X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Fred Jackson Deserves To Start On Opening Day

"War Horse." Look up the definition in the football dictionary, and a picture of Fred Jackson stands tall and proud as a Buffalo Bill.

Remember how CJ Spiller got the starting nod in 2013?

Remember how quickly that changed after Fred got his carries?

The man had to earn respect from a new coaching staff once again, and proved people wrong, again.

Fred Jackson truly deserves his moment in the 2014 NFL sun. The national media doesn't talk about him much, even though he is the best running back the Buffalo Bills have had since Thurman Thomas.

Only Thurmal and the Juice have more rushing yards than Fred Jackson does as a Buffalo Bill.

He produces every year, is questioned every year, and still doesn't get the respect he deserves every year.

Based on performance alone, Jackson deserves the majority of rushing attempts in 2014.

Let Spiller wait to be the number 1 back like Jackson has done for his entire career.
  • feldspar
    • Mar 2007

Re: Fred Jackson Deserves To Start On Opening Day

Spiller is the more talented back, and there is no doubt about that. Jackson and Spiller have different skill-sets, so they compliment each other.

This kind of crap makes me chuckle, as if the Bills have to choose one over the other. If one of them "starts," that just means that they take the first offensive snap. In 2011, lots of fans were ready to call Jackson the best running back in football, or somewhere close to that...and Spiller was a bust. In 2012, Spiller was the second-coming, and maybe the Bills should trade Freddie for whatever they can get. Then, after this year, it's that Spiller had a flash-in-the-pan year, and it's really Jackson that is the real deal. Watch a lot of fans flip again after 2014.

Spiller was hurt all year in 2013, basically. He is the better running back. Freddie is a better blocker...he can often get the tougher yards, is a leader, and has heart...but Spiller is the better runner and the bigger threat.

If Freddie wants to last, he has to share carries quite a bit as well. The Bills are lucky to have both Spiller and Jackson, and this should NEVER be treated as a problem or popularity contest. You don't have to put one down to talk up the other.

I get it...Freddie is a fan favorite and everyone loves the perennial underdog. I feel the same way. But Spiller needs to see the ball early and often in every game.
    Last edited by feldspar; 02-28-2014, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

No, Freddie is the better running back. Hopefully Spiller can stay healthy, get his share of carries, and break the occasional big play. I really doubt that CJ, even if he can eventually slide into the '#1' role, would ever be able to match FJ in blocking, running between the tackles, leadership...even receiving.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mace
        Haha...yeah you think so ?
        • Mar 2013

I have no argument. Start Jackson until he crumbles and you can figure out what you can do with Spiller, though we're running out of time to.

But geez no Feldspar, without offense to Spiller, running him early and often just doesn't work well. He's the lightning back you need a thunder for, is supposed to catch in the space you didn't make, one on one with an LB, fly through the holes you didn't open.

Always liked Spiller the player, hated that we took him. They still don't know what to do with him. Jackson just plays if not spectacular. Plays bigger, plays meaner, runs harder though he's not big.

There's not really a debate. We're running out of time to use them.

Comment

• feldspar
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mace View Post
          I have no argument. Start Jackson until he crumbles and you can figure out what you can do with Spiller, though we're running out of time to.

But geez no Feldspar, without offense to Spiller, running him early and often just doesn't work well. He's the lightning back you need a thunder for, is supposed to catch in the space you didn't make, one on one with an LB, fly through the holes you didn't open.

Always liked Spiller the player, hated that we took him. They still don't know what to do with him. Jackson just plays if not spectacular. Plays bigger, plays meaner, runs harder though he's not big.

There's not really a debate. We're running out of time to use them.
          I said he needs to see the ball, not necessary on runs every time. If you REALLY want to go with Manuel, the Bills should have the screen be a bigger part of the game-plan. Get a couple of more guys on the line, and put the ball in that hands in your playmakers. Get the blockers out front in an effort to get Spiller in space. It's not rocket science.

They should do the same thing with Freddie, too.

Comment

• Meathead
            Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
            • Jul 2002

spiller was far more effective under chan than hes been so far with marrone and hackett. they need to turn spiller into more of a brian westbook or something like that, get him out into space instead of trying to force him btwn the tackles

jackson totally proved me wrong last season as he never hit the wall i was sure was coming. but he cant elude that reality forever and now the clock is ticking louder than amanda bynes medication alarm. i think they would be wise to try to spread freddies snaps a little thinner to extend his peak ability a little longer
            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• tampabay25690
              • Feb 2004

It's March let's see how the rest of spring and summer go!
              GO Gators!!!!!!
              GO GATORS!!

Comment

• BillsFever21
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                "War Horse." Look up the definition in the football dictionary, and a picture of Fred Jackson stands tall and proud as a Buffalo Bill.

Remember how CJ Spiller got the starting nod in 2013?

Remember how quickly that changed after Fred got his carries?

The man had to earn respect from a new coaching staff once again, and proved people wrong, again.

Fred Jackson truly deserves his moment in the 2014 NFL sun. The national media doesn't talk about him much, even though he is the best running back the Buffalo Bills have had since Thurman Thomas.

Only Thurmal and the Juice have more rushing yards than Fred Jackson does as a Buffalo Bill.

He produces every year, is questioned every year, and still doesn't get the respect he deserves every year.

Based on performance alone, Jackson deserves the majority of rushing attempts in 2014.

Let Spiller wait to be the number 1 back like Jackson has done for his entire career.
                How long do you think Jackson has left in him? At least effective years while getting 200 touches or more a year? If we can get another season like last out of Jackson we can consider ourselves lucky. Time catches up with everyone and I'm still shocked he didn't end up on IR like the two seasons before that.

He came up limping while holding his knee many times. I think determination got him through most of the season. If he can make it through another one then we would be very fortunate. Especially if he is touching the ball 200+ times again.

Comment

• Luisito23
                  Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by tampabay25690 View Post
                  It's March let's see how the rest of spring and summer go!

I don't need that long to know the obvious...

Fred is the better back and deserves to start unless injured.
                  "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                  ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                  ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                  ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                    I said he needs to see the ball, not necessary on runs every time. If you REALLY want to go with Manuel, the Bills should have the screen be a bigger part of the game-plan. Get a couple of more guys on the line, and put the ball in that hands in your playmakers. Get the blockers out front in an effort to get Spiller in space. It's not rocket science.

They should do the same thing with Freddie, too.
                    Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                    spiller was far more effective under chan than hes been so far with marrone and hackett. they need to turn spiller into more of a brian westbook or something like that, get him out into space instead of trying to force him btwn the tackles

jackson totally proved me wrong last season as he never hit the wall i was sure was coming. but he cant elude that reality forever and now the clock is ticking louder than amanda bynes medication alarm. i think they would be wise to try to spread freddies snaps a little thinner to extend his peak ability a little longer
                    IMO the biggest problem with Spiller and the offense last season, and you both alluded to it, was the lack of creativity in getting him the ball....but a #1, every down back shouldn't need to rely on creativity to get production. It seems to me every time Spiller took the ball on a traditional hand-off, the defense just jail-breaked to the RB and stretched Spiller out until somebody eventually caught him, usually at or behind the line of scrimmage.

We need another young, multi-dimensional runner that brings toughness to the table to do the dirty work and eventually replace Freddie, and get Spiller out in space. An improved passing game would help a little bit also.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Famous Amos
                      • Jul 2013

I'm kind of terrified for Jackson's health going forward. War horse is right. More like Boxer the horse from Animal Farm. No regard for his body, Jackson keeps plugging away despite injuries to his knees. I have a ton of respect for him because he continually lays his health on the line for a team that never goes anywhere. I don't want to call him foolish but I wonder why he doesn't just hang it up and save his health. I could see that if we were just 8-8 and missed the playoffs due to inexperience or whatever, but at this point, the Bills don't really look any closer than they were under Gailey. Why keep playing? The Bills are fortunate to have him. He is the work horse and without him, the offense would sputter when needing those tough yards. In fact, having Jackson in the back field alleviates a lot of the pressure on Manual to tuck it and run.

I think Fred deserves an instant enshrinement to the ring of honor when he retires because he is the definition of a team player. Marrone was all about what it means to be a Bill when he first was hired. Just look at 22. That s a Bill. Just don't go and kill yourself for a team that really isn't worthy of your loyalty.
                      "Hate is a lack of imagination."
                      -Graham Greene

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

Spiller is more of a Percy Harvin wingback type. A few snaps at RB and maybe even more split wide as a WR. Just too slight of frame for inside running. I still like having him.

Put him in situations where his speed comes into play more often.

RB's are a dime a dozen. Middle/late round pick this year and another in the same range next year. Find a Vet, in addition.

Very aware of Fred's age and needs going forward but Spiller will always be a change of pace type in the backfield, who should be split wide more often, rather than standing on the sidelines.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Famous Amos
                          • Jul 2013

The Bills ought to think about how they will replace Jacksons contributions when he retires. Maybe a 3rd rounder this year or next.
                          "Hate is a lack of imagination."
                          -Graham Greene

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

The Bills need a RT, LG & RG.

That will help both Fred & CJ.

Comment

• JoeMama
                              Emotion Sickness
                              • Oct 2002

The Bills need to hire a mad scientist who can splice Freddy/CJ's DNA to create the world's greatest runningback.

Imagine CJ's speed with Freddy's vision and toughness.

That would be scary.
                              Last edited by JoeMama; 03-01-2014, 09:01 AM.
                              Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

Working...
                              X