PDA

View Full Version : Mark Gaughan cap article

YardRat
03-02-2014, 07:10 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/bills-have-cap-space-to-make-big-moves-20140302

Some interesting bullet points...

Said Bills General Manager Doug Whaley: “We’re going to try to go after all our free agents that we have out there. Again, that all depends on what they perceive their value is compared to us, and we have a priority list, and we’ll go down that priority list. Either check them off or scratch them off. And we’ll just keep going down until we used up all our cap space and fulfill the needs that we have and hopefully get better as a team.”

While the league-wide, base-cap figure will be $133 million, the Bills’ “adjusted” cap is going to be about $150.8 million. That’s because the Bills had $17.8 million in unused space left over from last year’s cap that they were allowed to “roll over” into this year’s cap. Teams can roll over all or part of the left-over space. The Bills informed the league they were rolling over all of it, a league source confirmed. Why did they have so much space left over? They had rolled over extra space from the previous year, too (about $10 million). Rolling over space is a convenient and beneficial way to manage the cap and give a team more spending flexibility. The league average that was rolled over for 2014 was just over $6 million per team, according to the players’ union.

Teams are required to spend a minimum amount against the cap, under the terms of the CBA. For a four-year period from 2013 to 2016, each team must use up at least 89 percent of the league-wide cap space (not the team’s adjusted cap space). The Bills used up 94 percent of the base cap space in 2013 and already are at 94 percent this year.

How do the Bills stand in real cash spending? In 2013, it’s believed they were between 16th and 20th in the league. In 2012, they were third in the league, according to ESPN senior writer John Clayton. Buffalo spent about $18 million over the cap in real cash that season. In 2011, they were about 16th. The Bills are slightly over the cap in cash spending since 2009.

BidsJr
03-02-2014, 07:16 AM
NO NO NO NO NO!

Ralph is cheap.

Fletch
03-02-2014, 09:17 AM
Mario gets paid almost $14M this year.

Who thinks he's worth that? He's still the highest paid defensive player in the league and next to worthless against the run.

jdaltroy5
03-02-2014, 10:53 AM
Mario gets paid almost $14M this year.

Who thinks he's worth that? He's still the highest paid defensive player in the league and next to worthless against the run.

I don't know what you're watching, but he's actually very good against the run.

OpIv37
03-02-2014, 09:24 PM
NO NO NO NO NO!

Ralph is cheap.
Ralph is cheap. There is money he could spend that he isn't, and there has been going back at least 10 years. Where do you think all that rollover cap space comes from?

Night Train
03-03-2014, 05:01 AM
In reading his article concerning upcoming contracts, I'd

1. Work on a new Aaron Williams contract now. He's a keeper.
2. Let Hughes and Spiller play this year and see how much impact they have to determine their true worth. Spiller may be best used as a change of pace runner behind the starter and a part-time WR.
3. Fred is going to be 33-34 after this season. He gets 1 year deals, if any. Reality is a new starting RB is coming.

X-Era
03-03-2014, 05:26 AM
I like this part:

"The Bills have about $25 million in cap space with a week to go before the March 11 opening of the unrestricted free-agent shopping season, according to Buffalo News figures."

stuckincincy
03-03-2014, 09:52 AM
I like this part:

"The Bills have about $25 million in cap space with a week to go before the March 11 opening of the unrestricted free-agent shopping season, according to Buffalo News figures."

I wonder how much of that will be devoted to the rookie pool, tenders, and a pad for injuries during camp and the season? Given the small number of their own FAs, they shouldn't have to reserve much for tenders:

Scott Chandler, TE
Thomas Welch, OT
Alex Carrington, DE
Arthur Moats, LB
Jairus Byrd, S
Jim Leonhard, S
Dan Carpenter, K.

I'd guess that would eat up 13M or so, leaving 12 for street FAs and to sign some of their own non-FAs to future deals.