally agree. I just think it's totally unnecessary to use a top 10 pick on a RT when our offense needs more play makers for our young QB. You can certainly upgrade the lines in rounds 2-7 and free agency.
What happens if Evans and Watkins are gone by the 9th pick?

Uncle Jesse
02-28-2014, 09:42 AM
What happens if Evans and Watkins are gone by the 9th pick?

Ebron. If not, trade down, or get Barr or a LB that's there. If for some reason, Mack, Barr, Evans, Watkins, Clowney and Ebron are all gone...then I could finally cave into Matthews or Robinson I guess due to nothing else being worth while either and go BPA.

jdaltroy5
02-28-2014, 09:57 AM
Ebron. If not, trade down, or get Barr or a LB that's there. If for some reason, Mack, Barr, Evans, Watkins, Clowney and Ebron are all gone...then I could finally cave into Matthews or Robinson I guess due to nothing else being worth while either and go BPA.
So can I use your line of, "Which teams have EVER used a top ten pick on a TE? Seriously, like ever."

Uncle Jesse
02-28-2014, 10:30 AM
So can I use your line of, "Which teams have EVER used a top ten pick on a TE? Seriously, like ever."

Sure. Then I would say that the dynamic of tight ends is clearly changing in the NFL, which is glaringly obvious to anyone that watches football. The chance to have a Gronk/Graham type TE on your roster is something every single NFL team would like to have. Time are changing, and it's clear TE is the most evolving position in the sport.

Ed
02-28-2014, 10:36 AM
Sure. Then I would say that the dynamic of tight ends is clearly changing in the NFL, which is glaringly obvious to anyone that watches football. The chance to have a Gronk/Graham type TE on your roster is something every single NFL team would like to have. Time are changing, and it's clear TE is the most evolving position in the sport.
And Gronk and Graham weren't first round picks, so why do you need to spend a top 10 pick on a TE when you can get good ones later?

Uncle Jesse
02-28-2014, 10:43 AM
And Gronk and Graham weren't first round picks, so why do you need to spend a top 10 pick on a TE when you can get good ones later?

That's true, they weren't. However, nobody realized then how good they would be. People are realizing that now with Ebron. Those two have paved the way for the evolution of the TE position. They are the reason Ebron is being talked about in the top 10. People are seeing the value to a team with a guy like them.

Ebron won't be there later. The other guys, Amaro and Searfin-Jenkins will probably be there in round 2, but aren't on Ebrons level. His size, speed, athleticism is not like "the good ones later".

Don't get me wrong, if Watkins is there at 9 (i doubt it) I'm all for him.

jdaltroy5
02-28-2014, 10:53 AM
That's true, they weren't. However, nobody realized then how good they would be. People are realizing that now with Ebron. Those two have paved the way for the evolution of the TE position. They are the reason Ebron is being talked about in the top 10. People are seeing the value to a team with a guy like them.

Ebron won't be there later. The other guys, Amaro and Searfin-Jenkins will probably be there in round 2, but aren't on Ebrons level. His size, speed, athleticism is not like "the good ones later".

I remember hearing that a couple of years ago with Pettigrew.

We can go and sign him if you want?

better days
02-28-2014, 11:24 AM

Again, if it is so easy to upgrade OL in rnds 2-7 & free agency why did the Bills fail to grab a Pro Bowl RT & LG LAST YEAR in rnds 2-7 & free agency?

This year the draft is deep unlike most years, so an OL with some skill may be available in the 3rd rnd or even later, but a GOOD WR or TE may be available at then as well.

better days
02-28-2014, 11:26 AM

Who aside from you & a few other fans are talking about Ebron in the top 10?

Absolutely NO draft expert is talking about him going that high.

Uncle Jesse
02-28-2014, 11:32 AM
Again, if it is so easy to upgrade OL in rnds 2-7 & free agency why did the Bills fail to grab a Pro Bowl RT & LG LAST YEAR in rnds 2-7 & free agency?

I don't know, I'm not in their front office, and I'm not sure how that has any bearing on any of my points. They decided to not address their line other than Legursky, whatsoever.

Uncle Jesse
02-28-2014, 11:37 AM
Who aside from you & a few other fans are talking about Ebron in the top 10?

Absolutely NO draft expert is talking about him going that high.

Incorrect, one of the top draft guys for CBS, Dane Brugler has the Bills taking him at 9. Others (at CBS) all have him top 20 at worst, I think Prisco might be at 23, but he won't last that long after his combine.

Chris Burke of SI.com has the Bills taking him at 9. Will Brinson of CBS has him at 11 overall.

So people are certainly discussing it, especially since his measureables and speeds at the combine.

better days
02-28-2014, 11:39 AM
I don't know, I'm not in their front office, and I'm not sure how that has any bearing on any of my points. They decided to not address their line other than Legursky, whatsoever.

Well, I know why that did not happen.

The reason it did not happen is that is not as easy to do as you think.

Every once in a while a team will stumble on a Jason Peters, but that is RARE.

jdaltroy5
02-28-2014, 11:56 AM
It absolutely addresses your point.

You said that those spots can just be filled in with UDFA and late round picks.

Well, they did that and it was a disaster.

Uncle Jesse
02-28-2014, 12:12 PM
It absolutely addresses your point.

You said that those spots can just be filled in with UDFA and late round picks.

Well, they did that and it was a disaster.

I said and I quote, "You can certainly upgrade the lines in rounds 2-7 and free ageny"

At no point did I mention undrafted free agents. You can CERTAINLY get legit guards and tackles in 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds and free agents. So I'm not sure why that's even being argued?

The Bills chose to go the bottom barrel route with Legursky. So saying "they tried that" is just lazy. They really put no effort into upgrading there with signing him. If they really cared, they would have resigned Levitre, the 2ND ROUND PICK, to keep the guard spot solid.

jdaltroy5
02-28-2014, 12:24 PM
I said and I quote, "You can certainly upgrade the lines in rounds 2-7 and free ageny"

At no point did I mention undrafted free agents. You can CERTAINLY get legit guards and tackles in 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds and free agents. So I'm not sure why that's even being argued?

The Bills chose to go the bottom barrel route with Legursky. So saying "they tried that" is just lazy. They really put no effort into upgrading there with signing him. If they really cared, they would have resigned Levitre, the 2ND ROUND PICK, to keep the guard spot solid. You also said, and I quote, "How is a right tackle that you can get undrafted, in free agency or in much later rounds, beneficial to a team with 1 offensive play maker?"

Uncle Jesse
02-28-2014, 01:09 PM
You also said, and I quote, "How is a right tackle that you can get undrafted, in free agency or in much later rounds, beneficial to a team with 1 offensive play maker?"

Yes I did, and you can. All positions can been found in late rounds or undrafted, I don't need to tell you that. Is it likely, no. This is all obvious stuff man, I don't know why you continue to battle these things. It's not like I said to "get someone undrafted because thats the best way to do it, or the only way to go about it."

We're battling bits of pieces of arguments, nothing I said in the above quote of me is untrue.