PDA

View Full Version : Sabres forced to use former video scout as its backup goalie

Meathead
02-28-2014, 07:54 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhmhydyIAAADuAo.png

Something crazy happened Friday night in Buffalo.

The Sabres traded their No. 1 goalie Ryan Miller to the St. Louis Blues.

That's not the crazy part.

This is: All NHL teams must have a backup goalie so the Sabres, desperate for a body after the late trade, picked the team's former video scout, Ryan Vinz, to dress for Friday's game against the San Jose Sharks.

The only problem with that? Vinz, 28, isn't a professional hockey player. He's the team's former video scout who tried to walk-on to his college team while at Clarkson but didn't make the squad. Instead, he served as Clarkson's video coordinator for four years.

He's currently the Director of Hockey Technology at a company in Buffalo called HarborCenter.

id never wish for enroth to get hurt but cmon how can you NOT want to see what would happen if this guy had to play? we would all take the memory of this game to the day we die

OpIv37
02-28-2014, 08:02 PM
highest paid video scout in history.... at least for one night.

Meathead
02-28-2014, 08:05 PM
a mild concussion with ten minutes left in the third wouldnt be all that bad for enroth would it?

Skooby
02-28-2014, 08:30 PM
Talk about dangerous jobs, he's a true waterboy.

ckg927
02-28-2014, 09:00 PM
I know the guy's retired...BUT...couldn't they have asked Marty Biron if he'd serve as the backup?

YardRat
02-28-2014, 09:07 PM
How cool is that?

ckg927
02-28-2014, 09:08 PM

Something crazy happened Friday night in Buffalo.

The Sabres traded their No. 1 goalie Ryan Miller to the St. Louis Blues.

That's not the crazy part.

This is: All NHL teams must have a backup goalie so the Sabres, desperate for a body after the late trade, picked the team's former video scout, Ryan Vinz, to dress for Friday's game against the San Jose Sharks.

The only problem with that? Vinz, 28, isn't a professional hockey player. He's the team's former video scout who tried to walk-on to his college team while at Clarkson but didn't make the squad. Instead, he served as Clarkson's video coordinator for four years.

He's currently the Director of Hockey Technology at a company in Buffalo called HarborCenter.

id never wish for enroth to get hurt but cmon how can you NOT want to see what would happen if this guy had to play? we would all take the memory of this game to the day we die

Trust me, you wouldn't. We've already gone through this. A season or two ago, the OHL's Erie Otters were down one goalie(he was injured a couple of days before). They had to put their backup in and he promptly went down with an injury. So they have no one to step in. Enter Connor Crisp, normally a center for the Otters. And he got shelled, to put it nicely. Niagara wound up winning the game 13-4. The IceDogs fans gave Crisp a standing O after the game(and he wound up getting 1st star honors-certainly not for his performance :) )and the Niagara players, too, gave Crisp some props afterwards. Erie took quite the drubbing afterward for how they handled the matter.

Meathead
02-28-2014, 09:38 PM
well the diff here i think is that this guy has been a real goalie his whole life (according to him). granted he was never good enough to make even a farm system roster but hes at least consistently played the position over the years. and of course its the actual nhl which would make it ten times more interesting than even the ahl or ohl

im sure it would have been similarly ugly but i still think it would have been a fun memorable thing to watch. heck i played goalie when i was in hs and i would have LOVED to get twenty five goals poured in on me in ten minutes if it was any level of pro at all. thats what i would have been thinking about the whole time if this guy managed to actually get in the game

WagonCircler
02-28-2014, 11:48 PM
I can't believe they didn't talk (more) about this on the broadcast. They showed the guy, put his title under his name while Rick announced it, and just moved on.

I was like 'Wait.....WHAT????"

How cool to be that guy for a day.

YardRat
03-01-2014, 05:26 AM
If that were me, I'd have that picture blown up and hung in the den already this morning.

chernobylwraiths
03-01-2014, 06:19 AM
If that were me, I'd have that picture blown up and hung in the den already this morning.

Picture, contract, jersey, ... MAN that would be cool

Skooby
03-01-2014, 07:01 AM
Picture, contract, jersey, ... MAN that would be cool

"Goalie for a day" is going to be made into a movie & win an academy award.

sukie
03-05-2014, 10:21 AM
Did he participate in the pre game warmup?

gebobs
03-05-2014, 10:58 AM

Set in Cleveland.

SkateZilla
03-05-2014, 12:21 PM
This happens more than you know, just not in Buffalo.

ICRockets
03-05-2014, 12:34 PM

Just as long as it doesn't come out the same year as the movie I've had in my head for the last decade: Pope For a Day, starring Pauly Shore as Pope For a Day.