PDA

View Full Version : Bills interviewed RB Andre Williams at the Combine

X-Era
02-27-2014, 10:15 AM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2014/02/26/bills-were-1st-team-to-meet-with-rb-williams/

Good. I like it. I'd like to see them draft a RB in a mid to late round. I'd like fresh legs in the mix and someone who can run between the tackles. Williams fits that bill. He plays with a good forward lean and can blow back tacklers. He has very good tackle breaking ability. He has decent game speed. He won't outrun the quicker DB's but he will pile up yards in the short and intermediate range. What I like most about him is his vision. He moves around and quickly finds the holes and shifts into the open spaces with ease. He reminds me a bit of Freddy in that regard.

For reference, each team is allowed 60 interviews at the Combine. To me that means it's genuine interest not due diligence.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ujt1S9P2XHE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

jimmifli
02-27-2014, 10:26 AM
ITS HAPPENING!

BidsJr
02-27-2014, 10:40 AM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2014/02/26/bills-were-1st-team-to-meet-with-rb-williams/

Good. I like it. I'd like to see them draft a RB in a mid to late round. I'd like fresh legs in the mix and someone who can run between the tackles. Williams fits that bill. He plays with a good forward lean and can blow back tacklers. He has very good tackle breaking ability. He has decent game speed. He won't outrun the quicker DB's but he will pile up yards in the short and intermediate range. What I like most about him is his vision. He moves around and quickly finds the holes and shifts into the open spaces with ease. He reminds me a bit of Freddy in that regard.

For reference, each team is allowed 60 interviews at the Combine. To me that means it's genuine interest not due diligence.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ujt1S9P2XHE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

His numbers at the combine were awesome. I bet he goes rd 2-3. Hopefully to us.

I know I am in the minority, but I see RB as a huge need.

more cowbell
02-27-2014, 10:50 AM
Love it. Can never have enough running backs. Plus Jackson is in the last year of his deal and Percy Harvin Jr. Can't break tackles if his life depended on it. We need someone to move the chains.

JoeMama
03-01-2014, 08:55 AM
Love it. Can never have enough running backs. Plus Jackson is in the last year of his deal and Percy Harvin Jr. Can't break tackles if his life depended on it. We need someone to move the chains.

CJ Spiller was #1 in forced missed tackles AND yards after contact in 2012. He can and does shake tacklers.

I have no idea why CJ fell off the face of the earth in 2013. Used incorrectly in the new system? Nagging high ankle sprain? Mental slump that impaired his decision making?

I also don't know what to make of CJ's future in Buffalo at this point.

But do I know that CJ Spiller was an elite RB in the tail end of 2011 and the entirety of 2012.

X-Era
03-01-2014, 09:00 AM
CJ Spiller was #1 in forced missed tackles AND yards after contact in 2012. He can and does shake tacklers.

I have no idea why CJ fell off the face of the earth in 2013. Used incorrectly in the new system? Nagging high ankle sprain? Mental slump that impaired his decision making?

I also don't know what to make of CJ's future in Buffalo at this point.

But do I know that CJ Spiller was an elite RB in the tail end of 2011 and the entirety of 2012.
He was banged up with that ankle all year. You could tell it really affected him. Hopefully he's back to 100% next year. I still feel he's one of the most dynamic RB's in the league.

CleveSteve
03-03-2014, 04:02 PM
I'm actually not a fan of Williams. I just got my Running back rankings up yesterday, for anyone who is interested. Some of the consensus guys I agree on, but others I really don't see the skill there.

http://www.cornerblitz.com/2014/Rankings/Post-Combine/RB.aspx

1. Bishop Sankey, Washington: Bishop Sankey is, in my opinion, the most talented overall running back in this draft. He has a terrific skillset of moves, vision, balance, speed, and receiving ability. He has an ability to take a play going nowhere and make something very positive of it. He has the frame and running style to be a feature back in the NFL and may actually get better as he moves up a level and no longer has to be the focal point of the offense. (vs. Stanford, Oregon, UCLA, Cal)
2. Carlos Hyde, Ohio State: I was hesitant to put Hyde this high, since his line was so dominant over the past two years, but Hyde really does have a good skillset as a running back. Carlos Hyde is obviously very strong and large, but he also makes smart cuts, is a good receiver out of the backfield, and is a solid pass protector. Hyde also has the speed to break away from defenders to make big plays happen. (vs. Northwestern, Iowa, Penn St, Michigan, Michigan St.)
3. Lache Seastrunk, Baylor: Seastrunk is one of the most explosive backs in the draft. He can slip through small holes at the line of scrimmage and has breakaway speed and good balance. He wasn't often used as a receiver, but was very effective in that role when he was called upon. He needs work as a pass protector. (vs. Kansas St, Texas, West Virginia, and Central Florida)
4. James White, Wisconsin: Good burst and sets up blocks well. I like him and I think Wisconsin's OL is living on their past reputation a little. I think he would probably be "rated" higher in the media if Gordon wasn't on his team and maybe if he had a more interesting name. Good cuts, good receiver, nice speed, and a decent pass protector... White is certainly one of the most-complete backs in the class. (vs. Arizona State, Ohio State, South Carolina)
5. Devonta Freeman, Florida State: Speed to get to the corner. Can make a positive play out of a busted one. Very tough runner. Always fighting for positive yardage and has fumbled in the past for this reason. Good feet to avoid the trash underneath him. Sells out on pass protection. Follows his blocking well. Can get pinballed due to his lack of size, which is my primary concern about his NFL potential. (Clemson, Duke, Auburn)
6. Jeremy Hill, LSU: Follows fullback well, anticipating openings that will pop up after FB engages. Gets a good head of steam up then is hard to bring down. More buildup speed than sudden speed. Isn't going to take many pitches around the corner, but will bounce it outside if the middle is clogged. Very strong, but not a good pass protector. Most success comes on run up the middle. (vs. Auburn, Arkansas, Mississippi St.)
7. Terrance West, Towson: Really good patience and knows when to cut. Good change-of-direction. He doesn't make the highlight, ankle-breaking circus moves but his cuts are smart and optimal. Good speed at the FCS level. Big and strong, too. Absolutely demolished Eastern Illinois in the playoff game. Shows the ability to play well in poor field conditions and in good ones. Can have a long career in the NFL in that he is big without too low of body fat, and always seems to avoid direct hits despite his size. Played with two fullbacks at Towson and will likely face new challenges and many teams don't use a fullback in their primary offense. (vs. Eastern Illinois, Eastern Washington, and North Dakota State).
8. Tre Mason, Auburn: Good lateral agility, not a lot of power to move defenders but will sometimes shake off arm tackles. Will duck his head to fall forward when play is going nowhere. When running up the middle, will look for the best hole and lurch forward to get what he can, limiting opportunities for big runs. Plenty of speed to get to the corner. Gets physically overwhelmed in pass protection. May be an effective kick returner in the NFL. (vs. FSU, Alabama, Missouri)
9. Isaiah Crowell, South Alabama: The former SEC Freshman of the Year has breakaway speed and sets up his blocks very well. He can shake off tacklers much bigger than him and makes maddening cuts. Uses his off-arm extremely well. Some question marks as to why he didn't dominate lesser competition after transferring to South Alabama, but he has terrific talent. (vs. South Carolina {2011}, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, and Jackson St.)
10. Adam Muema, San Diego State: Really nimble feet, finds small holes, turns upfield and makes good moves. Follows his blocking well and knows when to break upfield. He does not have great speed. Has kind of a weird body type for a running back, I'd like to see some more upper-body strength, but I like him later in the draft. (vs. Buffalo and Nevada)
11. Marion Grice, Arizona State: Good combination of size, speed and strength. Showed a lot of versatility in college. Very talented receiver. Was a gunner in punt coverage and a kick returner. Is not a very explosive runner and gets in trouble going east-to-west. Decent pass protector.Doesn't show great vision and doesn't really create yardage on his own. (Wisconsin, USC, UCLA)
12. Charles Sims, West Virginia: Good effort, driving legs until play is over. Does not have speed to get outside and turn the corner or run away from defensive backs. Good awareness in pass protection. Doesn't show the improvisational skills you like to see in a top back. Can break arm tackles but doesn't always do a good job to set up defenders in that position. Capable reveiver. Does not show a strong burst. Sometimes braces for contact too much behind line of scrimmage. (vs. TCU, Ok State, Baylor, Senior Bowl)
13. Antonio Andrews, Western Kentucky: The NCAA's all-purpose yardage leader in each of the last two seasons, Antonio Andrews excelled in the FBS as a running back, receiver, and returner. He showed at the Senior Bowl that he is a good pass protector as well. The biggest thing holding him back from being higher on this list is a lack of speed. This is a very good class of backs and that shortcoming is difficult to mask. (vs. Tennessee, Arkansas State, Senior Bowl)
14. Ka'Deem Carey, Arizona: I don't like him nearly as much as he's been talked up. He needs a lot of help at the line of scrimmage to do anything. If he gets the ball in the open field he can beat people with power and moves. He doesn't show an ability to find the small holes. Doesn't always make good decisions behind the line of scrimmage. In a lot of ways, he reminds me of Trent Richardson, for good and for bad. I don't know that his game translates well to the NFL. (Boston College, Oklahoma State, Colorado, Oregon)
15. Branden Oliver, Buffalo: Mighty mouse, MJD-type. Decent receiver and quick cuts. Good power for a small guy. Saw four Buffalo games this year (thanks to the MAC being on ESPN Tuesdays and Wednesdays)... really liked him after the first one but wasn't as impressive in the next two. Showed well in the bowl game. (vs. Ohio, Toledo, Bowling Green, and San Diego State).
16. Storm Johnson, Central Florida: Fumbled four times in the three games I watched him in. He's a huge target but doesn't avoid tacklers like Hyde. Much broader than he is strong. Doesn't have real good moves. He's basically a speed back in a power back's body. (vs. Houston, South Florida, & Baylor)
17. Andre Williams, Boston College: Straight-ahead runner. Doesn't show playmaking ability. Can seem lumbering at times behind the line of scrimmage and will miss cutback opportunities. Not explosive and times faster than he plays. May not even be the best running back on his team. Has good strength if he can get defenders to not hit him head-on. Most of his big running plays came off of excellent blocks by LG #76 Bobby Vadardo. Quality pass protector.(vs. Arizona, Virginia Tech, Florida State)
18. Tyler Gaffney, Stanford: Times with better speed than he plays. Very tough and will hit to create and extra yard or two over taking a gamble for a bigger run. Was the benificiary of a run-based offense at Stanford and powerful blockers that wore down defenses. Has excellent endurance, putting up 35-40 carries some games. Receiving skills are adequate. Good in pass protection. Issues with ball security. (Oregon, USC)
19. Jerick McKinnon, Georgia Southern: Intriguing player because of his size, speed, and strength combination, but I've only seen one game of his: the win against Florida. He piled up a lot of yards on tosses in that game as he ran away from SEC defenders but he didn't break a single tackle in that game. I'd be hard-pressed to spend a draft pick on him based on what I saw with so many talented RBs in this class. (vs. Florida)
20. De'Anthony Thomas, Oregon: Excellent speed, toughness, and agility, but it is unlikely to compensate for his diminutive stature in the NFL. There is just not precedent in the NFL over the past 20 years for someone of his size to be more than a bit player, and it's hard to rate a bit player higher than this. It's not even clear he was the best running back on his team this year. (vs. Oregon St, Tennessee, Stanford, Virginia)
21. Jerome Smith, Syracuse: Runs with decent speed and good power, but too out of control to recognize where the big play is and capitalize on it with regularity. (vs. Penn St and NC State)
22. Kapri Bibbs, Colorado State: I don't understand why he left school. He did not show good elusiveness or power. He was the benificiary of a highly-talented blocking group in front of him. I would think the prospect of a free college education would be enough for a player who at best can hope for a fringe role in the NFL. (vs. San Jose State)