X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yasgur's Farm
    • Feb 2005

Read it and Cry

Former Buffalo Bills quarterback Jim Kelly endured heartbreaking loss and cancer yet says he's blessed, Rick Reilly writes.

Next time you're running about two quarts low on hope, or feel like you're on the wrong end of God's Whac-A-Mole game, think of Jim Kelly and be glad you're not him.
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Read it and Cry

Tough run but things happen.

Comment

• Historian
      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
      • Dec 2002

Tougher than Pennsylvania steel.

God bless him!

Comment

• The King
        Without me it's just Awe so
        • Jun 2004

Jim Kelly - ESPN Article

Former Buffalo Bills quarterback Jim Kelly endured heartbreaking loss and cancer yet says he's blessed, Rick Reilly writes.

Next time you're running about two quarts low on hope, or feel like you're on the wrong end of God's Whac-A-Mole game, think of Jim Kelly and be glad you're not him.
        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
        It was all
        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

weak shot that jim kelly didn't want to come to buffalo and got exiled here. It's true he didn't want to be here, but fell in love with it and is here by choice.

i would expected that kind of statement from a throwaway blogger (such as myself), but not from reilly.

aside from that, it is insane how much he's gone through. i didn't know about the plane crash. that's insane.

Comment

• Turf
            • Jul 2002

Wow.... so sad to have to live like that..........people don't know how debilitating chronic pain is until you have it.
            Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Luisito23
              Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
              • Apr 2003

Never knew any of this about him before I read this.

He has gone through so much, yet he still stays positive.

I really need to learn a lot from all of this.
              "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
              ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
              ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
              ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Simply an incredible man.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
                weak shot that jim kelly didn't want to come to buffalo and got exiled here. It's true he didn't want to be here, but fell in love with it and is here by choice.

i would expected that kind of statement from a throwaway blogger (such as myself), but not from reilly.
                You're talking about a guy who said on a live mic he wanted credit from Stuart Scott for breaking a story first on Twitter, when he actually didn't. Reilly is trash.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                  • Mar 2013

Living life with chronic pain is something nobody should have to live through.

Living your life dependent upon opiates to alleviate pain is not fair to anyone.

People still wonder why athletes makes so much money.

Jim Kelly and thousands of other pro athletes smoke pot. Mike Peca smoked pot. It's not a big secret.

Many NBA players smoke marijuana.

Many NFL players smoke the herb to help deal with the pain they go through as professional athletes.

They smoke weed to avoid using heavy drugs.

If Brett Favre, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Boomer Esiason, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana, Steve Young, John Elway and a host of other former NFL players united together and came out in favor of legal marijuana, they can help a lot of people.

"I know guys on my team who smoke," Clark said. "A lot of it is stress relief. A lot of it is pain and medication. Guys feel like, 'If I can do this, it keeps me away from maybe Vicodin, it keeps me away from pain prescription drugs and things that guys get addicted to.'

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                    Simply an incredible man.

- - - Updated - - -

You're talking about a guy who said on a live mic he wanted credit from Stuart Scott for breaking a story first on Twitter, when he actually didn't. Reilly is trash.

didn't know that about reilly. I liked his last page articles in SI when i was a kid. usually a little humor, a little human interest and alittle sports.

Comment

Working...
                    X