We all like Bryd and he is a great player, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DesertFox24
    • Jul 2005

We all like Bryd and he is a great player, but...

Really even before it looked like Bryd was gone did he really win us a game, did he help our run defense?

Look I am not devaluing the guy, he is a great player and great total safety.

My point is this, does Bryd make our defense elite, does losing bryd make our defense terrible, does Bryd get us to the playoffs?

Bryd helps make the defense better no doubt about it, but they were not elite last year with him and to be honest the drop off without him was not that great. Our problems on defense were boundary corner when Gilmore was hurt and run defense.

Bryd does not get us to the playoffs no doubt about it.

The only way the Bills will get to the playoffs is if EJ becomes a good qb, or the bills get a good qb. That is it, look at the Pats, Green Bay, etc...

Teams with good QBs make the playoffs everything else is just icing but the QB is the cake or the Baby as Buddy would put it.

Lastly is 10 million a year for a safety what we all wanted, that is overpaying for a player that was not the difference between elite defense and not.
  • DynaPaul
    • Sep 2003

Re: We all like Bryd and he is a great player, but...

$10 million a year is a lot for a Safety not named Troy Polamalu, Jack Tatum, Ed Reed, or Ronnie Lott. While I wanted to keep the guy his demands were insane. The only team that's going to pay him that much is most likely another losing franchise where he won't get them over the hump. That's just reality.

Comment

• jdaltroy5
      • Aug 2012

Here we go.

And Jason Peters and Pat Williams were fat slobs, Clements and Windfield were overrated, LG isn't important, etc...

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by jdaltroy5 View Post

Here we go.

And Jason Peters and Pat Williams were fat slobs, Clements and Windfield were overrated, LG isn't important, etc...
        I know. We could have written these posts months ago.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• DynaPaul
          • Sep 2003

Here we go.

Well, I'm not saying the guy sucks or isn't valuable. It's just that his contract demands are slightly too high and it looks like he doesn't want to be here anyway. Is he a great player? Yes. Will he be great on another team? Yes. Will he be the magic elixir on another defense or live up to his paycheck? Probably not. That said he should still be a Bill but mark it down as another kick in the ass from his difficult agent Eugene Parker.

Comment

• jimmifli
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
            Really even before it looked like Bryd was gone did he really win us a game,
            Yes. Several.

But I don't feel bad because I heard his plantar fasciitis was actually injured while kicking puppies at Children's Hospital.

Comment

• DesertFox24
              • Jul 2005

Here we go.

I was very upset about Peters and Pat Williams leaving those are important positions.

I also wanted Winfield to stay, Clements demands were a little for a guy who was not a shut down corner.

Comment

• RedEyE
                • Jul 2002

This all comes down to Byrd and where he wants to be. I will not be surprised to see him sign elsewhere for less than what is on the table now from Buffalo.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DynaPaul View Post
                  Well, I'm not saying the guy sucks or isn't valuable. It's just that his contract demands are slightly too high and it looks like he doesn't want to be here anyway. Is he a great player? Yes. Will he be great on another team? Yes. Will he be the magic elixir on another defense or live up to his paycheck? Probably not. That said he should still be a Bill but mark it down as another kick in the ass from his difficult agent Eugene Parker.
                  The market determine's his salary not the player and being he's the best Safety on the market he will demand the highest salary for his position and likely get a 4 or 5 year deal. We can complain all we want that he doesn't deserve the money etc. or it's hard to justify paying him x amount of money. Well truth be told we're severely underpaying the QB, TE and LB positions and as a result we can afford to overpay the S position until Manuel's contract runs out. As it's called managing the cap.

Comment

• JoeMama
                    Emotion Sickness
                    • Oct 2002

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
                    I was very upset about Peters and Pat Williams leaving those are important positions.

I also wanted Winfield to stay, Clements demands were a little for a guy who was not a shut down corner.
                    Did you mean a little "too high?"

I think San Fran signed him to a contract that briefly made him the highest paid defender in the NFL after he left Buffalo.
                    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• jdaltroy5
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by DynaPaul View Post
                      This is what drives me nuts about some fans.

Who cares if his contract demands are slightly too high?

Yours would be too if you had to play across the country for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 15 years.

An extra million or two is nothing considering we will most likely have over $30 million in cap space after roster cuts.

Comment

• JoeMama
                        Emotion Sickness
                        • Oct 2002

This is what drives me nuts about some fans.

Who cares if his contract demands are slightly too high?

Yours would be too if you had to play across the country for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 15 years.

An extra million or two is nothing considering we will most likely have over $30 million in cap space after roster cuts.
                        Exactly, it's called a compensating wage differential.

It's when an organization offers marginally higher pay to make up for working in less desirable conditions relative to the rest of the industry.

And it's exactly what the Bills have to do until we start winning games and become a more desirable franchise to play for.
                        Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• jdaltroy5
                          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                          Exactly, it's called a compensating wage differential.

It's when an organization offers marginally higher pay to make up for working in less desirable conditions relative to the rest of the industry.

And it's exactly what the Bills have to do until we start winning games and become a more desirable franchise to play for.
                          Yeah sure, if you want to use all them fancy words like some college boy.

Comment

• JoeMama
                            Emotion Sickness
                            • Oct 2002

Yeah sure, if you want to use all them fancy words like some college boy.
                            mah mawm sez eye'm teh smrtest boiy in meddle skhool

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                              • Sep 2003

Look morons, if a guy doesn't want to stay in buffalo there is nothing you can do about it! Peters was offered a contract but wasn't going to stay and the same with Byrd. Get over it!

Comment

Working...
                              X