X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Jokeman
    • Dec 2003

The case for WR James Jones

We've already started a thread on Brandon Spikes in free agency, Here's a case for James Jones. As he played in 14 games last year 8 of which were without Aaron Rodgers and despite not being the primary WR for the Packers last year his numbers would have lead the Bills last year with 817 yards receiving which more than 150 yards more than our top guy (Scott Chandler) produced. More from from a Packers website: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...eiver-addition

While he couldn't make that difficult reception, Jones did make a number of very tough catches last season. Including the playoffs, he saw 67 catchable targets and came away with 61 receptions. That means he had six drops in 2013.
    He's 6-1 but best of all he uses his arms to make him even bigger for all those that feel we need a physical WR, Jones fits this description to me as shown.
    Last edited by The Jokeman; 02-25-2014, 05:00 PM.
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Re: The case for WR James Jones

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
    We've already started a thread on Brandon Spikes in free agency, Here's a case for James Jones. As he played in 14 games last year 8 of which were without Aaron Rodgers and despite not being the primary WR for the Packers last year his numbers would have lead the Bills last year with 817 yards receiving which more than 150 yards more than our top guy (Scott Chandler) produced. More from from a Packers website: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...eiver-addition

He's 6-1 but best of all he uses his arms to make him even bigger for all those that feel we need a physical WR, Jones fits this description to me as shown.
    I thought about this too but the Bills may not like his age. It's a young team and they may want to keep it that way. He's 29.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

What's the difference between a 'difficult' catch and a 'very tough' one?
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• The Jokeman
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
        I thought about this too but the Bills may not like his age. It's a young team and they may want to keep it that way. He's 29.
        He's got another 3 years before I'd consider him an age to worry about. Billy Brooks was 29 when we added him, Quinn Early was 31 and James Lofton was 32. Granted we had older teams then but Jones might not have his best years ahead of him but think asking him to step in a year or two or three and let Woods/Goodwin develop isn't asking much if ask me.

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Does Rodgers come with him to put up those numbers?

Comment

• The Jokeman
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
            What's the difference between a 'difficult' catch and a 'very tough' one?
            Ask the writer of the article. lol I agree not the best written but I don't expect much from a fan newsite like SB Nation.

Comment

• The Jokeman
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
              Does Rodgers come with him to put up those numbers?
              Jones played 8 games without Rodgers last year and put up those numbers and say what you want if we sign Jones today he's easily the 2nd best WR the Bills will have on our roster or quite possibly even better than Stevie being he's a former 3rd Round pick.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Jones played 8 games without Rodgers last year and put up those numbers and say what you want if we sign Jones today he's easily the 2nd best WR the Bills will have on our roster or quite possibly even better than Stevie being he's a former 3rd Round pick.
                Those numbers would be less than they are with Thad, Tuel & EJ as his QB last year.

If we are getting a Vet WR, I want Decker.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                  • Dec 2003

Those numbers would be less than they are with Thad, Tuel & EJ as his QB last year.

If we are getting a Vet WR, I want Decker.
                  If we do re-sign Byrd am not sure we'd have enough for Decker as he's prepared to get $10m a season and that leave us with little to no money left to sign anyone else in UFA. Decker scares me as in watching the games I saw him play in Denver he was never a guy Peyton looked to first or second or even thirdly he was usually 4th in his pecking order. I know Decker produced with Tebow as a rookie which gives him some credibility yet I just don't see needing to pay so much for one guy. As think we could use three or four guys in UFA to move this team up a level and why I'd take Jones and _____ and ____________ over just Decker. The other blanks I'm filling with Brandon Pettigrew and Johnathan Vilma.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

If we do re-sign Byrd am not sure we'd have enough for Decker as he's prepared to get $10m a season and that leave us with little to no money left to sign anyone else in UFA. Decker scares me as in watching the games I saw him play in Denver he was never a guy Peyton looked to first or second or even thirdly he was usually 4th in his pecking order. I know Decker produced with Tebow as a rookie which gives him some credibility yet I just don't see needing to pay so much for one guy. As think we could use three or four guys in UFA to move this team up a level and why I'd take Jones and _____ and ____________ over just Decker. The other blanks I'm filling with Brandon Pettigrew and Johnathan Vilma.
                    Decker put up 1288 yds & 11 TDs on 87 catches.

Not bad for the #4 target. And he is much younger than Jones.

Comment

• BidsJr
                      • Sep 2002

Wanting a hall of fame QB's reciever is like wanting a HOF QB's coordinator. Take away the QB and they all suck.
                      "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• The Jokeman
                        • Dec 2003

Decker put up 1288 yds & 11 TDs on 87 catches.

Not bad for the #4 target. And he is much younger than Jones.
                        and you're expecting him to replicate those numbers here without Peyton Manning? I'm just looking at bringing in upgrades that can help the team and not break the bank. As would I want Decker over Jones in an ideal world? Sure but with the cap consideration I'd rather go with Jones and a few other guys.

Comment

• X-Era
                          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                          • Feb 2005

He's got another 3 years before I'd consider him an age to worry about. Billy Brooks was 29 when we added him, Quinn Early was 31 and James Lofton was 32. Granted we had older teams then but Jones might not have his best years ahead of him but think asking him to step in a year or two or three and let Woods/Goodwin develop isn't asking much if ask me.
                          Solid point. I didn't realize Early and Lofton were that old when they came to us.

I just wonder if it fits the current Bills mantra. We have one of the youngest teams in the league and are trying to get 3 starters from each draft while not making big investments in FA. I don't totally agree with it and would love a guy like Jones. I just wonder if they would even consider it to be honest.

Comment

• Meathead
                            Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                            • Jul 2002

if they do sign him i highly advise against drinking any of his koolaid
                            Last edited by Meathead; 02-25-2014, 06:29 PM.
                            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

and you're expecting him to replicate those numbers here without Peyton Manning? I'm just looking at bringing in upgrades that can help the team and not break the bank. As would I want Decker over Jones in an ideal world? Sure but with the cap consideration I'd rather go with Jones and a few other guys.
                              I would expect Decker to replicate his numbers just as I would expect Jones to.

In other words, no.

I think either of them may sign with the Pats*

Comment

Working...
                              X