PDA

View Full Version : What do you think BUF will do to improve their run defense?

stuckincincy
03-03-2014, 10:20 AM
Mack? Another LB? A DE with run defense skills? A different strategy? - not sure about that...they've been fairly poor at it before Pettine.

Fletch
03-03-2014, 10:45 AM
Mack? Another LB? A DE with run defense skills? A different strategy? - not sure about that...they've been fairly poor at it before Pettine.

IMO they'll deemphasize the passing D and this absurd overemphasis on sacks.

Sacks and pass pressure are fine, but if you allow every team that has second-rate RBs to log 200 rushing yards, or close to it, it's a one-step-forward, two-steps-backwards approach.

Sacks will end up being down again next season and everyone will be crying the blues because Pettine left when that wasn't a bad thing.

Mario sucks against the run, we have no LBs that excel against it. Alonso was very very good in his rookie season, but he's the only LB we have that's any good against the run.

We logged a lot of sacks this season, but in most games where we got them against good QBs, those teams had no trouble scoring anyway and beat us. So how much value many of those sacks actually were is entirely up for debate. One must consider the entire D, not merely one aspect of it like the FO and Pettine did last year. They told us that that's what they were going to do tho, I suppose that they just didn't mention that it would be at the expense of the run D, although I doubt that they knew. They probably just figured, foolishly, that if the pass D improves the other aspects of the D must remain the same or improve too.

FWIW, we played only one team that featured a RB among the top 16 yardage RBs this season. Imagine if we had played a bunch of teams with top RBs.

As to the Draft, who knows, but I once again expect the team to reach for a pick like they usually have in recent Drafts. Maybin, Spiller, Manuel, McKelvin in four of the last six, four of which Whaley was here for.

EDS
03-03-2014, 10:58 AM
I think over emphasizing one aspect of the defense is bad unless you know exactly what to expect from the offense. By way of example, if the Bills had Payton Manning or Drew Brees at QB and you KNOW you can score points and will often play with a lead, then building the defense to stop the pass makes sense as teams will need to pass the ball to get back into the game.

since the Bills really do not know what they will get from their offense (if you are honest will yourself you have to admit there is a great deal of development still needed at QB, offensive coordinator, WR, etc.) they need to build a functionally sound defense across the board.

Personally, Idon't see them making many moves on the DL because they won't want to bench the guys they have given the investments they have in them. An all around playmaking ILB would make a lot of sense, particularly if they are kicking Kiko outside. Not sure where that guy is comng from though.

Fletch
03-03-2014, 11:19 AM
I think over emphasizing one aspect of the defense is bad unless you know exactly what to expect from the offense. By way of example, if the Bills had Payton Manning or Drew Brees at QB and you KNOW you can score points and will often play with a lead, then building the defense to stop the pass makes sense as teams will need to pass the ball to get back into the game.

since the Bills really do not know what they will get from their offense (if you are honest will yourself you have to admit there is a great deal of development still needed at QB, offensive coordinator, WR, etc.) they need to build a functionally sound defense across the board.

Personally, Idon't see them making many moves on the DL because they won't want to bench the guys they have given the investments they have in them. An all around playmaking ILB would make a lot of sense, particularly if they are kicking Kiko outside. Not sure where that guy is comng from though.

They definitely need LB help, Kiko's the only average or better LB that they have.

As to your post, bravo! Now, are you an NFL GM? I doubt it or you wouldn't be posting here. Are you or were you ever an NFL HC, DC, or OC? I doubt it as well.

So how come you know this, but our crack FO and coaching staff didn't nor does?

See where I'm going here.

Night Train
03-03-2014, 11:33 AM
If the Schwartz " Wide 9 " is implemented, then 2 bigger ILB's who can fill the holes between the DE's and DT's are a must. Another big DT commanding a double team (Ted Washington type) next to Dareus would also help, like ND's Louis Nix.

stuckincincy
03-03-2014, 12:28 PM
If the Schwartz " Wide 9 " is implemented, then 2 bigger ILB's who can fill the holes between the DE's and DT's are a must. Another big DT commanding a double team (Ted Washington type) next to Dareus would also help, like ND's Louis Nix.

I wouldn't be surprised if they turned an eye to a DT on day two. KW has had his health nicks and isn't getting any younger. DE, too.

Myself, I would have tested Byrd's mettle and sent him in time to time to see if he could stop the bleeding re run defense. If he balked, well, something would have been learned.

YardRat
03-03-2014, 02:23 PM
I hope they sign Brandon Spikes and move Kiko to outside in the base D. Sign somebody like Cam Thomas in FA to replace KW and let Kyle spell him on obvious passing downs. Wouldn't hurt to spend a couple of draft picks on another ILB (Skov?) and DT (McCullers or Gaston).

The biggest issue with Buffalo's run defense is they are too light in the ass up the middle.

EDS
03-03-2014, 02:44 PM
I hope they sign Brandon Spikes and move Kiko to outside in the base D. Sign somebody like Cam Thomas in FA to replace KW and let Kyle spell him on obvious passing downs. Wouldn't hurt to spend a couple of draft picks on another ILB (Skov?) and DT (McCullers or Gaston).

The biggest issue with Buffalo's run defense is they are too light in the ass up the middle.

I don't think it is a size issue. The Bills front 7 is much bigger than Seattle's front 7, by way of example:

Clemons: 254
Mebane: 311
McDaniel: 305
Bennett: 274

Smith: 226
Wagner: 241
Irvin: 248

v.

Williams: 292
Williams: 303
Dareus: 331
Branch: 325 (even Carrington is 300)

Lawson: 240
Alonso: 238
Bradham: 241

YardRat
03-03-2014, 03:05 PM
I don't think it is a size issue. The Bills front 7 is much bigger than Seattle's front 7, by way of example:

v.

I should have been more specific, when I say 'light in the ass' I mean size AND strength. Both DT and MLB need guys that are able to lock on, stand up, and shed blockers instead of guessing and dodging to fill holes.

The last buffalo fan
03-04-2014, 10:13 AM

v.

Seattle D is young, sound, quick, smart and well coached ...... pretty close to what we have!

more cowbell
03-04-2014, 10:59 AM
They'll sign below average players and rely on late round draft picks to contribute.

#6-10Again

EDS
03-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Seattle D is young, sound, quick, smart and well coached ...... pretty close to what we have!

Very similar, except for the results on the field . . .

l3ills
03-04-2014, 11:23 AM
Mack out of UB. Please.

jimmifli
03-04-2014, 11:30 AM
We should release a few more of our good players.

TacklingDummy
03-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Move Kyle Williams to DE and get a bigger body at DT.

Generalissimus Gibby
03-04-2014, 03:56 PM
Add booby traps and landmines to the playing field at the Ralph?

Mace
03-04-2014, 05:42 PM
I'd like to think they'll draft another 3 down LB to pair with Alonso, and another DT bruiser to rotate with Williams and Dareus, but I'd be content if they just grabbed a bunch of really fat guys to fall down in front of running backs and grab at their laces until someone else can catch them.

I remember also wanting the lace clutching fat guys back in the Jauron days. I thought it was finally happening with Jasper ("look Michael, all you have to do is fall down in the way of people and someone else will grab them, wave your arms when you do to try and snag some cleats"), but nooooo, no no. They insist on using better athletes who can't obstruct anything or tackle running backs.

At the very least they need to hire worse groundskeepers to slow the field down for the home games while marking the running lanes with clumps of old chewing tobacco to make the good running areas stand out to our backs.

tampabay25690
03-04-2014, 06:33 PM

You hit this 100%% IMO
I think that will be the focus. Wouldn't surprise me if that's the 1st name we hear the Bills bring in!!!

The Jokeman
03-04-2014, 07:46 PM
You hit this 100%% IMO
I think that will be the focus. Wouldn't surprise me if that's the 1st name we hear the Bills bring in!!!
If Whaley holds true to his word that he wants dust settlers in free agency I doubt we'll be hearing Spikes' name. Instead expect names like Vilma and/or Desmond Bishop. I also wouldn't be shocked if we take a run at Jasper Brinkley who was recently cut by the Cardinals as he had his best season in 2011 season in Minnesota under our current LB coach. I can't see us going after a Cam Thomas though as Kyle Williams is entrenched as a starter until his contract is up. Yet I'd be in favor of looking for a run stuffer in the draft in Round 5 and later. The name I came up with in a recent post that we might go after is DeAndre Coleman as he could offer up a similar skill set as Alex Carrington but in a big body.

JoeMama
03-04-2014, 08:18 PM
It's amazing the run D isn't vastly improved already.

A D-Line composed of K. Williams, M. Williams, M. Dareus, and to a lesser extent A. Branch is pretty solid.

Our linebackers are serviceable between M. Lawson, J. Hughes, K. Alonso.

You'd think RBs would be running into a wall with those guys up front.

YardRat
03-04-2014, 08:28 PM

A D-Line composed of K. Williams, M. Williams, M. Dareus, and to a lesser extent A. Branch is pretty solid.

The problem is, with KW and Kiko ducking and weaving it opens up holes in the middle for a RB...makes the choice easy. That's why this D needs bigger, stronger bodies at DT and MLB to stand guys up and make the running back guess, instead of vice versa. I think Kyle and Kiko are great players, but it is what it is, and the defense would be better against the run by plugging in somebody else and moving them around to maximize their strengths.

Mace
03-04-2014, 09:32 PM

Not really, Mario is the luxury pass rusher who doesn't fall down and get dirty. Except Kyle Williams is also a pass rusher who doesn't stop the run, and Jerry Hughes is a pass rusher who doesn't stop the run, and Manny Lawson at 6'5" 240 is, well a pass rusher who doesn't stop the run but has a clue in space against a TE.

Dareus, I sure don't know, thought he was a dual purpose run/pass DT, Branch is run stopper, Alonso is an MLB supposed to flow to the play and cover gaps & seams, which he did but for some reason people figured not good enough though he rates up with the best MLB's and just started his career, calling defense, and pro weight training.

But the thing is, you can afford a couple luxury exclusive pass rushers, you can't afford 4 of them at once or people will run on you. A Mario buys you a Lawson, a Kyle buys you a Hughes, half your line and half your lb's at the same time being not rush oriented, to me anyway, leads to being gashed, like we are often gashed, by not good backs, because they just run at the pass rushers who run past them.

Maybe I am missing some nuance, but it always looks the same to me even I watch the new film which is all over the place. We have three guys a play trotting around the QB, and one lineman running like a maniac after someone who got past them while Alonso tries to catch them with some tight end he was trying to cover and a blocking back he tried to engage into the seam both snickering at him 30 feet away from a different seam everyone else ran past.

JoeMama
03-05-2014, 01:27 AM
The problem is, with KW and Kiko ducking and weaving it opens up holes in the middle for a RB...makes the choice easy. That's why this D needs bigger, stronger bodies at DT and MLB to stand guys up and make the running back guess, instead of vice versa. I think Kyle and Kiko are great players, but it is what it is, and the defense would be better against the run by plugging in somebody else and moving them around to maximize their strengths.

So in other words, we need another Ted Washington and Sam Cowart on the roster at DT and MLB respectively.

YardRat
03-05-2014, 05:57 AM
My lone, minor, nagging hesitation to moving Kiko outside is his ability to set the defense. That can be overcome, though, with him helping the new guy in the middle in-game call the plays.

The Jokeman
03-05-2014, 12:36 PM

The problem is Kyle and Dareus aren't space eating DTs but instead pentrators/pass rushers. One would think Alan Branch would fit this mold being the Cardinals let him walk and drafted Dan Willaims to replace him that tells me he doesn't fit the mold as what the Bills lack is a NT.