• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Is Kaep worth 18M per season?

Thanks to the new collective bargaining agreed to before the 2011 season, players can extend or alter their contracts after their third year in the league. Quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who led the 49ers to back-to-back NFC Championship games and a Super Bowlappearance, just finished his third season. He's set to make a base salary of $973,766 in 2014 but is looking for substantially more than that.
    Kaepernick and the 49ers have begun discussions about a new deal and according to theBoston Globe's Ben Volin, the former second-round pick is looking for something along the lines of Jay Cutler's recent contract that pays him $18.1 million per season with $38 million guaranteed.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• jdaltroy5
    • Aug 2012

Re: Is Kaep worth 18M per season?

No, but if he hits the open market, someone will pay that to him.

Comment

• The Jokeman
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by jdaltroy5 View Post
      No, but if he hits the open market, someone will pay that to him.
      That's just it though Kaep's under contract isn't up until the end of the upcoming season. I think the 49ers are making a mistake negotiating him now.

Comment

• Downinfloflo
        Victimizing The Victimizer
        • Aug 2012

I get the feeling he's going to implode from the pressure put on him.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
          • Sep 2012

Ehhhh.... I wouldn't give him that deal this year but if he is more consistent this season I would next year. Maybe there's a compromise where they can up his salary for this season and take another run at it in 2015.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
            Ehhhh.... I wouldn't give him that deal this year but if he is more consistent this season I would next year. Maybe there's a compromise where they can up his salary for this season and take another run at it in 2015.
            If he wants the deal now, I would want to pay a lower number.

He won't get more than $18 Million even if he makes the Pro Bowl & wins the Super Bowl next year.

Comment

• Buffalogic
              Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
              • Feb 2006

This guy sucks. He doesn't deserve more than a backup qb contract because that's all he is. Dude choked away the entire fourth quarter singlehandedly. He's an out of position WR. That's it.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by better days View Post
                If he wants the deal now, I would want to pay a lower number.

He won't get more than $18 Million even if he makes the Pro Bowl & wins the Super Bowl next year.
                You can't be serious. If he makes the Pro Bowl and wins a Super Bowl, he will absolutely make $18 million+ on the open market. That would give him a resume on par to Joe Flacco's last year, better than Cutler's, and he's younger than Romo. As of now, his only other competition on that year's FA market would be Andy Dalton, and Kaep would be a much bigger prize.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                  Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                  • Feb 2006

You can't be serious. If he makes the Pro Bowl and wins a Super Bowl, he will absolutely make $18 million+ on the open market. That would give him a resume on par to Joe Flacco's last year, better than Cutler's, and he's younger than Romo. As of now, his only other competition on that year's FA market would be Andy Dalton, and Kaep would be a much bigger prize.
                  Why? His individual performance is much worse that all of those guys and they are mediocre. Kaep is a backup QB at best but really more of a fifth receiver. The dude is just along for the ride. He'd be a terrible player on a bad team.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Anybody want to guess my answer?
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

If he makes the pro Bowl & wins the Super Bowl, there is NO WAY he hits the open market.

At worst, the 49ers tag him which will be much less than $18 Million.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Wagon Circler View Post
                        Why? His individual performance is much worse that all of those guys and they are mediocre.
                        Right now? Sure(debatable about Cutler), but better days is talking about him making a Pro Bowl and winning a Super Bowl. That kinda changes his individual performace, don't you think?

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by better days View Post
                          If he makes the pro Bowl & wins the Super Bowl, there is NO WAY he hits the open market.

At worst, the 49ers tag him which will be much less than $18 Million.
                          The QB Franchise tag this year is $16.9 million, and it went up over $2 mill from last year. And that's if they tag him at the "non-exclusive" rate and risk him being signed away for two firsts.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Right now? Sure(debatable about Cutler), but better days is talking about him making a Pro Bowl and winning a Super Bowl. That kinda changes his individual performace, don't you think?
                            I said IF he were to do that, VERY UNLIKELY IMO that it actually happens.

But as I said even if Kaep did make the Pro Bowl & win the Super Bowl, he would not get more than $18 Mill/yr. Most likely LESS.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

The QB Franchise tag this year is $16.9 million, and it went up over $2 mill from last year. And that's if they tag him at the "non-exclusive" rate and risk him being signed away for two firsts.
                              In other words, LESS ​than $18 Mill.

Comment

Working...
                              X