PDA

View Full Version : I just get the feeling that Byrd was never ranked that high by the current management

ghz in pittsburgh
03-04-2014, 08:00 AM
Notice that Whaley said Byrd was a Good NFL player in the past and current. If you listen to his recent talk, he said Good with a little hesitation, in the sense that I think he thought about using the word "Great" but did not come out that way.

There are other instances when he was pressed about building defense and he said he'd rather starts with DEs and CBs, which is surprising to me a bit because I'd build defense around great players, regardless position -- Steelers got Polamalu and shifted schemes to maximize his talent.

NFL.com also reported that the Bills thought there is a market for Byrd, explored it, found none, which helped making the decision of not tagging him. That is consistent with local media reports as well.

As it stands, the Bills are expecting to get a 3rd round comp. pick from Byrd if they don't make a big splash in signing some big name free agents.

I'm not discounting the fact they do want to sign him to a deal they want, like making Byrd the highest paid safty in the next couple of years. After all, Byrd is a player between Good to Great by most people. But the Bills do have A. Williams which ideally plays the same position as Byrd and is in fact has better physical attributes than Byrd. Byrd is more instinctive though. But again A. Williams was playing the wrong position until last year, you don't know how much growth he may have had should he started FS to begin with; probabaly not as good as Byrd (who was sensational in his 1st year), but maybe close?

As far as SS, the Bills have a number of options, Searcy, Duke, and a few others they drafted in recent years. Overall, I think the Bills are not in a bad position when they lose Byrd -- make no mistake Byrd is gone despite the not closing the door remarks. This is not Levitre II where they had no viable alternative on hand.

I'm not trying to looking at the glass half full in this situation -- they deserved criticism for the single biggest mis-management on LG last year. I just don't see the Byrd case creating a similar hole. Signing Byrd is like adding luxury which they can surely enjoy; but the biggest needs this off season remain LG/ILB, RT, and TE in that order.

Historian
03-04-2014, 08:06 AM
He's a very good player....when healthy, just like everyone else.

I think any team that makes him an offer is going to want to take a long look at his feet.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-04-2014, 08:17 AM
At least the Bills got to see what Byrd's replacement did this past year. They never saw adequate play from Levitre's replacement before Levitre left.

kscdogbillsfan1221
03-04-2014, 08:29 AM
He's a very good player....when healthy, just like everyone else.

I think any team that makes him an offer is going to want to take a long look at his feet.

especially rex ryan

Skooby
03-04-2014, 08:32 AM
It's a step in the right direction.

Buffalogic
03-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Maybe he will reconsider, but at the very least please Byrd don't sign in the division.

jimmifli
03-04-2014, 09:12 AM
I see we're in the "diminish his skills" phase of the Bills offseason.

EDS
03-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Bleeding high-end talent in favor of mediocre talent is a sure recipe for success.

Dr. Who
03-04-2014, 09:45 AM
Well, I think it's possible Aaron Williams is better than mediocre.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-04-2014, 09:51 AM
Saw his interview with Hannah on ESPN an hour ago. He does not sound like a guy will be back to the Bills at all: deflected all the questions regarding the possibility resigning with the Bills, more on the line of "having to roll with with the situation," like he was told not to return.

She asked her about Pettine and Kelly of the Eagles. He basically wished Pettine well in Cleveland. On Kelly, he said he likes the coach; wait and see what happens.

IlluminatusUIUC
03-04-2014, 09:54 AM
Well, I think it's possible Aaron Williams is better than mediocre.

Better hope he isn't, or else we'll be watching him walk in 2015.

The King
03-04-2014, 09:55 AM
From what I have seen the Bills offered him 9.5M. And he walked I would say they rank him pretty high.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-04-2014, 10:16 AM
Ranked him high for the short term.

Somewhat interesting the Bills in the Steelers land -

They cannot reach agreement to Worilds so they transition tagged him. The increased 2014 cap really helped them as they just needed to re-do Heath Miller's contract to fit Worilds transition tag amount under the cap. They still have cap problems. As soon as they sign Worilds, they can release Woodley, someone the Bills may have an interest. But releasing Woodley does not really give the steelers any cap relief; which leads to Polamalu, yes the perceived untouchable Polamalu who's in his last year $9.5 mil. Ideally, the Steelers would to extend him one more year and reduce cap hit at the same time, but Polamalu is no dummie. This is probably his last time to see big dollars. There is some small noise that the Steelers may make a move if they cannot reduce his cap should they have to match an offer for Worilds that has a high 2014 cap hit ... I'd be glad to make Polamalu the highest paid safty for 3 years, even part way with a low round pick.

GingerP
03-04-2014, 11:03 AM

This reminds me of the novel 1984. Byrd is officially becoming and "unperson" and any reference to him is being systematically removed. They already took away half his interceptions because they were thrown right to him by bad QBs. He is too slow to cover the field and can't tackle. Such is life in Oceania.

jimmifli
03-04-2014, 11:06 AM
This reminds me of the novel 1984. Byrd is officially becoming and "unperson" and any reference to him is being systematically removed. They already took away half his interceptions because they were thrown right to him by bad QBs. He is too slow to cover the field and can't tackle. Such is life in Oceania.
He's also soft against the run, not a good teammate, hates the city of Buffalo, plays a useless position and has never won us a game.

coastal
03-04-2014, 11:08 AM
Eugene Parker isn't worry dealing with.

GingerP
03-04-2014, 11:10 AM
He's also soft against the run, not a good teammate, hates the city of Buffalo, plays a useless position and has never won us a game.

Don't forge the foot problems, he has bad feet.

better days
03-04-2014, 11:14 AM
Better hope he isn't, or else we'll be watching him walk in 2015.

I didn't know Parker was Williams agent.

The last buffalo fan
03-04-2014, 12:11 PM
Don't forge the foot problems, he has bad feet.

Please also add his ****ing name while you are there, Jairus Byrd!

cookie G
03-04-2014, 12:13 PM

Eh, I was always in that phase with him. I never really was with Peters, Lynch or Levitre. I doubt I will be with Spiller.

I am in the "If we can offer him 9 million, we can offer someone else 9 million..but probably won't" phase of the off season.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, there is that too.

swiper
03-04-2014, 12:19 PM
Notice that Whaley said Byrd was a Good NFL player in the past and current. If you listen to his recent talk, he said Good with a little hesitation, in the sense that I think he thought about using the word "Great" but did not come out that way.

There are other instances when he was pressed about building defense and he said he'd rather starts with DEs and CBs, which is surprising to me a bit because I'd build defense around great players, regardless position -- Steelers got Polamalu and shifted schemes to maximize his talent.

NFL.com also reported that the Bills thought there is a market for Byrd, explored it, found none, which helped making the decision of not tagging him. That is consistent with local media reports as well.

As it stands, the Bills are expecting to get a 3rd round comp. pick from Byrd if they don't make a big splash in signing some big name free agents.

I'm not discounting the fact they do want to sign him to a deal they want, like making Byrd the highest paid safty in the next couple of years. After all, Byrd is a player between Good to Great by most people. But the Bills do have A. Williams which ideally plays the same position as Byrd and is in fact has better physical attributes than Byrd. Byrd is more instinctive though. But again A. Williams was playing the wrong position until last year, you don't know how much growth he may have had should he started FS to begin with; probabaly not as good as Byrd (who was sensational in his 1st year), but maybe close?

As far as SS, the Bills have a number of options, Searcy, Duke, and a few others they drafted in recent years. Overall, I think the Bills are not in a bad position when they lose Byrd -- make no mistake Byrd is gone despite the not closing the door remarks. This is not Levitre II where they had no viable alternative on hand.

I'm not trying to looking at the glass half full in this situation -- they deserved criticism for the single biggest mis-management on LG last year. I just don't see the Byrd case creating a similar hole. Signing Byrd is like adding luxury which they can surely enjoy; but the biggest needs this off season remain LG/ILB, RT, and TE in that order.

Good post. The only thing I disagree with is that Aaron Williams is much more a SS than a FS.

better days
03-04-2014, 12:24 PM
Good post. The only thing I disagree with is that Aaron Williams is much more a SS than a FS.

Williams played FS while Byrd sat out with his "injury". And he played FS VERY WELL.

swiper
03-04-2014, 12:26 PM
He was ok. Not great. Just ok. He didn't embarrass himself with regularity.

better days
03-04-2014, 12:31 PM
He was ok. Not great. Just ok. He didn't embarrass himself with regularity.

He played much better than OK.

swiper
03-04-2014, 12:38 PM
No he didn't.

You want to put him in the Pro Bowl now too?

better days
03-04-2014, 12:42 PM
No he didn't.

You want to put him in the Pro Bowl now too?

Williams to the Pro Bowl NEXT season.

And yeah, Williams played MUCH BETTER than OK last year.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

swiper
03-04-2014, 12:47 PM
Just because he played FS better than he played CB doesn't mean he excelled at that position. He's a hitter. Put him at SS. It's his natural position in the secondary.

better days
03-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Just because he played FS better than he played CB doesn't mean he excelled at that position. He's a hitter. Put him at SS. It's his natural position in the secondary.

Williams has the SPEED to cover WR's.

FS is his natural position.

swiper
03-04-2014, 01:00 PM
Williams has the SPEED to cover WR's.

FS is his natural position.

If Williams had speed then he would have stayed a CB. He has upper body strength and is a hitter. He is a SS.

better days
03-04-2014, 01:03 PM
If Williams had speed then he would have stayed a CB. He has upper body strength and is a hitter. He is a SS.

He was always in GOOD POSITION at CB.

His problem was he could not make a play on the ball.

Hopefully Henderson has taught him some things about that.

swiper
03-04-2014, 01:10 PM

His problem was he could not make a play on the ball.

Hopefully Henderson has taught him some things about that.

A) George Catavolos was a far, far, far better secondary coach than Henderson ever will be.

B) You're really digging yourself a deep hole with this statement:

Because that's not true whatsoever.

better days
03-04-2014, 01:14 PM
A) George Catavolos was a far, far, far better secondary coach than Henderson ever will be.

B) You're really digging yourself a deep hole with this statement:

Because that's not true whatsoever.

I think you are the person digging his own hole.

The Bills secondary played better last year than they ever did under Catavolos who is no longer Coaching.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-04-2014, 02:09 PM
I have to side with better days on tihis argument. I believe A. Williams is better suited to be FS, has the speed to cover ground and loves to hit. Even Byrd credited Williams for one of his INT because Williams alerted Byrd before the snap last season. So Williams seems to have the center field mentality.

Byrd has exceptional ball skills, which always gets you on NFL highlights. Williams has more speed but does not have Byrd's hands. Clearly Byrd and Williams were head and shoulder better than other safeties, plus Pettine likes to confuse offense, that's why they were on the field at the same time a lot last year. In that case, Williams always liked to SS position, but I think he's more suited for FS.

jimmifli
03-04-2014, 02:29 PM
Eh, I was always in that phase with him. I never really was with Peters, Lynch or Levitre. I doubt I will be with Spiller.

I am in the "If we can offer him 9 million, we can offer someone else 9 million..but probably won't" phase of the off season.

That's the part I don't get. Even if you're right about his skills (you aren't), the team is worse for not re-signing him, and a LOOOOOOOONG history tells us they won't use the money saved to upgrade the team. Plus, with so many teams having big cap numbers, we're either going to overpay or sit out "this year's crazy market". It's not a good time to be a Bills fan and nobody should be applauding this.

better days
03-04-2014, 04:02 PM
It's an excellent time to be a Bills fan...my gawd, look at all the shekels we're saving!

It's too bad the shekel has been devalued.

cookie G
03-04-2014, 06:14 PM
That's the part I don't get. Even if you're right about his skills (You were right, Cookie, you were right....tell your sister...you were rigggghhhtt), the team is worse for not re-signing him, and a LOOOOOOOONG history tells us they won't use the money saved to upgrade the team. Plus, with so many teams having big cap numbers, we're either going to overpay or sit out "this year's crazy market". It's not a good time to be a Bills fan and nobody should be applauding this.

I'm not applauding anything because:

a) we aren't going to spend the money saved, and;

2) We're going to draft a DB in the first 2 rounds...again...

PS..its time for another session of "Ask Jimmifli"

Get on it.

YardRat
03-04-2014, 07:00 PM
I think A.Williams has the potential to be a really good free safety, also. He's faster than Byrd for sure, and a bigger hitter. In all honesty I didn't focus on AW's play and positioning that much when he was in at FS, so I'll decline commenting on whether his performance was 'good' or 'great' or 'mediocre' prior to Byrd coming back to the line up.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-04-2014, 08:18 PM
I think A.Williams has the potential to be a really good free safety, also. He's faster than Byrd for sure, and a bigger hitter. In all honesty I didn't focus on AW's play and positioning that much when he was in at FS, so I'll decline commenting on whether his performance was 'good' or 'great' or 'mediocre' prior to Byrd coming back to the line up.
He's catching on.

Byrd, being from NFL family, has a nose for football. Very instinctive. From what I saw last year, A. Williams can be fairly good in that department. With his speed, the overall result might be very close. But I don't think he'll ever has the hands of Byrd.

ParanoidAndroid
03-04-2014, 08:43 PM
I have to side with better days on tihis argument. I believe A. Williams is better suited to be FS, has the speed to cover ground and loves to hit. Even Byrd credited Williams for one of his INT because Williams alerted Byrd before the snap last season. So Williams seems to have the center field mentality.

Byrd has exceptional ball skills, which always gets you on NFL highlights. Williams has more speed but does not have Byrd's hands. Clearly Byrd and Williams were head and shoulder better than other safeties, plus Pettine likes to confuse offense, that's why they were on the field at the same time a lot last year. In that case, Williams always liked to SS position, but I think he's more suited for FS.

Current NFL defenses don't necessarily use the traditional SS and FS. Most alignments these days utilize versatility in both of their safeties as Pettine did.

YardRat
03-05-2014, 05:20 AM
Current NFL defenses don't necessarily use the traditional SS and FS. Most alignments these days utilize versatility in both of their safeties as Pettine did.

While true, the versatility is usually restricted to a few gimmick formations to change things up. Byrd predominantly played the deep middle cover 1 FS.

swiper
03-05-2014, 07:39 AM

Well that certainly puts an end to the "discussion." :D

Dr. Who
03-05-2014, 09:59 AM
It's an excellent time to be a Bills fan...my gawd, look at all the shekels we're saving!

Your avatar added to your clever statement is offensive.

Victor7
03-05-2014, 10:02 AM
He was ranked high by management. Which is exactly why he's now on his way out. High ranking means high pay. That's a big no no for Russ, Ralph, Litmann and the gang.

Watch us not spend the money saved on him and be around 20+ in cap space again.

Aaron Williams is a good player. He's not Byrd like. We are worse without Byrd. Case closed.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-06-2014, 06:40 AM
He was ranked high by management. Which is exactly why he's now on his way out. High ranking means high pay. That's a big no no for Russ, Ralph, Litmann and the gang.

Watch us not spend the money saved on him and be around 20+ in cap space again.

Aaron Williams is a good player. He's not Byrd like. We are worse without Byrd. Case closed.

Unless I didn't detect the sarcasm, I believe the play of A. Williams, especially at the beginning of the last season when he plays in Byrd's place, opened Bills management eyes. True Byrd is better than AW, right now. But we also know Byrd is what he is, whereas AW still have growth potential at safety. Therefore I understand the Bills logic of giving Byrd top safety money for a couple of years but they'd rather invest long term in AW's future. There is a far better chance of a 24 year old (actually AW is still 23) playing at his peak level for 5 years than a 27 year old worth of 10 million dollars a year in his last 2 of a 5-6 year deal. I think the Byrd camp sees that clearly as well in terms of contract structure. Everyone makes the best decision on their side of perspective, which is fine in my book.

Had the Bills on the verge of a superbowl run, like the Seahawks were last year at this time, I'd think differently. But the fact is we are not. Quite far away in fact.

Victor7
03-06-2014, 11:33 AM
Unless I didn't detect the sarcasm, I believe the play of A. Williams, especially at the beginning of the last season when he plays in Byrd's place, opened Bills management eyes. True Byrd is better than AW, right now. But we also know Byrd is what he is, whereas AW still have growth potential at safety. Therefore I understand the Bills logic of giving Byrd top safety money for a couple of years but they'd rather invest long term in AW's future. There is a far better chance of a 24 year old (actually AW is still 23) playing at his peak level for 5 years than a 27 year old worth of 10 million dollars a year in his last 2 of a 5-6 year deal. I think the Byrd camp sees that clearly as well in terms of contract structure. Everyone makes the best decision on their side of perspective, which is fine in my book.

Had the Bills on the verge of a superbowl run, like the Seahawks were last year at this time, I'd think differently. But the fact is we are not. Quite far away in fact.

I see what you're saying. Its a well thought out response. But AW is not an elite player. He maybe some day. Which is what I believe you're saying the Bills are betting on. What are the odds he demands a new deal if he does become elite and "outplays" his deal ?? Will we pony up ?? Too uncertain to tell.

Byrd is already elite. A sure thing. Obviously older than AW but you know what you are getting and he's still in his prime. Besides this all could've been avoided if we had extended Byrd well before things got out of hand. Kind of like we just did with AW. But OBD decided to wait until the very last moment. Stupid.