I just get the feeling that Byrd was never ranked that high by the current management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

I just get the feeling that Byrd was never ranked that high by the current management

Notice that Whaley said Byrd was a Good NFL player in the past and current. If you listen to his recent talk, he said Good with a little hesitation, in the sense that I think he thought about using the word "Great" but did not come out that way.

There are other instances when he was pressed about building defense and he said he'd rather starts with DEs and CBs, which is surprising to me a bit because I'd build defense around great players, regardless position -- Steelers got Polamalu and shifted schemes to maximize his talent.

NFL.com also reported that the Bills thought there is a market for Byrd, explored it, found none, which helped making the decision of not tagging him. That is consistent with local media reports as well.

As it stands, the Bills are expecting to get a 3rd round comp. pick from Byrd if they don't make a big splash in signing some big name free agents.

I'm not discounting the fact they do want to sign him to a deal they want, like making Byrd the highest paid safty in the next couple of years. After all, Byrd is a player between Good to Great by most people. But the Bills do have A. Williams which ideally plays the same position as Byrd and is in fact has better physical attributes than Byrd. Byrd is more instinctive though. But again A. Williams was playing the wrong position until last year, you don't know how much growth he may have had should he started FS to begin with; probabaly not as good as Byrd (who was sensational in his 1st year), but maybe close?

As far as SS, the Bills have a number of options, Searcy, Duke, and a few others they drafted in recent years. Overall, I think the Bills are not in a bad position when they lose Byrd -- make no mistake Byrd is gone despite the not closing the door remarks. This is not Levitre II where they had no viable alternative on hand.

I'm not trying to looking at the glass half full in this situation -- they deserved criticism for the single biggest mis-management on LG last year. I just don't see the Byrd case creating a similar hole. Signing Byrd is like adding luxury which they can surely enjoy; but the biggest needs this off season remain LG/ILB, RT, and TE in that order.
  • Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Re: I just get the feeling that Byrd was never ranked that high by the current manage

He's a very good player....when healthy, just like everyone else.

I think any team that makes him an offer is going to want to take a long look at his feet.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
      • Aug 2004

Re: I just get the feeling that Byrd was never ranked that high by the current manage

At least the Bills got to see what Byrd's replacement did this past year. They never saw adequate play from Levitre's replacement before Levitre left.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Historian View Post
        He's a very good player....when healthy, just like everyone else.

I think any team that makes him an offer is going to want to take a long look at his feet
        especially rex ryan
        I came.
        I saw.
        I conquered.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
          Skoobasaurus-Rex
          • Oct 2011

It's a step in the right direction.

Comment

• Buffalogic
            Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
            • Feb 2006

Maybe he will reconsider, but at the very least please Byrd don't sign in the division.

Comment

• jimmifli
              • Nov 2006

I see we're in the "diminish his skills" phase of the Bills offseason.

Comment

• EDS
                • Jan 2003

Bleeding high-end talent in favor of mediocre talent is a sure recipe for success.

Comment

• Dr. Who
                  • Jul 2002

Well, I think it's possible Aaron Williams is better than mediocre.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                    • Aug 2004

Saw his interview with Hannah on ESPN an hour ago. He does not sound like a guy will be back to the Bills at all: deflected all the questions regarding the possibility resigning with the Bills, more on the line of "having to roll with with the situation," like he was told not to return.

She asked her about Pettine and Kelly of the Eagles. He basically wished Pettine well in Cleveland. On Kelly, he said he likes the coach; wait and see what happens.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dr. Who View Post
                      Well, I think it's possible Aaron Williams is better than mediocre.
                      Better hope he isn't, or else we'll be watching him walk in 2015.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• The King
                        Without me it's just Awe so
                        • Jun 2004

From what I have seen the Bills offered him 9.5M. And he walked I would say they rank him pretty high.
                        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                        It was all
                        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                          • Aug 2004

Ranked him high for the short term.

Somewhat interesting the Bills in the Steelers land -

They cannot reach agreement to Worilds so they transition tagged him. The increased 2014 cap really helped them as they just needed to re-do Heath Miller's contract to fit Worilds transition tag amount under the cap. They still have cap problems. As soon as they sign Worilds, they can release Woodley, someone the Bills may have an interest. But releasing Woodley does not really give the steelers any cap relief; which leads to Polamalu, yes the perceived untouchable Polamalu who's in his last year $9.5 mil. Ideally, the Steelers would to extend him one more year and reduce cap hit at the same time, but Polamalu is no dummie. This is probably his last time to see big dollars. There is some small noise that the Steelers may make a move if they cannot reduce his cap should they have to match an offer for Worilds that has a high 2014 cap hit ... I'd be glad to make Polamalu the highest paid safty for 3 years, even part way with a low round pick.

Comment

• GingerP
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
                            I see we're in the "diminish his skills" phase of the Bills offseason.
                            This reminds me of the novel 1984. Byrd is officially becoming and "unperson" and any reference to him is being systematically removed. They already took away half his interceptions because they were thrown right to him by bad QBs. He is too slow to cover the field and can't tackle. Such is life in Oceania.

Comment

• jimmifli
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by GingerP View Post
                              This reminds me of the novel 1984. Byrd is officially becoming and "unperson" and any reference to him is being systematically removed. They already took away half his interceptions because they were thrown right to him by bad QBs. He is too slow to cover the field and can't tackle. Such is life in Oceania.
                              He's also soft against the run, not a good teammate, hates the city of Buffalo, plays a useless position and has never won us a game.

Comment

Working...
                              X