PDA

View Full Version : The 2014 Bills Draft Is All About EJ Manuel

BillsImpossible
02-26-2014, 09:23 PM
...and the offense.

Marrone, Hackett and Whaley are all about EJ Manuel.

Like it or not, their chips are all in on EJ.

Whaley made it clear the Bills aren't drafting a quarterback this May.

I think this entire Bills draft is going to be built around EJ Manuel.

The defense is good. Buddy Nix went heavy on defense with his draft picks, and now it's time for Whaley to build up the offense.

Eric Ebron is likely to be available with the 9th pick. This year's draft is deep in Tight End talent.

A very good wide receiver is going to be available in the 2nd round regardless of who gets drafted in the first.

A very good guard, or right tackle will be available in the 3rd round.

A very good running back will be available in the 4th round.

The 5th, 6th and 7th round picks will be reserved for a safety, and two defensive backs.

The 2014 Bills draft is all about protecting EJ Manuel and giving him the weapons to succeed as an NFL quarterback.

Doug Marrone knows that a quarterback's best friend is a great Tight End.

If Tom Brady had a healthy Gronk and jail free Gonzalez to work with last year, I think the Pats would have made the Superbowl instead of the Broncos.

Sherman can only shut down one man.

If the Bills draft Eric Ebron in the first round, Kelvin Benjamin in the 2nd round, and a Guard or Right Tackle in the 3rd round and Whaley hits on all three picks, EJ Manuel is going to be a star quarterback in the NFL.

The Jokeman
02-26-2014, 10:12 PM
...and the offense.

Marrone, Hackett and Whaley are all about EJ Manuel.

Like it or not, their chips are all in on EJ.

Whaley made it clear the Bills aren't drafting a quarterback this May.

I think this entire Bills draft is going to be built around EJ Manuel.

The defense is good. Buddy Nix went heavy on defense with his draft picks, and now it's time for Whaley to build up the offense.

Eric Ebron is likely to be available with the 9th pick. This year's draft is deep in Tight End talent.

A very good wide receiver is going to be available in the 2nd round regardless of who gets drafted in the first.

A very good guard, or right tackle will be available in the 3rd round.

A very good running back will be available in the 4th round.

The 5th, 6th and 7th round picks will be reserved for a safety, and two defensive backs.

The 2014 Bills draft is all about protecting EJ Manuel and giving him the weapons to succeed as an NFL quarterback.

Doug Marrone knows that a quarterback's best friend is a great Tight End.

If Tom Brady had a healthy Gronk and jail free Gonzalez to work with last year, I think the Pats would have made the Superbowl instead of the Broncos.

Sherman can only shut down one man.

If the Bills draft Eric Ebron in the first round, Kelvin Benjamin in the 2nd round, and a Guard or Right Tackle in the 3rd round and Whaley hits on all three picks, EJ Manuel is going to be a star quarterback in the NFL.

We took Woods in the 2nd Round last year and he was thought to be the most NFL ready WR and look how well he performed as a rookie. He's also a better route runner than Benjamin. I think most fans put too much stock in production of skill position players as rookies. Most take a few years to reach their max potential. If we're going to help EJ make a move forward think it's better served with veterans than rookies. Look at what Tannehill did as a rookie and it was comparable to what EJ did, in order to take the next step the Dolphins added veterans to help him out and he performed better. I think the Bills should take a similar approach and that's why say look at James Jones and Brandon Pettigrew to shore up the WR and TE spots we have questions at. As look closely at what the top rookie TEs and WRs did last season and outside of Keenan Allen none of them were earth shattering.

better days
02-27-2014, 09:14 AM
If the Bills trade down, I could see them drafting Ebron, but Ebron will not be the best player available at #9 & the Bills will not draft him with the #9 pick.

I heard speculation on Sirius radio the other day that Sammy Watkins could fall to the Bills at #9. If that happens, expect the Bills to draft him.

Dr. Who
02-27-2014, 09:38 AM
As far as offensive players go, the Bills board should have Watkins, Robinson, and Matthews at the top of their list. If none of them are available at nine, I would take Lewan before I would take Ebron or Evans.

X-Era
02-27-2014, 10:05 AM
If the Bills trade down, I could see them drafting Ebron, but Ebron will not be the best player available at #9 & the Bills will not draft him with the #9 pick.

I heard speculation on Sirius radio the other day that Sammy Watkins could fall to the Bills at #9. If that happens, expect the Bills to draft him.I think there is a very slim chance at best that Watkins falls to 9.

The only way that could happen is if 3 QB's go before 9 and it could easily end up that only 1 or 2 are considered worthy of a top 10 pick... But I make no claims about the QB's anymore after the schooling I received last year when I was so far off the mark on where they would get drafted.

So since it would likely require 3 QB going before us and I admit to having no clue on where they will be taken I can honestly say I have no idea whether Watkins will fall or not.

Judging strictly on Watkins, I see him as one of the top 3 prospects in the whole draft so falling to 9 would be very unlikely IMO.

k-oneputt
02-27-2014, 10:09 AM
1ST. Lewan
2nd. S.-Jenkins
3rd. Borland or Skov
4th. Moncrief or M.Bryant
5th. Guard

Solved.

Dr. Who
02-27-2014, 10:13 AM
That is an intelligent draft, but I don't think there's any chance Moncrief falls to the 4th now.

better days
02-27-2014, 10:14 AM
I think there is a very slim chance at best that Watkins falls to 9.

The only way that could happen is if 3 QB's go before 9 and it could easily end up that only 1 or 2 are considered worthy of a top 10 pick... But I make no claims about the QB's anymore after the schooling I received last year when I was so far off the mark on where they would get drafted.

So since it would likely require 3 QB going before us and I admit to having no clue on where they will be taken I can honestly say I have no idea whether Watkins will fall or not.

Judging strictly on Watkins, I see him as one of the top 3 prospects in the whole draft so falling to 9 would be very unlikely IMO.

The speculation was 3 QBs would be drafted before the Bills pick.

That leaves 5 teams ahead of the Bills. 3 teams were said to be possibilities to draft Watkins, but all 3 have greater needs than WR, OT for example.

I agree it is a long shot Watkins falls to #9, but you never know.

Uncle Jesse
02-27-2014, 10:16 AM
As far as offensive players go, the Bills board should have Watkins, Robinson, and Matthews at the top of their list. If none of them are available at nine, I would take Lewan before I would take Ebron or Evans.

Yeah why would you want a Gronk or Graham like weapon on your offense for your 2nd year QB, when you can have a right tackle instead! PLAYOFFS!

God, give me play makers please, enough of this right tackle ****.

better days
02-27-2014, 10:21 AM
Yeah why would you want a Gronk or Graham like weapon on your offense for your 2nd year QB, when you can have a right tackle instead! PLAYOFFS!

God, give me play makers please, enough of this right tackle ****.

If Gronk or Graham are in this draft, I say take them.

Ebron is NOT Gronk or Graham.

k-oneputt
02-27-2014, 10:24 AM
We need a right tackle so we can give the dumbass more time to find a receiver. Unlike at FSU they are not wide open all the time in the NFL.

If Moncrief is gone take Bryant then. Lot of upside with that kid.

better days
02-27-2014, 10:26 AM
We need a right tackle so we can give the dumbass more time to find a receiver. Unlike at FSU they are not wide open all the time in the NFL.

A GOOD RT would also help the run game.

k-oneputt
02-27-2014, 10:29 AM

Exactly. Which EJ will need. S-Jenkins is big t-end who can block also.

Get those two and the skill players and qb suddenly look better.

better days
02-27-2014, 10:39 AM
Exactly. Which EJ will need. S-Jenkins is big t-end who can block also.

Get those two and the skill players and qb suddenly look better.

Jenkins would make a great replacement for Chandler in the red zone & is a better blocker than Chandler.

Dr. Who
02-27-2014, 11:34 AM

Any qb is better when he has more time to find a receiver. The game usually slows down for a qb eventually. The pace of the game is a problem for nearly all rookie qbs. NFL qb is arguably the toughest position to play in sports. I don't understand the contempt for EJ.

swiper
02-27-2014, 11:46 AM

Drafting Ebron is wasting the pick.

That will NEVER be the pick. Guaranteed.

alohabillsfan
02-27-2014, 11:59 AM
The bills organization would be foolish not to draft an insurance policy at QB. Not say round one, but I could see it in round 2 or 3 especially if we tag and trade Byrd and can maneuver down from 9 for additional pick(s).

swiper
02-27-2014, 12:01 PM
If the 2014 draft is all about EJ, then the original poster should brace himself for major disappointment.

Uncle Jesse
02-27-2014, 12:17 PM

The same run game coming off 2nd in the NFL is yards per game? The same run game that was 10th in the NFL in rushing TDs? I don't think we need a RT so bad we need to use a 1st rounder on one.

Who the hell drafts a right tackle top 10? Has it ever been done? Do you people realize how stupid that is?

Uncle Jesse
02-27-2014, 12:22 PM

He's not? I'm glad you can see into the future. I'm sure you knew Gronk was going to be as good as he is before he was drafted too right?

They are roughly the same size, and same speed. Ebron is more athletic. He has great hands. He is projected by people who are right more than not, to be an elite tight end. If you can't see his size/speed/talent just by watching him on film and combine production, then you need to evaluate your prospect knowledge.

Nobody obviously knows for sure, but he has a great shot to be one of those two, and will help any offense that he's in.

I can't wait to bump this thread some day.

jdaltroy5
02-27-2014, 12:37 PM
The same run game coming off 2nd in the NFL is yards per game? The same run game that was 10th in the NFL in rushing TDs? I don't think we need a RT so bad we need to use a 1st rounder on one.

Who the hell drafts a right tackle top 10? Has it ever been done? Do you people realize how stupid that is?We were second in the NFL in yards per game because we led the league (by far) in attempts.

In terms of actual production, we were 14th in YPC. You conveniently left that out though.

I don't see anything wrong with taking a RT at 9. If you give a young QB more time, he's going to be more comfortable in the pocket and make good reads and accurate throws.

I'm not against taking an explosive playmaker if one is there, but OL is always a good choice too.

BillsImpossible
02-27-2014, 06:17 PM
If the Bills take a lineman with the 9th pick, he's their next left tackle and Cordy Glenn is moving to right tackle.

The more I think about it, a lineman at 9 wouldn't make much sense because the Bills don't need a left tackle.

You don't take a very good left tackle and move him to right tackle to be replaced by a rookie.

The Bills can find a good right tackle or guard in the middle rounds.

Remember Mike Williams?

jdaltroy5
02-27-2014, 06:24 PM
If the Bills take a lineman with the 9th pick, he's their next left tackle and Cordy Glenn is moving to right tackle.

The more I think about it, a lineman at 9 wouldn't make much sense because the Bills don't need a left tackle.

You don't take a very good left tackle and move him to right tackle to be replaced by a rookie.

Remember Mike Williams?Or they could take a right tackle and keep him at right tackle. There's nothing wrong with pro bowl bookends.

And not taking an OT because one busted over a decade ago doesn't make a lot of sense.

By that logic, we should never take a DE, S, CB, or QB.

Yasgur's Farm
02-27-2014, 06:26 PM
If it comes down to picking 1 of the 3 top OT's, or mild reaching Ebron... Guess what?
But I prefer Mack or Wadkins over all 4.

The Jokeman
02-27-2014, 06:32 PM

Remember Mike Williams?

Most that are calling us to draft a rookie aren't asking him to replace Glenn at LT just yet. Instead keep Glenn where he is and make the rookie a RT unless he proves to be more talented than Glenn than you talk about shifting him either to RT or even LG (as this is where he played the most games in his college career). The Mike Williams comparison is a bad argument as he was a RT at Texas and turned out to be a RT here and eventually a OG because he fell apart after a strong rookie season. Yet too many fans projected that he play LT because his draft position and the belief that just because Chris Simms was left handed that Williams would be good enough to protect the blindside of a right handed QB. Also by most reports McKinnie was the better prospect yet Williams' interview/combine work and speculation that McKinnie all lead us to take Mike instead. Personally I'm okay taking one of the top LT prospects and shifting him to RT as mentioned before last year's top pick played RT as did the 4th pick last year. The only way I pass on one of the top OT prospects is if Mack is still on the board. I also liked the idea of Moseley over Lewan prior to the combine but my thoughts may have switched depending what we do in free agency as think if we can add a LB to man the middle am okay with it. As to me you can never have too much talent on the O-line because you never know when one will go down with an injury and helps to have a good player replace him.

sudzy
02-27-2014, 06:37 PM
Going all in on EJ, is like going all in with a pair of deuces.

The Jokeman
02-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Going all in on EJ, is like going all in with a pair of deuces.

I'll say it as often as I can. The first word in the phrase franchise QB is franchise, you build a better team around EJ he can do more. Also I build with veteran skill positions since we already have some young pieces in Woods, Goodwin, Graham and possibly Gragg. Bring in a James Jones and Brandon Pettigrew and this offense might start make some and a Lewan to man RT and another rookie or low cost vet at LG and this offense is looking a whole lot better.

sudzy
02-28-2014, 04:52 AM
I'll say it as often as I can. The first word in the phrase franchise QB is franchise, you build a better team around EJ he can do more. Also I build with veteran skill positions since we already have some young pieces in Woods, Goodwin, Graham and possibly Gragg. Bring in a James Jones and Brandon Pettigrew and this offense might start make some and a Lewan to man RT and another rookie or low cost vet at LG and this offense is looking a whole lot better.

And I'll say this as often as I can. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken crap, no matter how much stuff you put in with it, it still tastes like crap. EJ is no franchise QB even if you put him on the Broncos.

YardRat
02-28-2014, 06:10 AM

Yeah, too bad Gronk and Graham weren't who they are now, back when they were drafted.

I could probably find some posts from 2010 where those clamoring for a TE were screaming "If the Bills don't take Jermaine Gresham at #9, they are stoopid."

feldspar
02-28-2014, 06:59 AM
Or they could take a right tackle and keep him at right tackle. There's nothing wrong with pro bowl bookends.

yeah, the Eagles drafted a Tackle 4th overall last year, and they have Jason Peters playing Left Tackle. They just extended Peters through 2018 too.

GingerP
02-28-2014, 07:13 AM
yeah, the Eagles drafted a Tackle 4th overall last year, and they have Jason Peters playing Left Tackle. They just extended Peters through 2018 too.

They also have arguably the best OL in the NFL, or at least one of the best. Go figure.

jdaltroy5
02-28-2014, 07:45 AM

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/uploads/1326173745/gallery_70524_7_9239.jpg

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or agreeing with me.

Uncle Jesse
02-28-2014, 07:57 AM
They also have arguably the best OL in the NFL, or at least one of the best. Go figure.

THEY ALREADY HAVE PLAY MAKERS!! How can you people not see that? Of course they are going to shore up their line, they have the luxury to do that. We dont' have McCoy/Jackson/Maclin/Cooper already in place for our young QB.

feldspar
02-28-2014, 08:28 AM
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or agreeing with me.

LOL. I'm kind of hoping the Bills are able to get Jake Matthews, so I guess I tend to agree.

better days
02-28-2014, 08:39 AM
THEY ALREADY HAVE PLAY MAKERS!! How can you people not see that? Of course they are going to shore up their line, they have the luxury to do that. We dont' have McCoy/Jackson/Maclin/Cooper already in place for our young QB.

The Bills have Spiller/Freddie/Stevie/Woods/Goodwin already in place for our young QB.

THEY ALREADY HAVE PLAY MAKERS!! How can you people not see that?

jdaltroy5
02-28-2014, 08:45 AM
But they weren't really considered elite playmakers going into the 2013 draft.

They were mostly pedestrian or above average in 2012.

McCoy rushed for 840 yards, 4.2 YPC, and 2 TDs.
Maclin had 69 catches for 857 yards and 7 TDs.
Jackson had 45 catches for 700 yards and 2 TDs.
Cooper had 23 catches for 250 yards and 3 TDs.

Compare that to the Bills roster and it's not that far off. It's not like they were bursting at the seams with talent.

Uncle Jesse
02-28-2014, 09:38 AM
But they weren't really considered elite playmakers going into the 2013 draft.

They were mostly pedestrian or above average in 2012.

McCoy rushed for 840 yards, 4.2 YPC, and 2 TDs.
Maclin had 69 catches for 857 yards and 7 TDs.
Jackson had 45 catches for 700 yards and 2 TDs.
Cooper had 23 catches for 250 yards and 3 TDs.

Compare that to the Bills roster and it's not that far off. It's not like they were bursting at the seams with talent.

I would totally disagree that Maclin/Jackson and McCoy were certainly considers big time play makers heading into last years draft. That really isn't even a question. Come on.

The Eagles had a horrible season, Trent Edwards played in games for them.

McCoy missed 4 games, Jackson missed 5 games, Maclin missed 1 game and Cooper missed 5 games. Of course their stats were going to look average...

jdaltroy5
02-28-2014, 09:55 AM
I would totally disagree that Maclin/Jackson and McCoy were certainly considers big time play makers heading into last years draft. That really isn't even a question. Come on.

The Eagles had a horrible season, Trent Edwards played in games for them.

McCoy missed 4 games, Jackson missed 5 games, Maclin missed 1 game and Cooper missed 5 games. Of course their stats were going to look average...
Cooper was crap, you can scratch him right off the list. He had 50 catches, 700 yards, and 5 TDs in three seasons COMBINED before this year.

McCoy is very good, but he was coming off of a down year that year. All in all, the difference between him and Spiller was marginal.

Same with Jackson. Compare his best numbers against Stevie's and the difference is negligible.

Maclin is obviously better than Woods at this point, but Woods has shown enough to make me believe he will be a playmaker. Throw in speedsters Goodwin and Graham along with the ageless Jackson and we actually have some playmakers on this team.

You're acting like Philly was already stocked with talent and they just needed a few pieces. In reality, they had the 4th overall pick for a reason.

I'm not against taking Watkins or Evans if they're still there at 9, but I also think it's prudent to beef up the OL for a young QB.

The biggest problem with any young QB is what they do under pressure. If you can give them more time to make good decisions, they can set their feet properly, make good reads, and make good throws. Not to mention, if you can give them a good, solid (or even dominant) run game it takes a lot of the pressure off of them.

Uncle Jesse
02-28-2014, 10:33 AM
Cooper was crap, you can scratch him right off the list. He had 50 catches, 700 yards, and 5 TDs in three seasons COMBINED before this year.

McCoy is very good, but he was coming off of a down year that year. All in all, the difference between him and Spiller was marginal.

Same with Jackson. Compare his best numbers against Stevie's and the difference is negligible.

Maclin is obviously better than Woods at this point, but Woods has shown enough to make me believe he will be a playmaker. Throw in speedsters Goodwin and Graham along with the ageless Jackson and we actually have some playmakers on this team.

You're acting like Philly was already stocked with talent and they just needed a few pieces. In reality, they had the 4th overall pick for a reason.

I'm not against taking Watkins or Evans if they're still there at 9, but I also think it's prudent to beef up the OL for a young QB.

The biggest problem with any young QB is what they do under pressure. If you can give them more time to make good decisions, they can set their feet properly, make good reads, and make good throws. Not to mention, if you can give them a good, solid (or even dominant) run game it takes a lot of the pressure off of them.

I think way more than not, Manuel had plenty of time to make reads, hell he checked down all the time. That wasn't a glaring issue for the Bills. LG was, but Legursky helped a bit (of course we need to still do better at LG than him) but overall, there was time to make plays.

Most of it falls on Manuel, because he was drafted higher than he should have been, and will likely prove most doubters right that he isn't anything more than a barely-average NFL starter. Pears true weakness was in run blocking, not pass blocking anyway.

jdaltroy5
02-28-2014, 10:49 AM
I think way more than not, Manuel had plenty of time to make reads, hell he checked down all the time. That wasn't a glaring issue for the Bills. LG was, but Legursky helped a bit (of course we need to still do better at LG than him) but overall, there was time to make plays.

Most of it falls on Manuel, because he was drafted higher than he should have been, and will likely prove most doubters right that he isn't anything more than a barely-average NFL starter. Pears true weakness was in run blocking, not pass blocking anyway.Sometimes he did, sometimes guys were plowing into the pocket within a split second.

And a RG's strength is supposed to be his run blocking. If that's a true weakness, then that's all the more reason to replace him.

Uncle Jesse
02-28-2014, 11:39 AM
Sometimes he did, sometimes guys were plowing into the pocket within a split second.

And a RG's strength is supposed to be his run blocking. If that's a true weakness, then that's all the more reason to replace him.

I assume you meant RT. Sure, but I was telling you that's his weakness because yous stressed having time in the pocket for Manuel was key, which would refer to pass protection, which was his strength.

jdaltroy5
02-28-2014, 11:59 AM
I assume you meant RT. Sure, but I was telling you that's his weakness because yous stressed having time in the pocket for Manuel was key, which would refer to pass protection, which was his strength.
I did mean RT, thank you.

It is key, but I also mentioned that a dominant run game is instrumental as well.

I personally would like to follow the San Fran/Seattle mould of building a team by dominating the trenches.

BillsImpossible
02-28-2014, 06:18 PM
I did mean RT, thank you.

It is key, but I also mentioned that a dominant run game is instrumental as well.

I personally would like to follow the San Fran/Seattle mould of building a team by dominating the trenches.

Which reminds me of Marrone's recent comments about being able to, 'impose their will,' with the running game...which is great but how many teams in the NFL score the majority of their points on the ground these days?

Best offensive lineman or best play maker at 9? It's a very tough decision to make! But I lean more on drafting play making divas first, and hogs in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

jdaltroy5
03-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Which reminds me of Marrone's recent comments about being able to, 'impose their will,' with the running game...which is great but how many teams in the NFL score the majority of their points on the ground these days?

Best offensive lineman or best play maker at 9? It's a very tough decision to make! But I lean more on drafting play making divas first, and hogs in the 3rd and 4th rounds.Honestly, I'm ok with either.

If we take Evans or Watkins, I'll be happy. I will also be happy if we take any of the top 3 OTs as well.

Anything that will help Manuel turn into a franchise QB.

The entire regime depends on it.

Buddo
03-02-2014, 04:49 AM
Imho, no NFL O-Line is good enough until they can get the 3rd and 1 more often than not with a running play. I'd say that that is the sort of O-Line that Marrone wants when he talks about 'imposing their will', rather than implying that we are going to be a running team by and large.
The Bills haven't had an O-Line that could do the above, in donkey's years. In my recent memory, the only (small) period of time I felt confident on any 3rd and 1 (or short), was when Gailey used Brad Smith in the wildcat to get them. And that stopped when we got WRs crocked, so it was only for a part of one season.

Wood and Glenn are the only guys who you could say are 'safe' on our O-Line, in respect of starting. Urbik and Pears are ok, but are definitely able to be upgraded. Both of whom could be more suited to being backups - but very capable ones. Urbik didn't do too bad steeping in for Wood the other year, and Pears has played LT in the NFL in the past, so both could backup additional positions. That means we need 3 guys to better the O-Liine, so we might as well start early doing so, by drafting a guy to play tackle early.

Someone has been talking about going after Pettigrew in FA, and it's a move I'd be very much in favour of. The guy has talent, and has been underused in Detroit, simply due to them having Megatron. He would also help the line, as he's a far superior blocker to Chandler, and can be used in much the same way aside from that.

Tbh, if there was a LB available at #9 that we liked, then I'd probably be taking him in preference to anyone else, as I believe that position is one that will make the most difference to our D, as I now think we can get Byrd re-signed, but after that, if we just stacked up on linemen, I wouldn't be at all bothered.

swiper
03-02-2014, 05:36 AM
I don't think anyone disagrees with an upgrate at left guard or right tackle. The question is whether those positions garner using the 9th pick in the draft. Most personnel men will go elsewhere. It will be interesting. When Whaley gets to his time on the clock. He gets 15 minutes to look at the BPAs and his list of needs and come up with a pick. I can't believe they pushed this back to May 8th.

The Jokeman
03-02-2014, 11:36 AM
I don't think anyone disagrees with an upgrate at left guard or right tackle. The question is whether those positions garner using the 9th pick in the draft. Most personnel men will go elsewhere. It will be interesting. When Whaley gets to his time on the clock. He gets 15 minutes to look at the BPAs and his list of needs and come up with a pick. I can't believe they pushed this back to May 8th.

It was pushed back because of Easter is later this year and the Radio City Music Hall was booked for some other events. Which could be a good thing as means more time to find sign UFA and have a more set in roster before the draft.