PDA

View Full Version : I was really impressed with Robert Woods this year

xXSpIkes5IXx
03-01-2014, 12:46 PM
I know that Wood's production this year looked pedestrian (40 Catches 587 Yards 3TDs), but I was really impressed with his rookie season. He seems to be a really fluid route runner, and has a great catch radius/ball skills. Not to mention, If EJ is going to be a successful QB for us, Woods will be a big part of it. He averaged 50.75 YPG and had all of his TDs in the 8 games where him and EJ played together, as opposed to 27.4 with Thad as QB.

I know he isn't the biggest or fastest receiver, but he is definitely a building block. I think if Manuel had stayed healthy, he would have had a more eye opening season. Lets just hope he doesn't throw any more right handed hooks at defensive backs.

YardRat
03-01-2014, 12:49 PM
I like Woods, we were fortunate to snag him where we did.

Night Train
03-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Woods, along with Kiko,.. 2013 2nd round. A+

JoeMama
03-01-2014, 07:12 PM
Going back to 2009, our 2nd round picks have been very good.

Jairus Byrd
Andy Levitre
Torell Troup (the lone bust)
Aaron Williams (good first year, awful second year, good third year)
Cordy Glenn
Robert Woods
Kiko Alonso

The Jokeman
03-01-2014, 09:38 PM
I know that Wood's production this year looked pedestrian (40 Catches 587 Yards 3TDs), but I was really impressed with his rookie season. He seems to be a really fluid route runner, and has a great catch radius/ball skills. Not to mention, If EJ is going to be a successful QB for us, Woods will be a big part of it. He averaged 50.75 YPG and had all of his TDs in the 8 games where him and EJ played together, as opposed to 27.4 with Thad as QB.

I know he isn't the biggest or fastest receiver, but he is definitely a building block. I think if Manuel had stayed healthy, he would have had a more eye opening season. Lets just hope he doesn't throw any more right handed hooks at defensive backs.

Woods put up numbers that one would expect from a rookie. I'm all for him starting next year but still want to bring in a veteran (James Jones) to start with him on the outside and have Stevie man the slot. Then keep Graham/Goodwin around for depth guys and you could have the start of a good passing game. Then add in a guy like Brandon Pettigrew to play TE and things could take a really big upside turn. As to me Pettigrew a better blocking TE than Chandler and has shown he can be a decent move the chains TE that can grab 5-6 catches a game which would help a young QB like EJ out.

feldspar
03-01-2014, 09:38 PM
Going back to 2009, our 2nd round picks have been very good.

Jairus Byrd
Andy Levitre
Torell Troup (the lone bust)
Aaron Williams (good first year, awful second year, good third year)
Cordy Glenn
Robert Woods
Kiko Alonso

Cannot argue with that one iota. That's actually a fantastic track-record for the second round. Good call. Top-notch over recent time.

And I gotta pat myself on the back for loving Kiko Alonso from day one of his draft, which just adds to the legend. Aaron Williams obviously belongs at Safety too...as many of the fans knew before they switched him there.

The Jokeman
03-01-2014, 09:46 PM
Cannot argue with that one iota. That's actually a fantastic track-record for the second round. Good call. Top-notch over recent time.

And I gotta pat myself on the back for loving Kiko Alonso from day one of his draft, which just adds to the legend. Aaron Williams obviously belongs at Safety too...as many of the fans knew before they switched him there.

Time will tell about Williams as we have a new DC and thus far the only one that had any success with him was Pettine. I'm not saying Schwartz won't but I'm not ready to say Williams has turned the leaf. The same could be said of McKelvin as yes he was much better in 2013 but 2014 is going to be a prove to me you can do it again year for many of our great players from last year that didn't make the Pro Bowl (see Jerry Hughes) but that said still think we need to add to the talent we have in place and think adding a veteran LB and dime CB will help a lot. Guys I've penciled in my offseason are Jonathan Vilma and Aaron Berry.

feldspar
03-01-2014, 10:15 PM
Time will tell about Williams as we have a new DC and thus far the only one that had any success with him was Pettine. I'm not saying Schwartz won't but I'm not ready to say Williams has turned the leaf. The same could be said of McKelvin as yes he was much better in 2013 but 2014 is going to be a prove to me you can do it again year for many of our great players from last year that didn't make the Pro Bowl (see Jerry Hughes) but that said still think we need to add to the talent we have in place and think adding a veteran LB and dime CB will help a lot. Guys I've penciled in my offseason are Jonathan Vilma and Aaron Berry.

The screwed up part is that Schwartz will be the 4th Defensive Coordinator the Bills have had in the past 4 years.

2011: George Edwards
2012: Dave Wannstedt
2013: Mike Pettine
2014: Jim Schwartz

The Bills have a boatload of talent on the defensive side of the ball now IMO. A little bit of continuity never hurt anybody...there has been none at all.

JoeMama
03-02-2014, 04:51 PM
The screwed up part is that Schwartz will be the 4th Defensive Coordinator the Bills have had in the past 4 years.

2011: George Edwards
2012: Dave Wannstedt
2013: Mike Pettine
2014: Jim Schwartz

The Bills have a boatload of talent on the defensive side of the ball now IMO. A little bit of continuity never hurt anybody...there has been none at all.

Schwartz is walking into a dream scenario.

My expectations are maybe unrealistically high. But this D is loaded with talent at key positions. He should be able to push this D to the next level if he's the DC we want him to be.

jimmifli
03-02-2014, 10:26 PM
Josh Reed is a pretty good comparable. He was expected to go towards the end of the first round, he was the best route runner in the draft, great hands and was regarded as the most NFL ready. His rookie stats were pretty similar, and most fans expected big things from him.

He may be an impact player, but it's still too early to tell. A good rookie season just isn't enough. He needs to surpass Stevie as the number 1 target in 2014.

swiper
03-02-2014, 10:42 PM
Josh Reed and Robert Woods are nothing alike.