PDA

View Full Version : Sabres or any other NHL team might not even get a sniff at McDavid

DetDannyWilliams
02-23-2014, 07:05 PM
the NHL is seriously considering Seattle as an expansion target, possibly in time for the 2015-16 season. Discussing expansion with Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, Daly said,
“I think we have a belief in the Pacific Northwest, it being good hockey territory. I think, obviously, the Canucks have done a fantastic job — in Vancouver (http://thehockeywriters.com/tag/vancouver/), but also throughout British Columbia and the Pacific region — at driving interest in the sport.”
He summed up his remarks by saying,
“So, we think the possibility is there. It’s kind of more obvious than some of the other areas. It doesn’t mean we’ve done our due diligence. We’d need to satisfy ourselves on the marketplace, but just the objective factors around the marketplace suggest Seattle would be a good hockey market.”
- See more at: http://thehockeywriters.com/seattle-nhl-expansion-announcement-happen-within-weeks/#sthash.8PGd3lEu.dpuf

DetDannyWilliams
02-23-2014, 07:09 PM
Seattle would get the #1 overall pick and they would most definately draft McDavid as their face of their franchise. The NHL doesn't want the Sabres to succeed!

Ginger Vitis
02-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Bettman probably would like McDavid to end up in one of the southern states franchises or a new American expansion franchise and the timing would be bad but I don't think this has anything to do with sticking it to the Sabres. Id prefer McDavid to any other player in 2015 draft but there are 2 to 3 other legit franchise No.1 centres draft eligible In 2015

Downinfloflo
02-23-2014, 07:57 PM
It's coming.....Bob Mckenzie talked about it 2 months ago. :popcorn:

If Seattle gets an expansion franchise, it likely won’t be the only one

Given that the NHL’s Western Conference currently has just 14 teams (versus (http://thehockeywriters.com/tag/versus/) 16 in the East (http://thehockeywriters.com/tag/eastern-conference/)) and assuming reports are true, it would seem highly unlikely that Seattle would be the only city awarded a franchise. Quebec (http://thehockeywriters.com/tag/quebec/) City and Kansas City (http://thehockeywriters.com/tag/kansas-city/), both with arenas (http://thehockeywriters.com/tag/arenas/) that will be available by 2015-16, are high on the list of expansion candidates. Several other cities in the U.S. and Canada (http://thehockeywriters.com/tag/canada/) have been mentioned as well.
- See more at: http://thehockeywriters.com/seattle-nhl-expansion-announcement-happen-within-weeks/#sthash.8PGd3lEu.YtrKVtl0.dpuf

mightysimi
02-23-2014, 09:00 PM
In 2000, the expansion Wild and Blue jackets drafted 3rd and 4th. Actually there is a few expansion teams that didn't get the top pick.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=25448

coastal
02-23-2014, 09:02 PM
Just nuke Buffalo off of the map.

its the only way to end the suffering.

Skooby
02-23-2014, 09:14 PM
If we get the #1 pick, they'll punch the expansion ticket but it'll be a lottery with the expansion teams getting a majority of the tickets.

JATMtheJATM
02-24-2014, 02:56 AM
Seattle is coming. Probably won't be before they start digging on a new arena. So 2016 at earliest

- - - Updated - - -

Seattle is coming. Probably won't be before they start digging on a new arena. So 2016 at earliest

coastal
02-24-2014, 06:56 AM
Seattle is coming. Probably won't be before they start digging on a new arena. So 2016
I pray your right, but you just know it's not going to work out well.

With our luck, we will get the third overall pick while TWO new franchises take McDavid and Eichel.

Ginger Vitis
02-24-2014, 08:49 AM
With our luck, we will get the third overall pick
Noah Hanifan a American defensemen who is 2015 draft eligible is getting a lot of buzz.. He is pushing Eichel for the No.2 spot.. There are a fair amount of scouts and draft experts who think he is a better prospect than Aaron Ekblad and is on the same level as Seth Jones.. 3rd overall is a really good spot to be in next year all things considered..

Downinfloflo
02-24-2014, 12:11 PM

- - - Updated - - -

The NHL was ready for Seattle this year, That's where Phoenix was going if the deal fell through.

JATMtheJATM
02-24-2014, 02:58 PM
The NHL was ready for Seattle this year, That's where Phoenix was going if the deal fell through.

key arena just isnt suitable for an NHL team. even if it is temporary. i have a feeling the NHL will wait till the SODO arena is a go before they award the city a team.

JATMtheJATM
02-24-2014, 03:08 PM
i mean, weve gone over this. yes, the florida panthers were put together in about a year. but traditionally, the NHL announces expansion teams, at least in recent history, several years out. moving is a whole different animal.

could a seattle team be in the key arena in 2015? sure. but id imagine theyd wait till the SODO arena is actually a go. so far, its still in its planning stages. and with key arenas awful layout, i dont think the NHL wants to touch that. and even then, if they were awarded, it would be a lottery system. they wouldnt just award an expansion team the first pick. so im not really worried either way.

seattle will happen. probably soon. but 3 or 4 years out, IMO.

Downinfloflo
02-24-2014, 03:11 PM
key arena just isnt suitable for an NHL team. even if it is temporary. i have a feeling the NHL will wait till the SODO arena is a go before they award the city a team.

The NHL thinks otherwise, That's why Seattle was the landing spot for the Coyotes if they could not reach a deal this past off season.

They want the team playing ASAP, So they can build their fan base as the shiny new building is being built.

Qubec and KC are also ready to go if they should get the call.

I see them making the announcement this summer, Can't have 2 extra teams in the west it ruins alignment.

Islanders are moving to Brooklyn.

Devils just got a new owner.

Panthers just got a new owner.

Blue Jackets are up and coming and are fighting for the playoffs and will host the All Star game next season.

Tampa is in the playoff picture.

It makes perfect sense to expand now, The NHL is healthy and making a ton of cash, Seattle is riding high coming off the Super Bowl and the people there will support a NHL team.

Even the guy you went to on Twitter when we talked about this told you it could happen.

This is not an over night thing, It has been in the works for years.With people who know what their doing, Doing it.

Downinfloflo
02-24-2014, 03:42 PM
i mean, weve gone over this. yes, the florida panthers were put together in about a year. but traditionally, the NHL announces expansion teams, at least in recent history, several years out. moving is a whole different animal.

could a seattle team be in the key arena in 2015? sure. but id imagine theyd wait till the SODO arena is actually a go. so far, its still in its planning stages. and with key arenas awful layout, i dont think the NHL wants to touch that. and even then, if they were awarded, it would be a lottery system. they wouldnt just award an expansion team the first pick. so im not really worried either way.

seattle will happen. probably soon. but 3 or 4 years out, IMO.

That's an easy fix..

"Hey what do you know, Seattle you won the lotto"

With all the hype around McDavid it makes even more sense to add a team and give them Mcdavid..Brand new franchise with a player people call the next Crosby..Perfect situation.

Look what it did for the Penguins...LOL

The only reason you say 3-4 years out is because of an arena, They can play a season at Key Arena no problem.

JATMtheJATM
02-24-2014, 04:22 PM
That's an easy fix..

"Hey what do you know, Seattle you won the lotto"

With all the hype around McDavid it makes even more sense to add a team and give them Mcdavid..Brand new franchise with a player people call the next Crosby..Perfect situation.

Look what it did for the Penguins...LOL

The only reason you say 3-4 years out is because of an arena, They can play a season at Key Arena no problem.

they can play at key arena. it would be a problem. only 10,000 unobstructed seats? the NHL wants to avoid that at all costs.

Downinfloflo
02-24-2014, 04:23 PM
they can play at key arena. it would be a problem. only 10,000 unobstructed seats? the NHL wants to avoid that at all costs.

How do you know?

And can you name any other reasons as to why Seattle can't be ready to go other than Key Arena?

http://www.keyarena.com/events-tickets/seating-charts

JATMtheJATM
02-24-2014, 04:34 PM
How do you know?

And can you name any other reasons as to why Seattle can't be ready to go other than Key Arena?

http://www.keyarena.com/events-tickets/seating-charts

key arena is probably the biggest black eye.

i mean, you used the florida panthers as an example of an expansion team being up and running very rapidly. but thats not the norm. usually, they announce expansion teams 2 to 3 years prior to the team playing. and with key arena being so bad at handling hockey, the NHL would likely wait to announce an expansion team till after the SODO arena is green lighted.

could they use key arena? they could, im sure. but with how bad it is, youd think the NHL would want to avoid placing a team there for a 2 or 3 seasons. 1 year might be doable.

as for the seating chart, whats your point? the thunderbirds used to play there. they actually built a new arena for themselves because key arena was so bad for hockey.

JATMtheJATM
02-24-2014, 04:37 PM
The NHL thinks otherwise, That's why Seattle was the landing spot for the Coyotes if they could not reach a deal this past off season.

They want the team playing ASAP, So they can build their fan base as the shiny new building is being built.

Qubec and KC are also ready to go if they should get the call.

I see them making the announcement this summer, Can't have 2 extra teams in the west it ruins alignment.

Islanders are moving to Brooklyn.

Devils just got a new owner.

Panthers just got a new owner.

Blue Jackets are up and coming and are fighting for the playoffs and will host the All Star game next season.

Tampa is in the playoff picture.

It makes perfect sense to expand now, The NHL is healthy and making a ton of cash, Seattle is riding high coming off the Super Bowl and the people there will support a NHL team.

Even the guy you went to on Twitter when we talked about this told you it could happen.

This is not an over night thing, It has been in the works for years.With people who know what their doing, Doing it.

moving is a completely different animal over an expansion team. moving is a rush. an expansion team, there is no deadline. its why the hurricanes played in greensboro, and PHX played at american west arena.

but the last 6 expansion teams have all had new (or near new) arenas to move into when they came into existence.

i have no doubt that seattle is being discussed. i do doubt that its imminent right now. the arena process is taking a long time.

that said, could a team MOVE to seattle? yes. moving a team is a different animal. the panthers are really struggling as a team right now. no one goes to the games. i could see them moving.

Downinfloflo
02-24-2014, 05:06 PM
So a team in the NHL could move to Seattle, But a new one can't play there?

Fans would pack Key Arena gladly every night until the new arena opened up the following season.

And as a bonus, The team would have laid a foundation through televised games and advertisements., Wile waiting on the new arena

Panthers were bought this year by new owners, They are not going anywhere, In fact the new owner gave Tallon the green light to spend all he wants this off season.

(I see a lot of Panthers games they are my local team here in SWFL)

The NHL want's 32 teams, They have this planned out.

1) Brand new 10 year CBA

2) Brand new TV deal that brings in a ton of cash for all teams.

3) They moved 2 teams from the west into the east, Knowing they were going to add 2 teams that will actually be in the west to the west.

Downinfloflo
02-24-2014, 05:12 PM
Florida Panthers new owner Vincent Viola: ‘We will win here’

New York businessman Vincent Viola was introduced as the Panthers’ new owner and immediately made a commitment to keeping the team in South Florida.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/09/28/3654861/florida-panthers-new-owner-vincent.html#storylink=cpy
Viola’s pursuit of the Panthers didn’t take long, as he was introduced as the new owner of the franchise at a news conference at BB&T Center in Sunrise on Friday morning.Bettman, who flew in from Los Angeles after his outdoor game news conference at Dodger Stadium on Thursday, said Viola’s purchase of the team would put to rest any talk of the Panthers leaving South Florida “forever.”
The Panthers have a lease with Broward County through 2028, but the team’s struggles on and off the ice during the past decade-plus have led to talk that the Panthers could be on the move. That, Bettman said, was never the case.
“The rumor and speculation about the franchise has been overdone,” Bettman said. “The fact is, Vinnie comes in with an energy and an excitement and a commitment of resources. He wants to take this club to another level.
“This is great news for the fans of the Florida Panthers. People should not be worried about the future of the Panthers being anywhere but here in South Florida. People should be focused on the commitment to winning.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/09/28/3654861/florida-panthers-new-owner-vincent.html#storylink=cpy

coastal
02-24-2014, 06:18 PM
No McDavid or Eichel. Just accept it.

a buffalo organization finally tanks and this happens?

awful

JATMtheJATM
02-24-2014, 09:22 PM
No McDavid or Eichel. Just accept it.

a buffalo organization finally tanks and this happens?

awful

im not going to worry about losing the lottery to a team that doesnt exist yet.

i personally dont think itll happen just yet. but if it does, it does. no skin off my ass.

ckg927
02-25-2014, 07:54 PM

Hell, even the WHL's Thunderbirds hightailed it out of the Key Arena and moved out to the suburbs. That's how bad Key Arena is for hockey.

ckg927
02-25-2014, 07:57 PM

Barclays Center BARELY meets NHL standards, despite being a damned good arena(even if you need a flashlight to find your way in the upper deck of seats). It'll likely lock in at 15,000 or so seats for hockey(same as the MTS Centre). Barclays was designed, first and foremost, as an NBA arena.

Downinfloflo
02-25-2014, 09:17 PM
Barclays Center BARELY meets NHL standards, despite being a damned good arena(even if you need a flashlight to find your way in the upper deck of seats). It'll likely lock in at 15,000 or so seats for hockey(same as the MTS Centre). Barclays was designed, first and foremost, as an NBA arena.

And low and behold, Hockey is being played there even with the bad site lines.

JATMtheJATM
02-26-2014, 06:04 AM

actually, it was designed for concerts. hence why the rink is offset, more seats for end stage shows.

coastal
03-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Just read something about Quebec Nordiques being ready for the 2015-2016 season via expansion.

Downinfloflo
03-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Just read something about Quebec Nordiques being ready for the 2015-2016 season via expansion.

Me too, And it said no NHL team will be relocated.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
03-01-2014, 09:49 PM
Portland could handle an NHL team. They have insane support for the Blazers, and the Timbers games are like Europe. Winterhawks do ok, but hard to judge minor league attendance.

JATMtheJATM
05-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Nhl is not looking to expand per Sportsnet Facebook post

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/bettman-nhl-not-currently-looking-at-expansion/

coastal
05-03-2014, 09:32 PM
No expansion. No draft rule changes.

if the Isles continue to implode... the Eichel and McDavid pipe dream is less fake.

OpIv37
05-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Nhl is not looking to expand per Sportsnet Facebook post

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/bettman-nhl-not-currently-looking-at-expansion/

Finally a moment of sanity

JATMtheJATM
05-04-2014, 12:56 PM
i didnt think the NHL would expand any time soon. they have unhealthy franchises to worry about first. the PHX situation is far from over (the owners can opt out of the lease after 5 years if the team is losing money, and the city is picking up the losses) and the panthers are asking for public funds to cover their losses. things arent pretty down in sunrise, but we will see. i hope the county doesnt pick up that tab.

- - - Updated - - -

No expansion. No draft rule changes.

if the Isles continue to implode... the Eichel and McDavid pipe dream is less fake.

id be happy with just one of them. asking for both is just a wet dream overload.